FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Holy crap, the Boston Marathon exploded.... (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Holy crap, the Boston Marathon exploded....
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I really hope he survives. I'd like to know what they thought they were accomplishing.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed.

I'm starting to think it was a big brother took little brother along for a ride situation. His brother was wearing a suicide vest, wanted to go down fighting. Little brother ran away, ran over his brother's body, and hid in a boat all day, then gave himself up at the end, no explosives found on him. Doesn't sound like they were on the same page, though, to get him to do what they did, he had to at least be on board to some degree.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
My friends and I are so happy that they took him alive. In addition to the whys and hows, it's the best chance we have of making sure that there aren't any more people involved with the bombings and murders.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Agreed.

I'm starting to think it was a big brother took little brother along for a ride situation. His brother was wearing a suicide vest, wanted to go down fighting. Little brother ran away, ran over his brother's body, and hid in a boat all day, then gave himself up at the end, no explosives found on him. Doesn't sound like they were on the same page, though, to get him to do what they did, he had to at least be on board to some degree.

Sounds like a criminal dyad: Hickock/Smith, Muhammad/Malvo, or Harris/Klebold.
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tittles
Member # 12939

- posted      Profile for Tittles           Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, I would have been happier if he could have "accidentally" been burned alive or something on that boat.
Posts: 200 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The police had every chance to shoot him in a way that wouldn't have been questioned, and were at pains on the radio to hold their fire at every step of the way.

A dead suspect might make you feel better, but a living one can actually give you answers.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tittles
Member # 12939

(Post Removed by JanitorBlade)

[ April 20, 2013, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Posts: 200 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 

[ April 20, 2013, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tittles
Member # 12939

[ April 20, 2013, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Tittles
Member # 12939

Besides, I already said that questioning him and then letting him be violently assaulted and killed in prison works too.
Tittles
Member # 12939

Now hold on, I can see why the personal attack posts were deleted, but why was mine directly before that also deleted?
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Profanity.
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tittles
Member # 12939

So Blayne and Sam can type s**t whenever they want, but I can't type a*****e when it's not referring to another poster? Good to know.

Anyway, what was so double standardly deleted was me saying ;

Sometimes crazy people are just crazy, and even though that explanation isn't satisfying, sometimes that's just all there is. What are we really expecting this guy to tell us, anyway? The police are going to be up the a*****e of anyone who he so much as said hi to as he passed them by on the street. If someone else was working with him, they'll know.

But overall, on the very small chance that he does have worthwhile information, I'm perfectly content with questioning him and then turning him over to some patriots in a prison for a few sessions of rape, followed by a brutal shanking death.

Tuukka
Member # 12124

- posted      Profile for Tuukka           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tittles:
So Blayne and Sam can type s**t whenever they want, but I can't type a*****e when it's not referring to another poster? Good to know.

Anyway, what was so double standardly deleted was me saying ;

Sometimes crazy people are just crazy, and even though that explanation isn't satisfying, sometimes that's just all there is. What are we really expecting this guy to tell us, anyway? The police are going to be up the a*****e of anyone who he so much as said hi to as he passed them by on the street. If someone else was working with him, they'll know.

But overall, on the very small chance that he does have worthwhile information, I'm perfectly content with questioning him and then turning him over to some patriots in a prison for a few sessions of rape, followed by a brutal shanking death.

Death would have made him a martyr for some.

And regardless, a bullet to the head would have caused him 1/8 second of suffering. Which is much less than he's going to go through now.

The guy who blew himself up got it easy. How long did he suffer? Yeah - A fraction of a second. And he turned himself into a martyr, so he won, at least in his own head.

It's good to think these things in long-term.

Posts: 273 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tuukka:
Death would have made him a martyr for some.

No one of any significance or value. Let's keep it real--the US isn't responsible for the problems in Chechnya, period. If anything, if Russia or China were the focus of crazy-person Muslim rage, they'd be way more ass-kicky than the US has been.

I don't know why the Muslims don't get that. Compared to the other world-dominating possibilities, the US is far less of an evil empire. Perfect? Noooo. Better than Russia, China, or Germany-if-they-had-won? Yeah. Way better.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Tittles:
quote:
No, they can't. I've edited numerous posts by Blayne, and Sam isn't typically one to type either of those words. If you had said it just the once I might have let it slide, but when it's used repeatedly, that's beyond the threshold for me.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
I like how the Boston bombing suspects were chucking bombs at the police. I really respect how consistent these guys are in their choice of weaponry.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
You have zero informed knowledge of what the actual chances might be, and there's nothing quite so brave and virtuous as embracing prison rape as a tool of justice, as though it weren't a sign of shameful negligence on our part and a sign of just what a moral infant you are that it's a matter for joking and bloodlust. Aren't you supposedly so ground down by life that you're just marking time until you kill yourself, if we're to take your transparent lying seriously? Makes it odd to think then that you'd care about this story.

