FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Long term lurkers (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Long term lurkers
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, if y'all are coming to me, it's all good from where I sit.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Shan:
Peeking out from where I lurk to wave hello. [Wave]

Hey, stranger. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
So you're kidnapping Strider, and bringing him to my place, right?

Because I don't have any more vacation days left until July . . .

It seems that rivka's picked up on my secret plan to trick a Hatracker into picking me up and driving me to meet other jatraqueros!
As the kidnapper, I plan on making the kidnappee pay for the gas.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Petra_Arkanian
Member # 2306

- posted      Profile for Petra_Arkanian   Email Petra_Arkanian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
<waiting for the person registered for a over a decade with only 3 posts to come in here and show everyone up>

A little more than three posts, but I've got the over a decade part.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:
At that point, you become "real". And get a delivery of some of rivka's (not-yet-)world-renowned matzoh brei!

Woah woah woah... I never knew that becoming real entitled me to any food! I became real in Utah years ago. Porter, beverly, maybe Jon Boy and Brinestone? and I think someone else met me at a pizza place while I was in Park City on a ski trip.

On the topic of lurking, I certainly do it now, though I'm not a dedicated lurker. And by that I mean that while I check in at least every couple of days (which used to mean a lot of catching up to do... not as much now), I also do post occasionally, thus ruining my lurker status.

I go through spurts where I think "I'll get back in to Hatrack or Sake!" and I pop in and have a good time for a bit, but it never lasts. And I'm ok with that. Both certainly played a huge role in my life and I would be sad if they ever went away or I completely severed ties. But lurking on the fringe has its merits I suppose.

ETA: 2005... dang, I'd forgotten it had been that long. I suppose maybe I've lurked longer than I'd thought.

I was there too! You were wearing a Inigo Montoya shirt.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
I lurk here sometimes. Hi all.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't even logged since last July... but I still do lurk. Posting has become even less frequent, though - 28 posts in 2010, 11 posts last year, and just 1 so far this year.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted a lot in my first two years...but then life got crazy busy. I drop by and check things out, but work and marriage have a tendency to take up a lot of time. [Smile]
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Wave]
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if any of my names could be counted as lurkers, but I think this is the oldest one, anyway.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
quote:
quote:
At that point, you become "real". And get a delivery of some of rivka's (not-yet-)world-renowned matzoh brei!

Woah woah woah... I never knew that becoming real entitled me to any food! I became real in Utah years ago. Porter, beverly, maybe Jon Boy and Brinestone? and I think someone else met me at a pizza place while I was in Park City on a ski trip.

On the topic of lurking, I certainly do it now, though I'm not a dedicated lurker. And by that I mean that while I check in at least every couple of days (which used to mean a lot of catching up to do... not as much now), I also do post occasionally, thus ruining my lurker status.

I go through spurts where I think "I'll get back in to Hatrack or Sake!" and I pop in and have a good time for a bit, but it never lasts. And I'm ok with that. Both certainly played a huge role in my life and I would be sad if they ever went away or I completely severed ties. But lurking on the fringe has its merits I suppose.

ETA: 2005... dang, I'd forgotten it had been that long. I suppose maybe I've lurked longer than I'd thought.

I knew I was forgetting someone... And yeah, I wore that same shirt yesterday. Funny how some things don't change. [Smile]
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
These threads are always fun because various old timers always come out of the woodwork.

Hi guys!

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
It's nice to see some old names pop back in. [Wave]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
It has been interesting seeing all the names I remember from back when I was a regular years ago. I almost became real back then when a bunch of central Florida people planned to meet up in Gainesville back in 04 or 05, but then a hurricane caused the meetup to be canceled and we never rescheduled.

The last remnant of the Terry Goodkind board was just shut down this month after over 15 years of activity. First it had lost its "official" status and the financial backing of terry when his publisher had him hire a "real" firm to handle the site (revel studios). They then wrecked the site and closed the board. The original webmaster kept an unofficial page going for a while, but it got to be to expensive. It is sad to see a a site die like that. I hope OSC keeps this board running even if activity wanes. It is a bit of history after all.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Many of us expect the upcoming Ender's Game movie to lead to an temporary increase in activity here, so we'll see what happens. [Smile]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal
Member # 5437

- posted      Profile for Crystal   Email Crystal         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a long-time lurker! [Smile]
Posts: 70 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GinetteB
Member # 12390

- posted      Profile for GinetteB           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I am not really a lurker, just coming by now and then.
:=)

Posts: 135 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
This seems like an awful long thread for one about, and populated by lurkers!

