FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Legend of Korra has a release date (Page 4)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Legend of Korra has a release date
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by C3PO the Dragon Slayer:
Still not on iTunes? Bitterness and rage.

We were going to have a Korra party for the new episode last night, but it still isn't out! I paid thirty bucks for this season, dagnabbit!

What's worse is that I hear Episode 6 is a really good one.

It'll be available for streaming on Nick.com sometime today, if it already isn't.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty obnoxious to not allow iTunes subscribes to get it before it's legal to view online anyway.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah that's really bothering me. We paid for it and everything. [Grumble]
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Unlikely to have an effect in the near future, but might be worth writing an angry letter about. TV companies seem to have their head in the sands when it comes to internet media. In the piracy age, if you want to retain the people who actually pay for stuff, you need to not leave them feeling like they got ripped off.

(This in no way endorses piracy - I'm just as annoyed by people who act like they're somehow entitled to all this free content. But that doesn't mean the companies aren't stupid for not responding to a new environment)

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
(It has just been uploaded to nick.com.)
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Combustion Man! (I prefer, what was it, sparky sparky boom boom man?) I wonder if/when that unique manifestation of bending ( ? ) talent will reveal improvements or offshoots in Korra?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think we can assume he was using some sort of specialty form of fire bending combined with some sort of enhanced chi thing.

It was certainly powerful, though it had its limitations. There are a lot of unique abilities I'd like to see crop up again at some point in some way, but there's really not much time left. This season is already more than half over.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Well, there were limitations, it's true, but he was basically a walking grenade launcher. No other kind of bending has matched that for potential lethality, I think, with the exception of blood bending and possibly lightning bending (though when you think about it, air bending has some pretty obvious seriously-fatal techniques for killing a person from within too).
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Sucking the air out of their lungs? Stuff like that?

I suppose you could metal bend the iron out of their blood like Magneto too.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Sucking the air out would be one. Starting a miniature hurricane would be another, or reversing the air flow in the throat and lungs with each breath. On the microscopic level, affecting the oxygen within the bloodstream and lungs themselves, on a cellular level, not unlike bloodbending-though if I'm not mistaken there's much more water than air or metal in the blood, rendering that trickier.
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to confess that I don't really like Tenzin. =( How did Katara's and Aang's son turn out like this?
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Tenzin reminds me of Katara alot with that strong sense of responsibility. He's trying to raise a family, keep alive the traditions of a nation that is barely hanging on, and continue his father's legacy of peace. And now he has this girl to look after and while she may be the Avatar, she's also a wild teenager.

Tenzin is not Iroh. He's not the mature guiding voice of wisdom. He's a character that will probably grow and evolve through his mentor role to Korra. She's really only started her airbending training and is no shape to be using it in a fight.

I'm actually really looking forward to their relationship getting stronger as Korra embraces her role as the Avatar.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

I guess he got all his mom's officiousness and sense of responsibility, and none of his dad's love of play and fun. He seems so worried all the time and frazzled. He doesn't seem like a spiritual master at all to me. He doesn't seem like someone who understands and accepts what is, or who moves lightly like the feather through the spinning panels of life, so to speak. You know?
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well, we also have to take into account that Aang was a young kid. We have no way of knowing what Aang was like when he was older.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I don't think he could've been a squeeze of Lin if he had no sense of fun-or have the sort of children he does, for that matter. I get the impression he's carefully controlling himself to be the sort of teacher he thinks is needed-one could say Katara hardly needs to more embrace her sense of fun and whimsy, after all.
Avin
Member # 7751

- posted      Profile for Avin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
SPOILERS

I am betting that Tarlock is either in league with Amon or is in fact Amon.

END

Since Tarlock is a waterbender from the Northern Water Tribe, and Amon has the golden eyes of the Fire Nation nobility, I think that's doubtful.
Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone else chomping at the bit to see Aang and Kotara's other children? The premiere pointed out that Tenzin is the most serious of them and therefore the most reserved, and I want to see some wreckless airbending! The chi-blockers may be well trained to deal with the other three elements but I would love to see them get pwned by a single airbender.

Also, Pabu and Bolin continue to be a highlight for me.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is anyone else chomping at the bit to see Aang and Kotara's other children? The premiere pointed out that Tenzin is the most serious of them and therefore the most reserved, and I want to see some wreckless airbending!
I thought that Tenzin was the only child of Ang's that was an airbender.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

He was the only airbender of Aang's kids.

He's currently the only airbending master in the world.

Good thing all his kids are benders. They have an entire race to repopulate.

But I would still like to see the other kids.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to see Ang's kid that isn't a bender at all.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I still need to watch the episode from Saturday. I'm assuming it's streaming on Nick's website now.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:

You mean Amon?
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:

Kids.

Kya and Bumi.

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Edit to redact, and replace.

