FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ask me anything about Star Wars (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Ask me anything about Star Wars
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, The Crystal Star. I read it as a teenager and absolutely hated it, and I even liked the Jedi Academy books.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
OMG you guys! Carrie Fisher lost a bunch of weight and looks loke the crypt keeper! [Eek!] [Angst]

Also Mark Hammil is rocking a Dumbledore.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe weight loss was one of the reasons she did coke, especially for ROTJ.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by theamazeeaz:
quote:
Originally posted by Parkour:
I can't even sit through the holiday special, no idea how you could handle being forced to be a part of it.

I assume paychecks were involved?
Mainly just half the cast doing lines of coke with Carrie daily

She says she was so blasted she barely remembers her days on set. No jokes.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Officially the absolute worst part of the EU once we account for the meta-engagement of the works as, in, and on society, is the Wookiepedia article and attached page edit commentary for "Breast"
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
What the. Why does that even exist? Is it safe to assume that it was put together by horny teenage nerds who have never seen real breasts?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faithe Bloxam
Member # 13245

- posted      Profile for Faithe Bloxam           Edit/Delete Post 
Since my 7 years old son is into Star Wars now he wants to know how old exactly is Yoda? I say 300 hundred years old or older, am I right?
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yoda was just under 900 years old when he died, based on his dialogue in RotJ and statements in the Clone Wars cartoon.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone here used to play the Star Wars CCG?

I miss it very much and due to the lack of meatspace places to play, I found this: http://www.holotable.com/. I'll be futzing around with it in the near future.

Of course, it's been over a decade, so I've been catching up on goings on here: http://www.starwarsccg.org/. Seems that there have been a bunch.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 13248

- posted      Profile for 1664           Edit/Delete Post 
What do you think was the actual cause of death for Padme
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 13248

- posted      Profile for 1664           Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Padme died due to a failure to find a good app for culture-filled people.

Also Yoda lived to 900 years pretty much on the dot.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

quote:
Originally posted by 1664:

She died of...gasp!....bad writing.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/05/the-raid-actors-join-star-wars-the-force-awakens
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Were those actually the droids they were looking for?
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faithe Bloxam
Member # 13245

- posted      Profile for Faithe Bloxam           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok this is a new question from my son, what kind of creature is Jarjar? Sorry if this was asked before [Smile]
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Gungan.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Faithe Bloxam:
Ok this is a new question from my son, what kind of creature is Jarjar? Sorry if this was asked before [Smile]

Minstrel.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Were there any legitimate reasons the separatists wanted to secede from the Republic? Other then Sidious' behind the scenes string-pulling, how did it all get started?
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

It was all essentially orchestrated by Palpatine and Sidious. The appeal that they orchestrated this around was the frustration of a number of very organized large scale business interests that wanted to escape the taxation, bureaucracy, and trade and labor regulations of the Republic. It is much easier to make tons of money when oversight preventing things like wage slavery or outright slavery (and safety and environmental regulations) are not present. That and the Republic had been seen to have a massively boated and inefficient bureaucracy that was stifling trade. In typical fashion that was all presumed to be intentional puppetmastering from Palpatine, because it's a convenient excuse for everything.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Have their been any Jedi/Sith who duel wield a saber & a blaster?

I kno from the Target toy aisle that there is a Jedi who has a combo version from the SW Rebles cartoon.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Are we answering Star Wars questions omitting the now defunct Extended Universe now?

Certainly narrows the source material. If you're talking EU, I'd say Jaina Solo, possibly Corran Horn at times, and a couple others count as saber/blaster wielding Jedi. But other than the dude from Star Wars Rebels, we've never seen anyone in the movies or shows.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Seems like best way to do it
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Why aren't the new Star Wars movies any fun any more? The first three, IV-VI, were great. The second three, I-III, were tolerable. The most recent ones are just "Eh." Not even worth buying the DVDs. I find myself not caring about any of the characters in the latest ones. Even when Han Solo was killed by his son, it had no impact. He was no longer a sympathetic character. IMO.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the most recent one was better than all but one of the prequels. But it suffered from everything that ALL J.J. Abrams movies suffer from: unnecessary "mysteries," weird plot holes, poor resolution of B plots, and too much telling without showing. It was, I think, well-directed but poorly written.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

- posted      Profile for Heisenberg           Edit/Delete Post 
It was basically a remake of A New Hope, with Han Solo as Obi-Wan and Rey as Leia, Han, and Luke.
Posts: 572 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I can barely watch the prequils w/o fast forwarding thru the "dialog".

At least I enjoyed Force Awakens...course I've only seen it once.

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I thought the most recent one was better than all but one of the prequels. But it suffered from everything that ALL J.J. Abrams movies suffer from: unnecessary "mysteries," weird plot holes, poor resolution of B plots, and too much telling without showing. It was, I think, well-directed but poorly written.

Which prequel? Because if its Revenge of the Sith, that one feels like it could have been a videogame movie. It's actually my lease favorite of the three.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
Have their been any Jedi/Sith who duel wield a saber & a blaster?

Kyle Katarn, Jaden in JA, Revan (pseudo-canonically), Luke Skywalker, Kanan in Rebels, Quinlan Vos, arguably Etain Tur-Muken.

