FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, and I interviewed Joss Whedon (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, and I interviewed Joss Whedon
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa alluded to it in a different thread, but in case you didn't click on it...

Last Friday I got the chance to interview Joss Whedon about his upcoming Web-only musical miniseries "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog." He was... Joss.

quote:
Basically it’s your typical Internet musical about a super villain who’s trying to make his bones in the super villain community and get some respect, and maybe even work up the nerve to talk to the girl at the Laundromat.

So, like every other Internet serial musical.

Yeah, you know, I mean it’s a tired genre but I thought I could wring a few bucks out of it before it dies.

You can read the transcript here. My article and the interview MP3 will be online tomorrow at www.news-journalonline.com/entertainment.htm .

And don't miss "Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog", debuting midnight tonight!

[ July 15, 2008, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. Loved this:

quote:
You know, who wouldn’t cast Nathan Fillion in absolutely everything. I mean, he can play the hero, he can play the idiot, he can play the ingénue, he can play the ficus and be the most interesting thing in the room.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Hahha! That's awesome!
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, I am a new-age calendar. But I’m not wrong.
I love this line.

Great interview, Chris. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wow...sarcasm. That's original.
[ROFL]
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
The show is so good! [Big Grin]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
"because the status is NOT quo"

love it.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Texting. It's very important or I would stop.
Heh. [Smile]
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
"Freeze ray. Tell your friends."
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. Horrible's patter to the camera at the beginning MADE that episode.

oh the funny.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched it. I'm so madly in love with it. My favorite part was when he reads the letter with all the henchmen singing behind him. HA! I can't wait for the next act.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Just the look on Nathan Fillion's face while he was singing.

And the look on Neil's face when he was being smashed into the hood.

Priceless.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
great interview Chris!

the show was okay too I guess. [Smile]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
My article, with the audio of the interview, is up here.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
That was brilliant. Sooo good [Smile]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Darn it. Guess they didn't have enough bandwidth.

And these will only be up free for a week, right?

*mumble-mutter-grouch-gripe*

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

It's available at iTunes already. And is shooting up their top ten TV show chart.

The Whedon boys posted at Twitter and the Facebook site: "We love you for crashing the site, we really do. In the meantime, you can go to itunes. Or just wait a few hours, we'll be back up"

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I don't have iTunes. Oh, well. [Smile]
Shanna
Member # 7900

Glad I watched it last night because I can't get the page to load today. I hope Joss was kidding about that "17 people" bandwidth idea. I really want to rewatch it.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I torrented it.

I loved it! So adorable. Seemed like a lot happened in fifteen minutes, too, so I didn't even notice the length.

Also- great interview, Chris.

EDIT: My comments (not really a review.)

[ July 15, 2008, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

It's back!

[Party]

Shanna
Member # 7900

Yay for it being back! I didn't like having to send my friends and future Whedon-stalkers to a dead page.

You know, I really adore Nathan Fillion. I think he's brilliant. But I think NPH stole the show for me. His blogging to the camera was hysterical. In a few minutes he just completely established this character from his rhythm of speech to his facial quirks and mannerisms. And his singing voice is so endearing! I can't stop playing the "Freeze Ray" song.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have speakers [Frown] Just fyi it's $4 on itunes (for all three parts).
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Page Load Error. Might have to torrent this.
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
It was a great show. I had high hopes, since it's Joss, but it really came through. Funny and strangely sweet.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

It's back again!

[The Wave]

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been in love with NPH ever since I saw the short-lived but hilarious season of Stark Raving Mad with Tony Shaloub. I then heard him sing Toby for the San Francisco concert version of Sweeney Todd with Patty Lupone and loved him even more. Fantastic.

Recently, I've been hanging onto every single breath of How I Met Your Mother just because of him. The fact that he's now in with the Joss crowd and singing with Nathan Fillion?!! Wow. It's almost more awesome than I can stand.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
My computer/internet won't load it fast enough, and I can't buy it from itunes because it's not available on the Australian store. [Frown]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
... Balls.

