FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Holy crap, the Boston Marathon exploded.... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Holy crap, the Boston Marathon exploded....
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
literally. There were 2 explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. [Frown] [Frown]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tittles
Member # 12939

- posted      Profile for Tittles           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks bad so far. The report I read had witnesses saying people's legs were blown off. That could just be hysteria, I remember on 9/11 sitting in a classroom hearing about how there were five other hijacked planes still in the air, but still.

Here's hoping not too many people got hurt, and that somehow the people responsible get grabbed by a mob and experience some lynch justice.

Posts: 200 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
They were definitely explosions. They woke us up.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Pics floating around on Twitter are pretty horrifying.
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
A reporter for the Boston Herald that was running in the Marathon said a leg flew by his face and people rushed to put a tourniquet on the guy using a belt. Sounds like it isn't hysteria, at least not on that count.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

FEMA guy is saying they don't know what caused them.

BPD is saying devices have been found.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
They're saying people may have been killed. It's just horrific. I wonder who has caused this.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
2 confirmed dead at least 23 injured
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

Apparently there were Newtown families standing near the explosion (unhurt), as this race was in honor of the dead children.
One massacre was clearly not enough. What is wrong with people?

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
This is not far from my job.
I wasn't there because it was closed. I work for the state so I'm kind of SCARED.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

Oh Syn, how horrible. I hope everyone you know is ok. Stay safe.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah so it's been ****ing chaos over here. We're likely going to be snagging a zipcar to get our friends back home without having to use the T or any city buses.

Sirens, more sirens, more sirens, controlled demolitions. No way this wasn't an attack. Good job, world.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
There appear to be two other devices that did not detonate, and were disposed of by the bomb squad.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if it has anything to do with it being either Israeli independence day or North Korean Founders day.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Let's not even speculate until we have anything to work on. Right now america is full of middle eastern looking people hoping that this event wasn't orchestrated by brown skinned people, because they know our national habit in regards to events like these.
Tittles
Member # 12939

I hate the Israeli's as much as the next guy, but why set a bomb off in Boston to protest them?
Posts: 200 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Posted this other place, but me and mine are safe, and actually not anywhere near Boston today.

One interesting note, is that today is a state holiday called Patriot's Day, which commemorates the battle's at Lexington and Concord (Paul Revere's ride, shot heard round the world).

Most/all public schools have the week off, and all state offices are closed today. Also with the marathon always on this day, the Red Sox traditionally play an 11AM game so that people at the Sox game can walk over to cheer on the runners, as the marathon course is about 3-5 minutes from Fenway Park.

I can only imagine the pandemonium.

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tittles
Member # 12939

And surprise surprise, looks like they have a Saudi in custody. Honestly, the place is a desert already. Would that we could just glass the place and be done with it.
Bokonon
Member # 480

Actually, that was refuted.
Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, Bok, I'd forgotten you lived in Boston. Glad y'all are OK.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Perhaps the more interesting note regarding Patriot's Day is that Waco and Oklahoma City's bombing also happened on Patriot's Day.

BPD is denying they have anyone in custody, though, I've been listening to the police scanner and it appears they are holding someone for questioning.

Bokonon
Member # 480

Rakeesh, yup, life long resident of Eastern MA. I've known a ton of people who have run the race. I've cheered a friend from 1/4-1/2 a mile a way, and walked to the finish line to meet him.

Copley Square (where the finish line is) is a popular location for all sorts of things. I've been in that area more times than I can count.

The marathon is a huge source of pride for the town. I'm imagining ultimately that people outside of Boston will be more traumatized more than the city itself.

theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
The VA tech massacre was also on Patriot's day.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tittles
Member # 12939

I had heard that the suspect was injured in the blast, and is under guard at a hospital. If it's refuted it's refuted, though.
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:

The marathon is a huge source of pride for the town. I'm imagining ultimately that people outside of Boston will be more traumatized more than the city itself.

I'm supposed to defend my PhD thesis in two days (assuming my fourth committee member can still get into town). I've already gotten an email from a New Hampshire friend who is now not coming into the city due to fear of something else happening. Gee thanks, I live here. Well, okay, I live across the river in Cambridge, close enough that I heard the explosions from my office.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Boston Police refuted it, very specifically.

