FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » atheist/humanist billboard suggestions needed! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: atheist/humanist billboard suggestions needed!
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:
How about simply putting up a sympathetic definition of humanism and a website or some way of contacting your organization?

Not many people are going to change their religion because of a billboard, but there may be plenty of people out there who share your basic beliefs but don't know what to call themselves and don't know where to go to meet people who believe similarly.

This suggestion I love, actually.

"Secular humanism: something accurate and positive.

Join us.

website
website
website"

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
"Secular Humanism: Belief in the power and goodness of humankind."

Works for me. Although I still like either "Secular Humanists believe in you" or "Secular Humanists believe in people." I think those are stronger marketing slogans.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Secular humanism: because you get one chance to be a good person."
"This is not a warm-up."

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
"Rehearsal" might sound better than "warm-up". Maybe "prelude"?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
"If there is nothing watching over you, your every action means even more."

or

"Are we more or less responsible for our own morality with or without belief in God?"

or (taken from another quote here)

"Are we using the concept of a god to ventriloquize our morality?"

or

"Do we really need some outside force to define our own morality?"

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe "dress rehearsal"?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
"Life's a song you don't get to rehearse"? [Wink]
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The White Whale:
"If there is nothing watching over you, your every action means even more."

or

"Are we more or less responsible for our own morality with or without belief in God?"

or (taken from another quote here)

"Are we using the concept of a god to ventriloquize our morality?"

or

"Do we really need some outside force to define our own morality?"

Not only do all of these sound more deliberately confrontational than they need to be, but they aren't very catchy.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I second Tres. You're not going to win any members or much sympathy using what Flying Fish posted. You're trawling for like-minded people who just haven't formed a name for how they think or realized there are others who think like them. You want the billboard to say essentially what these people have been thinking themselves, so they recognize the thought. I'm for Strider's rewrite of the "Good without God" slogan, posed as a question, and saying "We do to" at the bottom, along with a URL or phone number.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

But they approach a question I always have wondered about. In my mind, without a god or creator or whatever, I feel like our every action means even more.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

"We are all the meaning we need."
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

I like that one, kmbboots.
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Perhaps include that slew of positive, human photos. Babies, men on the moon, smiling faces, people helping each other out.
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
"Life's a song you don't get to rehearse"? [Wink]

Heh.

This may not be a call out to the atheistic crowd. There are many passages in various scriptures that have that same message.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Be good. If not now, when?"
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
"Be good, there's no other good alternative."
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
You could probably do some interesting things with certain common prayers with substitutions in the place of the relevant religious figures or phrases-

Hail, humanity, full of grace.

Deliver us from evil, we men.

What about the life of the world, to-day?

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting yes, but it still gives the slight impression you are trying to knock religion for getting it wrong.

It wouldn't ruin my day, but it'd be nice to read one where I am uplifted by the idea and that's it, rather than uplifted and then a little disappointed that there was any need to accentuate our differences.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the "not alone" slogans. Given that one of your three groups is a recovering from religion group, and like advice for robots said, you are looking for like-minded people who didn't realize you existed.

Also, don't forget this is a billboard. Keep it short!

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I also like the "not alone" ones. I think they would be the most effective for bringing in like-minded people. It's basically an invitation to these people to check out your organization(s). The "we're nice people" ones seem more aimed at religious people and brand building, which seems like a secondary goal at this point.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"Come play some board games!"
Flying Fish
Member # 12032

- posted      Profile for Flying Fish   Email Flying Fish         Edit/Delete Post 
"Atheism! (God, we hope we're right about this!)"

"Atheist Outreach -- because we're not happy until you're not happy."

"At least we cared enough to send you a sign."

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
"Come play some board games!"

[ROFL]

Is that the special for Utah version?

scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Flying Fish's we hope we're right about this would make me laugh. [Smile]
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
"Morality without the child molestation!"

"Want a social scene without Jello?" - Utah Only

"No ritualized cannibalism, just good times!"

"If God were real, HE'D join us!"

"So life is meaningless; Make some meaning with us!"

"No God, No Allah, No Problem."

"You've got one life, why wasted it on your knees?" -This would go well with a picture of Monica Lewinsky

"Why does God need 10% of your cash? You can hang with us for free."

