Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Updates to Hatrack Blogs (Page 4)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Updates to Hatrack Blogs
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
A new post over at Scientific American:
The Future of Epidemiology: Next-Gen Sequencing

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
The One Where I Stop Being Sad, And Start Being Awesome!

http://theprosers.blogspot.com/2012/04/humor-makes-me-laugh-even-when-i-want.html

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
New post at Prosers. How to make the Ensemble Work
Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
A few posts for mine.
Two non-writing subjects:
Warning

Letter to editor

Back to writing

update thingie

udate thingie2

Maybe a update thingie three if I get to it.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
It's finally done: Clockworks Warrior
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

Another post on Prosers. Sometimes the boy shouldn't get the girl
Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

Congratulations MartinV! That's awesome.

Here is my post about why writers shouldn't read:
http://theprosers.blogspot.com/2012/04/sometimes-writers-shouldnt-read.html

Well, that might not be what it's really about, but I guess you'll have to go look at it and find out for sure, right?

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

Sheena's out of town. So I'm advertising for her awesome new post. Character quirks
MAP
Member # 8631

Osiris, I just read your blog from Scientific America. Very interesting. Sorry I wasn't able to critique it for you, but I don't think you needed my help. It was very well done.
MAP
Member # 8631

My new post on The Prosers. How Writing is like Parenting
RoxyL
Member # 9096

- posted      Profile for RoxyL           Edit/Delete Post 
The latest on the Prosers is up.

Fight! Fight! Fight!

Insights on writing tricky action sequences and fight scenes.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

Great post, RoxyL. It got me thinking and I've written a blog post of my own about battle scenes. I hope you find it interesting.

Battle Scenes

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I'm behind on my updating, there's something like 10 new posts since my last updating I've been a bit busy with the blog it looks like. They deal with asteroid mining. One about UF, one about "Blood Will Tell" and another update or two.

But the last one Is Here and has a nice surprise.

The post is about Lisa Shearin a writer with about seven books out--at least five--all in one series. She sells T-shirts with sayings from her series. But recently she added what I call writing T-shirts. So I mentioned that and listed a link to the T-shirt page on her web site. http://www.cafepress.com/lisashearin

Surprise she left a "thank you" note on the blog. I've E-mailed her a few times and she usually responds- I say usually because she didn't the last time-even though at times I get long winded.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

Here is my Prosers post about the importance of first sentences. Some of you old-timers might remember [endlessly] critiquing this first 13 a few years ago.
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch. I've completely neglected this thread. Actually, I've been neglecting my blog almost as much. My Cinco de Mayo resolution will be to attend to both more often.

Ironically, my first offering is a post from the day I decided I needed to post more often: Digital Spring Cleaning

Here's one of the many ways I conquer a rainy day: WWaHD

Here's a post about my idea of combining my Writer's Playoff Beard practice with a traditional hockey playoff beard: Double Bearded

...and here's the post where I started wondering what was going though my mind when I came up with that idea: Unshaven Goals

Thanx in advance for checking out my thoughts!

S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbwood
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for mbwood   Email mbwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Unwritten, in regard to your 'openings,' maybe I can offer this:

Openings: An old and tired classic...

“It was a dark and stormy night...”

This opening will guarantee rejection. Why?
First, it is a tired, tired cliché.
But that’s not its only sin, for it also uses passive voice construction. The setting acts upon the characters.
Third, it is a redundant phrase. When are nights not dark? Especially a stormy night. Duh!
Fourth, it is vague, lacking in specificity. What kind of storm? Is it a snowstorm, windstorm, hailstorm, rainstorm, thunderstorm? Well, what is it? A duststorm?

Lastly, stories are about people, and to start with setting requires a very strong reason rather than creating a mood. Give the reader something to care about.

Got it?

mbwood

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

@mbwood: I'm not certain if you didn't read my post or if it simply confused you, but I in no way meant to imply that "It was a dark and stormy night" was a sentence anyone should use, unless it was in parody of Edward Bulwer-Lytton's first usage of the word. Toward the end, I mention that even though I always thought it was a beautiful sentence, it didn't meet my criteria of leaving the reader with an unanswered question.

On the other hand, as I read the comments people have left on my blog post, I tend to agree with them--its incredibly important that the first sentence is true to the rest of the story. And if someone feels like the way to do that is by mentioning the weather first, I say more power to them.

I apologize for inadvertently making you so upset...but I appreciate that you stopped by to visit. I'm much more likely to see comments if you leave them on the blog. Thank you.

[ May 06, 2012, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: Unwritten ]

mbwood
Member # 9525

@unwritten:

Naw, I wasn't upset. It was just a little piece I used in a writing workshop presentation.

Yep, I agree, the first sentence is the most important sentence in a novel, along with the first paragraph and the first page holding the same rank.

IMHO, the only author who had used setting (successfully) as an opener (and for a close) is James Lee Burke - see Neon Rain.

Remember the first rule of writing... Write!
mbwood

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Have two more posts-maybe three- but the most important one deals with the Craft Of Writing . It deals with some of what I have learned about writing.

There is also an old post I never finished. This one deals with a series I am reading so even though I finished the book months ago it still fits.