Definitely horrific injuries, the AP has photos you probably won't see on most news sites.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

They do have a man in custody for questioning, but that's all anyone is saying. No ethnicity disclosed.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Tittles:
And surprise surprise, looks like they have a Saudi in custody. Honestly, the place is a desert already. Would that we could just glass the place and be done with it.

oh my god, shut up.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
reported
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I regret being able to say now that I can count myself as having experienced a terror attack. Maybe eventually I get to sleep, too.

There's a few good things to share. One's a quote by Mr. Rogers. One is a moving article by Patton Oswalt. One is the story of Carlos Arredondo. One is the extraordinary amount of help that was so immediately and unquestionably provided by scores of people on scene. There's a few bad things to share. One is Alex Jones calling this a false flag attack. One the New York Post being a pile of garbage that claimed that a Saudi national had been apprehended as a suspect — making sure that we didn't need even a nonfictional initial suspect to get right to our national pasttime of distrusting brown people as a gut response to a bombing (I'm sure glad we have banned user tittles here to take over Lisa's pathologically racist duty in that regard). One is that one of the dead is an eight year old boy. One is that he wasn't the only casualty. One is that there will be very many amputees. One is that we don't want or need to be more scared or paranoid or militant or vengeful or distrustful of already maligned groups, but that things like this can successfully push us in dark directions.

Anyway, like I said, good job, world. Can't wait for a few more days of speculation and rumermongering and politicization and crappy conspiracy theory. Can't wait to get a check in from the shitty fringes on all sides here about whether the culprit is obviously a homegrown tea party extremist, muslim brown people, or literally obama himself to take the heat off of almost having the cover blown on him for benghazi.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Hopefully we'll have at least a week honeymoon before Republicans start saying Obama is soft on terror and that Republicans have a spotless record.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Hopefully we'll have at least a w

BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI, BENGHAZI BENGHAZI, BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI? BENGHAZI BENGHAZI. BENGHAZI BENGHAZI! BENGHAZI BENGHAZI; BENGHAZI BENGHAZI, BENGHAZI.
Tittles
Member # 12939

The Post DID have a report out that they had a Saudi in custody. That's been refuted, but the Post is a legit source.

Well, it's an established newspaper anyway. One I might not trust as much the next go around, sure. But believing a news report doesn't make me a racist. I'm sorry, do Saudi Arabians not have a history of blowing themselves and various objects up in this country?

The nuke remark wasn't racist either. At the time I believed that Saudis had been behind yet another terrorist attack. (Mistakenly.) If I had been under the impression that, say, France was doing this, I'd say nuke France. Although I'm English, and I'll admit we've got a bad history of being white people who manage the trick of being racist against other white people.

[ April 16, 2013, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: Tittles ]

theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

Thinking a lot of thoughts in the wake of this, You know, there is one silver lining to this whole thing. I don't know what point someone was trying to make doing it, but if their goal was actually killing people, they did a really lousy job. The finish line of the Boston Marathon has to be one of the most impractical places to try to kill a bunch of people. Three dead is an appallingly small number given the severity of the injuries and amputations. But, to blow up a bomb half a block from a MEDICAL TENT full of doctors, with people already on hand to shift folks to the world's best hospitals.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/blogs/white-coat-notes/2013/04/15/marathon-medical-tent-transformed-into-trauma-unit/gUAgQIMwTYqwzRkcIDs5PJ/blog.html

The finish line is already a place where once people pass it, they are diverted away to make room for the other 10,000 still coming. As for chaos, many of the other streets that aren't the marathon are completely blocked off, leaving evacuees lots of places to go on foot. Last year I had a lot of fun tooling around my bike in the middle of roads that I would normally be dodging a LOT of cars and busses. The marathon has volunteers stationed at every mile and all the (ahem, legitimate) runners have tracking devices.

I don't know, I just don't see there being a better-prepared place for handling a terrorist attack before or since. [Taunt] Not that it's an invitation to try again or harder, but the really great organizational effort put in by the BAA every year has resulted in people losing more limbs than lives.

theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

quote:
The Post DID have a report out that they had a Saudi in custody. That's been refuted, but the Post is a legit source.

Well, it's an established newspaper anyway. One I might not trust as much the next go around, sure. But believing a news report doesn't make me a racist. I'm sorry, do Saudi Arabians not have a history of blowing themselves and various objects up in this country?

The nuke remark wasn't racist either. At the time I believed that Saudis had been behind yet another terrorist attack. (Mistakenly.) If I had been under the impression that, say, France was doing this, I'd say nuke France. Although I'm English, and I'll admit we've got a bad history of being white people who manage the trick of being racist against other white people.

