Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Updates to Hatrack Blogs (Page 3)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Updates to Hatrack Blogs
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
My new post What am I writing today? is up and running.
Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
My latest Prosers post is up. How I find ideas, with a special shoutout to Hatrack for the awesome story challenges.
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
The last post (finally!) in the series about romantic subplots. http://theprosers.blogspot.com/2012/02/romantic-subplots-part-5.html
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Added A WotF Winner

and Thus

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
How to work through novel induced weight gain, while keeping you butt-in-chair.

http://theprosers.blogspot.com/2012/02/how-to-lose-weightwithout-even-trying.html

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
New post on Prosers Learning to think like a writer
Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
New post. Something interesting when I posted my zombie short story on Smashwords.

http://www.guyantibes.com/2012/02/28/interest-in-freebie-spikes-downloads-at-smashwords/

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Why aren't my comments on the Prosers visible? It's the second one I can't find. Also, I don't get the Add Comment choice until I hit Reply to a single post.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

Martin, I have no idea. We'll have to look into that.

It has worked for you before. Has anything changed since then?

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

Maybe my Mozilla got updated to a more buggy version. I can send screenshots if that will help.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

Some great writing advice from Dr. Seuss
here.

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

MartinV--I spent a long, long time trying to find an invisible comment last week on Prosers. I wonder if it was yours. How funny! What did you say?
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
I've finally gotten around to having a website with a blog in it.
It is here:
A.A. Leil

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Osiris nice web site even though that slideshow goes by pretty fast. I don't know if you can allow each section to show longer or not but please do. I know there's only two but it's still hard to read that longer description.

The rest of it looked good,

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

There was one comment about science and fiction having similarities and differences. I think I put the comment on the love lambda in a reply instead of a comment.
Osiris
Member # 9196

quote:
Originally posted by LDWriter2:
that slideshow goes by pretty fast. I don't know if you can allow each section to show longer or not but please do.

Thanks LD, consider it done! Let me know how the new speed works for you.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

Why Middle Grade is Important.

http://theprosers.blogspot.com/2012/03/why-middle-grade-is-important.html

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Osiris Still took me two tries to read the blurb on the zombie story and my reading speed isn't slow. I don't know if anyone else would be bothered by that, most interneters might be used to higher speeds.

But I don't what else you might up if you want only sells on the slideshow but I think it would look better with three or four items.

But at the same time you may not have to wait long for the number to grow anyway.

MAP
Member # 8631

New post on Prosers. Logic versus intuition
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Been blogging a lot lately. And it looks like I may have lost a follower instead of getting more. I say may have because on the on the main page it now says one number but when I go to the page I can work on the blog it shows the another number.

Not sure if this is a repeat or not
Stone within

Music

The last one and this next one is me taking a break from writing about writing. Both posts are about music. A new album and a very interesting song I found by accident, one another group does. I love the way the other group does it, this group's version is interesting.

Music Two

This next one deals with Khoury's novel and a bit about what I'm going to be doing.
Their debut and

[ March 06, 2012, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

Osiris
Member # 9196

I have a new blog post about the moral implications of feeding children 'pink slime':

'Soylent Pink' is Pet Food!

quote:
Originally posted by LDWriter2:
Osiris Still took me two tries to read the blurb on the zombie story and my reading speed isn't slow.

Okay, I might slow it down a bit more. It isn't obvious (and I'm not sure how to make it without putting up some text that tells you), but if you hover the mouse pointer over the blurb, it stops the slideshow. You can also click the 'read more' button, the Stupefying Stories logo, or the title of the post to go to the post itself.
MartinV
Member # 5512

Sort of an important announcement...

Me Blog

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Niiice Martin but don't forget to thaw it out first, don;t want to freeze your muse.
MartinV
Member # 5512

Good one, LD.

As to my muse, she was raised north of the Wall in Westeros so she's used of the cold. In fact, a freezer might be warm to her. [Wink]

Unwritten
Member # 7960

Everything you've ever wondered about me, including my favorite weapon and my plans for the zombie apocalypse. PLUS an opportunity to play blog tag. Don't miss out!

http://theprosers.blogspot.com/2012/03/blog-tag-melanie-edition.html

MAP
Member # 8631

My new post on creating emotional resonance
Unwritten
Member # 7960

My (not quite formed) opinion about holding books marketed to young adults to a different standard than books marketed to adults:

http://theprosers.blogspot.com/2012/03/marketing-to-young-adults.html

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Finally got around to listing some new posts.

Not sure if number one is a repeat or not:

Spiders-snowboards

I update my reading and writing lists.
Number Two:

Another Update Thing

More on Suzanne Mcleod
And lastly:
McLeod

MAP
Member # 8631

New post on The Prosers, Antagonists: Depths and Motives
Osiris
Member # 9196

Two new posts introducing a couple of writing advice columns I've started on my blog:

The Ragged Road
Everything I Know About Writing I Learned From...

