Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Apocalyptic Taco Mix - looking for second draft readers

Author Topic: Apocalyptic Taco Mix - looking for second draft readers
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Some of you have seen this, it was my entry to the last challenge that ran through Nov 1. I've polished, but haven't added or changed anything sigificant that I can think of. Genre is near-term science fiction, dystopia, post-apocalypse. Story is 8222 words (including about 200 words that are of the "notes to self/reviewers" variety, asking questions about whether I should include a passage, how to integrate more motivation to a character, etc.)

I am looking for reviewers for the completed story. I am hopeful it's in a final polished state, but seek input specifically on those "notes to self/reviewers" and how well the overall story works. I don't need a lot of feedback on this first 13 other than if I've messed something up.

Thanks!

"Sylvia, you're getting worse." Nate said, trying to mask the worry in his voice. His sister was in the midst of a coughing fit and didn't answer him. When the coughs subsided, she looked up at him with those blue eyes. Today they were ringed with red and dark circles swam underneath them.

"I'm not letting you leave on some hare-brained scheme to save me, Nate. No way. I couldn't do this without you, and it's too dangerous outside." Sylvia dabbed at the corners of her mouth with a tissue and tried to hide it in her hand, but not before Nate saw the tissue was tinged with blood.

"You're kidding yourself if you think this is going to get better, Sylvia. I'm not going to sit by and watch you die." Like I did with mom and dad.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be glad to read it, KayTi, having enoyed the first draft. There are three other stories in my queue to read already, so it will be a week or so before I can get to it, if that's okay.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supraturtle
Member # 1518

- posted      Profile for supraturtle   Email supraturtle         Edit/Delete Post 
Same here, I hadn't hit you up yet. As TS says, that's 8.2k words and of course everything in life is a conspiracy against cuddling up and digging in. I'd give me 'till the weekend so don't dispair if I'm a little sluggish on the reply.
Send it, over.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
i feel a deep personal fondness for all the apocalyptic taco mix stories. Count me in!
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes please. I'd like to read it.
Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
You never have to ask me. I'm always willing to critique anything you write. Send it on over, and I'll get to it the next time I have a free momment.
Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Aww you guys are the best.

Sending now. I'd love love love crits back by about Dec 13 (next Thurs) - think you could swing that? Sooner is great too. I'm cool w/whatever kind of feedback you have. I am applying my skin thickener RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
KayTi, I like the opening. Nothing made me cringe. I would read more.

(Sadly, I'm swamped by finals right now and I can't volunteer to actually read more than what I have on my desk already.)

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.