FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Presidential Election News & Discussion Center 2012 - Inauguration Day! (Page 24)

This topic comprises 33 pages: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  31  32  33   
Author Topic: Presidential Election News & Discussion Center 2012 - Inauguration Day!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
51st state? Has the vote for Puerto Rico come in?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Called it. From Fox News,

"No clear mandate!"

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
lol
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Puerto Rico's vote is complicated this year. It's not a simple YES/NO on statehood. There are two parts to the question.

And, even if they chose statehood in that vote, it would still have to face political hurdles in the United States Senate and House of Representatives. I seem to recall reading that Alaska voted for statehood almost a decade before they were officially admitted.

Personally, I'd love to see Puerto Rico join, if they elect to. I think it's unlikely, though.

EDIT: If anyone knows any sources on this vote, I'm interested.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

They have to vote YES/NO on keeping the status the same, and then they have three choices if the NO votes win.

Right now it's 49/49 on the YES/NO. And 50% on statehood.

But I have no idea what congress will do if it passes.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
OH GOD AN OPENLY GAY SENATOR
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Did you have Al Frank before?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Al Frank isn't gay. He just plays one on TV.
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Fox called OH for Obama. He's now above 99% on Intrade. OVER.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

NBC calls it for obama too

surprising nobody who follows Nate Silver

Samprimary
Member # 8561

election over

gg

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Where's Ron?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Destineer--FNC just called the election for Obama. That is a real shame. The Obama campaign is not conceding yet, they say, until more of the Ohio vote is in. But it looks like it would be very hard for Romney to pull out a miracle victory.

I am disappointed that so many voters are so shallow-minded and gullible. Obama was never qualified to be president in the first place, and people with real intelligence did recognize that fact from the beginning. Those who voted for him, especially this time around, will bear responsibility for the harm he is going to do in to our country in a second term with his incompentence, amateurishness, and terribly wrong, exteme ideas. I regret that those of us who are more sensible will have to suffer along with the foolish majority. They have brought real evil down on our heads. American will change forever for ill in its basic character.

Those who have been calling for the elimination of the Electoral College might consider that it looks like Romney may still win the majority of the popular vote.

Some of the commentators on FNC observed that Superstorm Sandy may have been the deciding factor, because the momentum towards Romney seemed to halt when the nation saw President Obama touring the disaster-hit area in New Jersey with Chris Christie. That gave the false appearance that Obama might be able to work with Republicans (when he has been nothing but divisive and totally partisan before now). Again, too many people make their judgment based upon superficial appearances, and do not seriously consider the in-depth real issues.

At least with a victory, Obama will be less tempted to stir up his more fanatical followers to violence. But his camapaign of lies and slander have created a large amount of hatred among his followers against conservatives and Republicans. This will undoubtably find expression in the coming months.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
At least with a victory, Obama will be less tempted to stir up his more fanatical followers to violence.

[Confused]
Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Running total of successful Ron predictions: 0.
Running total of Ron predictions: 32.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Yes, Destineer--FNC just called the election for Obama. That is a real shame. The Obama campaign is not conceding yet, they say, until more of the Ohio vote is in. But it looks like it would be very hard for Romney to pull out a miracle victory.

I am disappointed that so many voters are so shallow-minded and gullible. Obama was never qualified to be president in the first place, and people with real intelligence did recognize that fact from the beginning. Those who voted for him, especially this time around, will bear responsibility for the harm he is going to do in to our country in a second term with his incompentence, amateurishness, and terribly wrong, exteme ideas. I regret that those of us who are more sensible will have to suffer along with the foolish majority. They have brought real evil down on our heads. American will change forever for ill in its basic character.

Those who have been calling for the elimination of the Electoral College might consider that it looks like Romney may still win the majority of the popular vote.

Some of the commentators on FNC observed that Superstorm Sandy may have been the deciding factor, because the momentum towards Romney seemed to halt when the nation saw President Obama touring the disaster-hit area in New Jersey with Chris Christie. That gave the false appearance that Obama might be able to work with Republicans (when he has been nothing but divisive and totally partisan before now). Again, too many people make their judgment based upon superficial appearances, and do not seriously consider the in-depth real issues.

At least with a victory, Obama will be less tempted to stir up his more fanatical followers to violence. But his camapaign of lies and slander have created a large amount of hatred among his followers against conservatives and Republicans. This will undoubtably find expression in the coming months.

Quoted for posterity
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
The Obama campaign is not conceding yet, they say, until more of the Ohio vote is in.
highlighted for posterity
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

(YAWN)

I am getting tired of extremist thinking.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
quote:
Here is my prediction for the presidential election: Romney will win 56% of the popular vote, and over 300 electoral votes. He will win Ohio and Pennsylvania and Michigan.

This should be added to Samprimary's list.
It's faster than 1844
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

quote:
Originally posted by Marlozhan:
quote:
At least with a victory, Obama will be less tempted to stir up his more fanatical followers to violence.

