Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Untitled Sci Fi

Author Topic: Untitled Sci Fi
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, folks, here's my first crack at sci fi. Well, we'll see how it goes. It's about 5200 words. I'd appreciate any comments on the 13 as well as offers to read. Thanks!

====
“Niels isn’t going to work,” Tau said, slipping into the seat at her console.

Germain peered at her over the rim of his koffy mug. “Don’t be silly. Of course he will. SuperStar predicted it.” Germain had looked over the computer’s history predictions himself to confirm them before they'd sent Bohr's engineered embryo spinning through spacetime.

She shook her head, looking a little sad. Bohr had been her pet project, unlike any of her other operatives. “See for yourself. Niels doesn't splice the atom.”

“It’s Bohr, not Niels,” Germain said. It was one of their protocols never to get too involved in their creations, and calling an operative by first name seemed a bit risky. He

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited November 29, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 29, 2007).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KPKilburn
Member # 6876

- posted      Profile for KPKilburn   Email KPKilburn         Edit/Delete Post 
This was interesting because I recognized the name Niels Bohr. Had to read it twice, but it sort of makes sense. Is it supposed to be comedic SF? That was my impression.

Nits below...

“Niels isn’t going to work,” Tau said, slipping into the seat at her console.

When I first read the line, it seemed that it meant he wasn't going to his place of work. Maybe "Niels isn't going to work out?" But that sounds like he's going to the gym. Not sure how to make it clearer.

Germain peered at her over the rim of his koffy British spelling I'm not familiar with?mug. “Don’t be silly. Of course he will. SuperStar not really liking that name predicted it.” Germain had looked over the computer’s history predictions himself to confirm them before they'd sent Bohr's engineered embryo spinning through spacetime. starting to make sense here

She shook her head, looking a little sad. Bohr had been her pet project, unlike any of her other operatives. “See for yourself. Niels doesn't splice the atom.”

“It’s Bohr, not Niels,” Germain said. It was one of their protocols never to get too involved in their creations, and calling an operative by first name seemed a bit risky. He scanned the report Tau handed him. Niels Bohr would only go so as to map

I'd continue to read after the first 13, especially since it's only 5200 words.

[This message has been edited by KPKilburn (edited November 29, 2007).]

Posts: 172 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi anne,

I like the tone and the authentic feel of the dialogue. The plot sounds intruiging, either genetic mods or creation of people in virtual worlds, maybe something else, don't know, don't mind.

Just a couple of nits. I didn't care for "koffy" because it seemed a simplistic way of indicating we're somewhen in the future.

"spinning through spacetime" sounded a bit odd to me. I'm not sure what the concept here is, and while that's ok, I wondered if that what Tau and Germain call where he's going.

If you'd like to e-mail the story to me I'd love to give you a critique although it may take me a few days to get back to you.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Hm, that's a good point about the first line, KPK. I hadn't even thought of that.

quote:
I'd continue to read after the first 13, especially since it's only 5200 words.

Does this mean your willing to take a gander at it?

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing that some of these nouns are future perversions of modern words. Germain (which actually means "relevant" :P ) = Jermaine, koffy = coffee, etc. It's possible but then you have to consider that many more of the words would have to be changed depending on how far into the future this is.

Asimov walks around this by writing future events in English, but referring to the language as "Galactic Standard" etc. and talking about how it's a perversion of modern English. He even has a time-traveling character from his time travel to the far distant future where people speaking this English derivative can't understand him, and vice versa just to illustrate that he recognizes the evolution of language. Think of an ancient German hearing us talk.

And you're also doing the sci-fi jargon too soon like I mention in my other thread, but apparently that's just me

[This message has been edited by ArCHeR (edited November 30, 2007).]

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Ruyle
Member # 5943

- posted      Profile for Jon Ruyle   Email Jon Ruyle         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. I'll read.

Posts: 101 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Lol. I think I got the same readers as I did for my other stuff, minus a few! I suppose that's to be expected--we all have our tastes. Thanks!
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm always up for reading your work - send it along!
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supraturtle
Member # 1518

- posted      Profile for supraturtle   Email supraturtle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd read on. The dialogue looks like a nice scroll.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KPKilburn
Member # 6876

- posted      Profile for KPKilburn   Email KPKilburn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does this mean your willing to take a gander at it?

Sorry, I could have made that clearer. Yes, I'd like to read it. I probably won't get to it until Tuesday (4 Dec) if that's OK.

Posts: 172 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
annepin:

Since I haven't read anything of yours, I'll take a peek too.

T2

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Anne - are you on another draft of this yet? Let me know, I would read if you'd like because sci-fi is my preferred genre.

My main feedback on this first 13, though, is that there's a lot of new/unfamiliar words coming at us all at once. character's names that are unfamiliar, mixed in with a lot of jargon...it's a bit much to introduce so quickly.

I don't know if it's a great practice, but one way I've seen this sort of thing handled is through MC inner dialogue/thoughts. For example:

"Don't be silly. SuperStar predicted it." Superstar was the spaceship's main computer system. SuperStar was never wrong. Or at least, never before.

-See what I mean? Now that I wrote that suggestion, it occurred to me that we don't have any idea of setting, which makes it hard for me to situate this. Are they on a spaceship? Another planet? clearly they're indoors, she's at a console, but that's about all I can figure. It's helpful, at least to me as a reader of sci-fi, to have a place to ground myself in.

Also, it seems like shifting POV here. Who is the MC? I always assume ppl writing in 3rd person are writin 3rd person limited, but this has an omni feel to it (germain's inner thought, tau's inner thoughts...) If you're writing omni, great. If you meant to be 3rd person limited, you might want to rein in the thoughts or peg them all to one character or the other.

Anyway - if you still want readers, let me know. Busy week but I can get to this sometime soon (say so if you have a specific deadline.)

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.