Tittles. The difference is that if a group of French people did it, if would be highly unlikely that "France" did it. Your monkey brain would automatically distinguish between the French terrorists that guy that comes up to you on the street next week and says "Excusez-moi, monsieur, where is ze tube. I need to go take more photos of Picadilly circus?"

However, even if those responsible were Saudi Arabian, "Saudi Arabia" didn't do it, nor did Islam. So when you respond to a bombing that killed 3 people, by suggesting someone kill an entire country, it's just a little bit out of line. I am interested in the people who did it. Nothing more and nothing less.

Tittles
Member # 12939

Nah, I'm not buying it.

The people in these Arabian peninsula countries import Western dollars and export oil and suicide bombers. The rich finance terrorists, and the idle middle class young men like to blow themselves and others up. The region might have a fine history, might have had decent cultures in the past, but their culture now is foul and rotten. They make cartoons for children that teach them that the genocide of another people is needed. They treat their women like animals. I'd like to see one of you marry your sister to one of them, see him slap a burkha on her.

I don't dislike the Iranians or the Iraqis. Just the people creating this culture, which exists almost entirely on the Arabian peninsula. If anything, the Iraqis should hate the Saudis as much or more then we do. Those poor bastards were the ones that got tarred with the Saudi brush.

Nuking them was hyperbolic on my part, but man do I wish that we could standard bomb the living hell out of them. Give them a little Russian justice. You hear about any Chechnyans raising a ruckus lately?

But we can't. Because they have oil.

Want to know when that part of the world is going to learn to keep it's suicide bombers to itself? When we break our energy dependence on oil. I have a feeling the world will get a lot less tolerant right around then.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Yeah, you're totes not racist, bro. It's so obvious with all your talk of 'them' and how all of 'their' cultures are rotten and wouldn't it be nice if we could just kill them.

Certainly not racist talk, and anyone who thinks so the problem is with *them*. The problem, of course, is that if we just 'glassed' Saudi Arabia we'd be, y'know, killing far far far more of the pold schlubs-and those poor women, remember, that you're so concerned with-who have boots on their necks than we would ever be of the real movers and shakers.

And yeah, let's be more like Russia. Good plan. Weren't you just whining about how evil and oppressive Thatcher was elsewhere? One might almost begin to think your entire Hatrack persona is a great big pile of bunk.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tittles
Member # 12939

I never said I was super concerned about their women, I just mentioned how they treated theirs as an example of how their culture is inferior. And invited one of you to send a sister to live there if you disagreed. But was there anything in my post that you actually disagreed with, or are you making another post all about me?

I disliked Thatcher because of what she did to my country. Home policy versus foreign policy. I believe that if a specific region of the world sends people to kill people in my country, then my country should send people to kill them back. In increasing numbers, until it works. I'm not apologizing for that. Make sure you bookmark this so you can warn people about me. [Laugh]

Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
You also realize, what I forgot to mention in my "who done it" post, that yesterday was also tax day. The IRS being the number one enemy of the Wacko Militia-men-minded Home Grown terrorists, it is likely that some well-beyond-Tea-Party offshoot might have done it.

Of course if its some group of bitter white men holed up in the Ozark mountains, no one is suggesting we nuke Arkansas.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:
[QB] You also realize, what I forgot to mention in my "who done it" post, that yesterday was also tax day. The IRS being the number one enemy of the Wacko Militia-men-minded Home Grown terrorists, it is likely that some well-beyond-Tea-Party offshoot might have done it.

I'd bet my next paycheck it's a Muslim, or more likely a group of Muslims. The crazy militia dudes generally don't attack Northeast targets. The Muslims, OTOH, seem to attack Northeast targets pretty much exclusively.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Yeah, no you wouldn't. Or if you would, well, that would be deeply foolish. I'd be surprised if you knew much of anything about the 'crazy militia dudes', anyway. There are so many possible alignments here. It was tax day. It was North Korea Founders Day. It was Patriot's Day. Families and victims (or was it just families?) of Sandy Hook were there. I've heard but am not sure if the date was somehow significant in Israeli or Jewish history. The marathon is also an icon of internationalism, and runners from nearly a hundred countries were participating. The explosives were apparently made of modified pressure cookers, and it's fortunate given the other possibilities that they were pretty poorly made or designed to kill very few.

