FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » This just in: World ends on October 21 (Formerly May 21) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: This just in: World ends on October 21 (Formerly May 21)
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Wife just texted me "Is the world ending tomorrow?"

My response: "No. I might have to do some traveling, though."

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Ace. Really?
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Update: Family Radio rep on their livestream kinda freaking out about the Rapture not happening, changing story from rolling timezone earthquake to one massive-everywhere earthquake at 3pm Jerusalem time, 8am EDT.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
That's only in about half an hour, isn't it?

Well, at least we'll all know if we've been saved or not by the time I need to do the shopping. I'd hate to have just bought the groceries, be planning dinner, and then have an earthquake destroy the world.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Now he's using bible quotes his daughter dug up to explain that maybe it's 6pm Jerusalem time, not 3pm.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
It's 8:05 and I'm still here. I guess I didn't make the cut.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Technically, if you want to go by Jerusalem time, you would go by when sunset is. The ancient Hebrew reckoning in the Bible was that days are observed from sunset to sunset. This is seen in Genesis one, when the days of Creation week start with the dark period, the "evening" followed by the light portion, the "morning." This is also how the Sabbath was specifically commanded by God to be designated: "It is to be a sabbath of complete rest to you, and you shall humble your souls; on the ninth of the month at evening, from evening until evening you shall keep your sabbath." (Leviticus 23:32; NASB) The same period was still observed in New Testament times by the Jews, despite the introduction of the Roman custom of marking days from midnight to midnight.

The "rapture" is a false doctrine derrived from wresting a very few metaphorical statements out of context. There are no time prophecies in the Bible that designate the hour or even day when Christ will return (in any sense). "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only." (Matthew 24:36; NKJV) Camping tried to explain away this text, but he failed. It is too plain and explicit.

The world most definitely will not end today. However, anyone could get hit by a truck. So it still would behoove anyone get right with God. The Bible makes it abundantly clear that God wants our primary motivation for this to be love, not fear.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm listening to the preacher just about lose his marbles on the radio. He's just getting more and more crazy.

He's taking calls (and getting pranked a lot — got rickrolled once and had no idea what was going on) and blathering a lot of eschatological nuttiness and getting just more .. manic, and off the wall.

Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
And then, tomorrow, he'll get back to spending his money.

ETA: I followed the link to Family Radio and it seems to be on "Story Time."

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
a false doctrine derrived from wresting a very few metaphorical statements out of context.

Rapture nate dhalani, you totally see her saying it.
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

lawl

uggggggh I'm glad we're on storytime now, I was legitimately having trouble listening to the guy.

he did seriously sound like he was going bonkers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Prophecy_Fails

We're watching the pain of discontinuity in action, from yet another person who's just oh so sure they got it all figured out.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

I'm having trouble thinking of new Rapture jokes

all the good ones are taken

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn you for making my lips twitch.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

If I could be there to console this minister right now, I'd do it. I'd sit down with him and say "Cheer up, harold camping, it's not the end of the worl ... er .. "
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just so surprised that not a single person qualified for rapture treatment. Didn't see that one coming.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. It is the apocalypse. I just agreed with Ron on a post about Scripture. Nice post, Ron.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

Well, it's 6.19 here and after 7pm in Jerusalem so I think we can all breathe a big sigh of relief.

Until next year, folks.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
Dammit! I was asleep and I missed the Rapture!

I knew my laziness would damn me.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucous
Member # 12331

- posted      Profile for Mucous           Edit/Delete Post 
Time to get some dim sum, I guess.

Did someone record that preacher session, maybe on Youtube or something?

Posts: 58 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

Man, can you imagine being that guy and the complete and utter dissapointment he must have felt? He's 80-something years old so you know he's not going to get the chance to do something else to make up for this. He doesn't have much time left as it is. I kinda feel bad for him because he basically made a huge fool out of himself in front of the entire country.

Still...what an idiot.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
And the people who believed him and left homes, jobs, families ... I feel sorry for them.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff C.:
I kinda feel bad for him because he basically made a huge fool out of himself in front of the entire country.

Make that 'entire world'. People were tweeting about this from Tonga.
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

Lol wow. Tonga? Talk about the middle of nowhere.
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
How many people actually bought in to this? My impression is that it was a really, really tiny group and everyone else just thought it was fun to joke about. All of the evangelical Christians I know were big on "no man will know the hour". Is my impression wrong?
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh, it's quiet around here... Where is everyone? No line at the gas station or for lottery tickets... Is today a holiday or something?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Quickly Nighthawk, initiate phase one of your Z-Day readiness plans!
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Half of my town is down the street at the local Tea Party rally. Rumor is that Jindal and Vitter might show up.