I just found an Avatar Wiki that says Kya is a waterbender and Bumi is a not a bender at all. I don't know where the portraits came from for each of their entries but they both are sporting the Southern Water-Tribe skin tone, while Tenzin is pale.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
Aang and Katara had three children: a waterbender, a non-bender, and an airbender.

http://botanymajor95.tumblr.com/post/22159766256/swagbot9001-legend-of-korra-lineage-family

Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by manji:
Aang and Katara had three children: a waterbender, a non-bender, and an airbender.

http://botanymajor95.tumblr.com/post/22159766256/swagbot9001-legend-of-korra-lineage-family

Am I the only one who finds it mildly creepy that Katara, Aang, and Toph aren't aged up in that graphic? 10-14 year olds should not be in the "parent" slot of family trees.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Where did that chart come from?
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Promo material for LoK released to media sources.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I think it should be the Cabbage Merchant's grandson.

After all, who suffered more at the hands of benders than the poor cabbage merchant?

Well the cops seem to think he has something to do with it, though not being Amon himself
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Woah. I love the return of the cabbage joke.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Especially since it would appear he was actually innocent after all. Once more benders wreak havoc on the cabbage man! [Frown]

Initially I expected this was a ploy by Tarlack, who being the real villain planted a fake informant to send the Chief and Tenzin after Sato, who would've been innocent but it would've been a humiliating debacle for them, and Tarlack's hands would've remained clean. Thinking now, though, that's not really a 200m series kind of plot.

I guess it makes sense the Chief doesn't use her special sensory bending all the time-living in a bustling metropolis, that is.

I'm a bit disappointed by the whole conspiracy thing being found out by eavesdropping through a door after hitting the crapper, but hey, 10 episodes.

I thought this might be an Avatar-state episode what with the dire peril and all, but I suspect that won't happen until the very end and be the culmination of the whole spirituality angle.

Member # 11614

I can't wait til we have an avatar state episode.

I still have a feeling Tarlok is some sort of villain. He's just way too slimy.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

My prediction now is that he is a villain, but a very mundane, political self centered sort of villain, not tied in (except perhaps to serve his own ends) with the Equalists.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

My prediction now is that he is a villain, but a very mundane, political self centered sort of villain, not tied in (except perhaps to serve his own ends) with the Equalists.
Member # 11614

Maybe he'll be related to our second season villain.

It seems strange the way he's wresting more power away from Lin, and now that she will no longer be chief of police his task force will be the law.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I kinda predicted hiroshi was the villain here, he and his daughter were just too conveniently placed in the narrative. While weaning being evil herself would've been waaaaay too convenient a way to wrap up the.love triangle.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet 2.0
Member # 12719

- posted      Profile for Olivet 2.0           Edit/Delete Post 
My boys and I had to pause it after she said "Cabbage Corp." Because we totally knew what was coming. We had to pause it again after "Not my cabbage corp!" for a round of high fives. I don't even know why that was so awesome, but it was. [Big Grin]
Posts: 79 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:

He may just be like the head of the Dai Lee from the Earth Kingdom.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

That's the sort of vibe I get from him: ruthless and completely self-centered and self-interested. He wouldn't object on moral grounds to alliance with Amon, but he wouldn't take that step because to empower Amon is to weaken Tarlock. He's Burke in Aliens.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Does anyone else watch it on the nick website? because I'm getting lag worse than watching a youtube video on my phone with only two bars.

Every minute or so it starts skipping and stalling on frames about eight seconds apart while the audio is just fine. The episode won't load past fourteen seconds so I can't leave it alone while it gets everything loaded up. I think I spent about six minutes extra tech-raging and skipping backwards because the player doesn't hold on to anything its already loaded and shown either.

I prefer to watch a show the way the makers of the show intend it to be watched, and in making the show free to the public I know Nick is paying attention to how many views they get and that all references to their sponsoring and whatnot. Legend of Korra is not going make me hungry for a happy meal or want to play a monkey game but I still like to show Nick the courtesy and that I want to see more of the show. But if they can't even play video online correctly when it is so easy to pirate it does become tempting to torrent instead.

ak
Member # 90

AH, I've been watching it on Nick with no problems. I've been hitting it at odd hours, though, so maybe that helps.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The last two episodes I watched the lag wasn't so bad. But I've watched a couple times where it took 40 min to watch a 20 min episode. It was awful.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Pay to watch it on iTunes.

It's cheap, and it's worth it. Quality has been crystal clear.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
I am sad. No episode on Memorial Day weekend. What a tragedy.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I know you're not supposed to cry over no episode...but....iz just so sad!

I miss Iroh.

ak
Member # 90

Lyrhawn, I miss Iroh too! I wonder if we will get some master in this series who is something like him? One can only hope!

I think Bolin is a lot like Sokka. Are there any other characters that remind people of ones from the original series?

ak
Member # 90

On the other hand, Zuko's whiney gripy anger is something I don't miss at all. I'm terribly relieved there's no new Zuko person. =)

Am I alone in thinking Azula kicked all kinds of butt? She was my favorite character from the first series. The Beach is the episode that showed her awesomeness. I loved it when she utterly destroyed the other team in the volleyball game and then went "well, that was fun!"

We don't really know much about the kids of the fire nation people from the last series, unlike those of Katara, Toff, Aang, etc. I wonder if something about that will come out. Maybe even among the equalists? Interesting to speculate.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Azula was deliciously evil. I mean she was just plain nuts, but she did evil so well.
ak
Member # 90

New episode tomorrow, w0000t!
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Azula was kind of boring after she locked May and Tai-Lee up.

Now Toph-- she rocked socks.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.