FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I miss Lisa (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I miss Lisa
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not used to the concept of leaving your "virtual home" bc u don't like the neighbors.
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It is leaving your virtual home if half the neighborhood moves with you?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I really miss some of the people who now post over at sake, but not enough to ever return there. Most of the people I miss I still stay in contact with IRL, so it all works out.

I for one didn't find sakeriver to be very welcoming, and at the time there was still significant cross posting, so I didn't miss it when I stopped going there.

In all fairness, I doubt I am missed much either. [Big Grin]

I do think that SR has grown a ton because of people getting fed up over here....either with the trolls feeding, or the articles from Mr. Card that some of them have taken issue with (sometimes with good reason), but it was different from the get go as well. It's more than just Hatrack overflow, although that is part of it.

It's not for everyone, but just because I didn't like it, or feel welcome after a time, doesn't mean it is a bad place. It's just....different that here, and I like it here. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I considered joining SR yesterday, but a part of me feels like I would be cheating on the Rack...

Even with my many trial separations over the years (sounds better than lurking), I'm not ready to pull the plug.

Never gonna...

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Rivka: Right, but what I'm saying is that out of people who leave a place to migrate to another (ignoring those who just start visiting both) nobody leaves Sake for Hatrack. It's a one way street.

No it's not.

I fluctuate in my participate in both HR and SR. There have been multiple times where I've stopped/decreased my SR participation while simultaneously renewing/increasing my HR participation.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Rivka: Right, but what I'm saying is that out of people who leave a place to migrate to another (ignoring those who just start visiting both) nobody leaves Sake for Hatrack. It's a one way street.

No it's not.

I fluctuate in my participate in both HR and SR. There have been multiple times where I've stopped/decreased my SR participation while simultaneously renewing/increasing my HR participation.

You're misunderstanding me, I already said I'm talking purely about those who post in one or the other, not those who balance their time between both.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Most people who have joined SR from HR have continued to post in both for years.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
mph, I don't think that's BB's point. He's not making a comment on the likelihood that someone will post at both places. What he's saying is that while many SR posters come over from Hatrack, SR posters who come to SR independent of Hatrack almost never end up becoming Hatrack posters, if and when they leave SR. At least that's how I read him.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
I for one didn't find sakeriver to be very welcoming. . .

This has been my experience as well over there.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
BB's point, though, is kinda unfair, because there have been a vanishingly small number of people who found sake first without coming there from HR. Most of those found it through personal relationships with people who are active on sake, like Kristy. The few that have found it through google searches generally have posted once or twice and then gone away.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
That's probably true ElJay, I was just clarifying BB's point. [Smile]
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
BB's point, though, is kinda unfair...

Not the first time.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
You should totally continue haranguing BB, AoS. It doesn't at all seriously undermine your more serious whining about how unfair he is, and how unjust his moderation is, when his biggest and most frequent detractor pokes at him like a peeved child.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm not going to enumerate here exactly why Lisa was banned, nor do I intend to compile a comprehensive list of people banned in the past.

Slacker.

[Wink]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Eljay: I love Sake, LOVE it. I started posting there specifically because people I cared about from here were there. But I feel sad when people leave here and settle there. I want them to be happy, but we're still deprived of their contributions over here if they stop visiting here. Sake frequently has people mentioning how they never come here anymore because Hatrack is just too inhospitable. It grates me a little bit, because yes I'm the moderator.
----------

quote:
Originally posted by Ace of Spades:
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
BB's point, though, is kinda unfair...

Not the first time.
I'm sure you were just waiting with bated breath for the moment you could post that, or some variation of it. You really don't need to poke and prod me. It's unfortunate you feel it necessary.

[ May 01, 2012, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

quote:
...with baited (sic) breath for the moment you could post that, or some variation of it.

bated
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Actually, both spellings are considered acceptable.

However, the form used (baited) was probably closer to your actual meaning, in that you had an ulterior motive to "persecute, tease, or harass somebody..."

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
...with baited (sic) breath for the moment you could post that, or some variation of it.

bated
I think you are a bad person.
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by TheHumanTarget:
Actually, both spellings are considered acceptable.

Only if you mean to imply that you have cheese on your breath, and are trying to catch mice.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

I think we both know that words can be bait, especially cheesy words.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Scientists have discovered the perfect response to AoS posts. I have recreated it here for convenience.

quote:
Shut up, AoS.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
quote:

bated
Thank you for the correction. I hope some part of you listens to the rest of what I said.
ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:
Eljay: I love Sake, LOVE it.

I never said you didn't. And I know it must suck when people talk bad about hatrack. You'll note that I didn't say I don't post here as much anymore because I find it inhospitable -- I said there are not as many conversations that interest me, which is the truth. I still come by and check fairly frequently.

But your statement that people don't come here from sake is still pretty silly. I just sorted the sake memberlist by posts and reviewed everyone with 1000 posts or more. (95 members) There are 2 that weren't Hatrack members first, one of whom did in fact make an account here an post for awhile. (The Genuine.)So when almost everyone there started here, who exactly is supposed to become a member here after starting there?

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, isn't that kind of the point? Your numbers demonstrate that nobody moves from Sakeriver to Hatrack. You may have identified a cause, namely that the population of Sakeriver is basically ex-Hatrackers, but this doesn't contradict the actual statement.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, um....I think you just proved BB's point, ElJay, insofar as he had one.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I'm not trying to contradict his statement. I'm saying that this:

quote:

emphasis added, is basically an impossible complaint. I read his point as being that Hatrack feeds sake but sake doesn't feed Hatrack. But how could it?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

ElJay:
quote:
I never said you didn't.
I was hedging before talking about aspects of Sake that bug me. I know you weren't questioning my enjoyment of the place.

