FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sarah Palin to Resign (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Sarah Palin to Resign
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
MHO because she has her own reasons for quitting that she realized might not sound sufficient, especially if she wants to continue her political career, so she added that to foster the impression that she's doing it for the good of the state. My impression is that this is an entirely personal decision -- which is fine, everyone needs to take their personal life into account when making these decisions -- but her rambling explanation sounded to me like after-the-fact rationalization of that decision.
Yeah, I think this too. I'm just surprised that this (the lame duck thing) is regarded as a good excuse.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
What? Really? I heard all about Obama in 2004 when he won his senate seat and gave the keynote address at the Democratic National Convention.
Me too. Someone linked to his website saying, "this guy looks good for 2008".
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
To elaborate on Dabbler's point:

quote:
The state says it has spent nearly $300,000 to investigate the complaints, and Palin says she has racked up more than $500,000 in legal fees fighting them.
Yahoo News

I agree with those who've said they think the resignation is sincere. Being so in the public eye has clearly been awful for her and her family. I think the investigations allow her to feel that it's also bad for Alaska. I have never been a fan of Palin, but I hope that the media takes this desire for a private life seriously and allows the family a bit of privacy.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dabbler:
The public reason is that apparently the Alaskan treasury had to pay to defend Palin against allegations like the ethics probe.

Honest question: does the Alaskan treasury have to pay, or [could she have insisted] on paying the legal fees herself? Because that is what she'll be doing now anyway, right?

---

Edited to add: Or is the idea that the allegations will be prosecuted less vigorously if she is not in office?

Regardless, I hope she and her family have what time and space they need to be a private family again.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
I think the only really bad thing about Palin is the appalling, nasty, dreadful behavior people perform when they talk about her.

I can't believe you can say that with a straight face.

Yo Orin, are my posts at least more coherent then hers?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
If she really is gearing up for a presidential run, I don't see how this can look good.

She felt it was too much pressure on her family, that the media was out to get her, that investigations into her conduct were piling up and preventing her from getting anything done, that she wanted to do things in the state but the legislature was opposing her, etc... and her answer is to resign from office and not seek another term.

Does she somehow feel any of these things will be lessened as president?

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what you're really asking. I usually disagree with her, but she's also usually coherent. On the other hand I more often agree with you, and you are less often coherent... But it doesn't really matter, because this is just about whether you agree or disagree.

I'm a little more interested in how OSC is going to spin this. He's become something of a wildcard when it comes to interpreting political news, you really never know which way he's going to bounce these days. I'll put my money on either a) he completely and utterly ignored it, or b) a sanctimonious and scathing finger wagging at the "leftaliban."

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that I think may be missing that I'm just going to through out is that Sarah Palin was the one who released the unexpected information that her daughter was pregnant. She was the one who put her daughter's situation out there. And while it got play in the blogs and late night comedy shows, the way it made it to mainstream media was because Sarah Palin kept bringing it up in what seemed like a political ploy.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:

She felt it was too much pressure on her family, that the media was out to get her, that investigations into her conduct were piling up and preventing her from getting anything done, that she wanted to do things in the state but the legislature was opposing her, etc... and her answer is to resign from office and not seek another term.

Does she somehow feel any of these things will be lessened as president?

No, she is incapable of handling the political spotlight, unequivocally. I think every Republican strategist and his mother knows this, and she wouldn't have had a chance in hell of getting party support for a run with the stink of failure and pathos all over her. As Sam put it, this is the coup de grace.

It's written all over her at this point. "I can't handle this." And we really shouldn't be shocked by this. This is a person who bounced around to six different colleges in the six years after her graduation from high school. Doesn't make her dumb, but it also doesn't speak well of her as a poised, equipped and persevering person.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 11808

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen         Edit/Delete Post 
So far as I noticed, there have been no comments on the timing of Palin's resignation announcement. The choice of late afternoon on the day before the Fourth of July, in the remote location of Wasilla and with no TV network representatives present, looks as if she and her handlers wanted her speech to attract as little attention as possible. That does not seem to me to be the way she would kick off a political crusade, like turning the government of Alaska over to a subordinate so she can concentrate on steering the United States as a whole toward a better future.

