Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Long term lurkers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Long term lurkers
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just out of curiosity, are there any other long term lurkers out there?

1295 posts since Feb 2002... try and top me!

Posts: 1482 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I might be kinda close
Posts: 2525 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...ish.
Posts: 2525 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya. I might not eventually beat you, but I bet I'll be close.
Posts: 1514 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll never beat Aaron.

Of course every time he posts to claim his crown, he jeopardizes it.

Posts: 5642 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cloark
Member # 12400

- posted      Profile for cloark   Email cloark         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do I count as long term yet? My posts/year are certainly lower than Foust, odouls or Bella. Of course, without a minimum posting rate, how can we be sure that someone is sill lurking?

Well, all this typing has made me light headed. I'd better to lie down for 6 months or so.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a very reticent, skulking lurker until about 1-2 years ago.

I guess my posts are over 1,000 now, though, I've stepped up a lot in the last 6 months or so.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, wow, 2000? Really?

Also I've been lurking since about 2002-2003, I only registered when I finally decided I wanted to post (then posted and vanished again for some months/years).

Anyway, clearly you've all got me beat. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dem
Member # 2512

- posted      Profile for dem   Email dem         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Member Number: 2512

I actually had an account very early on and lost the username/password. I would guess I've had about 500 post in 15 years.

Is there a way to look at every registered username? I would like to go back and find my original one just to see when I started.

Posts: 317 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a matter of relative posting, I post considerably less now than I used to. So compared to 2004 Lyrhawn, I'm a lurker...
Posts: 21416 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dem
Member # 2512

- posted      Profile for dem   Email dem         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm looking forward to the year 2038, when i get to do my first Landmark posts. BTW, I tend to like landmarks and it doesn't seem like they are done much any more. Have I just lurked at the wrong time?
Posts: 317 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I imagine I'll get to do mine around 2020.
Posts: 649 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<-- major lurker who actually became "real" a few years back, but then basically went back into full-on lurker mode.
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<waiting for the person registered for a over a decade with only 3 posts to come in here and show everyone up>
Posts: 8701 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dem:
I'm looking forward to the year 2038, when i get to do my first Landmark posts. BTW, I tend to like landmarks and it doesn't seem like they are done much any more. Have I just lurked at the wrong time?

I think the drop in the population is responsible for most of that. We used to simply have a lot more regular posters. Landmarks have always been rather infrequent, even when this place was bopping, so with only a small handful of people left, and most of us having already done one or two, you're not going to see very many.

Though, spoiler alert, you may see one from me in the next month. It'll depend on how the next couple weeks go.

Posts: 21416 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minerva
Member # 2991

- posted      Profile for Minerva           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine is pretty low.
Posts: 288 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, we currently have about a tenth of the number of people who post here on a regular basis these days. A lot o people moved on to other sites, or just stopped posting.
Posts: 14992 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
As a matter of relative posting, I post considerably less now than I used to. So compared to 2004 Lyrhawn, I'm a lurker...

I would say this to be true for me as well. A few years ago, I would say that I knew most of the posters on here fairly well and even knew some personally (though not in person). I used to post almost compulsively. But my posting decreased to almost non-existent for a few years (I think I literally posted one time in the whole year of 2010), but I've posted much more lately than I had been for awhile too.

Edit:

I also just noticed that my profile hasn't been updated in so long that it still lists the musical project I began to create techno music probably six years ago as my website.

Posts: 6019 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Anyone want to take bets on the explosion in posting that will come after the Ender's Game movie is released?
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm dreading that storm.

ALSO EDIT:

"
Ender's Game movie announces casting calls September 30, 2011

Ender's Game Film Casting Calls
September 28, 2011

What concerts have you attended?
October 08, 2010

I think the phrase "jumped the shark" has jumped the shark
November 17, 2009"

Definitely only posted once in a whole year. I'm sure that killed my average.

Posts: 6019 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thrak
Member # 5499

- posted      Profile for thrak   Email thrak         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Long time lurker. Haven't posted in a long time.
Posts: 115 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheGrimace:
<-- major lurker who actually became "real" a few years back, but then basically went back into full-on lurker mode.

*waves*

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
We used to simply have a lot more regular posters. Landmarks have always been rather infrequent, even when this place was bopping, so with only a small handful of people left, and most of us having already done one or two, you're not going to see very many.

