FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Legend of Korra has a release date (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Legend of Korra has a release date
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER?

I'm really interested to see who the big bad is behind that mask.

END SPOILER?

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER

Part of me wonders if it's someone we actually know, or a descendent of someone we know.

END SPOILER

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

That's been more or less what I've been thinking about the situation as well.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think it should be the Cabbage Merchant's grandson.

After all, who suffered more at the hands of benders than the poor cabbage merchant?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

That would be pretty amazing.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
who suffered more at the hands of benders than the poor cabbage merchant?
I've got serious suspicions that it's...

SPOILER
Firelord Ozai
.>.
But the cabbage merchant's son would be fantastic.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

SPOILER

Yeah I thought that too...but it'd really be stretching the rules for the show for him to have lived that long unless they have some bizarre supernatural explanation as to why he's still alive 100 years later.

If Amon was voiced by Mark Hamill, it'd be even more suspicious, but their voices ARE similar enough to make you wonder. And there's the fact that Ozai was the only victim of energy bending in the last couple thousands years, so he's the only one with experience in it. And it gives him an excuse to hide his face.

But I really hope it isn't. It just doesn't seem like it'd make as much sense.

I am curious how the Equalists learned chi blocking. Ty Lee taught it to the Kyoshi warriors...so you have to wonder if maybe Amon is actually related to Sokka and Suki.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Let me throw out another theory.

Amon's face is shielded because he visited the spirit world and it was stolen by Ko. So he has no face, but Ko taught him how to energy bend.

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

Amon's face is shielded because he visited the spirit world and it was stolen by Ko. So he has no face, but Ko taught him how to energy bend.

By far the best theory.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

On another note, I'm 20 minutes into the live action movie, which I've never seen before...and it's horrible.

I mean, just awful.

The graphics, the costumes, the Fire Nation ships, all of that stuff is pretty damn sweet actually. I feel like with the exception of the music, the NAILED it visually.

But this story is terrible! I can't believe they used this script.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I retract that. Some of the martial arts and bending are comically slow paced and lame. They sort of failed on the follow through. Sigh.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On another note, I'm 20 minutes into the live action movie, which I've never seen before...and it's horrible.

I mean, just awful.

You already knew I didn't eat a hat right? honest question, don't watch this movie
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of wondered if Amon might be Aang's other son Bumi, the only non-bender among a family of extremely powerful benders. Or Bumi's son, so the rest of his story could be true, about the farming, and being shaken down by a firebender, and if his father were the son of Aang and Katara, it's pretty likely he would stand up to some one trying to threaten his family, even if he couldn't win.

So if Amon looks like Aang, or like Tenzin, it would explain hiding his face, and might also explain how he could have a power that only Aang has ever used.

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

SPOILER

quote:

For some reason, I doubt this will be the case, but this would definitely be the coolest explanation I've heard so far. I'm hoping the new series acknowledges the spirit world's role in the Avatar mythology at some point in it's apparently brief run.

In other news, I'm kinda bummed most reports seem to suggest Legend of Korra is only supposed to run for two seasons. I'm hoping the fan support will help sway that tide a little.

END SPOILERS?

T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think it should be the Cabbage Merchant's grandson.

After all, who suffered more at the hands of benders than the poor cabbage merchant?

The cabbage merchant goes on to form Cabbage Corp. which supplies cheap satomobiles to the masses. (His company is probably the largest after Sato's)

Amon did learn energybending from a spirit, and that spirit would have to have been old enough to remember a time when energybending was more common. (Or just be best buds with the Lion turtle) This plus the fact he draws so much attention to his lack of a face made me and my brother think immediately of Koh. (One of the oldest spirits, old as the moon and ocean)

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Y'all are making me feel like I need to rewatch the original series.
Member # 11614

quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
For some reason, I doubt this will be the case, but this would definitely be the coolest explanation I've heard so far. I'm hoping the new series acknowledges the spirit world's role in the Avatar mythology at some point in it's apparently brief run.

