Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Alien Troopers --- A Sci-Fi Short Story for the kids

Author Topic: Alien Troopers --- A Sci-Fi Short Story for the kids
Ezuma
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Ezuma   Email Ezuma         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a sci-fi story I wrote a few months ago but never posted on here, and I saw it lying around... so here are the first 13 lines... might make it a sellable short for the kids if you guys think it is good.

-----------------------------------------------------------

“Yesss!” shouted Dr. Ballistic, “I’ve finally created some invisibility pills. Walter, come here so I can test these pills on you.”
A big, fat human walked clumsily into the lab. Slowly, he boomed, “What are they?”
“Invisibility pills, of course,” replied Dr. Ballistic, pulling out a pill. “One pill lasts for one hour.”
“Good,” Walter boomed excitedly. “Can I have two?”
“I want to make sure they work first,” Dr. Ballistic growled. Walter swallowed a pill and disappeared. “Walter? Where are you?”
“I don’t know,” came the reply from the other side of the lab.
“Come over here,” ordered Dr. Ballistic angrily.

-----------------------------------------------------

It is intended as a comedy for the kids, but I know you guys are good with critique, so, any suggestions you may suggest?

[This message has been edited by Ezuma (edited November 17, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 17, 2005).]

Posts: 44 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
My first suggestion: cut it to the required max of 13 posted lines. Them's the rules. After that, I promise I will have something more substantive.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Check the FAQ section for how to measure your 13 lines. You'll find that most of us support the moderator by waiting to crit until the piece conforms to the 13 line rule.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
The first 13 lines are measured in 12pt Courier font with 1" margins.
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ezuma
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Ezuma   Email Ezuma         Edit/Delete Post 
It has been done.

TY, Kathleen

Posts: 44 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Some suggestions:
* Have a little more happen other than dialog. We have walking; pulling out a pill; disappearing. But invisibility just happened. That's major!
* ...how do Dr. Ballistic, and Walter, feel about this? Is it a great new invention Ballistic is in awe of? Is Walter afraid? Thinking it's cool? I suggest some awe. A separate paragraph for the transformation, to be sure.

Technical:
* Dr. Ballistic thinks of Walter as a "big fat human." Is Ballistic an alien, then? Later he thinks of him as "Walter." Be consistent, I think.
* Why is Ballistic angry? Walter's been very cooperative.
* Lose the adverbs. It doesn't add to our experience to have Walter boom slowly. You also may be overdoing the "said" synonyms. Often, "said" and "asked" are enough.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rustafarianblackpolarbear
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for rustafarianblackpolarbear   Email rustafarianblackpolarbear         Edit/Delete Post 
As for the show don't tell rule I thnk there's a bit more room to tell in childrens stories. But the description "A big, fat human", I think, really needs to change. "The big fat..." seems to give the clue that Dr. Ballistic, is in fact, something different? A metaphor might give a better idea as to what Walter actually looks like.

There's nothing that really shows Dr. ballistic is actually smarter than Walter, except the boring statement "I’ve finally created [some?] invisibility pills." He seems to belittle Walter, who seems very agreeable and very capable himself.

How does this story portray comedy exactly? Because I really can't see it. Is Callum's sister's god son old enough to understand this story, you think? Maybe you should try it out on him, or else just simply someone young that you know.

Posts: 136 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.