Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotF Critique Group -- 2012 Q02 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: WotF Critique Group -- 2012 Q02
anarresti
Member # 9614

- posted      Profile for anarresti   Email anarresti         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine's bubbling right along. It'll be ready in another day or two.
Posts: 109 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure you get it out while it is al dente, Anarresti. Over-cooked plots tend to turn to mush [Wink] .

(sorry....I'm tired)

[ January 15, 2012, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: mrmeadors ]

Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent out one copy earlier today but hatrack got super busy or something happened and I could not get back on to get other addresses, so the rest of group one will get mine later tonight. Or Monday.

However:

Greenroom you must not have an E-mail address listed. Yours doesn't show up anyway.

If you want to keep yours private E-mail it to me and I will send a copy of my story just to you.

If you just haven't got around to listing it yet. Now would be a good time. [Smile]

[ January 16, 2012, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

Just to warn group 2, I am still on track for finishing my story, but I will need this weekend to do so. I should have it out to everyone by Monday. Sorry, my son had a bad panic attack yesterday and it kind of threw a wrench in things.

Melanie

Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the update. I haven't received any stories so I assume we're all running late. I am as well. My out-of-town guest decided to stay for almost the whole weekend so I didn't get a chance to write.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Greenroom,

I need your email address so I can send you my first draft.

Thanks...

To the others in Group 1, I am pressing the send button on my email after I post this.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I received one story, from Owasm, and I sent mine to members of group one, except greenroom, and a couple of the cool group.

I forgot to add a PS that I would like a confirmation back that everyone got it okay.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

I just sent mbwood my crit of his story, so Malcolm, let me know when you get it (to be sure it doesn't get lost in the void of the internet...).

Melanie

annepin
Member # 5952

Hm, mbwood, I didn't receive your story. I haven't received anyone's. Please resend and I'll crit ASAP.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

HIs was the only one i've gotten so far, annepin, so you're not too far behind or anything [Smile]
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, I've only seen mbs, and sent his back.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

Grrr... I FINALLY got to the core of my story, and now it all makes sense, and I'm able to write it all cohesively etc. After a few thousand wasted words. Sigh, so hopefully this monster will be ready for my group at some point this week. Sorry for the delay. I'll still work on other people's stories though, so send them along whenever they are ready [Smile] .

I really hate it when you think you have it all figured out, and then you write it, and there is NO CONFLICT!!

Melanie

annepin
Member # 5952

Go Melanie, go! Sounds like you're in a good place now.

And yes, I hate that no conflict thing. Happens to me a lot.

By the way, I sent my story to the group. It's 11,600 words. Let me know if you didn't get it.

So far I've sent back Malcom's story, and I am working on Utahute72's, though I don't think I will be able to finish it tonight like I said I would. Sorry. [Frown]

mrmeadors
Member # 6378

Awesome, got it! [Smile]
mbwood
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for mbwood   Email mbwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I've received pieces from LDWriter2, UtahUte72, Annepin. I still need pieces from mrmeadors, wireless librarian.

Many thanks to wireless librarian, mrmeadors, UtahUte72 and annepin for their thoughful comments and insightful advice on my piece '.

Thanks!
mbwood

[ January 24, 2012, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: mbwood ]

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Melanie: Check this post out, Giving Birth by Ty Franck (James S A Correy) -- a published author having the Aha! moment. [Smile] This is a sign of good things to come on your part. Seriously! Keep at it.

Everyone else: So, I ended up getting a regular job (totally unrelated to my dissertation work--figures) and writing has come to a screeching halt for a bit until I can figure out my schedule. I'll do my best to finish what I've said I will, but it'll probably take me another week or so. Sorry for the delays from my direction. I hope everyone else is having luck.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

Thank you for sharing that, Dan--Yes, that is EXACTLY what it is like with this story! Glad to know this stuff doesn't just happen to me [Wink] .
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

OK Utahute72, just shipped your story back to you! Let me know when you get it [Smile] .
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay, received my second story and I have two crits back for my story.
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

The end is in sight!!!!! I hope everyone else is having better luck with their stories than I am with mine!!

Melanie

annepin
Member # 5952

All right, I've received 4 excellent crits... I think I've only read two stories. I am ready to read whenever anyone has something to send.

Technically second drafts are due next Tuesday (Feb 7). I'm probably going to miss that deadline by at least a week. WriterDan, I forget how this works (yes, it's been that long!). Do we switch up the groups for D-2?

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I think I still have only two crits come in. Might be three. I'm not sure because I have crits for three stories coming in but I think it's two for this one.

The same with received stories. I have one to send out this weekend, maybe tonight.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Yes, I have officially been swallowed whole by the schedule surrounding my new job. Sorry, everyone.

Today's the 7th, and so it's time for round two of critiques! For convenience, here's a re-listing of the groups as posted from Round 1.

<b>Group 1:</b>
WriterDan
Greenroom
LDWriter2
owasm
anarresti

<b>Group 2: </b>
Annepin
Utahute72
wirelesslibrarian
mbwood
mrmeadors

Critiques for round two should go as follows:

Those listed in Group 1 should send their stories to Group 2.
Those listed in Group 2 should send their stories to Group 1.

Any questions, just ask! [Smile] Good luck!

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Yeah, I have a question.

What happens if we haven't received everyone's first group stories yet?

And mine will be late to the second group I need to finish revising it. Been too busy working on novels, here and playing around too much.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

@LDWriter2: You don't need to worry about it. If someone didn't send out their story for first round crits (like me, for example), they should just send out their story when it's finished to the second round of crits. That way, there isn't any possible chance of an overload on anyone (delayed first round + current second round = everyone in the crit group). If someone is open to doing additional crits, make it known in this discussion so that everyone will know. Hope that answers your question.
mbwood
Member # 9525

Okay, WriterDan;

a couple of administrative type questions:

How do I get Greenroom's e-mail address?