On the whole I hope the problem is not the one with her home. Todd Palin claims he paid for the materials for that 3400? sq. ft. Wasilla home and built it himself with the help of friends. The allegation is that the materials were donated by the corporation that secured the contract to construct the Wasilla sports complex, and the "friends" paid by them. It seems certain federal investigators have in fact been trying to prove that by seizing records from the contractor and interviewing its employees. But they may have come up empty, because the Palin's home was built just the way Todd Palin says it was. But if those allegations are true, Sarah Palin accepted a very large bribe during her time as mayor of Wasilla. And both she and her husband knowingly filed false income taxes for that period, meaning the IRS may be pursuing them on criminal charges. And while they strike me as marginal parents, I do not think their children would benefit if they were both languishing in federal prisons. So I hope this is a case where the smoke comes from someone's cigarette, and not from a real fire. Or can someone here maybe point out where my analysis is at fault?

[ July 04, 2009, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: hobsen ]

Posts: 50 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Let's stipulate that if there is some heretofore unknown personal, medical or family crisis, this was the right move. But Gov. Palin didn't say anything like that. Her statement was incoherent, bizarre and juvenile. The text, as posted on Gov. Palin's official website (here), uses 2,549 words and 18 exclamation points. Lincoln freed the slaves with 719 words and nary an exclamation; Mr. Jefferson declared our independence in 1,322 words and, again, no exclamation points. Nixon resigned the presidency in 1,796 words -- still no exclamation points. Gov. Palin capitalized words at random - whole words, like "TO," "HELP," and "AND," and the first letter of "Troops."

Gov. Palin's official announcement that she is resigning as chief executive of the great state of Alaska had all the depth and gravitas of a 13-year-old's review of the Jonas Brothers' album on Facebook. She even quoted her parents' refrigerator magnet. (Note to self: if one of my kids becomes governor, throw away the refrigerator magnet that says: "Murray's Oyster Bar: We Shuck Em, You Suck Em!") She put her son's name in quotations marks. Why? Who knows. She writes, "I promised efficiencies and effectiveness!?" Was she exclaiming or questioning? I get it: both! And I don't even know what to make of a sentence that reads:

*((Gotta put First Things First))*

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-begala/sarah-palin-turns-pro_b_225633.html
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

He he he he.
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I know your all proud of yourselves for dogging on how Palin talks and writes. What you don't understand is bad grammar, exclamation marks, refrigerator magnet (i.e. bumper sticker) sayings represent "Middle and Western America" just as much as "Ebonics" represents black culture. Its all muddled and incoherent to you, but crystal clear to her constituents. Have I read it? I haven't because I respect her, but am not a follower enough to care.

quote:
I also realize that for many Palin defenders who believe there are valid refutations [of reasons she shouldn't be President], this post is going to come off as condescending. I'm afraid I have yet to read such refutations, and nothing I've seen has changed my mind about her abilities. Frankly, most of the pro-Palin press has been varying degrees of "But we just love her."
This is EXACTLY how I feel Obama got elected. He was nothing more than a made in Hollywood President who continues to prove he is way over his head. Of course, the defenders will continue the mantra, "but he's popular" as if that wipes away his deficiencies. He is also Black and can read a teleprompter . . . umm, umm . . . real good. His "refrigerator magnet" sayings included "Hope and Change," mixed with "Yes we can!" rhetoric with no real answer of what those mean. If Palin wasn't ready to be VP, I don't see why Obama was ready to be President. He has far more power now than Palin would have unless McCain had died.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Occasional:
What you don't understand is bad grammar, exclamation marks, refrigerator magnet (i.e. bumper sticker) sayings represent "Middle and Western America" just as much as "Ebonics" represents black culture.

:facepalm:

Yeah. We're the ones in the dark here- we're out of touch.

"You guys are making fun because you just don't get it, but I do, but I haven't read it, because I respect her, but I don't care..."

What??

quote:
Of course, the defenders will continue the mantra, "but he's popular" as if that wipes away his deficiencies. He is also Black and can read a teleprompter . . . umm, umm . . . real good. His "refrigerator magnet" sayings included "Hope and Change," mixed with "Yes we can!" rhetoric with no real answer of what those mean
:snirfle:

"you guys shouldn't make fun of the midwestern candidate because you don't get it."

"Besides, that other midwestern candidate, who IS BLACK MAY I ADD, sucks for all those same reasons OMG LOLZ he is dumb rofl!"

"But seriously, I respect Palin, she is folksy and in touch"

Occ, if you don't see where the two parts of your brain have disconnected here, well I can't say I'm going to be shocked. I didn't realize you harbored such racial animosity though. That did surprise me.

Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I hold racial animosity so long as race is used to mean "whites are evil." With Obama I believe he was voted in not as President of the U.S., but as reparation and quota filler for the White House job. Besides that, I believe his comments about race, such as about his white grandmother, have been subtle racism as I defined above.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Even for the internet, that's racist.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

So your saying that the writing and speaking skills a 3rd grader would be ashamed is a valid reason for voting for Palin?

And what El JT de Spang said to.

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Having read the speech, it doesn't seem so bad as all that. I don't see the vast grammar mistakes or the bad quotation marks. It's not great rhetoric by any means, and it meanders about for miles before getting to the point, to the extent that it does get to the point. Not to mention repeating itself. But I don't see where this venom is coming from. Looks like a pretty ordinary speech for a woman of average intelligence.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
I hold racial animosity so long as race is used to mean "whites are evil." With Obama I believe he was voted in not as President of the U.S., but as reparation and quota filler for the White House job. Besides that, I believe his comments about race, such as about his white grandmother, have been subtle racism as I defined above.

I am thankful that Obama has managed to be much more thoughtful on the subject than you have been.

I'm sorry for you.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Having read the speech, it doesn't seem so bad as all that. I don't see the vast grammar mistakes or the bad quotation marks. It's not great rhetoric by any means, and it meanders about for miles before getting to the point, to the extent that it does get to the point. Not to mention repeating itself. But I don't see where this venom is coming from. Looks like a pretty ordinary speech for a woman of average intelligence.

That I think she needed help writing.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Looks like a pretty ordinary speech for a woman of average intelligence.

Perhaps so, but are you aware of your vastly superior skills at prose construction? English isn't even your first language, although you're most obviously an "L1" speaker.

The point is not that she can't write- my mother can't write an email without making hash of it, and she's an executive. The point is that she's giving public speeches that are grossly above her actual ability to give. That's bad.

Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a ridiculously bad speech, but her delivery really was a factor in my read of it now. She came off as nearly hysterical in parts.

Reading all the exclamation points does NOT help [Big Grin] .

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Have I read it? I haven't because I respect her...
I submit that you are only capable of respecting her because you haven't read it.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuukka
Member # 12124

- posted      Profile for Tuukka           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

If you mean an ordinary speech from a woman of average intelligence, who isn't used to doing analytical thinking, and isn't used to communicating her thoughts concisely... I can agree with that.

Most women - and most men - are like that. And there is nothing bad about it.

But Palin is a governor and a lot of people even wanted her to be a vice-president. Some even still want her to be a president. We have to hold that kind of person to a higher standard than your average American housewife.

The real issue isn't even in the form of her writing. It's in the content, or the lack of.

Hell, I can accept someone in a leading position, who isn't used to writing, or even reading. But it's a lot harder to accept someone who isn't used to thinking. And that's how Sarah Palin seems to be most of the time: Lacking in logical reasoning, analytical thinking, or even old-fashioned common sense. Her latest speech is just the cherry on the top.

It all seems even worse when you consider the fact that she could let more competent people check her speeches before she gives them.

But she doesn't. Which implies that either she doesn't care to be professional, or she actually believes herself to be so professional that her speeches don't need to be checked.

Either way, it shows bad judgement. And I prefer people in leading positions to show good judgement instead of bad.

Posts: 273 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:

Perhaps so, but are you aware of your vastly superior skills at prose construction?
Yes, I am. "Average intelligence" is not a compliment. Even so, it seems to me that the speech is calling forth venom where calm dismissal would be more reasonable. What can you expect from this woman, after all? Perhaps it's to do with the delivery, as was suggested; I don't watch speeches as a rule, it takes too long, so I can't speak to that. If the delivery was more than usually execrable, perhaps that accounts for the contempt.

As a side note, I suspect that people on Hatrack are used to interacting with others who are a sigma or two above average, and therefore tend to overestimate the intelligence of the general population. Comrade Palin really is 'folksy', in the sense of being representative of average people. That is unusual in a politician, and makes her look particularly bad compared to the usual lot. Most average people don't come to our attention on national television, and therefore do not expose their lack of intelligence.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
You know... I don't hate Sarah Palin. I don't feel a need to suggest that one can't be the parent of a high-needs child and still be the leader of a state, or a nation, for that matter. If she had just served out her time in Alaska, I wouldn't have thought much of her at all; probably gotten the occasional grousing e-mail from my friends fighting the good fight in Juneau and Anchorage, but that would be the end of it.

