FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, and I interviewed Joss Whedon (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, and I interviewed Joss Whedon
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
and an upgraded costume.

The blood-red replacing the sterile white was one of the few symbolic images that actually worked for me.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I love picking things apart after they're already out there. And yet, there's something to be said for initial, unconsidered impressions. At first, I liked getting socked in the face with Penny's death (despite expecting it) and the initial feeling of anger and sadness over Horrible's choices. The visceral reaction -- always awesome. And then afterwards, dissecting symbols and lyrics and movements and, it seems at times, eye blinks and head tilts -- well, that's awesome too.

Does that mean every aspect of everything is cool? I don't think I can wrap my noggin around that ;0p

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Figures. I told all my friends that they should watch this hilarious clever sing-along blog, touting it has funny and light, and then Joss has to go and be ... Joss. Now, to be fair, I loved it on a lot of levels. But now I feel bad about my recommendations.

Oh well.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
and an upgraded costume.

The blood-red replacing the sterile white was one of the few symbolic images that actually worked for me.
...And of course, in the last shot, he's wearing dead black...

To clarify, I'm not sure Dr. Horrible is successful in killing his conscience.

Several possibilities occurred to me... One, that Dr. Horrible is deeply haunted by his role in Penny's death. Secondly, that when he says he won't feel anything, we're to take that to include any feelings of accomplishment or happiness at his "success". And thirdly, the possibility that the montage between the final caper and Dr. Horrible's last line is in his mind only, and his last reaction shows the actual emotional aftermath of the results.

In any case, the last shot seems to suggest Dr. Horrible returning to his blog, which doesn't suggest he's doing too well.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One, that Dr. Horrible is deeply haunted by his role in Penny's death. Secondly, that when he says he won't feel anything, we're to take that to include any feelings of accomplishment or happiness at his "success".
I think both those things are true.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Whedon is doing a live chat for the Post at noon today.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
*(&*&@#$(*& I didn't have internet over the weekend so of course when I go to try and watch Episode III now it's taken down. ONLY TWO DAYS AFTER IT AIRED! )*(&(*&(*&

Editted to add: Not only that, but because I run linux I have no access to the itunes store, so I can't even go and buy it! [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
and an upgraded costume.

...And of course, in the last shot, he's wearing dead black...
Which would be one of the pieces of symbolism that was too blatant for me. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
*(&*&@#$(*& I didn't have internet over the weekend so of course when I go to try and watch Episode III now it's taken down. ONLY TWO DAYS AFTER IT AIRED! )*(&(*&(*&

Editted to add: Not only that, but because I run linux I have no access to the itunes store, so I can't even go and buy it! [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

If you have an ftp site, I can put it up there for you. Each piece (as an flv) is a little under 14 Mb.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

I do, but it's down right now. Probably a thunderstorm took out the power or something of that nature. I may send you an e-mail when I can get it back up... if you don't mind. Otherwise I can always just bit torrent it (I think it's small enough that I could manage to bittorrent it from the lab and no one would notice or care). Not having internet from home is rather frustrating sometimes...
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Until the official soundtrack is released, I've been listening to a compilation I found on bittorrent. I think I have almost all the words from "Laundry Day/Freeze Ray" memorized. It'll be nice when the soundtrack comes out just so I'll know what to call each song. I think "On the Rise" is my favorite so far. Ooh, or maybe the "Finale." Grr...I can't decide!

I wonder how many dvds I'd have to buy in order to convince Joss and his friends to do another three acts. I miss the good ole days when we could blame the end of Whedon-related genius on a blind, humorless corporate television network.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
I do, but it's down right now. Probably a thunderstorm took out the power or something of that nature. I may send you an e-mail when I can get it back up... if you don't mind. Otherwise I can always just bit torrent it (I think it's small enough that I could manage to bittorrent it from the lab and no one would notice or care). Not having internet from home is rather frustrating sometimes...

