FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I miss Lisa (Page 0)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I miss Lisa
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I'm merely noting that there are not refugees from Sake over here.

Kwea identified himself as such on this very thread.
I thought he indicated he tried going over there and didn't like it, not that he started over at Sake and came over here.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Well if that's your criteria you really are looking for the impossible.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah I think I've lost what the point would be?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:
I'm merely noting that there are not refugees from Sake over here.

Kwea identified himself as such on this very thread.
I thought he indicated he tried going over there and didn't like it, not that he started over at Sake and came over here.
Kwea registered at Hatrack in 2001 and Sakeriver in 2005.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Kate Boots started out at Hatrack, was much, much more active at sake than Hatrack for a long time, and has officially quit sake and now posts only* at Hatrack.

*among the inter-related group of forums sometimes referred to as the Hatrackosphere.

Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I just poked my nose around over there, it is kinda strange that they have a topic named Hatrack Gossip Thread, vol. 5 with 189 pages in. I recognized some posters who I haven't seen in a while, and a couple who are still active on both sides of the fence but I still find it odd. Are people lurking here so they converse over there? I've never felt the urge to double up my discussion board attention span despite hearing about SR intermittently throughout my time here, but if I were truly fed up with certain posters or the way things were run here I wouldn't want to dwell on it in my new shiny discussion.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like some of the people I appreciate as posters on here have mentioned me in the Gossip Thread over there. That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. . .
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well if that's your criteria you really are looking for the impossible.

Why does this keep getting put into terms like that? I'm not seeking anything. I'm merely noting that there people who originally posted at Hatrack, who migrated over there, and are not coming back. There are not people (that I have seen) where the reverse is true. So encouraging people to head over to Sake while fine, I myself went there one day and ended up sticking around, is still going to lead to people leaving here, never to return. That last thing happening makes me sad.

I'm not asking people to stop mentioning Sake, I'm not asking that somebody haul those people back here, I'm not even saying Sake should refrain from recruiting here.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
Kate Boots started out at Hatrack, was much, much more active at sake than Hatrack for a long time, and has officially quit sake and now posts only* at Hatrack.

*among the inter-related group of forums sometimes referred to as the Hatrackosphere.

I also post at Ornery. And I do still read Sake on occasion. I am very fond of many of the people there. Because I am no longer registered there, it is easier to resist the temptation to respond to the ones where there is less fondness.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
I just poked my nose around over there, it is kinda strange that they have a topic named Hatrack Gossip Thread, vol. 5 with 189 pages in. I recognized some posters who I haven't seen in a while, and a couple who are still active on both sides of the fence but I still find it odd. Are people lurking here so they converse over there? I've never felt the urge to double up my discussion board attention span despite hearing about SR intermittently throughout my time here, but if I were truly fed up with certain posters or the way things were run here I wouldn't want to dwell on it in my new shiny discussion.

The "Gossip" thread was started to give people who'd stopped reading here a heads up when something big happened to friends they might still be interested in -- e.g. Belle got a great new job or Steve Rogers graduated college or someone got married/had a kid/was in a car accident/whatever.

It's huge because people on Sake tend to post in perennial threads instead of making new ones, so pretty much anything related to Hatrack has been posted there, over the last six years or so. There have been some "boy look at that kerfluffle over on Hatrack" type discussions, but that's not most of it.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a major reason that more people start at Hatrack and then migrate to Sakeriver rather than the other way around is that the probability of discovering Hatrack is much higher than the chances of finding your way to Sakeriver. BlackBlade, you're essentially framing the question as "Which forum do people find first?" And of course, the answer is: the one belonging to a best-selling author.

I think the fact that people tend to move from Hatrack to Sake rather than the reverse is more a reflection of Card's fame than the relative qualities of either forum. Additionally, mentioning Sakeriver and sometimes encouraging people to check it out is also not necessarily implying that it's better. After all, similar posts there encouraging people to try Hatrack wouldn't be all that useful because most Sakeites are aware of Hatrack. The reverse is not true.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack is a gateway drug???
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Because I am no longer registered there, it is easier to resist the temptation to respond to the ones where there is less fondness.