It's better that he was taken alive, for a variety of reasons, and people like yourself who substitute a sadistic lust for torture for virtues such as justice and patriotism are contemptible.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuukka
Member # 12124

- posted      Profile for Tuukka           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, the fact that he embraces the existence of rape culture in prisons, and even prison killings, tells about deep level of moral corruption.

The rape culture in particular is a real problem, and often the victims are simply kids who got caught with pot. The prison rapists don't choose the most evil people to rape, instead they are more likely to choose the most vulnerable to rape.

I don't see why that would be a cause for celebration.

Posts: 273 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking as a Boston resident who lives and works less than two miles from the site of the bombings, and who spent 24 hours in lockdown quietly freaking out, I'm glad they captured the suspect alive, and I want him given the full benefit of living in a society governed by the law. We are not murderers. We are not torturers. We believe in justice and we will see it done properly.

Wishing death or horrors upon him serves no purpose. We, Boston, are better than that.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tittles
Member # 12939

Yeah, that's right Rakeesh, keep defending that terrorist.

Tuuka, have you seen pictures of this guy? Lol, he's going to be a victim in prison.

It's not like we're brails not certain on this guy's guilt. He murdered at least four people and injured over a hundred more. Limbs blown off, the whole bit. He's deserving of brutal pain followed by death, not a lifetime of free room and board. Just walk him in with the other animals, let them know who he is, and then have the guards turn their backs. Or just set the boat on fire and televised it so Boston could party to that. Easy peasy.

But of course that won't happen. Small consolation is that they'll have to throw him in solitary ford to keep him from the other inmates. Few years of that to a young man, maybe he'll get to be a lunatic.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Just want to remind you guys: Tittles is an odious troll. We already know that. Reprehensible jerk is reprehensible.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tittles
Member # 12939

Yawn. Latter part is correct, but as I've said all along, I'm just being me, which ain't trolling.
Tittles
Member # 12939

Double post, but I'll use it to point out that I don't think most trolls would stick around for four months and a hundred and fifty odd posts when the only person who's ever remotely acted like he was trolled was Keesh. And that's just because he's convinced he has to defeat the awful troll.

And we'll see who's lying and who's not in the end. (In response to Tom below.)

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah. You're playing a character. Which is why you're so profoundly unhappy; there are few things more pathetic than that sort of internal dissonance.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tittles
Member # 12939

eta Damnit. Triple post.
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
Whether you're purposely trolling or are actually just an unfailingly disagreeable person doesn't really make much difference in a practical sense when it comes to how other people will or should interact with you.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Destineer:
I like how the Boston bombing suspects were chucking bombs at the police. I really respect how consistent these guys are in their choice of weaponry.

Yeah, but at some point it just makes them look like a Megaman or other cartoon villain.
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Nah. You're playing a character.

Something I've discovered. When reading any thread Tittles is posting in, imagine him talking as Jaime Lannister, then imagine the what ever person he's conversing with, be it who ever, as Brienne. It's funny.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

quote:
Originally posted by umberhulk:
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Nah. You're playing a character.

Something I've discovered. When reading any thread Tittles is posting in, imagine him talking as Jaime Lannister, then imagine the what ever person he's conversing with, be it who ever, as Brienne. It's funny.
Tittles is more of a Daenerys Targaryen voice to me.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Crazy.

Do you have a link to listen to some of the BPD radio feed from earlier? I'm morbidly curious to hear it as it went down. I've heard snippets, and it sounds like an episode of something on TV.

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=VDV1xt-0Fvc

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tittles
Member # 12939

I'm willing to be Daenerys so long as I can play with myself.
steven
Member # 8099

quote:
Originally posted by Tittles:
I'm willing to be Daenerys so long as I can play with myself.

Dude, I found that kind of creepy.
Tittles
Member # 12939

She's a good looking broad, wouldn't you?
steven
Member # 8099

I have no idea what it would be like to be a woman, but certainly I don't get turned on by my own appearance NOW. Why would it be different if I were the opposite gender?

And you're killing me with the creepy, mmkay?

Tittles
Member # 12939

Well I'm assuming in our hypothetical that I was originally actually me and only became Daenerys at some point in my life.
Destineer
Member # 821

Can I just say, the whole "shut down Boston" response was so cowardly and disproportional. And wasteful, think about the amount of wealth that must have been destroyed by a major US city closing up all operations. Seriously, three whole people died and this is our response?
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Four.

From the Globe.

quote:
Menino defended the decision to ask Boston residents to remain in their homes and not venture onto streets on Friday, because of the potential threat of more violence and the ongoing manhunt for Dzhokhar.

“I had information that there was other things going on during the [time the] decision that was made,” he said. “At that time, we found a pipe bomb in another location in our city of Boston, another individual was taken into custody in another location.’’ He did not elaborate on the discovery of the other pipe bomb.

