Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2010 Q03 -- Early Submissions (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2010 Q03 -- Early Submissions
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm ready for any first drafts now, too. But mine is not quite ready for prime time yet.
8)
leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
After 3-4 months of catching every bug and virus around and suffering general letheragy during which even writing a few sentances was difficult--and getting my internet connection problems sorted out--I'm excited to get back into this and get critiquing again. I've got a story on the brink of being finished and am happy to start taking stories for critique as soon as they are ready, so send them my way.

WriterDan
Kitti
genevive42
shimiqua
Dark Warrior
Sunshine
Axeminister
Sholar
Satate
LAJD
alliedfive
darklight

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
I too am ready if anyone is done.
Especially being good Friday. I will have nothing to do in my eight hour work day today. =)

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got my story finished. It seems early but it was my story from last quarter so it's actually late. I'll send it to those who said they were ready. Anyone else?
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
My story is moving like molasses in January. Hopefully I'll be able to apply some non-tired BIC this week and move it along.

I feel pretty good about my story but it is something different for me. It hasn't grabbed me by the collar and dragged me along. It seems to be a more cerebral exercise than an emotional one. I hope it works.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Only one way to find out. Get that first draft out! Woo-hoo!
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Finished my Q03 entry first draft. Its at about 6500 words.

I'm doing about six seperate editing passes before sending out though.

I want to make sure the science and terminology for the world is consistent and give some deeper voices to my different characters.

Also want to take a closer look at my beats and tags.

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to try and get a draft together by the 14th.

WriterDan
Kitti
genevive42
shimiqua
Dark Warrior
Sunshine
Axeminister
Sholar
Satate
LAJD
alliedfive
darklight
Owasm

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited April 07, 2010).]

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Finally sat down and got some story out. 3k last night, which was pretty average pace. Looks like this one might end up pushing the 68 page limit though. My 10-11k stories hover around 50-55 pages, and I'm thinking this story might hit 14k. Ugh. What to do? Nothing but write it and see how it comes out.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sholar
Member # 3280

- posted      Profile for sholar   Email sholar         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! I have received and edited one story. The other I received I am holding off on for some last minute edits per writer's request. If anyone else has sent me their story, I didn't get it so send again. If Sarah hasn't gotten my comments, please let me know so I can resend them.

I sent my story out to everyone. I expect that no one will edit it for at least a week, but I needed to get it out so I would stop obsessing over it and work on something else for a bit.

Posts: 303 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Got it Sholar...thanks! I will be taking a look at it this week and try to get it back to you before the rest of them start flowing in.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

I just got it tonight. Thanks Sholar, I was in the middle of responding when my husband interupted me and talked me into playing a video game with him.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sholar
Member # 3280

No hurry on reading it. I just need to work on other stuff and sending it out makes me stop obsessing over it. I am also a little neurotic about checking e-mail. hotmail account e-mails tend to end in spam folders a lot. At some point, I am going to switch to my gmail account for hatrack, but then I need to reregister and all that. I don't want to be a noob again.
Posts: 303 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, you're only a noob for 9 posts, and you can do that in one day, can't you, sholar?

The real problem as I see it is that you also need to pick another username (unless you want me to delete your old registration--which I can do--and then your old username will be available again).

Email me if you want to do something like that, so we can co-ordinate.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sholar
Member # 3280

I'll switch to my real name (TamesonYip) as a user name. So no need to delete the account.

[This message has been edited by sholar (edited April 12, 2010).]

genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be a little late getting my story out, but it is finally moving forward. Hopefully it'll be done in a week or so.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, today's the day.

I've been working diligently on my story and it's nearly ready to send out. It's finished, but I got back an early crit which I'm working the ideas/revisions into the MS.

Thus, it will be a few more days for me.

Tami/Scholar was nice enough to send her story to everyone in one e-mail so when the time comes I'll just hit reply all and out it goes.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

Phew! Finished. First Draft needs some input.

I'm ready to review. Who else is?

Owasm

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

I'm ready to do any crits. I sent out my draft a little bit ago to those who said they were ready.
axeminister
Member # 8991

Owasm, from what I understand, today is "Ready or not, here I come" day.
Unless I'm wrong - just send it to the list.

Axe

sholar
Member # 3280

I am anxiously awaiting more stories to review.
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm ready to crit as well.
Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

You got it, Axe. Everyone in the group is up for giving crits now.
So, anyone that has a first draft...send it out!

My story won't be done for another week or two. School's been pouring on the heat lately. Anyhow, it's coming.

recovering_cynic
Member # 8964

- posted      Profile for recovering_cynic   Email recovering_cynic         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone! Put me on your lists for crits. My story won't be ready at best until Sunday, April 18th (just started writing it last night but I have it all outlined), but I'll look at your stories now. I'm good at playing catch-up

The list stands now as:

WriterDan
Kitti
genevive42
shimiqua
Dark Warrior
Sunshine
Axeminister
Sholar
Satate
LAJD
alliedfive
darklight
Owasm
recovering_cynic

[This message has been edited by recovering_cynic (edited April 16, 2010).]