Also, the sense of Hatrack as a supportive community, made up primarily of good friends, is not what it once was.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Wave] I think I fit in here.
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Checking in.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath   Email Dogbreath         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been lurking since 2003, though I've been averaging 2 or 3 posts a week as of late.
Posts: 1116 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lurking since 2006.
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just_me
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for just_me           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the only account I've had at Hatrack, so the post count below covers all the posts I've made here.

I guess that qualifies me as a "long term lurker"...

Posts: 407 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anzha
Member # 2060

- posted      Profile for Anzha           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How's this?
Posts: 15 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anzha:
How's this?

Pretty darn close to my prediction!

"<waiting for the person registered for a over a decade with only 3 posts to come in here and show everyone up>"

Posts: 8701 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a short time lurker with a big heart
Posts: 855 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I go through intermittent phases of posting fairly often, but I think I win in terms of member #. I registered back in... *checks*... 1999.

*double take*

Holy crap, I registered in 1999.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Tarrsk, that's pretty good, but as Strider and Xavier mentioned, we're just waiting for Aaron to show up.

(Follow Xav's link to see Aaron's member number, if you don't understand)

Strider
Member # 1807

Totally missed Xavier's post above. I think there are still a few posters around (maybe semi lurkers these days) that have the "long time ago" registration date. They certainly don't have that member number though!

edit - hah, and looking at my post above, I realize it looks like I was responding to Xavier. Weird.

Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do I count as a lurker?
Posts: 990 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthonie
Member # 884

- posted      Profile for Anthonie   Email Anthonie         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anzha tops the charts!

I made my first and only "milestone" post when I reached my 50th post after 10 years. Since then my posting has been comparatively copious. Sheesh I didn't realize I had become so chatty. I should cut back.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. I wonder what my post count is.

edited to add: Oh, that's what it is.

Posts: 256 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaIeswapper
Member # 7911

- posted      Profile for TaIeswapper   Email TaIeswapper         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just using this as an excuse to check an old unused handle. Can't imagine it has very many posts though. [Smile]
Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definitely don't post too often. But, I got nothing on most of you.
Posts: 1568 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy crap! 2008? Its been 4 years? Wow. (Shuttup that seems like a long time to me)
Posts: 1568 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stacey
Member # 3661

- posted      Profile for stacey           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Turns out I've posted more than than I realized... But I think you could still class me as a long term lurker.
Posts: 311 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Also, the sense of Hatrack as a supportive community, made up primarily of good friends, is not what it once was.
You know I have been a really consistent lurker for about ten years now. I mean, I've been visiting this site 4 or 5 times a week this whole time.

I occasionally see some of you common posters write like this, like Hatrack had a golden age. If it did, it certainly predates my registration date of 2002.

[ April 13, 2012, 04:38 AM: Message edited by: Foust ]

Posts: 1482 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paigereader
Member # 2274

- posted      Profile for paigereader   Email paigereader         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We will see what my numbers are!
Posts: 204 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by Foust:
quote:
You know I have been a really consistent lurker for about ten years now. I mean, I've been visiting this site 4 or 5 times a week this whole time.

I occasionally see some of you common posters write like this, like Hatrack had a golden age. If it did, it certainly predates my registration date of 2002.

I tend to agree with the original post. I haven't been around as long as some, but there were a few years where the majority of posters seemed to have created a tight community. Hatrack used to have in-person gatherings; do those even happen anymore?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If it did, it certainly predates my registration date of 2002.
It did. [Smile]
Posts: 36934 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I fit this category. I love to see what Jatraqueros are talking about, but I rarely ever jump into a conversation.
Posts: 336 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fall into the category of "I used to talk a whole lot more here, but now... not so much."
Posts: 3928 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh.

I lurked for a few years before I registered. 2002, I think, is when I discovered this forum.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:
I fall into the category of "I used to talk a whole lot more here, but now... not so much."

We miss you. [Frown]
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I joined after lurking for a few years... still do.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
If it did, it certainly predates my registration date of 2002.
It did. [Smile]
Not from my perspective, obviously.

Foust, IME the Hatrackers who are most likely to feel that Hatrack has a golden age that has passed are those who have regularly attended in-person get-togethers. Those who have never done so, and have never otherwise built relationships with other Hatrackers (via chat, email, or just lots of posts on Hatrack) are less likely to see the difference.

As a long-time lurker who (as far as I know) has done none of the above, it is unsurprising you don't see that. Then again, it also makes you perhaps less qualified to comment on it.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.