How many Islamic terrorist attacks on 'the Northeast' do you think there have been over the past decade, with respect to all other Islamic terrorist activity worldwide to say nothing of terrorist activity in general?

I'm not convinced this was an act of terrorism, or at least not as it's usually thought of. If it was, they weren't very experienced terrorists at all, thankfully. Pressure cookers with timers and backpacks, three dead in a dense crowd of hundreds doesn't spell 'network' or 'group' to me at all, but it's very early and I wouldn't be at all surprised to be wrong about that.

Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

This very off topic, and I really do not agree with the sentiments, but on a technical note, would nuking a desert, any desert, turn the landscape to glass?
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
Some portion of the area directly under the explosion would turn to glass but no, not the whole landscape or even a large portion of it.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Yeah, no you wouldn't. Or if you would, well, that would be deeply foolish. I'd be surprised if you knew much of anything about the 'crazy militia dudes', anyway. There are so many possible alignments here. It was tax day. It was North Korea Founders Day. It was Patriot's Day. Families and victims (or was it just families?) of Sandy Hook were there. I've heard but am not sure if the date was somehow significant in Israeli or Jewish history. The marathon is also an icon of internationalism, and runners from nearly a hundred countries were participating. The explosives were apparently made of modified pressure cookers, and it's fortunate given the other possibilities that they were pretty poorly made or designed to kill very few.

How many Islamic terrorist attacks on 'the Northeast' do you think there have been over the past decade, with respect to all other Islamic terrorist activity worldwide to say nothing of terrorist activity in general?

I'm going to remind you of this post when somebody named Muhammad gets indicted. ROFL

But as far as your second paragraph there, a better statistical set would be "how many terrorist attacks in the Northeast have been Muslim in origin, over the last x years?".

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by steven:

I'd bet my next paycheck it's a Muslim, or more likely a group of Muslims. The crazy militia dudes generally don't attack Northeast targets. The Muslims, OTOH, seem to attack Northeast targets pretty much exclusively.

If you actually gambled paychecks (you don't) you'd be an excellent whale.

Jose Padilla was in Ohio. Reynolds was targeting a pipeline and a gas facility in Wyoming. Narseal Batiste and his crew were targeting the Sears Tower. Hosam Maher Husein Smadi was targeting a building in Dallas. Sami Osmakac was targeting the Tampa area. Mark Anthony Grady was targeting the Wainwright building. The Abdul Farouk Abdulmutallab incident was above Detroit. The entire 2005 bomb plot was California.

etc etc etc

steven
Member # 8099

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Originally posted by steven:

If you actually gambled paychecks (you don't) you'd be an excellent whale.

Jose Padilla was in Ohio. Reynolds was targeting a pipeline and a gas facility in Wyoming. Narseal Batiste and his crew were targeting the Sears Tower. Hosam Maher Husein Smadi was targeting a building in Dallas. Sami Osmakac was targeting the Tampa area. Mark Anthony Grady was targeting the Wainwright building. The Abdul Farouk Abdulmutallab incident was above Detroit. The entire 2005 bomb plot was California.

etc etc etc

Allow me to amend that. Successful attacks.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Excellent! An even better way to be a whale. Use a data set so constrained as to be near useless for predictive power.

Do you know where the only successful 'Muslim attack' occurred in the united states since 9/11?

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
FEMA guy is saying they don't know what caused them.

BPD is saying devices have been found.

Media reaction has not been comforting. Feels like right wingers are almost enjoying it- in a we-all-understand-we-shouldn't-enjoy-this kind of way. But then, most of the media has that reaction when something like this- a tragedy that isn't a full blown national emergency happens.

Literally the first thing I saw this morning when I got up (we're 6 hours ahead so I missed it yesterday) was Bill O'Reilly's mug on Digg or somewhere saying: "IEDs were used... which is what are used in IRAQ and AFGHANISTAN."

This is like saying: "Bombs were used... which is what the Nazi's used."

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
Excellent! An even better way to be a whale. Use a data set so constrained as to be near useless for predictive power.

Do you know where the only successful 'Muslim attack' occurred in the united states since 9/11?

Why are we constraining it to "since 9/11"? Is that as far back as you can remember? Weren't you still in grade school then?
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Because 9/11 was the last qualifying incident of "a successful terrorist attack on the northeast region of America done by a Muslim person or group."

Again, I ask you: Do you know where the only successful 'Muslim attack' occurred in the united states since 9/11?

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.