FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sarah Palin to Resign (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Sarah Palin to Resign
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jamio:
That'd be like being embarrassed because my neighbor likes to dress up her porch goose. Not my porch goose.

I'd be careful if I were you. You never know what those sorts of shifty people are up to with your porch goose.

[Wink]

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read that Karl Rove's response was "It's a risky strategy."

I couldn't help but think of Dodgeball:

"Unbelievable. It looks like Average Joe's is forfeiting the game."
"That's a bold move, Cotton, we'll see if it pays off."

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
The spin that's getting filtered into every report on this is ridiculous. This is one of the worst moves possible if she really wants to run for President. I'm glad- that's it for her.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just read that Karl Rove's response was "It's a risky strategy."
look at this.

honestly, just look at this.

this is the best that Karl Rove can spin this.

Karl Rove.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not my porch goose.

If Hatrack had signature lines ... [Wink]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Disclaimer: I'm just sharing because this gave me a much-needed laugh today, not because I think it proves anything other than Palin's poor choice for a spokeswoman.

Money quote: "The world is literally her oyster."
youtube

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Literally.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
Disclaimer: I'm just sharing because this gave me a much-needed laugh today, not because I think it proves anything other than Palin's poor choice for a spokeswoman.

youtube

Honestly the most tortured attempt at spin I've ever witnessed.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Poor Anderson. He's like a 4th grade teacher trying to get his students to do a little performance on parent's night.

"don't you have something to show the audience, don't you? Common! Common! Let's show the audience your spin! Let's show them! There ya go! Go for it!"

What's funny is that Palin spin treats "issues" like something other than problems to be worked on, and more like goals on a 2-d platformer: "She's free now to find that energy independence." It's like "energy independence" is a power-up that Palin is going to collect to win the game.

When they treat problems and goals like this, it makes you wonder what they actually understand about the challenges a real leader faces. Palin buckled under the simple stuff.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he'd do better if he didn't call the students common.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Har Har. I wrote it that way to reflect the rhythm of the word. I do it all the time. Eat your hat why don't you.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
I do it all the time.

I've noticed.

Do you actually pronounce come on/c'mon the same as the word common? I've never heard anyone pronounce it that way.

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wrote it that way to reflect the rhythm of the word. I do it all the time.

But the double consonant makes the first syllable look like it should be stressed (like the word common). Comon would make more sense to me, but c'mon is what I've always seen.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:

youtube

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CNN.com:
On Monday, her personal lawyer also spoke about her resignation.

No legal "bombshell" or personal scandal lies behind Palin's resignation, but off-color jokes by talk-show host David Letterman contributed to her decision to step down, Thomas Van Flein said.

The governor needed a break after being "on duty now for two and a half years solid," he said.

From here.

I guess it's a good thing, then, she never ran for a job that would take longer than two and a half years.

oh wait

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
The governor needed a break after being "on duty now for two and a half years solid," he said.
http://fools-gold.org/forum/images/smilies/facepalm4.jpg
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:

But the double consonant makes the first syllable look like it should be stressed (like the word common). Comon would make more sense to me, but c'mon is what I've always seen.
Perhaps your solution is more elegant- I'm going for an equal stress on both syllables. Com'on is another alternative, but a cludgy one. Hmmm.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
http://fools-gold.org/forum/images/smilies/facepalm4.jpg
[ROFL] [Cry] [ROFL] [Kiss]
scifibum
Member # 7625

quote:
quote:
quote:

Perhaps your solution is more elegant- I'm going for an equal stress on both syllables. Com'on is another alternative, but a cludgy one. Hmmm.
You could go for maximum communication. "C'mon" is by far the most common contraction of "come on", and is the most likely to get your point across without spelling out "come on." "Common", already being a word, is inherently confusing.

"Com'on" only saves one character over "come on" (and a whitespace character at that, so zero ink/toner if you go to print), and is not common, so you sacrifice easy readability via recognition all for the sake of one keystroke. Not a worthwhile trade off in my opinion.

[One might be tempted to note that devoting several paragraphs of analysis to the question of whether one should use "c'mon" or "com'on" is perhaps more wasteful than 1000 uses of the deprecated alternative, but one would have to take into account that the 'bum is getting some entertainment out of the activity.]

