Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Same Old Same New (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Same Old Same New
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
HSO, I'm up for it if you don't mind.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if any of us will use the same interpretations? I might have been a bit ambitious with mine because I'm stuck in the middle. I can understand my character, but I don't know enough about his profession to write about it, so I have to research. Bummer. Actually I love research, but not in the heat of a writing spree. Aargh. Ah well, hopefully mine will be posted in the next couple days.
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

Well, that was faster than I thought. I posted the beginning under F&F, called "Or My Name's Not Big Bob", let me know what you think or if you want to read it. I kind of hope this character isn't true to life actually. Just let me know if what he does is TOO implausible, but I'm aware that it is an exaggerated stereotype. Thanks!
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Gavin, you'll need to put an email address in your profile if you want anyone to contact and send stories to you.

Everyone, maybe we should just stick with email requests for the stories we've written, rather than requesting in this topic.

Additionally, in my case, be sure to put "hatrack" in your email subject so it will always bypass my spam filter. In fact, that's a good idea for all email communications between all of us here on Hatrack -- it makes it really easy to see where an email is coming from if we don't recognize an address.

Just a thought.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Good thought, HSO. I'll edit the Rewrite rules to include that.

And yes, as HSO says, please make requests for reads by emailing the submitter directly through their email link.

Thanks.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
So, what happens once we all submit our brilliant ;-) work? Do we just stop? Are we going to talk and/or bicker about each others interpretations? Have a cyber awards ball? Paint our bottoms blue and pretend to be British?

What?

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

Since I live in London, that last suggestion doesn't sound like it would be all that thrilling: I can do that every night!

No, if we are to pretend to be British, then our best and wisest course of action would be to head down to the pub for a few pints -- or sodas if you don't drink -- to celebrate. Then, it would be off to the curry house (Indian restaurant) for a Vindaloo (if you're game for something hot and spicy), and then out to a different pub or seven; eventually staggering in sometime before midnight, because most pubs close around 11pm. That is, of course, if you survived the Tube ride home... or the curry.

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm dying to read the stories that are posted, but I feel like I want to get mine written first.

HSO, what's with the billboards in London that say, "Butter my bottom and call me a bisuit?" I love the phrase and have no idea what it means.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

I don't know, Mary. I haven't noticed them, but I'll ask my wife in the morning. She's English: she'll know. Maybe. If she doesn't, I'll ask my friend Alex if he knows. We'll solve this mystery for you somehow.

Strangely, biscuits are the equivalent of American cookies, but they can also be a type of cracker. And a common thing to do here is butter your crackers (biscuits) when having cheese and crackers. I suspect the ad is referring to that much, but as for its true meaning: no idea.

Anyway, I also suspect that many people are holding out on reading others' stories until they've first written their own. That could be one explanation for the few requests I've received...

djvdakota
Member # 2002

I, personally, am waiting to finish mine before I request others'. I don't want mine to be influenced by yours and it's kinda like a big buildup to the end of the month, ya know? I imagine that by August 31st we'll all have a great many requests. I hope.

To answer your question, mikemunsill, at the end of the month, once everyone has submitted, I'm planning on starting a thread on Open Discussions for everyone to talk about what we've accomplished and for non-participating readers to let us know what they thought. We can chat for a while, then hit the pubs (or ice cream parlors here in Utah where we get fat instead of drunk) to celebrate.

HSO
Member # 2056

One thing I miss about Utah -- other than the beautiful Wasatch Mountains -- is pizza parlors that offer Ranch dressing as a dipping sauce for your pizza. Most everywhere else in the world, it is unheard of and/or scoffed at.

I've done my best to be a proper missionary: I've converted many a soul to the wonders of Ranch on pizza... I fear this will be a life-long mission.

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited August 10, 2004).]

djvdakota
Member # 2002

YUP!! Ranch on Pizza. But then that only reiterates my point about getting fat instead of drunk, doesn't it?
HSO
Member # 2056

I'm fairly thin-framed, eat healthily 95% of the time, and still my wife insists I go to the gym 3x a week, at least 20 mins of cardio each time (bah!), so that I may live a long and happy life with a strong heart. Thus, I do not feel guilty about a little ranch on my pizza. Bring it on!
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read all the 13-line openers and can't wait to read the stories. I've also decided to wait until mine is written before I take a read.

This sure is fun and really quite challenging.

I don't know about monthly re-writes but every couple of months this would be a good exercise. Re-write one month, discussion the following month.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

I'm certainly game for more rewrites in future. We've certainly had a lot of people interested.