I dont whether the religious nut jobs or political nut jobs scare me more.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:
How many people actually bought in to this? My impression is that it was a really, really tiny group...

I don't think it was that many.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be surprised if we don't hear about more cases like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkMRgDSIhJE

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Our pastor today in church (SDA) preached about the many texts that spell out the manner of Christ's return, that it will not be secret, but will be witnessed by everyone. He will return in "like manner" as He ascended--when His disciples watched Him physically rise up into the sky to be received into the clouds of heaven. (See Acts 1:9-11) None of the apostles wrote any epistles exhorting believers to be ready for any secret coming of Christ.

What I really dislike is the way this will encourage unbelievers to disregard any message that Christ is returning soon. As Jesus said, no one knows the day or hour, but we can know by the signs of the times--which He spelled out in Matthew 24--that His coming is nearing. But in fact, He did imply that false predictions like Harold Camping's are among those signs that His true Second Coming is getting nearer. He said if someone says He is in the desert, do not go. And if someone says He is in the inner chambers, do not go. There will be false christs and false prophets. (See Mat. 24:24-26) But where these counterfeits exist, there must also be the true. All these counterfeits are designed to distract us from the true. Camping may not have been doing this deliberately--but he allowed himself to be duped into doing this. It is evidence of the destructive effect of the Rapture doctrine.

[ May 21, 2011, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Ron Lambert ]

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

More backpedaling, we've passed something like several time slots that were apparently "okay guys, this one's it, FOR REAL THIS TIME"

Silly Family Radio, first thing religions should learn is to avoid making statements that are easily falsifiable.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

while taking calls, he drops the ~discontinuity bomb~

"We may have to redefine judgment"

dude is in denial hardcore

/edit

Deuteronomy quote makes him flip out: "That verse was written before the Bible was complete."

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Awww, I was hoping I wouldn't have to clean the cat box.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

What I really dislike is the way this will encourage unbelievers to disregard any message that Christ is returning soon. As Jesus said, no one knows the day or hour, but we can know by the signs of the times--which He spelled out in Matthew 24--that His coming is nearing. But in fact, He did imply that false predictions like Harold Camping's are among those signs that His true Second Coming is getting nearer. He said if someone says He is in the desert, do not go. And if someone says He is in the inner chambers, do not go. There will be false christs and false prophets. (See Mat. 24:24-26) But where these counterfeits exist, there must also be the true. All these counterfeits are designed to distract us from the true. Camping may not have been doing this deliberately--but he allowed himself to be duped into doing this. It is evidence of the destructive effect of the Rapture doctrine.

Well as for me, I tend to be skeptical of claims that Jesus is comin' soon because people have been saying' that since He left (and for some Christians, that's left *both* times no less).

The fact of centuries or milleniaof prediction of return coupled the equally undeniable fact of a lack of a return will lead any mind that's examining the thing fairly-that hasn't already made up its mind, that is-with a healthy dose of skepticism. That 'soon' business I mean.

Likewise with the counterfeit claim. The fact that some whack jobs predicted something probably wrong doesn't at all mean they only got their *math* wrong, but the other substance of their claims right. By that reasoning, any wrong prediction that's proven wrong serves as evidence for...something other than it's being wrong. That just doesn't make sense, again unless your mind is already made up.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
again unless your mind is already made up.
spoiler alert: it is
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
I'll be surprised if we don't hear about more cases like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkMRgDSIhJE

And if you are surprised and this is an isolated case, will you be any more likely than camping to publicly admit you were wrong?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
He wouldn't be wrong in that case. He would be wrong if it were an isolated case and he weren't surprised. Strange thing to want him to admit publicly, though. "I'm sorry I was wrong about my feelings. Next time I'll try to be more sure of whether or not I'll be surprised."
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Rabbit, what's to admit? Everyone can see he was wrong. What he needs to do is recognize that his methods of interpreting the Bible are unsound. As the Apostle Peter said, "No prophecy of the Scripture is of any private interpretation." (2 Peter 1:20). The only way I know to avoid a private interpretation is to use sound, scholarly objective methods, which have to include allowing the Bible itself to supply the definitions for all the symbol used, apply the prophecies to the time in history and to the national or other entities specifically indicated in the text, and use straightforward and reasonable means for determining what passages are meant to be literal and which are meant to be figurative. We can do this with most works of literature. Why does it suddenly become hard when it comes to the Bible? If you remember it is God's Word, and you want to find out what God meant, and that it is not your word to try to bend it and fashion it to suit your imaginative ideas, then there are ways to arrive at a proper understanding that is not one you just made up.

