FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Gift Exchange: If you haven't gotten a gift, read last page (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Hatrack Gift Exchange: If you haven't gotten a gift, read last page
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by romanylass:
rivka, are you sure you shouldn't change your name to yenta?

A yenta is not a matchmaker; a yenta is a know-it-all-chatterbox.

*narrows eyes* Wait a second . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in.
Male, 33. Not allergic to anything you're likely to send in the mail.

I'll be honest. I'm a fanboy at heart and have enough disposable income to make myself very hard to shop for; if there's something I'm likely to want, it's very likely that I purchased it within the first week of its release.

I'm a huge fan of pen-and-paper RPGs, collect Marvel and Vertigo comics, enjoy (and display) almost all forms of art except genre illustrations, and like pretty much all the music you'd expect a Neil Gaiman fan and Pitchfork reader to like.

I'm not a fan of handmade gifts, and would rather not receive food. That said, there's an exception: precisely because I'm inclined to buy myself the things I want, I like to receive gifts that strongly evoke the giver. If you believe that you are best summed-up by a hand-knitted scarf or a bar of particularly unusual chocolate, send it on. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
White Whale: We can make it work, we have so much in common! ;)

Katharina: I understand that you didn't mean to offend the Ketchup Clan, but I'd like to give my POV from the other side. I had one of the little ones last year (or the year before) to shop for and I loved the chance to get to know their whole family. I see your point, but I think as long as we're giving people the chance to say, "No, I want a grown-up," then it's not too objectionable.

As for me, I'd be fine giving to or receiving from a child (Do I still have to e-mail?)

Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in this year.

Male, 29.

My favorite gifts are ones that I don't particularly need or want because similarly to Tom, if I want it, I've probably bought it. And if I haven't bought, it's cause I can't afford it! So surprise me!

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Strider, don't forget to email. And also post at least a little something about yourself or I'm telling your gifter your main interests are underwater basket weaving and my little ponies.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
female

28 (29 on 12/27)

yellow's my favorite color, purple runs a close second

i'll be having my first baby pretty much any day, i love writing, i love reading, i love being outside

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

breyer, stop spying on me.

my favorite color is forest green.

here's a link to my facebook profile:

Me

if that doesn't contain everything you need, i don't know what does!

email forthcoming! [Smile]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
rivka, are you sure you shouldn't change your name to yenta?

A yenta is not a matchmaker; a yenta is a know-it-all-chatterbox.

*narrows eyes* Wait a second . . .

Sorry-I thought yenta was match maker.
Though I see how the two concepts could go together...

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
here's a link to my facebook profile:

Me

Of course, to read that, you have to be a member at Facebook, which not all of us are.

Little ponies it is!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

whoops! i thought since it was a public profile anyone could see it, didn't realize there was a minimum requirement of being a member.

alrighty...

i love computers and technology. I listen to a lot of classic rock. I read speculative fiction, and anything to do with science, religion(though i'm not religious), philosophy, the mind and brain. I have pet ferrets. I love to gamble, particularly poker. I love doing anything active outdoors. The Big Lebowski is my favorite movie. I like long walks on the beach, pink unicorns, fluffy bunnies, skittles, rainbows and butterflies.

how's that?

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Sorry-I thought yenta was match maker.
Though I see how the two concepts could go together...

Common misconception. [Smile] I blame Fiddler on the Roof. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I like long walks on the beach, pink unicorns, fluffy bunnies, skittles, rainbows and butterflies.

*tries to figure out whether a long walk on the beach, a rainbow, or a dead bunny or butterflies would ship better*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

If you mount the butterflies on something, they should ship just fine. Matchboxes work well too.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I mount them to the rabbit?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think she would like that very much.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
kq, no. You cannot mount butterflies on the rabbit, alive or dead.

I'd rather hear about you trying to ship a long walk on the beach and/or rainbows. Let's leave butterflies and rabbits alone.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I think the mounting surface is supposed to be smooth, firm, and flat.

Not round and fuzzy.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I learn so many new things on Hatrack.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ doesn't get to send to anyone who likes bunnies

Check.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! This was so much fun last year.

I'm female, 25, and I live in Seattle.

I like ratty old sci-fi paperbacks. No LeGuin, though, as I have a zillion of those. My favorite colors are blue, purple, maroon, and deep red. I love elephants, and am currently amassing an army of Ganeshas in all forms i.e. figurines, postcards, tapestries, etc. I also love chocolate. Who doesn't?