And to HSO:

Ah, to be thin framed. Alas, after three babies and genetics against me, I've put on some extra padding that DOES NOT wish to leave me. I try. How I try. I'm fit--I bike, I lift, I hike, I walk. I TRY to eat right. But my fat loves me too much. So I still have to feel guilty over that ranch on my pizza.

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
In a month or so, I wonder if editors are going to be saying, "Where did all these billy goats gruff stories come from?"
HSO
Member # 2056

I think we should self-edit and self-publish our own stories in a collection of some sort. "We don't need no stinkin' publishers!"

Dakota: Unfortunately, childbearing can and often does change a woman's metabolism and body such as you described. Coupled with the fact that women do store fat more easily than men (for the reason of having children) as you suggested [genetics], it's often unavoidable to put on extra weight. You're body is readying itself for a fourth, I suspect. But rest assured in the knowledge that you've had 3 miracles...

Well, depending on one's perspective, miracles may be the wrong word.

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited August 12, 2004).]

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

I call my brother's kids, Birthcontrol 1, 2 and 3.
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
On the "butter my bottom and call me a biscuit" subject, there's a vague explanation here. It revolves around marketing executives, so it isn't really possible for us mortals to comprehend exactly what they were thinking, but it gives the general idea...

http://www.brandrepublic.com/digitalbulletin/news_story.cfm?articleID=212234&Origin=DB28052004

And I've got to ask now ... what _is_ Ranch dressing?

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Jules

That's when Texas corporate executives butter their buttocks with a particular type of salad dressing, mistakenly thinking that it will make them more palatable to each other as they proceed on their interminable rounds of butt-kissing. At their self-congratulatory rodeos (Vietnam vets insert the appropriate pithy phrase here) they can even end up in a daisy-chain with their heads all inserted and all loudly proclaiming that they can see light at the end of the tunnel.

Unfortunately, that behavior has also spread to the rest of corporate America.

HSO
Member # 2056

ranch dressing is a salad dressing/cream usually made with buttermilk, oil, pepper, garlic, onion, and a few choice herbs and such... plus stabilizers and perservatives, probably. Go organic if you can...

In the UK, I've only found one maker of ranch, and that's Cardini's -- it even has a little US flag on it. Sainsbury's carries it.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if self-publishing is the way to go, but I've been thinking about a collection too. It would be neat to put out a Hatrack Re-write Collection. Because of the number of contributors it probably wouldn't be profitable, but it would be fun
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
As to getting fat, a number of years ago, I quit drinking. A couple of years ago, I quit smoking. These two things caused me to gain 50 pounds. Now I'm on this diet that caused me to quit eating.

I fear what I will have to quit next.

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

baaaaaaah!
djvdakota
Member # 2002

Another little miracle? Bite your tongue!

Actually, I would have had six or seven little miracles by now. Unfortunately, my body not only doesn't know how to lose weight, it also doesn't know how to have a healthy pregnancy. I was in bed for a month with # 3. A number four could mean the end of me. Literally.

Ah, well. I can enjoy the three I have with greater energy.

I think the anthology thing is a GREAT idea.

HSO
Member # 2056

So let's focus on a hatrack anthology, then. All we truly need is our own webspace to host it. I can certainly help with any HTML formatting if need be, and I'd be glad to do so, time permitting.

Sure, it's not being published, but it's worthwhile, in my opinion. You'll be able to link your family and friends to your story -- those that have internet access, that is; most probably do these days. [How much has changed in ten years? Makes me think back to when I first read Ender's Game in '90 and I thought: Wow, what a novel concept OSC has come up with... little did I know then that it was already happening. Now look at us? We're nearly there, if not already.]

Basically, there's no reason why we can't compile our stories into some sort of website if everyone agrees. 'Course that could be the hard part... but let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
The anthology idea sounds cool. Count me in.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

An anthology sound good to me, but I think we'd better be sure to check with the powers that be before we put "Hatrack" on anything!

[Earth to Kathleen! Earth to Kathleen! Houston calling!]

That said, I have a largely unused website parked at www.munsil.net that I'll offer up, complete with a forum. We can either modify the index page completely, or put a link to the anthology on that page, as people want, OR if nobody wants to do that, I'll pay for a year for a hosted site, if other folks will compensate me with website maintenance, continued good humor, advice and or salacious stories...

