FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I miss Lisa (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I miss Lisa
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
No complaints over thread so far though, these dalliances are always entertaining.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, of course he did. Given the pleasure he, tHT, and AoS took in baiting Lisa (who responded just as they would've wished), I really don't see why anyone would grant them the benefit of the doubt on this, if they were posting at the same times. For those who weren't, though, it's a big pile of forum drama that you can expect them to stir up because they 'miss' her periodically. Nobody who saw their interactions would believe for a second that Sa'eed, for example, actually does miss her-except as a trolling target.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Let he that has never taken pleasure in crafting a perfectly within-the-TOS post that is nevertheless sure to cause someone's blood pressure to rise, cast the first accusations of trolling.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
What was her last thread? I vanished for a while. Sounds like I missed some fun.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
So, Janitor, I replied to your email. I'm thinking it might be worth posting my reply here on Hatrack. I certainly have nothing to be embarrassed about in our correspondance. Do you?

Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't trying to stir the pot, I just don't recognize a large majority of the current posters and was genuinely curious about the "old gang".

There was always a level of discourse and bickering, but it's like a ghost town now...was everyone banned or did they take their toys and leave?

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
THT, many of the 'old gang' left many years ago, well before any of the events (not) being discussed in this thread.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...was everyone banned or did they take their toys and leave?
One of these is much more likely than the other.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

This is what happens when I leave you guys unsupervised?

Darn...

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone got banned.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

In all seriousness though, did most people move to another board?

If so, I think I'd like it there...

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
sakeriver.com/forum, if you're looking for old familiar faces. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ace of Spades:
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
So, Janitor, I replied to your email. I'm thinking it might be worth posting my reply here on Hatrack. I certainly have nothing to be embarrassed about in our correspondance. Do you?

That is not a last thread. That is a last post.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Wow...sakeriver IS where everyone went...

Thanks!

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
What was her last thread? I vanished for a while. Sounds like I missed some fun.

Ok. I am pointing this out not just for how fun it is to remind everyone about the History of Sa'eed (and banned alts Clive Candy, somalian, Contents Under Pressure, Cindy Carter, and others) and drive a bat repeatedly and satisfyingly into that dead horse, but because it relates specifically to Sa'eed making an obvious trollthread where he goes 'hrurr wat am happen 2 lisa? gosh i dinnit know she r banned!1.12//??'

This was where it went down (or at least where lisa swore and namecalled through the last of her potential clemency to the point of being officially asked to leave).

http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=058302;p=0&r=nfx#000000

Note some strange things about this thread. Hmm that is odd. Why look at whose thread it is. I am a detective in my spare time, who works on really obvious cases like "is sa'eed trolling"

Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, caught up now. I have know doubt he does miss her. He probably can't get a rise out of many others.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzouwIQ1Z3c#t=20s
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone explain Sake River to me?

Why did everyone from here go there? I'm way too used to this format, and it makes my eyes hurt...

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
...so why is Sa'eed not banned again?
Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Mike (saxon75) added a forum to his personal website and invited people over. He's not the only one, there were 5ish smaller forums mostly populated by Hatrackers for awhile, but sake and Galactic Cactus are the only ones still active I believe. Initially, most people who participated remained at Hatrack as well, and the others were fairly small and slow.

People started spending more time at the other forums for various reasons. Membership tends to grow every time Hatrack goes down for awhile. Some people who post there still lurk here, some are somewhat active. There are various theories on why sake became more popular with many "old-timers" than Hatrack, none of them probably hold true for everyone there. There are also people who don't like sake for various reasons and used to participate but don't anymore. That's the basics. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
I always just assumed it was because they're allowed to curse over there. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
sake and Galactic Cactus are the only ones still active I believe.

Technically, Tick's forum is still active. But if you ignore the gaming stuff, it's like 5 posts/week.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

Thanks ElJay.

Can we get a little more in-depth? In the many years I've lurked/actively participated, I've had a hard time fully grasping the community that is Hatrack and its dynamics. Without the existence of Sake, I would have assumed people got tired of the same personalities arguing over the same things and people realizing that little discussion was ever actually happening. But that doesn't explain why they have migrated to Sake...

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
I always just assumed it was because they're allowed to curse over there. [Big Grin]

That's certainly the biggest appeal for me.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
But that doesn't explain why they have migrated to Sake...

It was the best available refugee forum.
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Misha McBride:
...so why is Sa'eed not banned again?

Because he's tricksy. From the thread that was linked, you can tell that Lisa took things very personally and got emotional over what was said. Sa'eed didn't get emotional, probably because he was intentionally trying to get a rise out of people and didn't actually care. In other words, trolling.

I don't know his posting history, though, so I'm only basing this on what was in the one thread.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff C.:
Sa'eed didn't get emotional, probably because he was intentionally trying to get a rise out of people and didn't actually care.