How is it that you are no longer registered there?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jake:

I also post at Ornery. And I do still read Sake on occasion. I am very fond of many of the people there. Because I am no longer registered there, it is easier to resist the temptation to respond to the ones where there is less fondness.
Ornery! Man, I haven't even thought of that place in a long time. What's it like these days? In any case, I'm happy to hear that you still lurk at sake now and then. [Smile]
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm merely noting that there people who originally posted at Hatrack, who migrated over there, and are not coming back. There are not people (that I have seen) where the reverse is true. So encouraging people to head over to Sake while fine, I myself went there one day and ended up sticking around, is still going to lead to people leaving here, never to return.
Let me note that there are people or originally posted at Hatrack, then never checked out SR, and then left Hatrack and are not coming back. So encouraging people that they don't need to post at Sake while fine, I myself sometimes don't feel like posting there, is still going to lead to people leaving here, never to return.

It's the exact same logic: some people did A, then they did B, and since I don't want people to B to happen, I wish they wouldn't A.

Why do you think that joining SR causes people to leave HR at a higher rate than if they didn't?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:

You don't want to know where that rabbit hole goes, man. [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why do you think that joining SR causes people to leave HR at a higher rate than if they didn't?
For my part, I think this USED to be true, but an event horizon has been crossed and it no longer is.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me that whatever trends may exist aren't in place for any single reason. Each individual who migrates does it for their own reasons.

There may be some common factors that effect a lot of people, such as Hatrack existing on OSC's website and Sake not... but even then, that issue is A) Not likely to change and B) Going to be a motivating factor to different people for wildly different reasons. So it's still not really worth stressing over.

I guess it's just weird to me to get this bent out of shape over other people's decisions in the first place. Hatrack, Sake, and Ornery are all public forums, anyone can come and go (or not) as they choose. And they do.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Except Lisa.

(Because she was banned.)

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
quote:

You don't want to know where that rabbit hole goes, man. [Evil Laugh]
Hatrack is a magic carpet ride????
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

Just watch out if a new member named Lissa pops up.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Lissa:
Judaissm and Objectivissm are perfectly compatable guyss

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
I'm merely noting that there people who originally posted at Hatrack, who migrated over there, and are not coming back. There are not people (that I have seen) where the reverse is true. So encouraging people to head over to Sake while fine, I myself went there one day and ended up sticking around, is still going to lead to people leaving here, never to return.
Let me note that there are people or originally posted at Hatrack, then never checked out SR, and then left Hatrack and are not coming back. So encouraging people that they don't need to post at Sake while fine, I myself sometimes don't feel like posting there, is still going to lead to people leaving here, never to return.

It's the exact same logic: some people did A, then they did B, and since I don't want people to B to happen, I wish they wouldn't A.

Porter: There are absolutely people who are on the way out anyway. But there are also people contemplating leaving. They may be happier at Sake, but they might also come out deciding to stick around at Hatrack, and make this place better. I myself made that choice consciously one day.

I think I am in agreement with Tom's last post.

Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

(Post Removed by Janitor Blade. Disparaging.)

[ May 03, 2012, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
quote:
Because I am no longer registered there, it is easier to resist the temptation to respond to the ones where there is less fondness.

How is it that you are no longer registered there?
I was sloppy. I may be registered still. I do not log in.

Jake, Ornery is sometimes interesting and sometimes meta-navel-gazing weirdness and whiny-ness. I don't like (or, really, know) most of the people there as well as I do most of the Sake folks but I don't have to pretend to like the ones that I don't.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

OK then, why do you no longer log in?
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
OK then, why do you no longer log in?