[Confused]
He's probably still a little tempted, though.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
The Obama campaign is not conceding yet, they say, until more of the Ohio vote is in.
highlighted for posterity
That must have just been a typo.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

legal marijuana in CO, medical marijuana in MA, gay marriage, gay marriage, gay marriage, gay marriage, and maybe gay marriage, Duckworth wins, Akin the worthless troglodyte goblin kicked out, 'gift from god' rapebaby senator man follows him, Warren wins, obama wins, Florida is terrible, nate silver is right, i'm going out for margaritas, goodnight
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
One prediction I made unquestionably stands up (though I still maintain that most of my other predictions will yet come true): Democracy as we practice it in America works best when voter turnout is light, and only the people who are really informed and really care turn out to vote; when there is a large turnout, the decision made by the electorate is almost always wrong.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Oh, right, that was a Freudian slip. I meant to say that the Romney campaign was not conceding yet, until more of the vote from Ohio is in.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Democracy as we practice it in America works best when voter turnout is light,

Newsflash: you're wrong about this too

You're basically saying "democracy only works when it works for me when only pretty much a bunch of paleolithic fundamentalists vote and the young people all stay home HMF"

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

No Sam, Democracy only works when it is mainly the wise who vote, and fools stay home.
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

quote:
One prediction I made unquestionably stands up (though I still maintain that most of my other predictions will yet come true): Democracy as we practice it in America works best when voter turnout is light, and only the people who are really informed and really care turn out to vote; when there is a large turnout, the decision made by the electorate is almost always wrong.

Elitist much?

God help us if the new standard for reliable elections is making sure only the few and the smart vote.

"All you stupid people just stay home so the rest of us can get on with ruling you." Sign me up for this.

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No Sam, Democracy only works when it is mainly the wise who vote, and fools stay home.
I would wager heavily that level of education directly correlates with how likely you are to have voted Obama.

So I'd actually agree with you, but perhaps not in the way you were hoping.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthonie
Member # 884

- posted      Profile for Anthonie   Email Anthonie         Edit/Delete Post 
Nate Silver 50/50!? Looks like he polled it off! Every state correct this time on the presidential vote (if Florida and Virginia both remain blue).

How'd he do on Senate?

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Since this was brought up earlier, some might be interested to know that all six ballot proposals in Michigan were defeated. That includes all of the attempts to add things to the state constitution. Apparently the majority of voters felt that it was unnecessary and improper to try to add things to the constitution as amendments, which would have made them harder to change later. "Hands off our constitution," was a slogan used in many ads. So I guess Detroit will get a second bridge to Canada. We'll see if it doesn't cost us anything.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

That is not democracy by any definition of the word.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
The shallow minded and gullible Ron proves how shallow minded and gullible he is by making terrible predictions.

Immediately after being proven shallow minded and gullible with his completely wrong impossible prediction... By hammering about how shallow minded and gullible voters who are not him are and democracy is obviously better off if you plebes stayed home and left democracy to the righteous and informed, like Ron.

Who was so informed, in fact, that he never gets his predictions right, because they are all delusional.

Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

I thought Romney's concession speech was nice.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

I liked it too. He seems happier.
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
A small bubble to burst to the rest of the nation, but a rather volatile for my county. Joe Arpiao has defended his position as sheriff of Maricopa County, Arizona. I really thought we had a chance this year.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

Yeah, well. Arizona. South of the west. Can't be helped (yet)
Parkour
Member # 12078

Also Michelle bachmann may lose.

Please.

Please.

Destineer
Member # 821

quote:
Originally posted by Parkour:
The shallow minded and gullible Ron proves how shallow minded and gullible he is by making terrible predictions.

Dude, have you read the TOS lately?
Parkour
Member # 12078

Multipost
Parkour
Member # 12078

Ganesh is false. I have sex. The literal reading of the terms of service means literally nothing. Threaten me with it again. Ron Lambert is deluded.
Destineer
Member # 821

Boy, when I start threatening you, you'll know. [Cool]
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I am soooo glad I decided to read the last page of this thread...very entertaining!
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

quote:
Originally posted by Parkour:
I liked it too. He seems happier.

Yeah, but that's got to be a veneer. There's a certain sadness at sacrificing years of work in pursuit of a goal...

(I'm not saying it was all wasted.)

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Anthonie:
Nate Silver 50/50!? Looks like he polled it off! Every state correct this time on the presidential vote (if Florida and Virginia both remain blue).

How'd he do on Senate?

Remains to be seen. Thus far he's been perfect, but Montana, North Dakota and Nevada are all still up for grabs, though with 2% of the vote left, it looks like the Dem in North Dakota is going to pull off a shocking upset victory. We'll see.
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

In regard to the Michigan ballot proposals, I was premature when I said all six were voted down. Proposals 2-6, which were attempts to amend the state constitution, all were defeated. But the first one, which affirms the governor's authority to appoint an emergency manager for a city that is unable to meet its financial obligations, who can invalidate previous contracts with unions to gain control of expenses, was approved. This is an affirmation of a law that was passed a couple of years ago.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
In regard to the Michigan ballot proposals, I was premature when I said all six were voted down. Proposals 2-6, which were attempts to amend the state constitution, all were defeated. But the first one, which affirms the governor's authority to appoint an emergency manager for a city that is unable to meet its financial obligations, who can invalidate previous contracts with unions to gain control of expenses, was approved. This is an affirmation of a law that was passed a couple of years ago.

Not yet it hasn't.

The Free Press has 80% of precincts reporting and Prop 1 is 52-48 No/Yes.

I hope that trend stays. It's an ill-defined, terrible law.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does this count as a new prediction? At the moment President Obama is about 1 1/2 million votes ahead.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Fun Fact: Florida still hasn't been called, and Obama still has more electoral votes than G. W. Bush got in either of his elections. So that means Obama has a mandate, right?
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Nope. McConnell has already released a statement saying that regardless of how many votes he gets, he didn't run a campaign of ideas, so people weren't voting for an agenda.

No mandate.

Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Mr. & Mr. Koch.

You can not buy our Government.

Thanks for spending your money on the effort. It sure helped the economy somehow.

Cynically yours.

Ms. Liberty

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 33 pages: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  31  32  33   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.