Feel free to e-mail me about it. And if you'd rather have it as mpg rather than flv, let me know that as well, and I'll convert it before uploading it.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
Until the official soundtrack is released, I've been listening to a compilation I found on bittorrent. I think I have almost all the words from "Laundry Day/Freeze Ray" memorized. It'll be nice when the soundtrack comes out just so I'll know what to call each song. I think "On the Rise" is my favorite so far. Ooh, or maybe the "Finale." Grr...I can't decide!

I downloaded a compilation as well, unfortunately it's missing one song (the one Penny sings to Billy in the laundromat before Captain Hammer shows up). It has all the other songs though, which is nice.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
all ye haters must needs chill out. i knoweth not about thee, but i goeth to the theatre for an evening of merry-making. ye who over-analyse such entertainments are geeks.
Why can't you just let a silly spoof be. Joss did say "sillier than I’m allowed to do in the normal course of Hollywood," and “This is just us, this is what we want to do with our time. Everybody is having the time of their lives.” So why are people engaged in discussion over the symbolism. Jeeshh.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So why are people engaged in discussion over the symbolism.
Because this is the internet.

You don't have to participate.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
You missed the point.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't really think much of the symbolism (as in it didn't enter my mind, so I literally didn't think of it). But I still think it's interesting to discuss the thoughts behind it, the moral and message of the story. For instance, I couldn't care less about the colors of his costume. But the effectiveness of Dr. Horrible being an unabashed villain and not coming out as the hero or being regulated to the periphery in any way, while at the same time being a sympathetic, likable, and identifiable character, was brilliant. I loved the tension (at least in myself) between not wanting to root for the villain but not being able to help it because I agree with and like the villain so much.

[Smile]

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wonderful, now I have to pay money if I wish to continue seeing Dr. Horrible. But I suppose I can't complain I got some good laughs for free already.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

Torrent came to my rescue. The third one wasn't nearly as good as the other two. And oddly it felt a lot shorter even though it was longer. Dunno why that is.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
all ye haters must needs chill out. i knoweth not about thee, but i goeth to the theatre for an evening of merry-making. ye who over-analyse such entertainments are geeks.
Why can't you just let a silly spoof be. Joss did say "sillier than I’m allowed to do in the normal course of Hollywood," and “This is just us, this is what we want to do with our time. Everybody is having the time of their lives.” So why are people engaged in discussion over the symbolism. Jeeshh.
How do you feel about literary analysis?

And while I love that quote (it's actually my sig elsewhere), I don't agree with it. I don't find enjoying a piece of entertainment (and actually, I didn't enjoy this one that much) and analyzing it in any way incompatible. If you do, then Scott's comment applies. And this is hardly the first entertainment-related thread on Hatrack to analyze small details of a piece!

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
If you have an ftp site, I can put it up there for you. Each piece (as an flv) is a little under 14 Mb.

You have it downloaded? Could I maybe get you to ftp it to me?

I watched it at work (where I have high speed internet) and would dearly love to show it to my son at home (dial-up - can't load it there); but had no way to capture it to show him.

If you have flv files, I could download them here at work and burn them to disc to take home.

Will VLC Media Player open FLV files?

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
You missed the point.

Personally, I'm now curious what the point was. If it was a joke it didn't come across that way, IMO.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Torrent came to my rescue. The third one wasn't nearly as good as the other two. And oddly it felt a lot shorter even though it was longer. Dunno why that is.

I thought so too, at first, but after watching (well, listening mostly) it more times than I care to admit, I actually think it's really quite good. I don't want to try to rank them, but Act III is definitely not my least favorite anymore.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

quote:
How do you feel about literary analysis?

I Know How I Feel...

disclaimer: i, myself, am an english lit major [Smile]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*giggle*
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

I have extensive hosting services and bandwidth for such a thing. Maybe I can assist...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
If there is symbolism, it will be analyzed. If there is not, it will not be. Since there clearly is, I don't see the problem.

Also, what separates Joss Whedon's pieces of fluff where everyone's having the time of their lives from Somebody Else's piece of fluff where everyone's having the time of their lives is a little bit of intelligence.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
If there is not, it will not be.