I love it. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Can't get it to load. I've tried repeatedly.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Can't get it to load. I've tried repeatedly.

Me too. [Angst]
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
It's working fine (for me, at least) now...
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched the first episode a few minutes ago...and I loved it. It was very funny.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
There's no chance that Coulton ghost-wrote "Freeze Ray...?"
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got it to load.

The "blog" part was a little slow (better upon repeated viewing), but "Man's Gotta Do" made my day.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely hilarious. I love it. The NPH and Nathan Fillion combination made my day. I love those two and Nathan Fillion is such a jerk as Captain Hammer. Amazing.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Did you notice that he threw you in the garbage?

. . . Whateeeeeeverrrr.

Bravo. Fun stuff.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That was amazing. 13 minutes of pure bliss.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

"I want to be an -achiever-! Like Bad Horse."

"...the Thoroughbred of Sin?"

"I meant...Gandhi."

Shanna
Member # 7900

"And these are not the hammer....The hammer is my penis."

I'm so glad I just swallow the water in my mouth or I would have been vacuuming my keyboard right now.

Is it just me or is the music surprisingly good?!? I mean, when I first heard about this project I had Buffy-musical-flashbacks and the picture, while entertaining, wasn't particularly pretty. But I'm really love the songs. I still have mixed feelings about Penny/Felicia's voice. I think it works well for the character but it kinda grates my nerves.

I'll certainly be buying the videos as each comes out, but has anyone heard talk about them releasing a physical dvd?! I look forward to showing it off to friends.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

According to the "Master Plan" page on the website Shanna, a DVD compilation is planned.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm impressed with the music, too.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

Joss Whedon is my hero. That is all.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
It was amazing. But there were bits that seemed like they were copied out of OMWF. Dr. Horrible's song when Cap ticked him off was very reminiscent of Spike in OMWF getting angry at Buffy, for one thing. And he seems to have something about fires in garbage cans. I kept expecting Horrible to say that he touches the fire and it freezes him.

Not to say I'm not enjoying the heck out of it, though. And I can't wait for Hammer to get his comeuppance.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
According to the "Master Plan" page on the website Shanna, a DVD compilation is planned.

Not just that, but it'll feature a musical commentary. As in, a commentary for the musical that is, itself, a musical.

It's going to be awesome.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Dr. Horrible's song when Cap ticked him off was very reminiscent of Spike in OMWF getting angry at Buffy, for one thing.

Thank you! I'd been trying to figure out what that reminded me of.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

quote:
t was amazing. But there were bits that seemed like they were copied out of OMWF. Dr. Horrible's song when Cap ticked him off was very reminiscent of Spike in OMWF getting angry at Buffy, for one thing. And he seems to have something about fires in garbage cans. I kept expecting Horrible to say that he touches the fire and it freezes him.
I really didn't get that at all from "A Brand New Day". The only think it had in common with "Rest in Peace" is that it was an angry rock ballad. Beyond that it felt very different to me.

quote:
Not to say I'm not enjoying the heck out of it, though. And I can't wait for Hammer to get his comeuppance.
I dunno if Hammer will... you know Joss, he's real good at playing with our heart strings. And this seems like a tragic fall sorta thing the ways it's going.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Since Rest in Peace was a deliberate pastiche of emotionally rock ballads, it sounds similar to a multitude of songs.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Since this is Joss, he has only one 14-minute act left to bring true love to Dr. Horrible and then have someone tragically die.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Evilest possible ending (but not, mind you, a prediction): In the first fight between Horrible and Hammer, Hammer accidentally destroys Penny's building and exposes himself as a jerk. In the rematch, she dies after saving Horrible's life; Hammer slinks away. Bad Horse, impressed by Horrible's murder of the woman Hammer "loves," admits him to the Evil League of Evil.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.