Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » A Plague of Girls

Author Topic: A Plague of Girls
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Revised version in later post.

Pop wanted two boys at least, no other genders need apply. He was the product of three consecutive girl-free generations, each having at least two boys, the exemplar comprising five boys living at least to the age of twelve. I was the firstborn of Pop's progeny, but clearly insufficient to bear the weight of the patriarchal line; more boys were needed to pad the generational safety margin.

Perhaps too anxious to win the progeny award, Pop brooked a plague of girls, stairstepped with risers of fire and treads of brimstone: Rebekah, Esther, Miriam, Hannah, Sarah and Martha. Pop was a Christmas Eve and Easter church-goer; Mom banked on him not knowing these were biblical names. Six girls in six years. I know how to change a diaper, I tell you.

[This message has been edited by WouldBe (edited August 13, 2008).]

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C L Lynn
Member # 8007

- posted      Profile for C L Lynn   Email C L Lynn         Edit/Delete Post 
"Whoa! What?" is my first reaction. The language is stimulating - perhaps too stimulating. Despite this, the info presented in the first paragraph is rather dull. Likely, a run-down on the narrator's paternity is necessary to the story, but should you open with it? Hmm ...

The second paragraph presented issues as well. What the heck does "stairstepped with risers of fire and treads of brimstone" mean? And after reading about all the girls Pop has begotten, the opening sentence no longer makes sense. My first impression was that Pop was resorting to *hiring* sons. Though you probably intend for readers to read the opening line with tongue in cheek, it was misleading for me.

Your voice is consistently humorous, however. I love a tale rife with irony ("Six girls in six years" - teehee), but, I hate to say it, I'm not certain I'm intrigued enough to turn the page.

Posts: 226 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
It wouldbe good to have the hook. So far, you've got the setup well established, but we need a hint on genre and on action to come.

Maybe you should re-write the whole thing a few times? Then we can pick and choose.

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Humm. I keep being the minority. I liked the narrator and that was enough for me to wonder about the next line. So, you've hooked at least me. All right, I know it's a dubious prize at best but . . .

Most of my comments are nits or clean up:

quote:
Pop wanted two boys at least, no other genders need apply. Great first line. The only hitch was I was expecting the MC to be a girl. He was the product of three consecutive girl-free generations, each having at least two boys, the exemplar comprising five boys living at least to the age of twelve. while you might cut part of this, I'd be afraid of losing the voice if you did I was the firstborn of Pop's progeny, but clearly insufficient to bear the weight of the patriarchal line; more boys were needed to pad the generational safety margin. ah, it's a boy!

Perhaps too anxious to win the progeny award, Pop brooked a plague of girls, stairstepped with risers of fire and treads of brimstone Hu? the stairstepped section is making me think to hard about what you are trying to say. I'm not sure if the plauge is "stairstepped" because of the biblical names or something else : Rebekah, Esther, Miriam, Hannah, Sarah and Martha. Pop was a Christmas Eve and Easter church-goer Nice description ; Mom banked on him not knowing these were biblical names. Six girls in six years. I know how to change a diaper, I tell you. LOL

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Did I mention that Deborah is a Biblical name?
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

Thanks for the comments; they're very helpful. Regarding the stairstep thing: you've seen a Mom with a brood of kids, each a head taller than the next. They're stairstepped...about a year apart. You probably knew that but wondered what I meant by the risers/fire and treads/brimstone bit. Mostly, it sounded good to me. The vertical pieces of a stairway are risers and the horizontal pieces are treads, and since this is a hellish plague upon the dad....

If this piece is speculative at all it will only be because the girls are all strange and mystical, befitting their names. Their doting brother tells each girl's tale in chapter form (which of course are intertwined), beginning immediately after the opening you read.

So...does 'strange and mystical girl' rise to the level of 'speculative,' or is this a dirty-rotten-stinking literary piece?

Right now, some of the girls' names are placeholders, so Deborah might make it in if she's a good biblical girl, and maybe more so if bad.

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C L Lynn
Member # 8007

- posted      Profile for C L Lynn   Email C L Lynn         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Deborah the woman who killed a bad guy by putting a tent stake through his eye?