I've already received a crit from LDwriter2. Hmm, am I in the wrong group? Or is LDWriter2 in the wrong group?

remember the first rule of writing... Write!
mbwod

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

@mbwood: Question one: At this point I'd say forget about getting ahold of Greenroom. There's no information listed about him/her in the appropriate profile, he/she only made three posts on Hatrack ever (the last of which was December 12th, 2011), and I've pretty much exhausted my options for trying to find out who Greenroom is. Sorry. We're minus one in Group 1. Question two: You're in the right group and so is LDWriter2. In my crit-swap-defining post above, you're listed as being in Group 2. Those in Group 1 (LDWriter2 and company...) have been told to send their story to Group 2 (you and company...). You should be sending your story to Group1. Sorry if all that was confusing.
mbwood
Member # 9525

WriterDan;

Okay, gotcha. I've already sent my piece to you, owasm and anarresti. I'll send my piece to LDwriter2 (for the second time).

I'm ready and willing to crit your stuff - send it my way.

Remember the first rule of writing... Write!
mbwood (good luck to all)

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Mine will be a bit later. I have a bad case of the flu and I'm a bit fuzzy brained at the moment.

I got mbwood's but no other second time stories.

Oh speaking of good luck to us all wouldn't it be great if all three winners for a quarter were from here?

And I may have missed something since I read the introductions to each story in 27 very quickly but does WotF say what each story got as i n First Second Third.

mrmeadors
Member # 6378

I don't believe so, Louis, I think the stories in the anthologies get pretty much even standing in the book. Nothing about how they placed. I hope you feel better!

Melanie

PS--My story had been going so well, but suddenly it seems like it's not going anywhere again...which is sort of dumb because I have a plan for it, it's just resisting being written, I guess! But anyway, I'll continue fighting with it!

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmm, about WotF I recall seeing someplace a listing of where the writers placed but don't recall where.
MJNL
Member # 9686

- posted      Profile for MJNL           Edit/Delete Post 
*Pops in mysteriously.*

Placement is listed in the back of each book. For vol 27 it's hard copy page 533.

*Pops out just as mysteriously.*

Posts: 66 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

Ooooh how about that. It IS in there. I just never even noticed it!! (duhh...how many of these books do I have on my shelf?)
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Maybe That is where I saw the list and then forgot where.

I can check out how my nemesis placed.( If anyone is curious about that there a recent blog post explaining that nickname. )

Anyway, I just sent my story to group 2.

Hopefully it all makes sense, I made some changes during my on and off again fuzzy braininess.

axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi MJ...

bye -

Did I hear a ricochet sound?

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

I decided to dump my first story and pulled an old one out of my WIP and rewrote it for WotF. Now I'll send it out and read the ones that have been sent to me. I'll be all caught up by Monday night.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

I have to decide what I am doing with my story...It's gotten a bit out of control. I might set it aside for a bit and work on another for this quarter. Sigh. Unfortunately the other idea I have is fantasy and I'm not sure how that is going to work for WOTF. Worrying about what will do well in this contest I think is giving me a touch of block.

Melanie

axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Worrying about what will do well in this contest I think is giving me a touch of block.
Ugh. That's not good.

If you'd like to send me the first 450's of each, I can throw my opinion at you - for what it's worth.

Up to you.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I think I've gotten all my crits back but still short on stories. I have one to do I need to send back tomorrow. Could have done it today but I spent my computer time sending out stories.

I think that's two received for the second round and there's still two for the first round coming in, I think.

mrmeadors
Member # 6378

OK, Axe, I shipped them over to you. Thanks a lot!

Melanie

mrmeadors
Member # 6378

Louis--I need to get my crit back to you. And maybe you might see a story from me, but it might not be for another week or two.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Of crits:
Now I think I have them all.

But still few stories. But as long as I have a week or so to get it back to the writer whenever is okay. I could get it back in a day if it was an emergency but I like to give myself time to get side tracked for a day or two.

mrmeadors
Member # 6378

I'll try not to be THAT bad [Wink]
Owasm
Member # 8501

Thanks to all of Group Two for their timely crits. They really helped my story. I spent today incorporating their comments into my story and after giving it another run through in a few days, it will be ready to send out.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I need to do the incorporating thing [Smile]

I think I may have started but have a long way to go. Could have done it today but had a long afternoon date with my wife which was good.

Maybe some work on it tonight. But I want to write new stuff too.

[ February 20, 2012, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

mbwood
Member # 9525

Hello,

OWASM, glad to hear you enjoyed the timely crits. How about returning the favor? I'd like to get some feedback before I send my piece out, too.

Also, WriterDan and Anarresti, do you have pieces that need critiquing? I sent my piece to you, but nothing from you, either submissions or critiques.

Is this group functioning? I sure hope so...

mbwood
(Remember the first rule of writing... Write!)

mbwood
Member # 9525

Mrmeadors;

Hello, Melanie, I still owe you a crit from long ago. If you'd like a fresh set of eyes to go over your piece, send it my way.

Honest, fair and rigorous... scary, but worthwhile.

mbwood

mrmeadors
Member # 6378

OK [Smile] It's slow going, but unlike previous quarters, it's actually GOING. You should see something from me soon .

Melanie

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

"tis good Melanie. You can make it and be good.
annepin
Member # 5952

I sent a crit back to someone... Owasm? Have not received any since, nor have I had a chance to work on my story. I'll be working on it this weekend, most likely.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.