Pshaw. Based on some of my college lit classes, I'd say that if there isn't, someone will make some up. [Razz]
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
quote:

You have it downloaded? Could I maybe get you to ftp it to me?
I'd be happy to. Just e-mail me the details of where you want it.

quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
I watched it at work (where I have high speed internet) and would dearly love to show it to my son at home (dial-up - can't load it there); but had no way to capture it to show him.

If you have flv files, I could download them here at work and burn them to disc to take home.

Will VLC Media Player open FLV files?

I just tried. No. But you can download an FLV viewer, or download SUPER to convert it to anything you like. Or I can make them MPGs before I upload them for you. However you'd like it.
Leonide
Member # 4157

quote:
Based on some of my college lit classes, I'd say that if there isn't, someone will make some up.
my experience has been identical to rivka's. as someone who is really good at making connections and creating symbolism where there might not be any to begin with, i say AMEN
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Neil Patrick Harris is doing a chat on the post right now.

My favorite so far:

quote:
Washington, D.C.: I thought Joss Whedon was calling in favors to make Dr. Horrible. How did you get mixed up in that project?

Neil Patrick Harris: I've been clamoring to work with him since Firefly.

He's supertastic.

When he mentioned super villain and musical, I drooled.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

quote:
Darn: I'm straight and I think I'd go out with you. Probably upset the wife and kids, though. So what do you think happened to Doogie? Did he grow up, buy a Porsche and start a family practice in the suburbs?

Neil Patrick Harris: He probably developed an addiction to painkillers and wanders around with a cane at some hospital somewhere...

[ROFL]
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Falls Church, Va.: Do you ever feel deficient because you haven't gone through the standard post-child-star self-destructive freakout? Have you ever considered beating up a prostitute or knocking over a liquor store, you know, just to keep it real?

Neil Patrick Harris: I freaked out a bit. It's tough going through adulthood in Hollywood.

But rather than lash out, I moved back to New Mexico for a spell and spent time rock climbing with friends...

Though, don't underestimate knocking over a liquor store. Their shocked expressions are priceless.

memeyou
Member # 11696

- posted      Profile for memeyou           Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to say that Josh Whedon is my hero (ever since Firefly, of course), and I loved this too

www.foodbared.com - food good enough to blog about

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Just want to say "You're Awesome, Lisa!"

Thanks so much [Smile]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

Does anyone else see that Serenity-Better Days add down at the bottom of the page? Is it just me or does that picture of Mal really, really not look like Nathan Fillion. He looks really strongly like someone else but I can't put my finger on it. It's sorta bothering me.

Edit: Ahah! Got it! He doesn't look like Nathan Fillion, he looks like Bill Pullman.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Time Magazine had a small mention of Dr. Horrible. They gave it an A, and called it the best television to be had, on your computer of course.

[Smile]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Updates from the Dr. Horrible panel at Comic-Con:

There will be a sequel.

The soundtrack will be available for download in a few weeks.

Nathan Fillion wants to do more Firefly episodes because Joss has already killed off all the people he doesn't want to work with again (kidding, I think [Smile] )

And the DVD will include the 10 best video applications for entry into the Evil League of Evil. There's a contest coming...

More details (and some NSFW language) here at io9.com's coverage. More liveblogging here.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pshaw. Based on some of my college lit classes, I'd say that if there isn't, someone will make some up.
Shh. Here there clearly is, so there's no problem. If there wasn't then there might be an argument.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched all three episodes for the first time, although I did know about the Jossing of the girl from several sources.

That was excellent, and the final episode was definitely the best of three. I never thought that it was just a fun romp, so I felt like it was only in the final episode that we got to the story.

Unpopular opinion: I'm getting tired of Nathan Fillon. He was fine in this, I guess, but I'm tired of seeing him in absolutely everything Joss does, whether his character fits or not. Perhaps I'm still bitter about the random shoehorning in of the world's lamest villian who drones on too much into the final season of Buffy, but it's time for Nathan Fillon to seperate himself from Joss's language and do several parts that are not underlaid by a snigger.

Neil Patrick Harris was absolutely wonderful. Penny had a sweet voice and was fine as Willow.

[ July 30, 2008, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
He did, actually. The movie "Waitress," the show "Drive," and guest spots on "Lost" and "Desperate Housewives." He never showed up on "Buffy," although Zoe did. And he's not in Joss' upcoming new show "Dollhouse," or at least not yet.

