Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2010 Q03 -- Early Submissions (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2010 Q03 -- Early Submissions
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm ready for any draft 2's from group two.
I'm hoping to send mine by Monday.

@Genevive, I'll have your crit out to you later today.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
axe, if you sent my crit, I haven't received it.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Erg. Sorry about that.
I got to writing the e-mail when work got insane then the weekend happened and I can't get much of anything longer than this post done at home.

I will have it to you today though, I promise.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
No worries axe. I just wanted to make sure it didn't get lost in cyberspace.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
I will be slow on critting, so feel free to send but don't expect a reply. We just had a death in the family and I will be traveling and also emotionally unable to do a good job. Sorry. My story will also be sent late (well, later than I planned).
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Sorry to hear that Tameson. Take care.
axeminister
Member # 8991

I'm sorry to hear as well.
Certainly don't let these critiques give you any additional stress. We're a patient bunch.

Axe

LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Group 2:
Kitti
Sunshine
Sholar
darklight
recovering_cynic

Sorry all, I've had a request for a full on my novel WIP (WOO HOO!!!) but you see, well, it's kind of a fluke, and I did not intend to actually pitch it yet since its not quite done. So, I'll be spending time working on that. That would be all my waking hours that is.
LOL. So I'm out. I will try to crit the work that I have from you guys so far. I think I have two outstanding.
Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sorry all, I've had a request for a full on my novel WIP

WOHOO!!

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Way to go Leslie!
axeminister
Member # 8991

I agree, way to go!

My 2nd draft is out to group two.
If you are not Tami, and you are in group two, and you didn't get my story, please let me know.

Wow... that was convoluted.

Axe

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Shhhhh...don't tell anyone but I am currently critting a future WOTF winner. I wont say which one it is because I dont want to jinx it or spoil the other critters fun but I am very impressed. Especially considering how good the others I have read were--this one just stands above.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

I've gotten all of my first draft crits back from Group 1 - thank you all. I hope to have my edits done in a week or so and will be sending out to Group 2 then.

I haven't received anything to crit from Group 2. If you've sent me anything, it hasn't reached me. You may want to try sending again.

Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone;

I realize I haven't said anything on this thread until now, but I just sent my WotF entry in 5/15/10. Not only is it my first time to enter, it's also my very first submission. So, since I'm entered as of last Saturday, I'm assuming I'll be considered part of the 3rd quarter? Is this right? I'm pretty green when it comes to this. Also, about how long does it take before you hear anything? I'm so ready for my first rejection. LOL

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Hi Crystal,

Congrats on your first submission. Yes, it would place you in the 3rd Quarter.

If you don't win with your first sub, consider joining the group for 4th Quarter. We trade stories and get everyone's input to help make our stories stronger. It is a great critique group. I have learned a lot and this is just my second quarter doing it. I love getting all of the different perspectives/opinions, good and bad. It helps me see my stories in ways I hadn't conceived. And repeated comments help me know for certain when I need to clarify or strengthen things.

Good luck to us all.

TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm back and ready to crit. I sent out my second draft- still lots of room for improvement. If anyone from crit2 wants another crit from me on their story, I would be willing to do that too.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

I'm wondering if the story I was impressed with is the same one Dark Warrior was. I guess we'll just have to wait for results to be announced.
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sending out my second draft right now. I wasn't sure how to do it since I sent my first draft out before the groups and I think it was to two in group 1 and two in group2. So I'm just sending it to everyone and if you've read it then don't feel like you have to read it twice.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Critting score card:

I've finished all crits received so far:

Anderson
Tameson (1st and 2nd)
Meredith(may not have been WOTF entry)
Genevive
Satate

I have a feeling I havent received all that I should have.

[This message has been edited by Dark Warrior (edited June 02, 2010).]

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

I mailed mine to you on 4/13/10 at 4:36

You posted a short time later that you were critting an amazing story.
Coincidence?

?

?

Uh... yeah. It was.

Axe

EDIT:
Actually, I have an idea. If you haven't received mine, perhaps you could take a look at my alternate story. I'd love to get a set of eyes on it.

[This message has been edited by axeminister (edited May 25, 2010).]

genevive42
Member # 8714

axe, if you need eyes on that alternate story, I'm willing. But you'd be about third on my list.
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

axe- you can be fourth on my list if you want me to look at it.
genevive42
Member # 8714

I hope to have my second draft out to Group 2 before the long weekend is up. I'm really hoping for Saturday night.

I stopped in the middle to tackle a short story for the Ladies of Trade Town anthology. It went well but delayed work on my second draft.

I'm mostly posting this to create a commitment for myself.

Have a fun long weekend if you get one!

axeminister
Member # 8991

Genevive and Tameson, I totally appreciate the offer.
I'll send it over when it's done, hopefully this weekend, and I'll be glad to have you take a look if your queue gets down to zero.

Axe

genevive42
Member # 8714

Okay, second draft is out to Group 2. Thanks everyone.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
As usual, I'm way behind the curve on writing my story. This quarter has been a killer for me. I did get another 1500 words written on my story this week but that's it. I am pretty sure that I've returned all the first-round crits. I've only received one second-round story so far though. I'm going on vacation this next week with the fam. So...yeah. Priority just has to be family and school right now. I'm still pushing for the real deadline though. So, no one give up on me, okay?
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

quote:
Genevive and Tameson, I totally appreciate the offer.
I'll send it over when it's done, hopefully this weekend, and I'll be glad to have you take a look if your queue gets down to zero.
Axe

Axe, sent you an email. I never recieved an attachment from you so please send it my way. I'll bump it to the top of the list. I only have one in queue right now anyway.

axeminister
Member # 8991

DW, I've been meaning to e-mail you about that.
I actually sent my first draft, then weeks later my 2nd one.
I can't help but think I'm going to the spam folder when I send an attachment.

