FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » LDS Community and marriage (Page 9)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: LDS Community and marriage
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I take that back, the correlation coefficient also contains the sense of the correlation and therefore has more information in it than R^2.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
And finally: Let x have the larger variance. Then the correlation coefficient is the increase in <y>, in units of its standard deviation, per standard-deviation increase in <x>. So, it is the ratio of increases in averages. Being a ratio, it is perfectly sensible to express it in percent.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
For your information KOM, I'm a chemist.

I have made 5 posts on the subject, which is far less than 3 1/2 pages. Technically, its 10% of 1 page or 2.8% of 3.5 pages. Or 500% of one post. Use what ever number you like.

I've never claimed that R^2 is any more or less meaningful than R, only that it is less statistically meaningful to present R as a percent. I am unfamiliar with any statistics texts or papers which define R as a percent or express it as a percent. I believe that's commonly done in certain areas of physics although not in the areas that overlap with my research. If you can send can post references where it is done this way, I would appreciate seeing it. Until then, I will consider the subject closed.

Like I said, the imprecise use of the word percentage is a pet peeve of mine. If I were reviewing a paper of yours or I was your professor, I would insist you change it. But I'm not so do it however you like.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Puppy: Could you do me the kindness then in perhaps extrapolating why it is that Eve promised to obey her husband Adam as he followed God, and yet Adam's vow was obedience to God?

Why not simply have both of them pledge fealty to God, why does the Adam factor at all into Eve's covenant?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Puppy: Could you do me the kindness then in perhaps extrapolating why it is that Eve promised to obey her husband Adam as he followed God, and yet Adam's vow was obedience to God?

Why not simply have both of them pledge fealty to God, why does the Adam factor at all into Eve's covenant?

Well, I can't speak for Puppy, but I'm thinking it's because at some point, a man wrote it. Whether or not he was inspired to do so by God and to what extent that makes every word he wrote accurate is a long-standing argument among the various Christian and non-Christian denominations, the most literal of whom get all choked up when you start quoting some of the harsher passages in Leviticus at them. [Smile]

I like to think that the human race has come a long way since the apple. When choosing verses to read at my wedding, that one from Genesis was offered as a choice but I specifically avoided it because I refuse to live my life according to the things it says there and frankly, I don't believe it ever happened like that. I'm reasonably sure the human race came to be on this planet through millions of years of evolution.

You don't have to look too far to see the results of what happens when we allow one gender a dominant role. They are still going on in the world today and you can sugar coat them if you like but there are millions of women who are not even allowed to show their faces and if they get raped, it is clearly their fault and they get stoned to death. These men, too, think they are righteous, and somehow I'm not seeing any evidence that the women's protests (if any) are doing a whole heck of a lot of good.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
BlackBlade:

quote:
Could you do me the kindness then in perhaps extrapolating why it is that Eve promised to obey her husband Adam as he followed God, and yet Adam's vow was obedience to God?

Since what you're talking about is presented in a very ceremonial sort of way, my original explanation should suffice.

When you're extrapolating ceremonial language into practical life, you have to be judicious about how literally you translate your instructions. I think that the Brethren's counsel that couples should act as equals, "neither walking behind the other", indicates that we aren't meant to literally put the husband in charge of practical matters, with veto power over the wife. He has an important role to play in religious ordinances and ceremonies, but that doesn't translate into general, everyday dominance.

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Is there anything more stubborn than a nerd with access to percentages?

my name is king of men, i have here in this post a collection of percentages that prove religion is bad
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puppy:
BlackBlade:

quote:
Could you do me the kindness then in perhaps extrapolating why it is that Eve promised to obey her husband Adam as he followed God, and yet Adam's vow was obedience to God?

Since what you're talking about is presented in a very ceremonial sort of way, my original explanation should suffice.

When you're extrapolating ceremonial language into practical life, you have to be judicious about how literally you translate your instructions. I think that the Brethren's counsel that couples should act as equals, "neither walking behind the other", indicates that we aren't meant to literally put the husband in charge of practical matters, with veto power over the wife. He has an important role to play in religious ordinances and ceremonies, but that doesn't translate into general, everyday dominance.

I see, thank you for your explanation. I think we disagree on less than you might think. As for interpreting ceremonial language, would you be willing to take this to email? A little bird whispered in my ear that perhaps I am drawing pretty close to things of a sacred nature.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure! Though I warn you that we're getting perilously close to the edge of where I feel like I actually know anything [Smile]
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.