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan S
Member # 11661

- posted      Profile for Jonathan S   Email Jonathan S         Edit/Delete Post 
I've only posted a few times (we'll soon see how many). I lurked for at least a few months before I wrote a response to a discussion on religion (started by King of Men, I believe). I was welcomed kindly by rivka and others, and posted a few more times. I shared a bit about going to a booksigning in Greensboro in 2008.

I've enjoyed reading much of the discussion that goes on here over the past few years, and I have no good reason for not posting since I check the site often. Hello again!

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Wave]
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
quote:
quote:

I knew I was forgetting someone... And yeah, I wore that same shirt yesterday. Funny how some things don't change. [Smile]
I might have been there, too! I vaguely remember it. I went to many Hatrack get togethers back in the day. Good times! I remember I was so nervous for my first one (the one where Brinestone and Jon Boy met!) that I brought a roommate for support/protection. Scary internet people! [Wink]

Also, rivka, you are so good at remembering everyone and making us all feel welcomed and appreciated! [Smile]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got pictures of meeting Dr. Strangelove, and it looks like it was me and Brinestone, Porter and Beverly, Sarcasticmuppet, and Pooka. You must be thinking of some other get-together, hansenj. There certainly were a lot back in the day.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, too bad. [Smile]
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by hansenj:
Also, rivka, you are so good at remembering everyone and making us all feel welcomed and appreciated! [Smile]

Paying it forward. [Smile] I got lots of welcomes when I joined, and when I've been away and returned.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wanted to go to a Con and meet Hatrackers. I've still only met one. I'm not even Real after all this time.

But you all live so far away!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm.....FL is a good destination for a shinda, isn't it? [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I may in the Orlando area next February. Some friends want to get together to go see the Harry Potter thing.

But it really makes more sense that you all come to me. I'm right in the middle of everything! Nebraska is smack dab in the middle of the country. Ish.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:

By definition, shindae are in California.
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I've always wanted to go to a Con and meet Hatrackers. I've still only met one. I'm not even Real after all this time.

It's really too bad that we didn't hang out when you were living in Detroit. Dayton and Detroit really aren't all that far away from each other.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:

We really should do something in Florida. Preferably after July when I'll be back in the state. But I've been there for... ever, but never met any of the Florida hatrackers.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

It's really too bad that we didn't hang out when you were living in Detroit. Dayton and Detroit really aren't all that far away from each other.
I'll be back in Detroit for the summer if you want to try to set something up!
Jake
Member # 206

Sure, sounds like fun!
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I feel like I must be in Hatracker no-man's land, living in Missouri as I do.
Jake
Member # 206

Where in Missouri, if you don't mind my asking?
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

About two hours from St. Louis. I drive to school at Missouri S & T in Rolla.
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
At least Missouri is central, I feel like I'm on the edge in North Carolina. It smells like a shindig is in order!
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
There are more of us in North Carolina... [Wink]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
About two hours from St. Louis. I drive to school at Missouri S & T in Rolla.

That's a part of the state I'm not that familiar with, unfortunately. I'm originally from Kansas, and I've spent a good bit of time in the Missouri side of Kansas City.

We used to have a fair number of Jatraqueros in Kansas and Missouri both, but I think we're down to you and Dan_Raven in Missouri and TStorm in Kansas at this point. It's entirely possible that I'm just unaware of the fact that people live in that region, though.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I have family who live in Leavenworth, so I'm moderately familiar with the Kansas City area. A friend and I drove up to Lawrence for a concert last summer also.
Jake
Member # 206

Lawrence is a great town for live music; it's pretty impressive, the calibur of the acts the city's able to attract (and at least in the 80s and 90s the local music scene was pretty vibrant too. I imagine that it still is).

I grew up in the country just outside of Lawrence, but think of myself as being from there.

Are you familiar with Basehor, by any chance? It's a little town about 15 miles south of Leavenworth.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I've probably been through there before, but the name doesn't ring a bell.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.