The way they're playing up how un-spiritual Korra is, I'm really excited for her first avatar state. (I feel like it's going to be a horrible disaster, and just turn even more people against benders)
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

After the first few episodes, I still feel like the pro-bending thing is one of the cooler elements added to the mythology of the show. I'm excited to see more of that if it plays a role in the show. I thought it was very well done how they integrated pro-bending into Korra's avatar training.
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
quote:

By far the best theory.
I really dig this theory.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
SPOILER

quote:

In other news, I'm kinda bummed most reports seem to suggest Legend of Korra is only supposed to run for two seasons. I'm hoping the fan support will help sway that tide a little.

END SPOILERS?

It was originally supposed to only be 10 or 12 episodes. Thankfully they doubled it. Supposedly there's still a chance for more, but they'd have to do it soon, otherwise all the material will already be written, at which point it's hard to tack more on without it being weird.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather the series be lean and perfect than stretched out (based on the third episode, which cuts directly into some gritty action and introduces a menacing threat, I'm happy with the decision to have no filler episodes).
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Well, I don't mind shorter seasons, but I just wish there was going to be more of it than just around 24 episodes total.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I'm pretty confident that if they have more good material, they will find a way to make it happen.

One thing I really love about this new show is that they are *not* rehashing anything. Literally the only part that makes me feel rehash is the Naga/Fireferrett duo. Everything else, from the cast to the setting to the plot, feels very different from the original show, yet captures everything that makes the Avatar world awesome.

This shows me that the original's success was not a fluke. These guys have an amazing grasp of how to tell a good story, period.

I much rather see shows that have a goal, tell a particular story, and then end it, rather than drag it out for the sake of dragging it out.

If they have a new way to keep it fresh after 24 episodes, either with the current cast or yet another series, I'm sure they will.

Scott R
Member # 567

All the big budget, live action fantasy/sci fi shows that are currently running in prime time should be ashamed that a group of people from a kids network are writing better stories.

(Not that stories for children are inferior-- just that the stories explicitly for adults are not nearly as well written as the Avatar series has been)

manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
quote:

By far the best theory.
I really dig this theory.
Certainly an interesting theory, but you'd have to explain why Amon has eyes.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Do we know for definite there are eyes behind the mask?
manji
Member # 11600

He definitely has eyes. You can see them open and close from behind his mask as he relates his story of firebender oppression.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe his story at all, it came across too easily for these writers to leave his past at that. I don't think Ko took his face, and I especially don't think Ko would teach anybody spirit bending even if it knew how. The giant turtle was so special that there was no history of spirit bending despite the fact that it seems to be the precursor to all bending in general.

I love how well they are playing both the kids angle plus the quality storytelling! For instance, Amon telling everyone that bending is the reason for everything that is wrong in their lives is fear mongering and then he uses spirit bending and calls it from the gods, using spirituality to wage war on all spirituality and justifying it with spirituality. And it all fits perfectly.

I have no guesses as to how Amon learned how to spirit bend, but I find it hard to believe that he isn't a bender in the traditional sense as well. Aang was in full avatar god mode and it still took a pretty light show to cancel Ozias bending, meanwhile Amons demonstration was more akin to a televangelist healer with some high flying action tossed in.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yeah I found that odd as well. It didn't look anything like the energy bending we've already experienced...so either he isn't really doing it, or what we saw with Aang was some sort of special window into it, rather than what it would have looked like to anyone else.

There's also the question of will. Energy bending is inherently dangerous because it's a contest of wills. Ozai was an incredibly strong person, both as a bender and just mentally, so Aang struggled. Amon was bending street hoods and crime bosses, so it's not like he had a major challenge. Maybe it didn't need to go to the same level.

It's going to be interesting to see what the answers are.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I'm kinda wondering if we'll find out if any of the new technology being showcased was either invented by or derived by designs from the Mechanist from the original series.
Member # 11614

quote:
It was originally supposed to only be 10 or 12 episodes. Thankfully they doubled it. Supposedly there's still a chance for more, but they'd have to do it soon, otherwise all the material will already be written, at which point it's hard to tack more on without it being weird.