Jamio
Member # 12053

- posted      Profile for Jamio           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You could go for maximum communication. "C'mon" is by far the most common contraction of "come on", and is the most likely to get your point across without spelling out "come on." "Common", already being a word, is inherently confusing.

But, considering the context, was it actually very confusing?
Posts: 101 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Which is why I originally told RRR to eat his hat.
scifibum
Member # 7625

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
quote:
quote:
quote:

But, considering the context, was it actually very confusing?
Not very. [Smile]
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Confusing? No. Distracting? Yes.

Anyway, Orincoro, if you're going for equal stress, I don't see what's wrong with just plain "come on". I think that as an interjection rather than an actual command, it's typically stressed pretty equally on both elements. Just my two cents.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Confusing? No. Distracting? Yes.

Yeah--pretty much every time you use that construction, Orincoro, it jerks my mind away from whatever point you were making.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
RRR's a girl.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Your mom's a girl.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Noemon, I think that was hurtful and uncalled for.
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what SHE said!
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[ROFL]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Does Sarah Palin have a tv witch obsession? Willow and Piper.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
That's what SHE said!

Ow! My pride! [Frown]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

It pinches.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

It binds!
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

It fights crime!
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

As long as it isn't a TSA agent.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Ah, but you forget--it also oversteps its bounds!
Jamio
Member # 12053

- posted      Profile for Jamio           Edit/Delete Post 
It touched Christine on the--!?

[No No]

Posts: 101 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

That's what she said, at least.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
If Palin somehow wins I really will move to Canada.

Nah, England, cuter accents than all that "Eh" stuff. I dont respect Palin for so many reasons, but one stands out as for her career in politics. During the Clinton years, SNL (back when it was good) had a running skit making fun of Janet Reno, going as far as having Will Farrel don a blue dress and speak in an extremly low octave. She never cared, she had a job to do and that was far too important to spend time worrying about some comedians (who have and will always make fun of everyone), but once she had resigned her office and her job was done she busted through a wall to surprise Farrel and intimidate all who laughed at her. Now they laughed with her.

My point is this, Reno ignored SNL while she had responsibilitys and the diginity of an office to uphold, and when that was done she was willing to let some folk laugh at her manly shoulders and salt and pepper bob haircut. Meanwhile SNL hadnt even dug thier claws into the comedic meat that is Sarah Palin, and while trying to gain the second most important office in America she ran to them screaming "please like me, we can be best friends" without having a more distingiushed career and proof of professional validity she was flailing about wanting us to accept her. Bush never worried about our opinion of him, and thats one reason why she will never be president.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Oh man, that appearance on SNL was the epitome of square-wants-to-be-cool-but-is-instead-sad. I think though that the obvious difference was that SNL was very clearly out to discredit her, not just make fun of her, and the entire cast was perfectly happy to let her be as unfunny and awkward as possible. They make fun of everyone, yes, but we all know that with Palin, they had an easy target that they very much wanted to embarrass. The fact that she actually approached them to appear on the show was just pathos on the cake.

And I know some people will always say that in that situation, she was "laughing at herself" or being generous with her time, or whatever. No. She wasn't laughing, she wasn't funny, she wasn't intended to be funny or allowed to be, and didn't know how to be- and that's her fault.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Canada is very sad to hear you will never be moving to their fine nation [Frown]
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Canada is very sad to hear you will never be moving to their fine nation [Frown]
Don't be sad Canada, I'll still visit!

[Party]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Been to every country in western and central Europe, includign the mini-nations, and I've still never set foot in Canada.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
They have snow. And Blayne.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
They have snow. And Blayne.

I may have to reconsider my offer to visit [Razz]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Been to every country in western and central Europe, including the mini-nations, and I've still never set foot in Canada.
That's sad. We're maybe not as exciting as Europe, but we're pretty nice all the same.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We're maybe not as exciting as Europe, but we're pretty nice all the same.
This inspiring message was brought to you by the Canadian Tourism Center.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Canada: We're not as bad as Greenland!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I've only been about 3 miles into Canada, but I've gone several times (Niagra Falls).

I wouldn't mind moving to Canada, if the citizenship requirements weren't so darn strict.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up in the Adirondacks. Canada came to us each summer.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.