But out on the national stage, her weaknesses are very, very prominant, and you have to put on blinders to ignore them. She's the kind of politician who can say what the loudest people in the crowd want to hear, but that's a damn poor qualification for leadership that demands serious consideration, hard choices, and calls that come from the head rather than the gut (for all the good ol' American fondness for the latter.)

Worse, she's shown a real petulance with both the media and her former associates, a quality we absolutely cannot afford right now. We don't need someone who remembers recent grudges and forgets old alliances. We need someone who can state our case without falling back on truisms that are anything but true to the target audience. Someone who recognizes the limitations of sports metaphors.

If Palin fades from the spotlight, it would be best for everyone. Everyone. This is not what we need from our leadership. This is not what the Republican party needs to present as its ideal. This is not what we need anyone suggesting is a portrait of the "Real America". This is a former beauty queen with a (not atypically) slightly screwed-up family who is a fine candidate for Mayor of a little place like Wasilla without too many hard choices or big responsibilities.

Go in peace, Sarah Palin, but for the love of Pete, GO!

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not fond of her.
It's mostly her point of view on wolves and predators in general.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know your all proud of yourselves for dogging on how Palin talks and writes. What you don't understand is bad grammar, exclamation marks, refrigerator magnet (i.e. bumper sticker) sayings represent "Middle and Western America" just as much as "Ebonics" represents black culture.

Occasional, anytime — and I mean absolutely anytime — I read you try to dissect culture for the sake of appropriating an understanding of it or present a theory about sociopolitical realities, you reveal that you have no such understanding and are, in fact, remarkably detached from anything other than a pastiche of reinforced stereotypes. This is no exception.

I, for one, cannot wait for our affirmative action president to deliver his weekly addresses, wearing fugu, speaking crystal-clear ebonics to represent black culture. I cannot wait to not listen to it because I respect him.

Its all muddled and incoherent to you, but crystal clear to his constituents. Have I rapped along with him or even given him a beat-box backup? I haven't because I respect him, but am not a follower enough to care.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is EXACTLY how I feel Obama got elected. He was nothing more than a made in Hollywood President who continues to prove he is way over his head. Of course, the defenders will continue the mantra, "but he's popular" as if that wipes away his deficiencies. He is also Black and can read a teleprompter . . . umm, umm . . . real good. His "refrigerator magnet" sayings included "Hope and Change," mixed with "Yes we can!" rhetoric with no real answer of what those mean. If Palin wasn't ready to be VP, I don't see why Obama was ready to be President. He has far more power now than Palin would have unless McCain had died.
He is indeed black. And yes, he can read a teleprompter, although why in the world that's become an issue I can't fathom, other than right-wing commentators decided it should be. (I don't recall seeing a teleprompter at any of the debates, or in any of his interviews, or in his press conferences, and other politicians and presidents have used them for public speaking. Seriously, why even bring it up?)

But as I recall, I voted for him because he planned to:

Close Gitmo.
End the Iraq war.
Restore the checks and balances to government.
Bring transparency to government.
Bring us public health care.
End "don't ask, don't tell."
Stop the tax cuts for the rich.
Respect science again.
Govern from reality, common sense and expert opinion over ideology.
Address global warming.
Respect the other people of the world, and talk with their leaders.
Reach across the aisle to work together with both sides.

Now, he's fallen short on several of these, and some I believe are on his list but aren't coming about as quickly as I'd like, and some have been watered down by the realities of the situations or to get them past the legislature. But there were definite reasons I voted for him that had nothing to do with his skin color.

Offhand, I can't think of a single thing Sarah Palin ever said in public that would cause me to vote for her. Not one. McCain did; I respected him highly in the beginning of the campaign, before he lost his mind, and I liked many of his positions. But Palin never struck me as anything other than a gimmick.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
If you mean an ordinary speech from a woman of average intelligence, who isn't used to doing analytical thinking, and isn't used to communicating her thoughts concisely... I can agree with that.
That's what average intelligence implies, as a general rule.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

KoM, I respect you too much to read that last post.
Teshi
Member # 5024

BBC: Sarah Palin Hints on Political Future

quote:
Sarah Palin has hinted she might take on a wider political role in the US, one day after abruptly announcing she was resigning as governor of Alaska.

"I am now looking ahead and how we can advance this country together," she wrote on her Facebook page.

Here is the note in question. Ugh, political leaders using Facebook for announcements-- not even clear announcements, just vague hints. Ugh, ugh.

Secondly, that's not even a good sentence. She meant "to", not "and".