"Has God EVER returned one of your phone calls? We do."

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the Pixiest totally made me laugh, but I think if trying to also help people think better of atheists, they may not work so well. Of course, I think living in Texas makes me a little skittish on anything with religion- too many crazies here.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Out of touch with God? Rub shoulders with us.

A discussion of moral values that doesn’t start with a prayer.

Left your church behind? Give our group a try.

We like to keep things at eye level.

If that’s just sky above, maybe you’d like to meet us.

Sleep in Sunday morning. Join us Wednesday evening.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

How do you find us? Follow your own directions.

Hello, I believe in ___________. (write your name on the line)

No communion, but we pass around cookies.

Flying Fish
Member # 12032

- posted      Profile for Flying Fish   Email Flying Fish         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you hear the one about the two ad men sitting around the office? One says, "I'm having trouble coming up for a campaign slogan for this billboard we're doing for an atheist group. It needs to be uplifting, inspirational, and project love for all humanity and the meaningfulness of life, but it can't mention God."

The second guy says "That sounds almost impossible."

Then a voice from above booms out, "Well, Duuh!"

But seriously, I like all of the above from advice4robots, and I think they hit just the right tone.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sounds good to me.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:
quote:
Sounds good to me.
Except our monthly meetings are on Sunday mornings! [Smile]
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm writing down a bunch. I think the trick will be trying to find something that all three groups will be happy with and which will do a decent job of representing everybody.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
quote:
Sounds good to me.
This confused me, because church is Sunday afternoon and on Wednesday nights for huge swaths of the population.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
quote:
quote:
Sounds good to me.
This confused me, because church is Sunday afternoon and on Wednesday nights for huge swaths of the population.
Well yeah, but people still associate Sunday with going to church.
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought they associated it with football.
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
"Why does God need 10% of your cash? You can hang with us for free."

Reminds me of "What does God need with a starship?" [Smile]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Sounds good to me.
The point is that Wednesday evening is also associated with church for many, many people.
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
]The point is that Wednesday evening is also associated with church for many, many people.

True. But many, many people is still probably a minority.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

So pick a different night, word the first part differently, and the whole thing makes more sense.

Good advertising doesn't confuse people.

-----

I don't know, though - I don't think it is particularly effective in the first place. If someone is already waking up on Sunday morning to go to church, then "quit that and join us for no discernable reason" isn't going to work. If they aren't, then it doesn't make sense. They already sleep in on Sunday.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Sounds good to me.
The point is that Wednesday evening is also associated with church for many, many people.
I get that. I'm saying even for those going to church on Wednesday, they would be perfectly aware that Sunday is church day traditionally and for the majority of the populace.
katharina
Member # 827

I don't know, though - I don't think it is particularly effective in the first place. If someone is already waking up on Sunday morning to go to church, then "quit that and join us for no discernable reason" isn't going to work. If they aren't, then it doesn't make sense. They already sleep in on Sunday.
Strider
Member # 1807

Katharina, it's a lighthearted joke. Most people would see it in the way it was intended.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Things like "Sleep in on Sundays", which have as part of their message "life without religion is better than with it" do not come across as purely positive messages, if that's important to you.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I'm saying it isn't effective as advertising. If the goal is just to goof around, then knock yourself out.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:

True enough.
Mucus
Member # 9735

(Catch-up for those not in the know, what happens on Wednesday night?)
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

A lot of people go to church.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

quote:
So pick a different night, word the first part differently, and the whole thing makes more sense.

Good advertising doesn't confuse people.

-----

My original line was a touch of tongue in cheek anyway, and I didn't spend a ton of time considering it. You're right--maybe there's something Strider could do with the idea, but the wording isn't quite there yet. I picked Wednesday night as the time most diametrically opposed to Sunday morning as I could think of--as secular a time as you could get, in other words. Obviously, that's not true for vast amounts of people.

Edit: The idea was that if people are already butting against getting up on Sunday to go to church--church isn't doing it for them and they have disagreements with it--check out this humanist organization. I don't think it can hold any more meaning than that.

Mucus
Member # 9735

Elaborate?
Strider
Member # 1807

Katharina, I didn't suggest it and wasn't endorsing it. Just commenting on the fact that you seem to be harping on it.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.