I don't expect Sake to feed Hatrack, I understand that the dynamics of the place don't lend it to feeding any community. I'm merely noting that there are not refugees from Sake over here. So when people are encouraged to flock to Sake, especially in the vein of "All these people you miss are there, come one, come all!" (not that anybody used those precise words) there is a chance those people will decide they'd rather remain in Sake than try to contribute to the community here. People have a right to do that, there's nothing wrong or even unethical about it, but it does bother me because I want this place to flourish.

People being seduced away by Sake (If you'll pardon the verb) isn't contributing to the health of Hatrack. If nothing else, this place needs more people.*

*Watch when the EG movie comes out we'll probably have a huge influx, and I'll gripe about how busy I am.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
People being seduced away by Sake (If you'll pardon the verb) isn't contributing to the health of Hatrack.

While true, it's a ship that has sailed. It also blames a cause for an effect, IMO.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
assuming the standard brouhaha over the refugee forum phenomenon, then the sailed ship contains in large part a group of people who define themselves triumphantly as refugees. Like as in instead of saying "I am sad that hatrack isn't a place I feel welcome at/can post in" it's more "Boy I am SO GLAD I don't post there anymore, hi five expat buddies"

regarding the latter: little ultimately lost

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I see. I considered what I was doing answering a question, not encouraging a migration. Because sake has been critisied before for being exclusive, unwelcoming, and kept a secret from people at Hatrack we don't want to join. I don't think any of those are the case, but leaving the question unanswered would have been pretty strong evidence that they are.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
*Watch when the EG movie comes out we'll probably have a huge influx, and I'll gripe about how busy I am.

That event may be a good time for me to cash in
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
People being seduced away by Sake (If you'll pardon the verb) isn't contributing to the health of Hatrack.

While true, it's a ship that has sailed. It also blames a cause for an effect, IMO.
That ship can certainly come back. I'm not trying to *blame* anybody. Merely note that when people are urged away from here for Sake, they may not come back.

It hurts that some don't come back, that is all I'm trying to say. Nothing else.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
That ship can certainly come back.

As someone whop has stayed, and has lamented the lost Hatrack of yore, I would love to say that is likely.

It's not. And not for the reasons Samp implies, either.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
quote:

As someone whop has stayed, and has lamented the lost Hatrack of yore, I would love to say that is likely.

Sure, but I'm saying can in the sense it's possible. Not that it *will*.
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dobbie:
I know a dolphin who's an evangelical preacher. He bought a mobile home and converted it to a mobile church which he drives around spreading the word.

It's a porpoise-driven church.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Is that the one I read about which believes baptism means permanent immersion in water?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
quote:

Wait, which reasons am I implying?
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:

http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=057201;p=0&r=nfx

For once I agree with Sam.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Like as in instead of saying "I am sad that hatrack isn't a place I feel welcome at/can post in" it's more "Boy I am SO GLAD I don't post there anymore, hi five expat buddies"

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
quote:

http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=057201;p=0&r=nfx

For once I agree with Sam.

We get it. You are a troll. Please stop being an incredibly bad and boring troll. Do something interesting. Anything.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
quote:
Like as in instead of saying "I am sad that hatrack isn't a place I feel welcome at/can post in" it's more "Boy I am SO GLAD I don't post there anymore, hi five expat buddies"

To clarify, this isn't an argument for or against ships unsailing back to port, or whatever. it's noting that the phenomenon of forum refugeeing involves a group of vocal expats that like to define themselves very clearly as being very righteously happy they are not part of Old Bad Forum and that ON THE WHOLE these people TEND to be people you don't want back anyway, whether they come back or not.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm merely noting that there are not refugees from Sake over here.

Kwea identified himself as such on this very thread.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
quote:

I thought he indicated he tried going over there and didn't like it, not that he started over at Sake and came over here.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Well if that's your criteria you really are looking for the impossible.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

yeah I think I've lost what the point would be?
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

quote:
quote:
quote:

I thought he indicated he tried going over there and didn't like it, not that he started over at Sake and came over here.
Kwea registered at Hatrack in 2001 and Sakeriver in 2005.
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Kate Boots started out at Hatrack, was much, much more active at sake than Hatrack for a long time, and has officially quit sake and now posts only* at Hatrack.

*among the inter-related group of forums sometimes referred to as the Hatrackosphere.

Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I just poked my nose around over there, it is kinda strange that they have a topic named Hatrack Gossip Thread, vol. 5 with 189 pages in. I recognized some posters who I haven't seen in a while, and a couple who are still active on both sides of the fence but I still find it odd. Are people lurking here so they converse over there? I've never felt the urge to double up my discussion board attention span despite hearing about SR intermittently throughout my time here, but if I were truly fed up with certain posters or the way things were run here I wouldn't want to dwell on it in my new shiny discussion.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Looks like some of the people I appreciate as posters on here have mentioned me in the Gossip Thread over there. That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. . .
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Well if that's your criteria you really are looking for the impossible.

Why does this keep getting put into terms like that? I'm not seeking anything. I'm merely noting that there people who originally posted at Hatrack, who migrated over there, and are not coming back. There are not people (that I have seen) where the reverse is true. So encouraging people to head over to Sake while fine, I myself went there one day and ended up sticking around, is still going to lead to people leaving here, never to return. That last thing happening makes me sad.

I'm not asking people to stop mentioning Sake, I'm not asking that somebody haul those people back here, I'm not even saying Sake should refrain from recruiting here.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.