Because I no longer post there.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

OK then, why do you no longer post there?
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Heh. I was tempted to write out this conversation in advance a few minutes ago. I thought I was just being silly.

Now I wish I had. It was so prescient!

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I knew you were going to say that!
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Porter,

Because the kind and useful and interesting things that I might post are not sufficient to balance the increasing likeliness of my telling some people that they are asses or responding to some posts with what I really think. Sake is too kind and gentle a place for me. Among the people I consider to be dear friends are enough people that, should I respond honestly to them, I would break that kind and gentleness. I believe that I am generally polite but that is not the same as being kind and gentle. And not enough for Sake.

Do you need me to be more specific than that?

Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lissa:
Judaissm and Objectivissm are perfectly compatable guyss

Ohhhh SamP. SamP SamP SamP SamP Samp....
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

you're totally dropping a phat beat there
Armoth
Member # 4752

Should I write a Samp song?
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
I knew you were going to say that!

[Big Grin]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:

If you do, I wouldn't mind getting one too. Heck, mash it together and call it "B to the B to the Sam P"
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

The Hatrack Mix Tape

Coming to record stores near you.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
quote:

If you do, I wouldn't mind getting one too. Heck, mash it together and call it "B to the B to the Sam P"
feat "Don't Copy That Floppy"
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

feat "Don't Copy That Floppy"
I'm amenable to that.
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

quote:
I think you are a bad person.

1. It's spelled "parson".
2. I am not, nor have I ever been a member of the clergy, and I do not know what ever gave you the idea I was.

(JanitorBlade Note: AoS was an alt of Dobbie. Upon Dobbie being banned, AoS was subsequently banned as well.)

[ May 09, 2012, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
See, he's doing like, a thing...
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
Makes me wish I lived in the universe where trolling is funny...
Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Hatrack Mix Tape

I already have a thread for this! People just need to contribute!
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
Originally posted by Ace of Spades:
quote:
I think you are a bad person.

1. It's spelled "parson".
2. I am not, nor have I ever been a member of the clergy, and I do not know what ever gave you the idea I was.

See, I think it's really interesting why you chose to respond to me. Either because you care what I think about you, or I had some sort effect on your own self-esteem, or an effect on how you are perceived, socially, on this forum, and in some way, I made you feel inferior. So, applying normal defense mechanisms, you try to do the same. Wit, sarcasm, banter...

And yet you are on a forum with other highly intelligent egos, all of whom have incredible talents, abilities, intellect and emotional intelligence. So I find it extraordinary how easily you are able to lie to yourself about how clever you are by correcting someone's spelling or playing around with words and their usage. It's amazing how it's the little lies you tell yourself, and the demonstrations of your own intelligence that actually do something to repair the bruises to your self-esteem when someone exercises authority over you.

Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Hatrack Mix Tape

*pre-orders*
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Wow, it's only because this thread came back to the front page that I noticed Dobbie was banned. I'm unsurprised that AoS was banned, but I sort of liked Dobbie. Made me chuckle on many occasions.

I know that probably sounds weird, given that they were the same person, but it's the truth.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Dobbie is a troll. He has always been a troll, but one of the ways he gets attention is with mean-spirited mockery.

Once upon a time I thought he was harmless and amusing. But if you pay attention, his jokes are always at someone else's expense. Sometimes quite viciously so.

Leaving aside the last time he got himself banned (quite a few years back now) for deliberately crashing the forum.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Ah. Yeah, "harmless and amusing" is definitely how I'd categorized him in my head. But I also didn't pay terribly close attention to him.

Did he used to post as something else, when he got banned? Someone I'd have heard of?

And... crashed the forum? Man, sounds like a story! How long ago was this? I've lurked since 2004, but semi-sporadically, so I must've missed this.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Longer ago than that.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

dobbie's last post only really said "dobbie was banned after this"

just curious, what did our (second) favorite jew-poking sockpuppeting troll get banned for, anyone see?

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.