Each season is a self contained story, it won't matter to much how long they take before getting the oppurtunity for more. (Yes, Amon is only the villain for the first 12 episodes) ETA:source
quote:
Yeah I found that odd as well. It didn't look anything like the energy bending we've already experienced...so either he isn't really doing it, or what we saw with Aang was some sort of special window into it, rather than what it would have looked like to anyone else.
The energy bending Amon uses is pretty different than Aangs and the lion turtle's. Instead of the Yin Tang and ru zhong he touches the Yin tang and the AMON.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

That's actually slightly disappointing. I was hoping for a longer payoff. For all the drama we've already seen, it's actually kind of a let down to know Korra will solve the problem in 9 more episodes. The end of TLA was so much more dramatic because the tension had been building for so long.

Still, it'll be nice if they can carry enough of the story over, and if they do get a third season with this show, that they can do something interesting and contiguous with it. I just fear they won't be able to dig as deeply as they were able to with Aang.

Out of curiosity, T:man, what is the significance of your energy bending analysis there? Maybe he's blocking rather than removing?

ETA: More on energy bending

There does seem to be some theories out there that the bending is fundamentally different, and that he's chakra blocking (chak blocking jokes anyway? No? Okay.) That could explain why all his followers use chi blocking.

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
We only know of one other chi blocking character, but we know nothing of how she learned. Ty Lee was last seen joining the Kyoshi Warriors, it would certainly be surprising if she and the protectors of Kyoshi Island have something to do with the anti-bending movement.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
That's actually slightly disappointing. I was hoping for a longer payoff. For all the drama we've already seen, it's actually kind of a let down to know Korra will solve the problem in 9 more episodes. The end of TLA was so much more dramatic because the tension had been building for so long.

I agree with this. I'm worried a shorter season will make it seem like less is really at stake. [Dont Know]
manji
Member # 11600

Well, it's the scope of the thing. At the very core, Amon is just a thug. He has a couple of minions, perhaps an edge in energybending. But he's no Firelord, capable of deploying multiple armies of firebenders and fleets of ships.

The instability to Republic City caused directly by Amon can very easily be solved by beating him in combat. I can see how a single season would be enough.

The greater problem of bender/non-bender inequality, though, is probably too large to be taken care of in a single season. Amon is simply riding the wave of anti-bender sentiment. He's not the source of the problem, only a symptom. If the show creators declare that "balance is restored" just because Amon is gone, then I could see a problem. But if the world is still off balance, despite Amon's defeat, then, I would see it as a sign of greater things to come.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished watching the third episode, finally. Man, it is a hella rad show, and I'm glad they made it:)

The idea of the Fire Nation colonies being carved out into their own independent nation is, well, perfect. I really liked that. Neatly solved the problem they posed. The head fake towards telling Fire Lady Ursa's story was great:)

Republic City really does feel authentic to me, though of course I'm a fan and thus biased. You know what it reminded me of? One of the opening scenes in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Obviously I might've been reminded of that anyway, because of the music and martial arts, but in several scenes in that film, small villages, large inns, or pieces of a city, are portrayed and it didn't feel like just a backdrop. If that makes sense.

The character stories are all compelling and well done, I think, even the parts that are pretty obvious (Korra and Mako, der der der!). But perhaps they'll throw some twists in there besides just telling the cool smart girl meets broody-troubled-boy story. I suspect even if they do, they'll tell it well, though.

A neat spin on Aang's problems, that Korra has no problem (even relishes) fighting and physicality and conflict, but is so far totally deaf I think to the spiritual side of things. This would need to be resolved anyway, but obviously it's going to come into much sharper focus as this whole bending removal story gets told. If memory serves, Aang performed that on Ozai by actually severing his connection to the Spirit World, and that means that she will never be able to achieve long-term success as Avatar until she can deal with this on some root level. I suspect part of her overall arc will be journeying more towards the 'touchy-feely-healy' sides of bending, because what the Avatar can inflict (originally, anyway), it makes sense the Avatar could learn to remove.