An interesting hypothesis. In conclusion, Israel is a racist apartheid state.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thanks ElJay.

Can we get a little more in-depth? In the many years I've lurked/actively participated, I've had a hard time fully grasping the community that is Hatrack and its dynamics. Without the existence of Sake, I would have assumed people got tired of the same personalities arguing over the same things and people realizing that little discussion was ever actually happening. But that doesn't explain why they have migrated to Sake...

You're right, it doesn't. For some people, it's definitely the functionality of being able to play games like D&D over there. That was its part of its original purpose.

For others, whenever somebody takes umbrage with a book or column by Mr. Card they come here and say so, they don't go over to Sake, so those who want to avoid those sorts of threads feel safer over there. People form a habit of going to Sake, or feel they've been gone from Hatrack too long to come back. Still others miss certain posters and so migrate over there so as to chat with them. I post their prolifically, but I'm still around here just as often.

I for one won't be going anywhere.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

My personal theory is that the people who are most active at sake are the people who cared most about the "community" aspect of the forums, and migrated when that became harder to maintain here. I'm not saying things are all wine & roses -- there are fights, and occasionally moderation. But it's pretty infrequent. Most of the people who are there know what they disagree with who on, and mostly don't discuss it with them.

It is a generally more vocally liberal forum, and I know many of the more conservative posters who are there feel they have to keep quiet on their views to keep the peace. Many of the people who are active there have attended at least one gathering where they met other forum members in person, and as such feel more strongly that the people they are talking to are friends (although that is by no means required or universal!)

Also, many of the people there are ones who tried to do "community moderation" here, until the size of the forum made it ineffective. It is still somewhat effective there, community standards are mostly enforced, although some people don't agree with all of the standards.

Of course, as I am one of the frequent posters and a moderator there, you must realize that mine is a somewhat idealized viewpoint. [Smile] I'm not trying to evangelize, although you are of course welcome. I don't post over here as much any more because there are not as many conversations that interest me. How much of that is self-fullfilling is anyone's guess. But I like people more than I like arguments.

Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Armoth:
[qb] I for one won't be going anywhere.

You weren't invited anywhere.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

You say those are the reasons, but Rivka already confirmed the real reason.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Well, yes. Also, PMs. Those are nice.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

As to why Sa'eed is not banned. That is between him and me. I'm not praying each night that he give me a reason to ban him, but I have spelled out what I expect from him as a poster. If he stays within the parameters set, he can continue to post here.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Armoth:
[qb] I for one won't be going anywhere.

You weren't invited anywhere.
Joining a new forum does not usually require an invitation.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I'm probably not going to be the only one to tell you this, but the parameters set should also include disallowing him from doing stuff which can be easily construed as trolling (such as when he is obviously trolling) using a if-it-walks-like-a-duck mentality. It baffles me that he gets to play the forum so easily with a benefit of the doubt he should have lost at, oh, say, his fourth consecutive troll account.
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

quote:

Nor does it generally require going anywhere.
Armoth
Member # 4752

Thanks, That makes sense I guess.

Still love Hatrack. [Smile]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Samprimary: I'm fully aware of all those points you've mentioned. I'm completely aware you and others believe he should have been banned long ago.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
quote:

Nor does it generally require going anywhere.
The words we use to describe visiting a website generally include words like "going". Such as, "I'm going on Facebook right now".

But I'm not really interested in your baiting me into an argument.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't suppose there's some way to get a list of all the banned members, is there?
They're probably listed on the album cover.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
quote:
I don't suppose there's some way to get a list of all the banned members, is there?
They're probably listed on the album cover.
::chuckle::
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:

It's not an either/or sort of thing.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

It's not an either/or sort of thing.
True. But,

Hatrack -----> Sake is a common development.
Sake -----> Hatrack is something I've yet to see happen.

LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
After reading this thread, all I could think of is:

TNT knows drama.

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I frequent Hatrack, Sake River, and Galactic Cactus. Because I know y'all can't get enough of me. [Razz]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
I frequent Hatrack, Sake River, and Galactic Cactus. Because I know y'all can't get enough of me. [Razz]

Ditto.

BB, that misses the point. It's not like starting to post on sake means stopping to post on Hatrack. (It can, but it certainly isn't a requirement.)

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Rivka: Right, but what I'm saying is that out of people who leave a place to migrate to another (ignoring those who just start visiting both) nobody leaves Sake for Hatrack. It's a one way street.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

If I could've remembered my password or the e-mail address I used when I registered at Sake years ago, I'd have the same screen name at all three forums. But, alas.

Edit:

It appears my screen name of choice was registered with a now dormant e-mail address which no longer exists due to a lack of use.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
It's a one way street.

More like a funnel.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Someday I may leap from lurking SR into posting there, but I don't think I'll stop posting here if I do.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.