I don't have any allergies but I really don't like things that smell strongly, or really at all. The only faint scent that I can put up with is vanilla.

I also like being surprised. Anything that means something to you or your locale would be awesome. I will try just about any food or beverage. (No sea urchin or really dark beer, please!)

Um, I think that's it. [Wink] Let me just reiterate: Yay!

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always loved participating in this - I'm glad to see it happening again this year!

female, 31

I would prefer things without strawberries, nuts, tomatoes, alcohol, green/black tea, and coffee. I love dark chocolate, the color green (though I like lots of other colors too, just not orange or brown), cats, frogs, sewing, cooking, music, and most of all my almost one year old daughter (so you could always cheat and get something for her and I'd love it too). I like cartoons, all kinds of music, and most any kind of book.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ludosti:
cats, frogs, sewing,

Dr. Frankenstein!
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
cats, frogs, sewing, cooking

Dr. Frankenstein!
But only if I get to eat my creations!! [Wink]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TH
Member # 11441

- posted      Profile for TH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
whoops! i thought since it was a public profile anyone could see it, didn't realize there was a minimum requirement of being a member.

Strider, I'm a FB member too, but I can't see your profile. Not that it matters since you already posted your interests, but just FYI.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Weird, I could.
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm recently 30, male, LDS (so yadda, yadda, yadda). My favorite color is gray, I like music, food, reading, games, etc. I prefer getting unique stuff from the giver's area.
Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

quote:
quote:
quote:
cats, frogs, sewing, cooking

Dr. Frankenstein!
But only if I get to eat my creations!! [Wink]
MMMM, catfrog legs.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello.
I want to join too.
What I love is-
Music except for most rap
Dir en grey, especially posters of them and new magazines with them on it.
Chocolate, especially dark chocolate
I'm 30, I'm allergic to perfume, but victoria secret love spell and stuff like that is nice, I love the colours blue and black and i love books, especially graphic novels. And really good young adult books. And I also love anime and random action figures too.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Guy, 41.

Allergies = perfumes and chemical-type smells. New age, jazz, rap, opera, most country.

Favorite colors -- they're all good.

I'm pretty easy to amuse. Quirky is good. Homemade stuff and local stuff are both neat. Dark chocolate is good. I'm pretty musically naive, so anything new I'm not likely to know. If it's SF/fantasy from a new author (around less than 5 years) then I probably haven't read it.

I've been doing the exchange for, what, 5 years now? and have always liked whatever I've gotten.

I don't open gifts until Xmas, so you'll have to wait to hear my ooh! and ah! appreciation post. [Smile]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
After two years of cool gifts (you know who you are) and the fun of buying something interesting for under 20 USD which I woudl be willing to send, I'm in again.

I'm 36, male and completely without allergies or food restrictions (except celery, ugh, yuck).

I do however live in Spain, so any would have to suffer the rigours of transatlantic postage, so think robust...

In fact that's the only restriction really. Oh and NO spiders please.

As for what, well home made is good. Stuff from your locality (pennants are a good call) or typical things from where you live.

A mix-CD would be cool, I have broad tastes.

That's about all folks. Good luck with your present hunting; and rest assured whatever you choose, it'll be the right thing (unless it's a celery wielding tarantula).

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by anti_maven:
(unless it's a celery wielding tarantula).

*plots*
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
23, female, LDS so no alcohol/tobacco/coffee

I'm an Elizabethan junkie and am fairly craft-minded, so I'm all for homemade things (I got a lovely warm scarf last year) but I'm also a fan of base materials -- fabric, ribbon, trim, beads, spinnable fiber, calligraphy materials, etc. So much the better if it's stuff thats 500 or so years out of date...

I'm a fairly picky eater but I'm trying to expand my horizons of luxury-type foods, and I *love* a good cheese, salami, lox, or any other kind of processed food that ships well. I've started exploring fancy olives, and I love chocolate, though super dark varieties tend to fall flat with me -- there's such a thing as *too* bitter.

I admit that I don't listen to a lot of music, but I have a soft spot for movie musicals, Disney/Pixar, and Bollywood.