I don't have any guesses at all about Amon, but I really like the ones I'm hearing:) All I know for sure is that I don't for a second believe his backstory. Aside from being told entirely too early in the show, it's just too pat.

Liked how apparently Toph's daughter isn't especially fond of Korra, because of Korra's intrusion into her domain. Heck, Toph didn't like Aang either, at first, for different reasons.

I've got to admit, though, I'm attracted to the idea of Amon being one of Aang's children. That has the potential of dealing with the inherent imbalance and unfairness of the world-I mean, some people are just born with a tighter connection with the Spirit World (obviously an important, sacred thing in this setting), and they get super powers on top of it? The Equalists have a pretty compelling political message there. Actually, an example of that would be that I think so far Sokka's only mention in the show, at all, is in the beginning and title credits, where he is shown and not actually named. I mean, descendents of Aang and Katara obviously abound, as well as Toph, and Zuko obviously left a huge legacy as well, but so far (and it's far too soon to say of course) Sokka appears to be getting written out of the story, though the world would've been burned without him.

Another fun spin that I'm not actually committing to, but think would be neat: Amon is either Aang and Katara's non-bending child or someone very close to him, and that child was himself very close to Sokka (which would be understandable, the nonbending son cleaving to the nonbending uncle). Throw in a heaping helping of interference from Ko to put the nastiest spin possible at all points, do some mind-warping and face stealing, and hey-presto! Amon.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

As for the differences between Aang's energybending and Amon's (if that is what Amon is doing, it could be some sort of steampunk tech), bear in mind that not only was Aang performing it as the Avatar, possibly accounting for visual differences, but Ozai was right in the midst of the comet's incredible surge in firebending power.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Well, it's the scope of the thing. At the very core, Amon is just a thug. He has a couple of minions, perhaps an edge in energybending. But he's no Firelord, capable of deploying multiple armies of firebenders and fleets of ships.

The instability to Republic City caused directly by Amon can very easily be solved by beating him in combat. I can see how a single season would be enough.

The greater problem of bender/non-bender inequality, though, is probably too large to be taken care of in a single season. Amon is simply riding the wave of anti-bender sentiment. He's not the source of the problem, only a symptom. If the show creators declare that "balance is restored" just because Amon is gone, then I could see a problem. But if the world is still off balance, despite Amon's defeat, then, I would see it as a sign of greater things to come.

We don't actually know that's what Amon is 'at core'. It's certainly possible that he's the running dog of someone else, but if he is his own agent, well...

Should he achieve success in Republic City, he would be poised to utilize the populace and infrastructure of what is (or at least might be, we don't actually know) the biggest, most powerful metropolis on the planet. Warlords have started from humbler beginnings and managed to go further, and we don't even know just how extensive Amon's network and resources are right now. If his base of powerful fighters are just the dozen or score or so we've seen, then clearly he's got a long way to go: he was able to draw a crowd for his revelation, but it was an insignificant sum of people compared to the total population.

Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
How many episodes are they into it now?

I haven't started it yet because I'm waiting until at least the first seasons is over. It's too addicting to just watch it one episode at a time. I'm glad to hear you guys approve (the critics are digging it so far), so that leaves me hopeful.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Three are on nick.com so far. As for liking it, well of course I can't promise anything, but I'll put it this way, Jeff: if you enjoyed AtlA, or especially if you really liked it, I would be very, very surprised if you didn't at least think the show was pretty good so far.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Aang's only non-bending child was Bumi.