Boston was just as shut down for the blizzard two months ago. Monetary fines were to be opposed on anyone on the road. I don't recall seeing threat of arrest if we left our homes. Sure, I missed a day of work, and my lost filling isn't getting fixed for another three weeks. But I'm a lot happier than I was Thursday night.

If the people of Boston wanted to make it hard for the police to enforce a lockdown of the city, they could have. But people didn't. They wanted to catch this guy, and were willing to do what was asked of them.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Can I just say, the whole "shut down Boston" response was so cowardly and disproportional. And wasteful, think about the amount of wealth that must have been destroyed by a major US city closing up all operations. Seriously, three whole people died and this is our response?

I disagree. First of all, it wasn't just about the manhunt. There was a real, serious threat to public safety once they realized there could be (and were) bombs planted in other locations.

Plus, the city was NOT on lockdown after the Marathon until Friday after a massive gun battle took place and one of them was armed, dangerous, and on the run. At that point they decided it was safer for people and better for police that people stay in their homes. In other words, they didn't put the city on lockdown immediately to try to find them, they only did it after that huge battle Thursday night. Maybe hindsight won't prove it the best decision but I think it's a fair one.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
When boston got shut down for the blizzard, it was a hell of a lot closer to OMG MARTIAL LAW than the voluntary civilian advisory that went out during the manhunt. And that was for heavy snowfall, which I admit I find somewhat less dangerous overall than partly cloudy with a chance of isolated bullet showers and followup bombings by the same suspects.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stilesbn
Member # 11809

- posted      Profile for stilesbn   Email stilesbn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
When boston got shut down for the blizzard, it was a hell of a lot closer to OMG MARTIAL LAW than the voluntary civilian advisory that went out during the manhunt. And that was for heavy snowfall, which I admit I find somewhat less dangerous overall than partly cloudy with a chance of isolated bullet showers and followup bombings by the same suspects.

I'd say the danger of isolated bullet showers and bombings is more scary than a blizzard but not necessarily more dangerous when you're talking about millions of people.

On the aggregate I would think the blizzard has more chance to cause harm fatalities through car crashes and what not.

Posts: 362 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
I'd say the danger of isolated bullet showers and bombings is more scary than a blizzard but not necessarily more dangerous when you're talking about millions of people.
I wouldn't be surprised if a blizzard in Boston didn't kill at least two or three people, actually.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah and afaik the only fatalities during Nemo were I think still car related. Like, carbon monoxide poisonings and stuff
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

I'm not saying it was martial law or anything, I'm saying it was a dumb overreaction. I could see doing the same thing if there was an actual very serious threat.

As one article I read pointed out, they didn't shut down LA when Christopher Dorner was on the loose.

Tittles
Member # 12939

There are no problems with homeless people freezing to death? In Arizona we get a few homeless dead of heat exhaustion every summer.
Tittles
Member # 12939

Well in the Dorner case he was only trying to kill cops and their families. The most he did to anyone else was carjacking. Not quite the same thing.
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

The LAPD killed two innocent people hunting Dorner. The Boston police and all their associated friends killed zero innocent civilians.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
I'm not saying it was martial law or anything, I'm saying it was a dumb overreaction. I could see doing the same thing if there was an actual very serious threat.

As one article I read pointed out, they didn't shut down LA when Christopher Dorner was on the loose.

Boston's response is in no way a dumb overreaction in comparison to the LAPD's manhunt for Dorner. We're straightforwardly comparing the LAPD's response versus a scenario in which they asked for people to stay inside around the area in which a terrorist bomber potentially wired with a suicide bomber vest indeed was hidden, and caught the dude without, you know, shooting up trucks full of old ladies and stuff.
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

My mother was one of the hundreds (thousands?) who abandoned their cars on the interstate during the Blizzard of 1978. It was pretty lousy experience, walking to the nearest house of people you knew, being miles away from home. Unless you've heard similar stories, or lived through being caught in a once-in-a-generation level bad storm, I don't think people understand how smart of a decision it was to shut down the road.

Without doing the math the cost of shutting down the city is much less than the (potential) cost to the government of towing a similar number of cars off the interstate, having people go fetch them a week later, delaying clearing of the roads because crews have to work around cars, and the numerous car accidents which would would additionally tax busy first responders who can't respond as fast. Shutting down the city was saving the taxpayers millions of dollars.

You think you can drive in those conditions? You think your work is so important? I've got news. You aren't that talented, and unless you are working for hospital, police or fire, it's really not that important. Also, your hard-nosed boss can't call you a pansy for not wanting to be stupid in the snow because, whoops it's illegal for everyone. No temptation to open businesses.

Tittles
Member # 12939

(Tittles was banned not as a result of this post, but for trolling behavior in general.)

[ April 22, 2013, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.