But why does "strange and mystical" apply to women in the Bible? As a frequent reader of the Bible, I must say that there's nothing at all strange or mystical about any of the names you've decided to use.

[This message has been edited by C L Lynn (edited August 13, 2008).]

Wow, I stand corrected. Deborah led the army, but it was another woman who brandished the tent peg. (And it was the dude's temple she drove it through, not the eye.) Check out Judges 4-5.

[This message has been edited by C L Lynn (edited August 13, 2008).]

Posts: 226 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

The characters *in my story* are strange and mystical...befitting their names. There is only very light comparison to the biblical characters to give some texture to the story, if it were finished .

But I don't think 'strange and mystical' is pejorative for the biblical characters. Clearly, many of them were mystical. One's a prophetess, one is mater dei, one is mother of two nations, one is mother of John the Baptist. Several of them had conversations with God. "Strange" doesn't only mean "oddball"; it also means "unusual" or "different." What is different from me is strange to me.

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a little informative, but not nescessarily bad. I like the whimsical style of narration. I feel that there should just be a more compelling speculative element to anchor my interest.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

Here is a trial new version (which I'm sure is not too long if blank lines are removed).

Pop wanted two boys at least, no other genders need apply. Three foregoing proud, girl-free generations forged this blueprint into his DNA. I was Pop's firstborn and had the correct gender, but more boys were needed to pad the patriarchal safety margin.

Pop pressed the matter too urgently, thereby unleashing a plague of girls upon him, stairstepped a year apart. Pop was a Christmas Eve and Easter church-goer and didn't notice the portent of Mom's chosen names: Rebekah, Esther, Miriam, Hannah, Sarah and Martha. Six girls in six years. I know how to change a diaper, I tell you. Pop wondered if he'd have his progeny. I wondered if my sisters' maelstrom would consume their doting brother.

[This message has been edited by WouldBe (edited August 13, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited August 13, 2008).]

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a tough one! I like aspects of both versions. I prefer the first paragraph of the first version and the second paragraph of the revision, but not combined. Maybe you can give and take from parts of each.

1st v. - 1st p.

quote:
the exemplar comprising five boys living at least to the age of twelve.

- This line confused me - you suggest some didn't live past 12 - is this important? I thought the rest of the paragraph was perfect.

I liked the revised second paragraph after "thereby unleashing a plague of girls upon him,..." - I thought in the first version, when you used the word "brooked," it was a stronger word and it created a sense of irony. Also the revised second paragraph didn't seem to have as fluid of a transition from the first paragraph.

I also love your idea of using each paragraph to tell about one of the sisters. Maybe you can tell of each one's life and then end with the narrator - just a thought.

I'd definitely keep reading (but I like literary works).

Oh, by the way - Deborah was the one and only female Judge in the history of Israel. This was a position that was a cross between a warrior, a prophet and a king back when Irael was a theocracy (more so than when they eventually did get a king - Saul and then David). She stepped up when all of the men were wusses and wouldn't take charge. She was a real bad@$$.

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited August 14, 2008).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

Kathleen, if you paste in what you left of my post, you'll see that you trimmed it to 11 lines.

Further info after experimentation:
On IE7, the lines are *one* character shorter than Firefox. But that's enough to cause a couple of earlier word wraps, pushing the paragraph one line longer. Sheesh.

Example, on the first line, 'three' is word-wrapped by IE7, but not by FF. If I delete one letter in 'Three', it is not word-wrapped in IE. IE7's line length in the msg box appears to be 63 characters, which seems odd, no pun intended. So use FF?

[This message has been edited by WouldBe (edited August 14, 2008).]

debhoag
Member # 5493

See? See?
WouldBe
Member # 5682

philocinemas, thanks for your comments and suggestions. I may very well pick and choose from the two versions.

BTW, I had picked about a dozen women, with the intent of selecting 6, depending on how the story panned out (i.e., no planning required). These included: Elizabeth, Esther, Pilate's wife (called Claudia by some), Salome, Eunice, Miriam, Rebekah, Deborah, Ruth, Rachel, Lydia and Sarah. So far, the narrator is anonymous.

WouldBe
Member # 5682

Howdy, thanks for all the comments. I have a complete draft of 5000 words if anyone is interested in giving it a read.

--Bill

alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
I will read. Send it along.
Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.