Honestly I'm all for being surprised. Hopefully this is enough of a glimpse so you'd know what I like, but I've gotten all different things in past years that I've all loved, so go for it.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Sarmup, you spin!? Awesome, I do too, only on a spindle not on a spinning wheel yet.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by anti_maven:
(unless it's a celery wielding tarantula).

*plots*
I bet you could get one on eBay.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

They stopped allowing Tarantulas in October when they started requring paypal, didn't you read the fine print? [Wink]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, no, I must have deleted that e-mail.

Perhaps a celery wielding black widow instead?

Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Or a daddy long-legs made of celery. They aren't actually spiders either, so legal loopholes RE: paypal and tarantulas can be found. (Just picture those stringy legs.)
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Not listening!

*sticks fingers in ears an hums loudly*

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Awww, we wouldn't really send you any kind of spider/celery combo. It would be like sending Noemon a pony. Or CT a spongemonkey.
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
What, the pony would eat Noemon?

(Or, would Noemon eat the pony?)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

We're not sure, the test wasn't conclusive.
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok - so here it goes. This is my first year, so I'm excited.

27 - female

I don't really like perfume, but don't mind things that are scented. Well, except for Lavender. My son's asthmatic and his doc says to avoid anything Lavender, so we do. (Does this actually help, who knows?)

Hmm, food wise I'm only slightly picky. I don't like most meat, tea, or raisins (or any dried fruit really.)

What I do like. Well, books (obviously) though I'm a bit behind on the books in my possession as it is. I also love card game, board games, and general family type games. I also like cute picture frames (I have a 4-almost five-year old son, so keep that in mind - no frilly pink borders). I'm also slightly addicted to random gadgets. You know, those "as seen on TV" things. Even when they don't work, they can be entertaining.

Well, Happy Holiday's everyone!

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark as night
Member # 9577

- posted      Profile for Dark as night   Email Dark as night         Edit/Delete Post 
What's with 27 year old females posting at the same time? [Wink]

Female, 27

Allergies: pollen, mold, dust; better not send me cats or dogs either (unless it's a Siberian huskey) [Smile]

LDS, so the usual goes.

Favorite colors: green, orange, maroon, blue.

Love homemade and handmade stuff. I collect books and things from South East Asia and China, so if it looks Asian, I'll probably love it. I am a huge fan of ethnic music (Latin, Celtic, African, Asian, etc.)

That said, I love surprises and unexpected things. Something from your corner of the world would be absolutely awesome!

And I don't mind giving or receiving from a child.

Posts: 155 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Who am I?
Dan_Raven/Darth Mauve
Sasha's father.

What do I want?
I am open.

I recently got heavily into performance magic.
I also just got my first MP3 player, and am interested in all sorts of music.

Otherwise, I'm interested in what ever interests you.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
Sarmup, you spin!? Awesome, I do too, only on a spindle not on a spinning wheel yet.

I kinda got the idea from you and maybe banna about two years ago, plus a guy in my ward raised alpacas and made the comment that he just keeps the fleece in his garage after their yearly shearings, and he doesn't know what to do with it. Before I knew it I had my own spindle and a trash bag full o' alpaca. [Smile] . I've *just now* finished some arm warmers with hand spun wool and baby alpaca, so it's just something I do occasionally. I tried out a spinning wheel, and I really want one, but I need space and money for it first.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I'm trying to spin Alpaca now and I don't like the lack of crimp. I need to try baby alpaca sometime.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Everyone has been sent a mach but not yet an address. I will try to do those tomorrow or wednesday. As it states in the rules, please respond to let me know you did get the info.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

baby alpaca is highly pettable, I got it at a local yarn shop for my birthday last year. I think it had a bit of a learning curve, but not much (I started on corriedale, and now mostly spin merino or alpaca)

[ November 17, 2008, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Male, 27, no allergies

Likes: Hockey (Pittsburgh Penguins), tennis, the color blue , World of Warcraft, fiction, exercise-related things, games (those that require more thought than Monopoly), cookies

Dislikes: Meat, wine

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
socal_chic
Member # 7803

- posted      Profile for socal_chic   Email socal_chic         Edit/Delete Post 
Female, 21, LDS, I'm not allergic to anything. My favorite colors are blue and silver. I'd love to get something unique to the giver's area. Homemade things are also really neat. Um...my favorite music is country. My hobbies are skiing, reading (of course!) I'm up for getting pretty much anything!
Posts: 137 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.