Posts: 32 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sholar
Member # 3280

Aw, recovering cynic, now hitting reply all to my e-mail won't get everyone. ;-) Send me yours as soon as your ready.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

So, I'm going to propose something at this point because I'm kind of hesitant about having to crit 13 stories in the next few weeks. Especially if very many of those are long ones.

We currently have 14 people in the group. I'd like to split up into two groups of 7 each for the first round of crits. Then when the second round comes along, we can switch the groups up. This way, there are fewer crits to give in each instance, and it allows for new readers on the second round of crits.

Thus, here's my suggestion on the split up:

Group 1:
WriterDan
genevive42
Dark Warrior
Axeminister
Satate
alliedfive
Owasm

Group 2:
Kitti
shimiqua
Sunshine
Sholar
LAJD
darklight
recovering_cynic

If anyone has major reservations about this, please voice your concern. I'm thinking that for round 2, we'll swap 4 people from each group to the other one. That way, there will be 3-4 NEW crits for each author's story. We'll be able to see if the things that the first readers mentioned as problems are "fixed" by what the new readers say.

If anyone is starving for more stories to crit, you're welcome to offer your services to those not in your group anytime you wish. I just wanted to make the requirements for being in the Hatrack WotF group a little less daunting AND also allow for new eyes during the second round of crits.

Hope this is okay with everyone. Luck with your stories.

sholar
Member # 3280

Well, I have already done 2 crits for people in group one and been critted by 2 from group one as well (one person overlaps). I am good with doing more crits and getting the two extra crits, but that could be a concern if others have similar numbers like that. Oh, if alliedfive wants a crit from me, I would be happy to do it (since he has already crited mine). Right now, I am in between everything and have a bit of time and have no crits waiting. Of course, if I get 10 68 page stories, I will regret saying that.

ETA- just to clarify- I don't have any problem with the split setup. I got extra crits from the system and I don't mind giving crits at all, so I am very happy.

[This message has been edited by sholar (edited April 16, 2010).]

genevive42
Member # 8714

The split group sounds like a good idea. I'm in.
recovering_cynic
Member # 8964

- posted      Profile for recovering_cynic   Email recovering_cynic         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it, especially since I already critted sholar and he's in my group
Posts: 32 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

13 crits may be too many to handle anyway.

I'm all for it.

Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a plan. Also, it's nice to mix things up a little, so those of us who keep submitting quarter after quarter don't get too familiar with each other's works and become slacker critiquers :-) .
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Who's slackin' on their critiques?

Where's my whip?

8)

Glad everyone's in agreement. Now get back to writing! I know I need to...

sholar
Member # 3280

I need more people to send me crits. I have critted everything I have received. So, if you haven't gotten a crit back from me, that means I didn't get it.
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
TamesonYip=sholar. This has my gmail account, if you have had any problems with my hotmail.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
recovering_cynic
Member # 8964

First draft sent out to group two
LAJD
Member # 8070

I got my first draft sent out to Group 2. I'm out of the country and the email is a bit flaky so let me know if you do not get it. It may come from a gmail account.
Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

OK, I think I have now critted everything that was sent to me/scratch that/ I have received so far. If I have not responded to you and you sent some thing to me leslie@atfore.com, please let me know.

I have been traveling and email has been flaky.

axeminister
Member # 8991

I'm still waiting for

WriterDan
Genevive42

Let me know if you sent to me and I missed it.

Axe

TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
I currently have nothing to crit, so anyone in either group who wants a crit can send to me. I can't believe I have done everyone's in my group, but I am too lazy to go figure out whose I have read and haven't.

-sholar

[This message has been edited by TamesonYip (edited April 26, 2010).]

Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

I have four more scenes to write and then of course, a polishing run. I really hope to have mine out by the end of the week.
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
My story has been ready to send out for two weeks. I keep putting it off and I don't know why. Maybe its because while I was writing it, I thought it was great but now it's finished, I think it's utter rubbish.

But I promise to get it out to Group 2 in the next day or two...

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Still banging away on mine. And the days are just packed.
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine just went out to Group 2, let me know if you didn't get it.
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Woohoo! Finished.

I'm going to sleep on it and give it a polishing run tomorrow night. I should be sending it out to Group 1 on Sunday.

TamesonYip
Member # 9072

Kitti, I got yours, I just got a cold and didn't do anything but sleep and then I had to catch up on all the stuff I didn't do because I was sick. I hopefully will get to it this weekend though. Monday at the latest.
genevive42
Member # 8714

First draft sent out to Group 1

Thanks all.

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Group 2:
Kitti
Sunshine
Sholar
LAJD
darklight
recovering_cynic

Sorry peeps, next time for sure.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

Just to confirm, we switch groups tomorrow with our 2nd drafts, correct?

Group one sends to group two and vice verse?

Axe

sholar
Member # 3280

My computer is sick so I may not get my story out until Monday. Though I am also doing a switchover on my internet Monday so if that doesn't go smoothly...

-TamesonYip (sholar)

genevive42
Member # 8714

I just sent my first draft out this past Sunday so obviously I'll be a little late to the second round.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.