FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Sense of Change in the Air

Author Topic: A Sense of Change in the Air
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Things in my life have come to a point recently. Not in a bad way, I think, but in some ways it really feels like the ending of a chapter of my life, and the start of a new one.

I just got hired at a long term care facility (LTC) recently. On that day my scooter was also stolen, making getting to that job a little harder. It's only 7 miles away, and the pay is the best I have ever had at any job, but right now we have 1 car for 2 grown adults to get to work. Odds are we won't get that scooter back, and while it was a fun means of transportation, it wasn't practical long term.

However, a part of me really enjoyed it.I've always been an odd duck, and driving a 49cc scooter around town at age 40 was enjoyable. I have always been a little left of center, so to speak. I don't usually have a lot of issues with other people, and I like other people, but I never completely fit in in a crowd. Driving a scooter just seemed to fit, because while I got a lot of weird looks I also had a lot of people, most of them a little left of center as well, who liked the scooter. It worked, but it wasn't something you usually saw.....just like me.

It was good on gas, about 90 mpg, and it went about 44 mph with my 200+ frame driving it, so around town it was great. But when it rained it kinda sucked, and when it got cold it could be down right brutal driving it even short distances.

The new job pays more than $7 an hour more than the rest of the places in town hire in at, and $5 more per hour than the big cities in FL hire in at. However, there is a reason they do this, of course. This facility is a state of the art, brand new building. They have a lot of IV's. a lot of patients on vents, and working with those types of patients requires more skill and knowledge. Also, they want to hold on to their staff once they train them.

The woman who hired me looked right at me at the start of the interview and said " This place is pretty high stress. If you don't do well under pressure, or have issues dealing with high levels of stress from time to time, you might want to stop the interview right now and go somewhere else.". I wanted to hear more, but to be honest I was a bit taken back. I appreciated her honesty, but most high stress places are high stress because of the management, not because of the job.

My skills are a bit rusty, and i have never worked any long duration in LTC. I did a lot of work in mental health, which has it's own stress levels, but this is a completely different kettle of fish. I need to get IV certified ASAP so I can start next week, and their next course is mid February. SO that's an expense I wasn't planning on. I have never worked with vents, and I told them that, but her response was "You'll learn quick enough around here.".

Most likely I will be working 3p-11p, and that means I have to pretty much give up one of my favorite pastimes, pool. Right now it's a little out of control, because I picked up a Monday night team so I could stop playing 2 other nights. Then, the teams I was going to leave, (Tues and Thur nights) picked me as a co-captain, and revamped their lineups to accommodate a high level player/handicap.....me. I couldn't just up and leave at that point, you know? I also play in a tournament I occasionally help run, on Wed night. So that's Monday, Tuesday and Thursday for league, Wednesday for tournament, and occasionally a Sunday one as well.

Too much pool. I am finally shooting well again, and winning money, but I am playing way too much.

And working at an agency, my sleep hours are all screwed up. I am often up at 4am, waiting to be sleepy. I sleep until 1-2 in the afternoon, because if I don't I might fall asleep at a patients house working for hospice.

This job will pay me over $50,000 a year, and will reset my sleep patterns, my time off with my wife, and my hobbies. It will more than likely mean I have to quit all of my teams for league and possibly stop playing well all together. It means no more staying up late, no more wandering schedules, no more driving 2 hours to a case. No more weeks with 8 hours when slow times hit.

It means no more vacation when I want one, no more flexibility in working. It means higher stress, more work, and longer hours, and more direct supervision while at work. It means state inspections and a higher patient load, about 18 patients per LPN.

It's a lot of good things, and some bad ones, all rolled in to one. and it feels like an end of an era for me.

I go to play in the Best of the Best tournament today in Gainesville, a ranking I won last session for the 12th time. I'm playing the best players in central FL for an $800 pool cue and a lobster dinner. It's winner take all.

And after today, my life changes for good, one way or another. This could be everything I have ever wanted for my wife and I....a new house, a career rather than a job, and financial stability for the first time in my life. Or it could be just like Penney's was....a cherry job at first, which turns into a nightmare.

Wish me luck. I could use it. [Smile]

[ January 15, 2011, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, dude. I hope it works out for you. Maybe if you stay there, you'll gain some seniority and get the pick of a different shift. Who knows what can happen?

Congrats. [Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, sucks about the pool though.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I played horrible, and lost in the second round. Oh well.

Next!

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope it works out really well for you. And that it doesn't mean we'll see less of you at Hatrack!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like an exciting time in your life! I envy you your challenges and successes.

Hope it all works out for the best.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I really hope this new phase is everything you need it to be.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds interesting.

Hope things are going to go in a great direction for you! [Smile]

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Totally echoing what BB said.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck!
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Kwea.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea, do you mind if I drop you an email with questions about nursing? It's a possibility I've been considering for a couple years down the road and it would be nice to get an experienced perspective.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.