If I may give one specific example, Tim Lahaye, one of the co-writers for the Left Behind series of novels, claimed at one point that he believed you should take as figurative only those prophetic passages in Revelation that use the words "like" or "as it were." Anything else should be regarded as literal. Thus he winds up taking some very bizarre things literally. This methodology is plainly contradicted by Revelation 17:15: "And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the whore sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues." This explicitly tells us that "waters" is a figurative symbol, not literal, and gives us the definition of the symbol. Yet when you read earlier in the chapter, the prophecy of the woman sitting amid the waters never uses the words "like" or "as it were." Thus LaHaye's confessed methodology for his interpretation is contradicted.

If you take reasonable notice of such plain definitions of what symbols mean, what are the times and entities the text itself indicates they should be applied to, and what the context indicates about whether it is literal narrative or figuative, you can arrive at an interpretation that is entirely consistent and makes perfect sense, and is not just something you dreamed up. It is important to know that Harold Camping did not do this. Nor did/does LaHaye. The judgment that is most warranted of them is that they show themselves to be very poor Bible students. They are self-proclaimed "scholars" who have shown that they deserve to be ashamed of their poor scholarship.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And if you are surprised and this is an isolated case, will you be any more likely than camping to publicly admit you were wrong?
It took me awhile to parse this. At first glance it seemed like if I was surprised, I would either admit I was wrong or go camping.

Let's just say that I anticipated that some of Camping's followers would have their world shattered, and would react in extreme fashion. So this news article didn't surprise me. I don't pretend to be able to predict HOW these people will react, but given that some of them have quit their jobs and given away their worldly possessions, I suspect there will be fallout.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Apocalypse Not
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you take reasonable notice of such plain definitions of what symbols mean, what are the times and entities the text itself indicates they should be applied to, and what the context indicates about whether it is literal narrative or figuative, you can arrive at an interpretation that is entirely consistent and makes perfect sense, and is not just something you dreamed up.
I just need to remind people that in a decade of making various predictions on this site, Ron has yet to have ONE come anywhere even close to true.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
I just need to remind people that in a decade of making various predictions on this site, Ron has yet to have ONE come anywhere even close to true.
A further reminder: the way to demonstrate that predictions have been accurate, and that further predictions should be greeted with anything other than skepticism, is to point to those predictions and the outcomes that matched up, along with the predictions that weren't verified, so they can be compared. It is not to simply state, in a tone of righteous indignation, that it is known that one has been correct many times in the past and that one's detractors are full of bunk and other personal defects and that one therefore isn't beholden to respond to direct challenges.

That's the way to avoid demonstrating accurate predictions.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
God, I am so tired of all my Facebook friends cracking unoriginal jokes about this May 21 thing. Shouldn't it at least be over now?
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

quote:
Originally posted by Parkour:
quote:
a false doctrine derrived from wresting a very few metaphorical statements out of context.

Rapture nate dhalani, you totally see her saying it.
HA! [ROFL]
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I saw that too-I forgot to post about it, though:) That deserves a bazinga for sure:)
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
We were at a child's birthday party during the rapture last night, so apparently all our kids are little heathens after all! I KNEW it!
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Good news everyone!

The date was merely a bit early
quote:
California preacher Harold Camping says his prophecy that the world would end was off by five months because Judgment Day actually will come on October 21.

The independent Christian radio host said Monday the apocalypse will come five months after May 21, the original date he predicted.

Mr. Camping says he felt so terrible when his doomsday prediction did not come true on Saturday that he left home and took refuge in a motel with his wife.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/americas/radio-host-says-rapture-actually-coming-in-october/article2032209/
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

That's not good news at all!
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

quote:
Saturday was “an invisible judgment day” in which a spiritual judgment took place, he said. But the timing and the structure is the same as it has always been, he said.
The Yahoo version of this article quotes him as promising that we will still be consumed by a fireball on October 21st. Which just leaves me wondering if it's going to be one of them invisible fireballs.
Destineer
Member # 821

quote:
Mr. Camping says he felt so terrible when his doomsday prediction did not come true on Saturday that he left home and took refuge in a motel with his wife.
Sounds like he got some pity sex.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.