That is what the third post is. A post I left unfinished and forgot about. Blogger changed they way the set up and I discovered that I had twelve unfinished posts, Oops. Most of them didn't apply anymore so I just deleted them.

Actually that post was finished a couple of posts ago but the rest of it still applies.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
mbwood and unwritten, you know, I hope, that Madeleine L'Engle started A WRINKLE IN TIME with that sentence.

Edited to add:

Tony Hillerman started most (if not all) of his books (and many of his chapters within his books) with settings/weather reports, and they all worked for me (mainly because they were usually settings/weather reports as observed by Jim Chee or Joe Leaphorn, and there was also characterization involved with the description.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

@Kathleen: Yes, and I love the way Madeleine L'Engle did it. She's an amazing writer.
MAP
Member # 8631

My new post on Prosers Shhhh My Mom is a Bookaholic
mbwood
Member # 9525

Hmm, Stephen King, Hillerman, Clancy and other well-known authors can start their novels any way they want and the acquiring editor will rub her hands and say; “wonderful!”

However, if an aspiring, unpublished author submits a novel that starts: ‘It was a dark and stormy night,’ the acquiring editor will not hesitate to reach for a rejection slip. What was acceptable in 1962 no longer is today because it has been used. Peanuts even jeers at that opening.

Starting with setting is risky, particularly so for an unpublished writer. If a writer has a large fan base ('platform'), the standards are different.

mbwood

MartinV
Member # 5512

Fascinating but I don't think it belongs to this particular thread.
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I just added a post about what I learned from starting to record one of my stories. You can even hear my voice if you click on the little link. [Smile]
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
mbwood, this topic is where the subject of well-known authors being able to do things new authors can't is being discussed.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

A little post I made today about killing characters.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Update time for my updates.

Three writing updates on my blog.

Update One

Update Two

Update Three

Actually that is one update with two PS-s.

And one new one that's not an update.
UGH

[ May 13, 2012, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

MAP
Member # 8631

Latest post My take on world-building
Unwritten
Member # 7960

Here is my post about sadistic authors.
MAP
Member # 8631

Hey people, where are your updates!!!

My latest Even the noblest of characters need flaws

MartinV
Member # 5512

Here's mine.
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
After nearly two months of nothing, I exploded into three posts. One is on my current novel writing method.

http://www.guyantibes.com/2012/05/26/so-what-method-is-working-for-me/

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmm, turns out I got four posts since I last posts here.

A new update Interesting stuff on my writing.

Not so interesting comments from me about my writing. here and here

But a nice, non-spoiler little review of "Side Jobs" by Jim Butcher along with a new idea of mine.

Two wizards

That's it for me for now

MAP
Member # 8631

Thanks Martin, Owasm, and LDwriter2 keep it up. [Smile]

My new post The trouble with endings

Also if any of you are curious about what Foste learned while he wrote a novel in 7 days, he blogged about out over on the prosers found here. It's funny and insightful, definitely worth a read. [Smile]

MartinV
Member # 5512

Good, post MaryAnn. Here's my reply. I hope you don't mind a bit of dialogue (*caugh* ideas for blog posts *caugh*).
Osiris
Member # 9196

Been a little slow with the posts lately, so here I make a case for cliches. If nothing else, you should enjoy Legolas shooting a goblin between the eyes.

The Cliche Cliche: Think Twice Before The Slice

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

Good one, Osiris. Added my 5 cents (that would be a cliche, neh?)
Osiris
Member # 9196

Thanks Martin. I suppose you modified the cliche, as I've always heard it as 'my 2 cents'. I suppose with inflation since the cliche was originally coined, opinions are now worth 5 cents. [Smile]
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Wasn't first class postage only 2 cents when that was coined (as in "the cost of sending a letter to express my opinion")?

It would be a lot more than 5 cents by now, if that's the case.

MartinV
Member # 5512

Nice to see my blunder is taken seriously. [Wink]
MartinV
Member # 5512

My newest update.
MAP
Member # 8631

My latest Best Superhero Movies

Feel free to join in on making fun of me for my #5 choice. [Smile]

Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
Dagaz is the post where I remind myself to be joyful during my writing exploits.

Here's the post where I accept the fact that having definitive writing goals is the best way for me to get definitive results: Sharpshooting; here's the post where I pick an absolutely insane target: Ready, Aim...; and here's the post where I consciously chose to make things even more challenging for myself: Pour Me Another!

The Wooded Experience is just a fun post where I compare where I live now to all the places I used to live.

S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

Inspired by the 1st person thread here on hatrack, I blogged about The Dreaded Mary Sue
MartinV
Member # 5512

It's been some time but here's a new blog post of mine. MAP, I haven't seen any of yours lately. Slacking off, are we? [Wink]
Unwritten
Member # 7960

This post was written to help get my creative mojo back.
Osiris
Member # 9196

Over at the Scientific American Guest Blog, I introduce a new series I'm doing on science in the Arab world.

Scientific Arabian: Revolutions Then and Now

MAP
Member # 8631

@ Martin, just took a little vacation, but I'm back. [Smile]

New post Movies vs. Books

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Not a blog update, but I did put two new stories up on my website: www.robertnowall.com

(I would'a put up a third story, but it's still at market. Curse these slow rejections!)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.