Currently the only post-legacy-canon depiction of an individual doing blaster and blade atm (as far as I know) is Kanan.

Additionally, Ezra has a lightsaber which is also a stun blaster, in and of itself, though that doesn't count as dual wielding so much as using a hybrid weapon.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'd have to rewatch Force Awakens, I can't remember what all my specific complaints about it were. But I think it boiled down to the fact that it didn't generate any of its own energy. The only reason the movie means anything to anyone is because of the reflected glory of the movies that came before it. Han dying, the reunions, etc, none of it was earned, just borrowed. And it was all kind of cheap.

It was a fun movie, just incredibly lazy and poorly executed.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I am the odd one out. I loved The Force Awakens. Admittedly, I had very very low expectations, and seeing it completely blind was fantastic. It's the first Star Wars I have ever seen without knowing what the plot was ahead of time. It still holds up on the second and third viewing, like the OT does, but it is an entirely different film if you don't know what happens next.

I get why they redid Episode IV. In a way I like VII better, because the characters are a little rounder, except maybe Poe. It passes the Blechdel test. It is a fine line to walk-- Star Wars benefits from not expanding the universe, or thinking too hard about the plot. But people want more, so they stretch and flesh out things so they make no sense.

And the beached spaceships were stunning.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
My opinion is the same as theamazeeaz. I loved it, but my expectations going in were cautious. I can understand the mirroring of IV, in an attempt to win back everyone who was lost by the prequel trilogy.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Force Awakens was -fun-, which the prequels weren't.

I didn't feel as if they were borrowing glory, more like, the new generation who have lived in the shadows of the glorious past. As if a new tale was being told in an old, familiar setting.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

BTW...thanks for answering my question to Lyr & Samp
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
Force Awakens was -fun-, which the prequels weren't.

I didn't feel as if they were borrowing glory, more like, the new generation who have lived in the shadows of the glorious past. As if a new tale was being told in an old, familiar setting.

I might have been okay with that...if the bulk of the plot wasn't heavily based upon the old tale. But it wasn't. The movie doesn't work without Han, and its emotional resonance is almost entirely borrowed from Han and the old crew.
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

That's going to be a major problem with VIII and IX, I don't disagree there. Han provides a lot of comic relief and is the heart of of a lot of the movie. Episode IV isn't really even very good until Han shows up.

Despite what Heisenberg says, Finn does play a lot of Han's part when he was alone with Rey, (the "can you unfix it?" line comes to mind). If they can capture that, they'll be good.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

quote:
Originally posted by Lyr:
I might have been okay with that...if the bulk of the plot wasn't heavily based upon the old tale. But it wasn't. The movie doesn't work without Han, and its emotional resonance is almost entirely borrowed from Han and the old crew.

I strongly disagree...Rey and Fin are the heart of the movie to me.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

As the final arbiter of all things Star Wars, let me lay it out straight for all of you with your 'opinions'

Episode seven is worse than any of the original series, which never stopped doing new things and created all of the original, immortal iconographic essence of what Star Wars is. You do not build on that unless you are really working to be a new part of the series, as opposed to a bizarrely imitory pseudo-homage that needlessly and awkwardly straightjackets itself into contrivances used to mimic the structure of ANH. Nothing about the Death Star 3 was something that could not have been done much better, and nothing about how the weapon was used (and what this did to set us up to the final part of the movie) was well written. Aside from some goofy ewok foibles in ROTJ, the original trilogy carried forth just fine as a product of its era. You can't contrast the original trilogy as a crucible of iconic creation against a derivative follow-up that suffers because it tiptoes too close to the essence of the original.

Episode seven is better than any of the prequels, because it was certainly competently crafted together, mostly well-paced, and had vastly superior dialogue and cinematography. It's not like this is a high bar to clear (the only lines people generally remember from the prequels are remembered because they were unintentionally hilarious, and Lucas' blocking and camera angles were grindingly amateurish and endlessly repeated) but it is overwhelmingly true regardless. There's little way to compare seven against any of the prequels, because any of the prequel movies can only really be positively referenced in terms of whatever little points or scenes somehow broke away from the drudgery and shoddiness of the whole. You don't have that with seven. 'An overall good product with mostly good scenes, just with some really questionable decisions mixed in' is better than 'an overall set of bad decisions with some stuff mixed in that was okay I guess.' Episode seven also had real characters that we got to show being built up and established for us. The prequels did not.

Episode seven is okay for what it was, but the keepers of the franchise will never be able to get away with being as derivative as they were in the opening act. We have established the characters. It is time to move on. If they don't, they'll undo the potential and real recovery of the franchise in progress, and settle into tentpole complacency that results in the side stories being better by far than the centerpiece offerings, simply because they dare to be different.

If you disagree you are wrong. Be sure to let me know what you think in the comments below and remember to hit the subscribe button. Hey if you liked this post be sure to catch my series on audible dot com, which brought you this quality post and many like it. Audible dot com, check them out for their free thirty day subscription. Alright hatrack queros, see you next time.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Spam
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
As the final arbiter of all things Star Wars, let me lay it out straight for all of you with your 'opinions'

<snip>
If you disagree you are wrong.
<snip>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhDBSne5HMI
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.