Lots more in the works, too. I should have some posts in the coming weeks that link to the Scientific American Guest Blog articles I've written. It all depends on when the editor can post them.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Osiris:
I should have some posts in the coming weeks that link to the Scientific American Guest Blog articles I've written. It all depends on when the editor can post them.

Well, I hope you do more than post those links on your blog. Please also post here when those Guest Blog articles go up.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

I wrote a book (with the critiquing help of a lot of you) several years ago. This is my post about polishing it up for publication:

http://theprosers.blogspot.com/2012/03/write-what-you-love.html

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Alas, the perils of self-publishing is coming back to bite me. After running out of the gate with some good sales, the market has turned its back on Guy Antibes (me).

Here is my lament and what I'm doing about it and another post on my personal trials with editing.

http://www.guyantibes.com

Edting, Editing, Editing

Frowny Face :-( Book Sales

[ March 24, 2012, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Owasm ]

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

quote:
Originally posted by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury:
quote:
Originally posted by Osiris:
I should have some posts in the coming weeks that link to the Scientific American Guest Blog articles I've written. It all depends on when the editor can post them.

Well, I hope you do more than post those links on your blog. Please also post here when those Guest Blog articles go up.
Ask and ye shall receive, oh She Who Must Be Obeyed! [Smile]

Deep Thought is Dead, Long Live Deep Thought

I also have a short blurb on my own blog about how I met Bora, the editor of the guest blog. It is a nice little lesson on how reaching out to people on the internet can have some unexpected results.

The Scientific American Guest Blog

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Osiris!
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

quote:
Originally posted by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury:
Thank you, Osiris!

And thank you for what you do for all the writers around here, myself included.
shimiqua
Member # 7760

So last week, I wrote about how some stories can be special to you, even though they don't win any awards, and talked about one of my favorite books, The Obnoxious Jerks, by Stephen Maynes.

http://theprosers.blogspot.com/2012/03/one-prosers-treasure.html

And then this week I write about what to do when your favorite author comments about your commenting...

Squee!

http://theprosers.blogspot.com/2012/03/what-to-do-when-your-imaginary-friends.html

MAP
Member # 8631

New post on Prosers, Strong Female Characters or Strong Characters that are Female
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Finally listing my updates but there's a few of them here:

Mine

Around six or seven--- yes I'm behind.
But there are from WotF Q1 down to Follower.

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, my blog is called Shadows in Mind. I attempt to post at least monthly. The topics vary.

My two most recent posts were "Reading Review – Winter of Women" and "Regarding Twilight". Neither of these were written to provide direct advice or to share my writing experiences. Mainly, I'm hoping for feedback from various people.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

Today on my blog:

Walking The Tightrope - How I found a balanced attitude to literary critique.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Not late this time.

April's Plans

shimiqua
Member # 7760

What YouTube taught me about Self-Publishing.

http://theprosers.blogspot.com/2012/04/what-youtube-taught-me-about-self.html

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

FYI, for those of you who use Wordpress.

Wordpress has two "flavors" for blogs. The first kind is for wordpress.com blogs on which all of the security (spam-blocking) and updates and so forth are taken care of by the wordpress people.

The second kind is for those who want to set up a wordpress blog on their own websites or servers, and those are wordpress.org blogs. The blog owner has to take care of all of the details, including spam-blocking and updates and so on.

I mention this because William Schmidt (of the Hatrack Novel Support groups) has talked about setting up a wordpress blog on his website, hence, he is using a wordpress.org blog and would need to do all of the things for it that are done automatically for those with wordpress.com blogs.

I hope this makes sense.

I just wanted to alert you all about the difference between the two Wordpress "flavors" so if you choose to do-it-yourself, you'll know that you really do have to do it all yourself.

MAP
Member # 8631

My new post on The Prosers Awesome Covers
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

And yet another one-- kinda fun one.

Star Trek ship

Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kind of ridiculous when it comes to the whole blogging thing (several starts and stops)... I'm just going to keep one now without trying to keep a schedule -- gotta leave time for novel writing and enjoying my family.

With that being said, here's my latest.
http://oddengine.wordpress.com/

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

A quick, fun post. If you've heard of the Lucky 7 Game, you'll know what I mean when I say I've been 'tagged'. If you don't know, or want to consider yourself tagged so you can play, check out my blog post below:

Tagged: The Lucky 7 Game!

Unwritten
Member # 7960

Here's a link to my new contest: Name My Book!
Come and check it out.

http://theprosers.blogspot.com/2012/04/melanies-first-annual-name-my-book.html

By the way, I really enjoy looking at everyone's blog posts each week. I usually hit most of them, so keep posting!

MAP
Member # 8631

New post The Power of Stories
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.