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited August 12, 2004).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't I say somewhere that I was out of town and would be a while catching up on stuff?

Anyway, I'd have to check with OSC about you all using the Hatrack name--it's the name of his publishing company, and I don't think he'd appreciate you doing any publishing in its name without his permission.

You could call it a writers workshop publication, if you like. I think that's generic enough not to be a problem.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

hehehe

figured that would get her attention

that works for me

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

OK, we have 8 now. Any more out there?

Guess we'll just have to wait till the 31st, then. Next time, maybe we'll just give ourselves 2 weeks?

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps I'll catch the next one, I'm a little pressed at the moment. (or if I find the time I'll get on this one.)
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Regarding my story for the rewrite challenge, it needs major rework, and I wil do that, and here is the background that I will be working from. A mini-worldbuilding exercise, if you will.

quote:

The story is set in Bridgetown, which is reached by taking the 3rd way off a major bridge located near a mid-sized human town, somewhere in the countryside. That is, in a world sideways to ours. The occupants of Bridgetown are just your ordinary fantastical creatures, trolls, wereanimals, vampires, etc. who are mostly active at night, and sleep during the day. Although, they have their own who prefer daylight, their daywalkers are strictly in the minority. Also, the inhabitants of Bridgetown are not averse to plying their wares and services, and slaking their appetites, on each other, as the occasion suits their individual temperaments.

The Gruff family includes Billie, a late teenage adrenaline-addicted female who makes money as a gravedigger, her older brother Willy, by occupation a 'perverse' strangler, and their oldest brother William, a bartender and poisoner. None of which makes them fantastical creatures, except that their family also runs to weregoats. It's a family trait.

The bridge is very important, because it is the only 'official' path from their world to ours, and they cannot exist without the trade (mostly in services and exotics) with humans, and of course, the occasional snack or two of human flesh that some of the more 'savage' were indulge in. There are other paths, but they are smuggler's routes and are dangerous, difficult, and what is worse, expensive routes to and from the human world.

At the start of the story, Willie has been approached by a stranger while sitting in the Gruff family bar, indulging in a mid-morning quaff of brew before hitting the sack. The stranger has heard that the Bridge is temporarily closed and the Gruffs had something to do with it, and wanted to know the whole story. Willy has yet once again been sucked into trying to clear up one of Billie's messes, and eventual William is drawn into the fray to defend the family name. No one EVER wants William involved, as his solutions tend to be somewhat drastic, and in any case, he's the bartender at the most popular bar in town, not to mention a poisoner. Wisest to stay on his good side.

Now, once I figure out how to get all that worked in, the story will read better.

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited August 21, 2004).]

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

That's some interesting background. I think it would definitely help flesh out your story. The original was pretty short so you have plenty of room to build within the 3000 words.

Good luck. Let us know when you have it ready, I'd enjoy seeing how it comes together.

djvdakota
Member # 2002

Sounds interesting, Mike. Can't wait to read it! ONLY EIGHT MORE DAYS, EVERYONE!!

One thing that stuck in my craw was that they keep trade routes open with the humans but still snack on them occasionally. So why don't the humans all cut off trade with these horrid creatures who are using them for their steaks and chops and ground...well, ground human, I suppose? Doesn't seem all that smart, let alone good business, to me. Maybe if there were a few unscrupulous humans who managed the trade with this world and maybe even provided the odd tasty morsel for the beasts? I just don't think I buy that these things leave their world for trade--hunting, sure, at night, under cover.

Geez, I'm rambling. But I guess the picture I'm getting from your outline is that these critters head on out to the human world on market day to sell their wares. And it doesn't seem to put any kind of damper on that activity when they creatures once in a while bung off with a tender juicy child or two once in a while.

I'm sure that's not what you intended--so hard to tell from outlines. But just in case it was a hole you hadn't noticed, I thought I'd put in my totally worthless half-pence.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

quote:
HSO, what's with the billboards in London that say, "Butter my bottom and call me a bisuit?" I love the phrase and have no idea what it means.

I was just reading back through the thread and came upon this. I didn't think much of it at the time but my interpretation would be that it is an exclaimation of disbelief like:

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle.
    Hog tie me to the correction line.
    Well I'll be gosh darned.

Something like that anyways.
-----
Mikemunsil,

Would it only be the were-animals who participate in commerce between the two worlds as they can pass for human? This could also be great hunting stratgy, however, I'm not sure how much of that will play into your story.

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited August 23, 2004).]

