Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Monster (Again)

Author Topic: Monster (Again)
baduizt
Member # 5804

- posted      Profile for baduizt   Email baduizt         Edit/Delete Post 
I started this story a long time ago, but due to other commitments (and selling an illustrated novel to CROSSING CHAOS enigmatic ink) I've only just finished it.

Ideas for where to send this would be great

Some of you looked at the first 13 before and asked to see more, so I'll send it out to you folks shortly. Anyone else . . . well, here it is:

Monster smells of lavender and cumin. She is cold, ice cold, as she ties Carrot to the legs of the workbench. Those things are bolted into the floor, so he’s not moving. And she looks rational, like she does this at breakfast every morning. Pours herself a glass of orange, the pulpy kind, and takes herself a bunch of hostages whilst waiting for the toast to brown.

She butters the toast with a machete.

Of course, we’re not hostages.

She puts the barrel of the gun against my temple and says, ‘Where’d you put it?’

Sweat pours down my face. She’s close enough to count the droplets; she knows I’m ****ting bricks. I can feel my face burn red. That’s the blood rushing to my brain, loaded with adrenaline.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Great, I have eagerly awaited this for months.

Congrats on the recent publishes BTW

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baduizt
Member # 5804

Thanks I've been working hard to meet quite a few deadlines at once. I hope you like this one as much as I enjoyed writing it!
Posts: 195 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
As always, edgy, clean, and compelling. I don't have time to crit, but good luck!
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baduizt
Member # 5804

Cheers, Anne
Shi Magadan
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for Shi Magadan   Email Shi Magadan         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done. I'd like to read it.
Posts: 81 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Ruyle
Member # 5943

- posted      Profile for Jon Ruyle   Email Jon Ruyle         Edit/Delete Post 
Just the tiniest of nits:
Do you mean "bolted to the floor, so she's not moving"?
(You wrote "so he's not moving"... you don't mean the floor isn't moving, do you? )

Posts: 101 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baduizt
Member # 5804

No, I meant Carrot's been tied to the legs of the workbench, and the workbench is bolted to the floor, so he (Carrot) isn't moving. Does that make sense?

Adam
xxx

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.