Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » First 13 lines.

Author Topic: First 13 lines.
RinkRatWriter
Member # 3535

- posted      Profile for RinkRatWriter           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been struggling with the beginning for my current work lately, but today this came out in a bit of a flood. The work itself is still in progress, but I'm willing to share what I have if someone wants to look at more.

Stepping over the body of the dead Imperial soldier who had been unlucky enough to have been assigned sentry duty, Faden gestured for his men to follow him in silence. For three days the invaders had been wandering through the Wastes, defiling every holy site they stumbled across, breaking open sacred tombs, spreading the debris of all they had corrupted upon the sands. For three nights the invaders had rolled themselves to sleep oblivious to the danger that stalked them through the dunes. The shaman had told Faden before he had led his men out that on the fourth night the defilers would be driven from the desert by his hand.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

- posted      Profile for Louiseoneal   Email Louiseoneal         Edit/Delete Post 
Stepping over the body of the dead Imperial soldier

[You could probably leave out 'dead' since they're stepping over his body. I see 'Imperial soldier' I think Star Wars, for some reason. Not even sure I should think it, but...]

For three nights the invaders had rolled themselves to sleep

[I understand 'rolled themselves to sleep', but I had to pause a second. The rest of the description I liked.]

The shaman had told Faden before he had led his men out that on the fourth night the defilers would be driven from the desert by his hand.

[Is the shaman leading the men, or is Faden? Is the shaman going to drive out the invaders with his hand, or is Faden going to drive them out?]

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellepepper
Member # 3520

- posted      Profile for Ellepepper   Email Ellepepper         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree I still hear imperial and instantly the picture of a storm trooper pops into my head. You might want to change that word. Rolled themselves to sleep confused me, but the rest was cool.

Is the person who'se pov we are in Faden? If so you need to make that clear up front. But I like.

Posts: 151 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Stepping over the body of the dead Imperial soldier who had been unlucky enough to have been assigned sentry duty, Faden gestured for his men to follow him in silence.

I think you might be trying to pack too much in here. The sentence is a little long, and that makes for a long trip between the step and the gesture, which are (I'm assuming) simultaneous. I also think that beginning a sentence with an -ing construction weakens it, because you're waiting for the "real" action verb. Finally, "body of the dead...soldier" is redundant, as has been mentioned.

Put those thoughts together, and I get this: "Faden stepped over the dead sentry and gestured for his men to follow him silently." I'm not sure whether you need "silently" or not.

quote:
For three days the invaders had been wandering...The shaman had told Faden...that...the defilers would be driven from the desert by his hand.

Unless I'm reading wrong, the identity of "the invaders" is ambiguous until you reach the phrase "by his hand". It could be either the Empire or Faden's band.

Regards,
Oliver

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RinkRatWriter
Member # 3535

- posted      Profile for RinkRatWriter           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the feedback all. It did feel a little clunky, but I couldn't pin down why.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Figure out where your story begins.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.