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

djvdakota

quote:
One thing that stuck in my craw was that they keep trade routes open with the humans but still snack on them occasionally. So why don't the humans all cut off trade with these horrid creatures who are using them for their steaks and chops and ground...well, ground human, I suppose? Doesn't seem all that smart, let alone good business, to me. Maybe if there were a few unscrupulous humans who managed the trade with this world and maybe even provided the odd tasty morsel for the beasts? I just don't think I buy that these things leave their world for trade--hunting, sure, at night, under cover.

I figured that mostly human appearing Bridgetowners used the trading route (main bridge) to trade and sell their skills. But, as among us, there are also predators, and they sneak across when they can, to prey upon the humans. This gives rise to the human tales of werewolves, etc. The Bridgetowners know about the 3rd way onto and off the bridge, but keep it secret, as that way they can collect all the tolls. The only humans that cross are those who wander over by accident, which is a one-way trip. The troll is there to enforce the bridge policies, and act as backup to the dreaded 'accountants' (a distinct and unsavory subspecies) as they collect the tolls.

Robyn_Hood

quote:
Would it only be the were-animals who participate in commerce between the two worlds as they can pass for human? This could also be great hunting stratgy, however, I'm not sure how much of that will play into your story.

No, I figure that the humans that wandered over and stayed, also trade. And I thought that some obviously non-humans would also cross, but not at the main bridge, which is patrolled and taxed. I hadn’t intended for the predation to play a part in this story, but it will in future stories set in this mini-verse.

All

You are hereby invited to ‘play’ in Bridgetown, if you so desire.

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited August 24, 2004).]

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Okay, so I drive through Crazy, take a left at the first stop sign, drive for about a mile or so and then take another left which should bring me to the bridge into Bridgeland? Or is two rights and then a left... Better stop and ask for directions up at that gas station. My, they sure do have some big dogs around these parts...
djvdakota
Member # 2002

Wow, Mike. This sounds great!

And huge!

How hard is it shaping up to be to keep this under 3000 words?

Phew! I'm sweating for you!

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

LOL

Anybody who has suffered through reading some of my 'writing' knows that too many words is the LAST thing I need to worry about. Unless it's a prologue, of course.

I will find a way, because, I have a Hatrack Utility Belt!!

djvdakota
Member # 2002

COUNTDOWN TIME, EVERYONE!!!

ONLY SEVEN MORE DAYS!!

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Yay! I'm looking forward to discussing some of the different takes on this story. We definitely need to do this again.
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

Does this mean that those of us who submitted our stories need to have them revised by then? I am changing the ending of "Big Bob" a bit, and doing some other changes as well. I'd hate to have y'all judge it just by the first version, because I think the second one will be much better. (You can tell by the future tense that I'm not done yet.) Also, will we then re-post, or put them on the other site, or what?
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

For those who are doing revisions, you could probably revise your original post. At the top you could make a note, something like:

AN UPDATED VERSION OF THIS STORY IS AVAILABLE

Revisions should probably be completed as close to the deadline as possible. If it takes a couple of days longer it won't be the end of the world, as long as we have a version to begin discussion.

What does everyone else think?

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

I think that sounds like a good plan.
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Lead the way, Robyn Hood, and your merry men will follow you.
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
Mention was made earlier of self-publishing an anthology of our rewrites on the web.

If someone is planning on trying to publish their story, or expanding their work into a longer, possibly novel-length work, should that one offer their tale for inclusion into the anthology?

I know at least one person indicated their story was the beginning of their WIP, and I have some ideas for expanding mine.

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

ONLY TWO MORE DAYS, PEOPLE!!!

Yes, I think all revisions should be finished by the 31st, because some of us (me for one) might be more interested in moving on to another challenge rather than spending another MINUTE revising this one. But we'll have to make it clearer in future challenge rules that stories and revisions will be due by the deadline.

(My sister gave me a great idea for a new challenge--I'll reveal it in later discussions.) Or would that make me an unreliable narrator?

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

I also have had a few ideas for another challenge but I figured they could wait until after discussion has more or less wrapped-up on this one.

About the anthology... I Like the idea but I've had a few thoughts about possibly submitting mine to a few markets. I guess those who want to could opt out. If we're even thinking about doing it still

djvdakota
Member # 2002

TICK, TICK, TICK, TICK!!!

(I wish I could make the letters bigger)

ONE MORE DAY!!!!

I'll plan on opening the discussion area tomorrow evening or Wednesday morning.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.