I've read guesses that it's Bumi, and also that it's one of Sokka and Suki's children. Lots of possible candidates.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I've also wondered if Amon might be some sort of servant of the knowledge spirit last seen being buried in his library in the desert. Surely, he'd have access to the knowledge to energy bend or chi block, and he'd certainly have a reason to view benders as dangerous to themselves and the world.
manji
Member # 11600

Oh man, was that a Sokka/Toph/Aang sighting in episode 4?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I don't know, it doesn't air for another 9 hours...
manji
Member # 11600

Oops, spoilers!
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I won't be able to watch the episode today when it airs because I'll be at work. Do they stream the episodes on Nickelodeon's website or something like that?
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes they do, that's how I caught last Saturday's. I hope they continue to upload them to Nick.com. Link--Warning, they have advertisements auto-play. Just click "Full-Episodes" to check.

Actually... I'm sick and as such am up already, I might as well just catch it on the television. Do I even have Nickelodeon? Guess I'll find out.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Thank you. [Smile] My internet access to anything which streams videos is incredibly limited here at work, so I had no way to find out myself while I'm here.
Member # 11614

Wow! Spoilers ahead.

That whole episode was just crazy, and utterly terrifying.

Bolin continues to be really cute, and I'm digging Asami. I kinda hoped the foreshadowing of Korra and Mako was just Bryke trolling the fans, I really like Bolin and his flirting with Korra is awesome. The animation was also top-notch as always, the raid scene was just brutal.

After we saw the flashbacks I'm hearing theories that Aang's 'decisive' action somehow caused Toph's death, and that's why Chief Bei Fong hates Korra so much.

Lyr: Because Amon is not using the same pressure points and such as the Lion Turtle and Aang I'm assuming what he is using is not energybending and just some advanced form of chi-blocking.

I kinda hope Amon is not related to anyone from the first series. It would fit with the whole new generation theme better.

I do think he's going to be related to Yokhan and the past troubles of republic city though.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Ep. 4 SPOILERS

So I'm thinking there's basically zero chance either Hiroshi and/or Asami (was it Sasami?) Sato are uninvolved with this whole Equalist business. Partly it's for meta reasons, but hey, thinking about it, I can see how a rises-from-poverty apparently non-bending ambitious young man would have some ingrained sympathy for antagonism towards benders, particularly if his starter loan came in the form of a generous 'gift'-which would tie in with the other gifts portrayed in this episode.

The dread of Korra and others over Amon and bending removal was powerfully done.

quote:
After we saw the flashbacks I'm hearing theories that Aang's 'decisive' action somehow caused Toph's death, and that's why Chief Bei Fong hates Korra so much.
I don't know, the most straightforward reason for the Chief to dislike (I wouldn't really say *hate*, not yet anyway) Korra as much as she does is that she is a serious-minded professional cop, and a super-powered bumpkin Avatar being feted in her city is not the sort of thing such a person would take kindly to under any circumstances, much less in the midst of a long-brewing crisis.

The flashbacks we saw do seem, at least to me, to be hints of Sokka, Toph, and Aang himself, all middle-aged.

Tenzin & Family continue to be enjoyable and well portrayed:) They seem to strike a very nice compromise between experienced, wise monk at peace with the world with harried family man father of three, teacher of avatar.

Love Chief Bei-Fong, who is of course almost entirely right. Korra hasn't actually done much that was especially heroic, with the exception of the rescue of Bolin. Not that she SHOULD have, yet, I mean she's new to the heroing gig.

Got to admit, at first I was sighing a bit over Councilman Korlak's very thinly-veiled sleazy ambition, but they did a pretty good job of having him trick Korra into doing just what he wanted. A sort of more complicated look at the standard 'beware of peer pressure!' message so often preached.

The ending, though, man. Had some serious oomph. I wonder, did Aman leave her bending intact for politics, or because he couldn't actually take it? The latter seems like a very real possibility. It stands to reason stripping the world's bridge to the spirit world of their connection to the spirt world would be a more difficult task than neutering a top gangster.

I doubt I'm the only one who noticed that for all of Korlak's supposed cynical cunning, apparently at least a dozen of Amon's commando chi-blockers as well as Amon himself were able to sneak onto that island when he was supposedly watching it. Incompetence borne of arrogance, or a sign of a connection to the Equalists?

Good show:)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.