I thought he made a great Captain Hammer. Maybe he was the only one of Joss' buddies with the build for it? (Although Adam Baldwin coulda done it, and would I have loved to see that...)

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

He did, actually. The movie "Waitress," the show "Drive," and guest spots on "Lost" and "Desperate Housewives." He never showed up on "Buffy," although Zoe did. And he's not in Joss' upcoming new show "Dollhouse," or at least not yet.

I thought he made a great Captain Hammer. Maybe he was the only one of Joss' buddies with the build for it? (Although Adam Baldwin coulda done it, and would I have loved to see that...) (But can Adam sing? Hmm...)

katharina
Member # 827

Fillon did show up on Buffy - he played Caleb. Perhaps you have blocked it out. I wish I could.

I really liked him in Waitress. I didn't see the other television shows. I get that he and Joss are friends and he does the language well, but he needs to stop doing stuff written by Joss. I'd get tired of any actor if they always spoke with the same voice.

On a similar note, I want David Tennant's project after Doctor Who to NOT be written by Russell T Davies, despite the groundshaking brilliance of his Doctor and his Casanova.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I liked him in the final season of Buffy - very much.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Sorry, my bad. I meant he never showed up in "Angel."
Leonide
Member # 4157

If the themes don't bother you, katharina, i'd recommend renting a movie called "Outing Riley." some decent laughs, pretty good supporting cast and storytelling, and Fillion plays a non-Joss character who has probably the best scene (monologue) in the movie.

I'm always on the lookout for Fillion in films!

edit: caveat, though, the theme of homosexuality is very in-your-face in this one, as the title might suggest. it might be too much for you, i'm not sure.
double edit: can homosexuality be a theme?

katharina
Member # 827

Homosexuality is very much part of the human experience, and it being a topic isn't offputting. A lot does depend on it how it is done, of course. Any time someone sets out to tell a morality tale (whether the moral in question is virtue or tolerance) instead of a human story, it can turn out badly. If it's a human story that happens to deal with that subject matter as part of the human story to be told (the way I think Rent did it) then it's great.

That objection is more of an artistic one rather than anything else, though. [Razz]

Although I do generally turn things off if the language is really foul. And I couldn't make it through Taxi Driver, despite its obvious quality, because I didn't enjoy the bleak nihilism.

In other words, there's no telling. [Razz] Can I ask you why you like it?

[ July 27, 2008, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Leonide
Member # 4157

basically the things i mentioned: good supporting cast, interesting take the director (and star and writer) had in regards to how he told the story. I really only recommended it because you were talking about non-Joss Fillion stuff, and Nathan is far-and-away the best thing about the movie, and has multiple great scenes and one really-awesome-great scene in it.

i had streamed it off of netflix on a whim because i thought the premise sounded amusing: a gay 30-something man in an irish-catholic family sets out to tell his macho-manly-men brothers about his homosexuality, with hilarious results! (well, i added that last part)

it had some rough moments, and it was obviously indie, but i liked the idea of the sibling bond and a not-so-religious take on how every-day people deal with finding out about a gay family member (although of course religion is present, in fact, the oldest brother is a priest.) the more i think about it, though, there were a couple scenes early on that bugged me -- some gratuitous nudity (of course, they sort of made fun of it themselves, but nevertheless it was obviously just there for kicks) and at least from your end, i'm sure there is way too much swearing.

if you have netflix, i suggest just streaming it on there, and seeing if it bothers you [Smile]

edit: also, the title bugged me. It's called "Outing Riley" but Riley is the family last name -- the main character is Bobby. Or if they mean "Outing the Rileys" because the movie has a theme of revealing secrets, then it should say that and not the singular. because that's not right! that's a huge boo-boo for a title!

Dagonee
Member # 5818

It's interesting that the Doogie Old Spice commercial is getting more play in the last week. I wonder if it's more related to the Emmy nomination or Dr. Horrible.
katharina
Member # 827

I might try the play it now version on my computer. Thanks for the rec, Leonide. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.