It's cool though because I'm happy to have you read the new one. (13 lines are over in the SS F&F section, hint hint)

I just have to finish it...........

Axe

TamesonYip
Member # 9072

Right now I am working on satate's crit and that is the only one I have left to do. If you have sent me something and I haven't sent it back and aren't satate, then I didn't get it or thought I e-mailed you a crit and didn't (I did that last time for someone).
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

quote:
DW, I've been meaning to e-mail you about that.
I actually sent my first draft, then weeks later my 2nd one.
I can't help but think I'm going to the spam folder when I send an attachment.

I added you to contacts so that shouldnt happen again.

satate
Member # 8082

I didn't get your...

"If you have sent me something and I haven't sent it back and aren't satate"

Ohhh...

(Sorry I just couldn't help myself)

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
recovering_cynic
Member # 8964

- posted      Profile for recovering_cynic   Email recovering_cynic         Edit/Delete Post 
Sending mine out now. Sorry it's so late.
Posts: 32 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

Now, if you are satate or anyone else and still haven't gotten anything back from me, let me know.
satate
Member # 8082

Recovering Cynic, I tried to e-mail my critic but it failed. I got one of those mailerdaemon things. Did your e-mail change?
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

So, did anyone actually make the May mail in deadline? I am still working on mine- hopefully by the end of the week.
genevive42
Member # 8714

I didn't make the deadline. I'm still waitng for a couple of second draft crits back. But it's just been a little over a week since I sent it out.
genevive42
Member # 8714

We seem to have gone rather quiet. How is everyone doing?
axeminister
Member # 8991

Just mailed out my final crit. Yay!

How I'm doing:

I'm kinda bummed because I don't feel comfortable sending either of the stories I've worked on out this quarter.

My main issue is time. I just don't have the time I want or need to get either of them to the place I want them to be. Last thing I want to do is send something off with a silly typo, etc.

I still haven't heard about my previous quarter's entry.

Can someone tell/remind me how to e-mail Joni to see if mine was received? It may be in one of the other threads, but if someone has the e-mail address handy, that would be great.

I checked the website, but it was talking about the 2006 contest.

Axe

darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Try this axeminister: Contests@authorservicesinc.com

I'm not doing so well. I have to apologise to some of you that sent me a critique for not thanking you, and to anyone I owe a crit. Things have been pretty crazy here lately. First we had some upset a couple of weeks ago, then last week we had a storm, my roof started leaking and the ceiling in my daughter's bedroom came down. I've spent a week dealing with the insurance, waiting for phone calls and getting builders in. Needless to say, its been quite stressful and sleeping on the sofa with the dog hasn't helped either.

So I've not got a single thing done on my story and at this point, I'm not sure I'm going to get it in shape before the deadline. I'll just have to see how things go next week. Hope the rest of you are doing better.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

I am almost ready to send it in. I want to do one more read through aloud, hopefully catch the last few typos and get all the formatting perfect. Lately, I haven't had any time to myself though and for the final nitty gritty details I really need no 3 year old asking what you doing every few minutes. My husband had a big work presentation this afternoon, so he hasn't been much help, but hopefully this weekend he can take Bin for a few hours.
satate
Member # 8082

I'm like Axe, I don't feel comfortable sending out my story yet either. I'm not sure I'll have it where I want it in time.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

2400 more words done and only two more scenes left to go. Phew! Man, that felt good! Hoping I can get this story done tomorrow, along with a single draft pass-through and then be ready to send it out on Monday. Hope there are still people available to give me some help. I'm feeling pretty good about the story as is, and so I'm hoping that I won't have to do too much drafting. I guess the critiques will tell though. They always do.

I currently have two crits that I'm working on:
1) TamesonYip #2
2) Recovering_cynic #1

Going to try and get those out soon. Have you sent your story out yet Tameson? Would another crit from me help at this point? Will get to yours asap, RC. Quote me on that.

This quarter is not going to kill me. It will define me.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

I have not yet sent mine out and still need to do one more read through, so a crit could still be of use at this point, but if you don't have time, that's fine too.
recovering_cynic
Member # 8964

- posted      Profile for recovering_cynic   Email recovering_cynic         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry guys

I had surgery a week ago and it knocked me out. Still recovering. I'm not sure I'm submitting my story for this quarter either. I am not terribly happy with its quality and not sure it's polishable to the point where it has a chance of winning.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Just sent mine out. Woo-hoo! It's done. Now lets see how much I can get done on my Q04 entry before anything comes back. Maybe lots. If everyone's too busy. lol. Anyhow, glad to have finally made it to my goal for the quarter. If anyone didn't get it that would be willing to crit for me, drop me a line here or by email.
genevive42
Member # 8714

Has anyone gotten theirs in the mail yet? I'm hoping to have mine out no later than Wednesday.
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

I'm staring at mine, all edited (or so I believe) and just trying to get up the nerve to print it and say goodbye.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, everyone. I know I wasn't part of the group this quarter, but I'm in a bind. One of my two critiquers had to pull out (last night, in fact), so I'm lacking in sufficient feedback on my entry. Would any kindhearted person be willing to do a quick turnaround on my story? It's about 11,800 words, fantasy. Thanks in advance.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

I'm printing right now. I'll take it to the Post Office in the morning.

Pins and needles.

Good luck everyone!

genevive42
Member # 8714

It's officially on its way.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.