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
More likely she meant "at" rather than "and" or "to". Its a relatively common error when typing. It's an error that should have been caught in editing but not really evidence of poor writing ability or an inability to construct a proper sentence.

[ July 05, 2009, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

No, there's plenty of other evidence of abysmal writing ability.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have had more respect for Palin if she had simply said that that here VP campaign and national exposure had taken a heavy toll on her family. If she had said that when she ran for Governor, she had not expected she would give birth to a disabled son or that her teenage daughter would get pregnant. She had not expected to be invited to run for VP or the media scrutiny that accompanied that venture but that all these things had taken a serious toll on her ability to govern Alaska. If she had simply said that under the circumstance, should could not do justice to the job of governor and fill her family and personal responsibilities so she was resigning -- that would have been respectable.

But if it had been in her nature to make that kind of choice, should would never have accepted the VP nomination when she had a new baby and pregnant daughter and was only 1.5 years into her first term as Alaska governor. Which made me a cynical right off.

From my point of view, however, It was throwing in the part about not wanting to be a lame duck that made her look like a lunatic. You are not a lame duck when you are barely past the half way mark on your elected term. The idea that the only thing she could accomplish in the next two years was to spend the tax payers money on junkets is just silly. Its insulting to the myriad of politicians who after choosing not to run for re-election, use that time to try to finish their most important goals or make hard choices that have long term benefits to the public. It was like she was trying desperately to maintain the image of being a maverick fighting business as usual and saying I'm leaving to because my family needs me had been used too many times to seem anything but business as usual.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Yeah, I was struck by the silliness of those "business as usual" comments. Like, yes, I'm quitting my term only half finished for no stated reason- BET YOU DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING! I'm a Maverick!
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know your all proud of yourselves for dogging on how Palin talks and writes. What you don't understand is bad grammar, exclamation marks, refrigerator magnet (i.e. bumper sticker) sayings represent "Middle and Western America" just as much as "Ebonics" represents black culture. Its all muddled and incoherent to you, but crystal clear to her constituents.
If you live in a part of the country that uses a significantly different dialect of English, then you ought to be learning both the form used in your community, and the standardized form.

If she is unable to communicate effectively using standard English, that would indicate a serious professional lack. I believe we had a thread some time ago where we talked about phone support staff that have thick accents. This is no different.

If she is able to communicate effectively using standard English, and deliberately chose not to, that would indicate that she's only interested in speaking to a subset of the population of Alaska. Considering we're talking about her last official statement as Governor, and that her resignation impacts the entire citizenry there, I think that would be a pretty telling choice.

It could also be a combination of both, which I find most likely.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Completely related link:
Random Palin resignation speech generator!

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

The worst part is that it took me a couple of paragraphs to see that it had been jumbled.

quote:
And Lieutenant General Craig Campbell will assume the role of Lieutenant Governor. It would be apathetic to just hunker down and "go with the flow". I want Alaskans to grasp what can be in store for our state.
The fact that these three sentences are pulled at random from the text of the speech says something interesting. I'd like to see this method applied to other politicians and speakers, and see if the results would be different.

quote:
I've explained why... though I think of the saying on my parents' refrigerator that says "Don't explain: your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe you anyway." We need those who will respect our Constitution where government's supposed to serve from the BOTTOM UP, not move toward this TOP DOWN big government take-over... but rather, will be protectors of individual rights - who also have enough common sense to acknowledge when conditions have drastically changed and are willing to call an audible and pass the ball when it's time so the team can win! Life is too short to compromise time and resources..., it may be tempting and more comfortable to just keep your head down, plod along, and appease those who demand: "Sit down and shut up", but that's the worthless, easy path; that's a quitter's way out.
This paragraph actually reads like it is part of the original speech. Oh the platitudes!
Samprimary
Member # 8561

The ever-odious dowd started an article essentially accusing Palin of being certifiably narcissist to the point of having a personality disorder, yammered on in that direction for a while, but at the end she centered in on a finally reasonable point about those platitudes.

She words it in a way that really does offer something of an explanation about the mentality and unwitting rationale behind the inanity of her speech. The platitudes are the result of classic casuistry on her part.

quote:
After girlish burbling about how “progressing our state” and serving Alaska “is the greatest honor that I could imagine,” and raving about how much she loves her job, she abruptly announced that she was making the ultimate sacrifice: dumping the state on her lieutenant.

Why “milk it,” as she put it, when you can quit it? “Only dead fish go with the flow,” she said, while cold fish can blow out of town. Leaving Alaska in the lurch is best for Alaska. She can better “effect change” in government from outside government. She can fulfill her promise of “efficiencies and effectiveness” by deserting Juneau midway through her term — and taking her tanning bed with her.

“We need those who will respect our Constitution,” said Palin, who swore on the Bible to uphold the Constitution. She said she can’t fulfill that silly old oath of office in the usual way because she’s not “wired to operate under the same old politics as usual.”

Naturally, she dragged the troops in, saying that her trip to see wounded soldiers overseas “fortified” her decision to give up because “they don’t give up.”

She refuses to succumb to the “politics of personal destruction.” It’s no fun unless she’s the one aiming those poison darts, as she did when she accused Barack Obama of associating “with terrorists who targeted their own country.”

Sometimes, she explained, if you’re the star, you have to “call an audible and pass the ball” and leave at halftime, “so the team can win” somehow without you.

The maverick must run free when greener pastures beckon. The musher must jump out of the dogsled when warmer climes call. As Palin’s spokeswoman, Meg Stapleton, says, “The world is literally her oyster.”

But just remember, beloved Alaska, it’s all about you.

Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Occasional, you almost slipped the old Double Reverse right by me.

The double reverse is when you attack your opponents for having your own failings.

Hence you call President Obama a Token black person in the White House, when in actuality it was Sarah Palin who was selected as a token woman by the Republicans.

The only reason she was pushed forward as a VP candidate was in the hopes that she would capture disaffected women upset about Hillary Clinton's loss and lack of VP Candidate status.

You are right, that people should not be chosen to fill a quota based on gender, or race, but only on competence.

It seems that most of President Obama's decisions have been competent. Governor Palin's, not so much.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Further to the subject of average people being not very bright: Overcoming Bias (link is to a specific post on this subject). Example:

quote:
For example, in 1992 out of a random sample of US adults, 7% could not do item SCOR300, which is to find the expiration date on a driver’s license.
I admit to feeling a bit ambivalent about this evidence of stupidity, since just the other year I tried travelling to Scotland on an expired passport. Admittedly it wasn't a question of being unable to find the date; I just hadn't thought to look. But still. And in fact, that reminds me, I need a new driver's license. And I'll likely have to take the test over again, sigh. Maybe they'll give me a renewable one this time.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I think Palin was chosen for the MILF quota.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Seeing as you've got the green card now, I don't see why not- I took the test at 16 and don't have to take it again for some time- I don't even remember how long.
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
I think Palin was chosen for the MILF quota.

A bad move on McCain's part, if so, since she became a GILF-to-be during the campaign.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
it may be tempting and more comfortable to just keep your head down, plod along, and appease those who demand: "Sit down and shut up", but that's the worthless, easy path; that's a quitter's way out.
Ummm, ummm, Do I understand this correctly? She's quitting because she's not a quitter.

Ummm, ahhh. It's really embarrassing that this woman holds any political office in my country more important than city council.

[ July 06, 2009, 05:35 AM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

more embarrassing then George W. Bush getting elected twice?
Jamio
Member # 12053

- posted      Profile for Jamio           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, more embarrassing than GW Bush because I did not vote for Bush, but I did spend a lot of personal capital defending Sarah Palin to my friends before voting for her ticket.
Posts: 101 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Jamio:
Yes, more embarrassing than GW Bush because I did not vote for Bush, but I did spend a lot of personal capital defending Sarah Palin to my friends before voting for her ticket.

Do you now regret that decision?

I for one find it embarrassing for all of us. She still represents a US state- not my state, but still part of America.

Jamio
Member # 12053

- posted      Profile for Jamio           Edit/Delete Post 
I regret that she was McCain's VP pick (not as much as I hope he regrets it), and I regret the second, third....eightieth chance I gave her to prove herself a suitable candidate before I gave in the the obvious, but I do not regret voting for McCain.

But I do not see that I should be emotionally involved where I am not personally involved. I am embarrassed by some aspects of Bush's legacy because he was the president of my country, and embarrassed by Palin because she was a candidate on a national ticket that I voted for, and if Romney ever does something ridiculous I will be embarrassed by him, too, as a fellow mormon. By I'm not embarrassed at all by, say, the fiasco that has been the Minnesota senate race. I am not a Minnasotan nor a member of Coleman's or Franken's political parties. That'd be like being embarrassed because my neighbor likes to dress up her porch goose. Not my porch goose.

Posts: 101 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.