Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotF Critique Group -- 2012 Q02 (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: WotF Critique Group -- 2012 Q02
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
@MBWood: I have about 3/4ths of the last scene of my story to write still. And I'll get on a critique of your story right now. Should be back to you in an hour or so. EDIT: I actually just went looking and I have someone else's story in my queue. I never got yours. Could you send it to me again? Thanks. EDIT_THE_EDIT: Found it, critted it, and sent it back your way. Hope you got it.

[ March 06, 2012, 01:14 AM: Message edited by: WriterDan ]

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I just sent mine in. Q2 is through.

Now on to Q3.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbwood
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for mbwood   Email mbwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you WriterDan & OWASM for your crits. My delay in letting you know had to do with a ski trip to Utah.

I've sent my Q2 piece in & got an acknowledgement from Joni.

I'm still thinking about Q3 - I've got lots of candidates, however, I'm working on getting one of my mainstream novels e-published, and that learning curve is steep.

Remember the first rule of writing... Write!
mbwood

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Got an assignment for myself. I was at the doctor's office today and while waiting I was hit by two ideas for stories. One was a different way to do an event in a story I wrote years ago and has made the rounds.

Second one was about my Q2 story. Add some background. One maybe two people suggested something along those lines, maybe that's where the idea came from. So along with finishing going over the crits for the story I need to add some.

And see if I can find a reader at the last moment since it's going to change certain parts of the story. Mostly it will be the same but at the same time there would be significant changes.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I finished the extra stuff for my story. even with deleting a few sentences I added around 5000 words to the story. It has some background now and maybe some more of who my MC is. I made a few other changes as well, mostly minor rephrasing.

This is after the official trades but can anyone look over the changed story? I probably added a bunch of nitpicks also.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Oops, That should have read I added 500 words. I'm not sure if even I could have written 5,000 in that amount of time. [Smile]

But looks like next weekend I will giving it a last look over-with the new stuff I'll be on my own- and sending it in. The old stuff had some good critiquing, thanks to you all.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Two days left, peoples! Everyone already have their stories sent in? I failed to finish AGAIN this quarter. Ugh. Next quarter it is, I guess. Hope everyone had a worthwhile time in the group this time around. See you next time.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not in the crit group, but I'll enter of course. It will be my 14th consecutive entry. I'm cutting it really close, though. I still have one scene left to revise.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I just sent mine in and got the confirmation.

Thanks for all the good crits.

One surprise though with my new WP. It has a Proofreader program hooked into it. Found some nitpicks. Probably not all of them even with that but with that and the crits, it should be in better shape that some of the ones I've sent in.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I just submitted, with six hours to spare. That's after a marathon revision session that kept me up until 2:30 last night. Whew.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Just thought of something.

Now I have to wait for two WotF stories to be judged or as in the case of the current story to be finished judging.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Most of us are probably in that boat. At least, I haven't seen many reports of rejections on the Q1 thread. I seem to remember once, two or three years ago, when I had three WotF entries out at the same time.
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
Well this will be interesting. I submitted my story, even though the site said the quarter ended yesterday. Silly me for thinking it ended on the last day of the month. Anyway I got the "Thank you for you Submission" e-mail so who knows what quarter it is in, maybe limbo.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

One rejection on the Q1 thread unless I missed one or two but they seem to have been getting them out on a steady stream.

But Three at once, you must have been very early with one of your stories and/or they were very late.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

@Utahute: The March 30 deadline on the website is a typo. Someone on another forum e-mailed Joni and asked about it. If you submitted this evening, you're in for Q2.

@LDWriter: I don't remember the circumstances of having three at once, but those were back in the days when I submitted early and the results took longer to come in.

snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else get an email like this?

quote:
...we're sorry to report your entry did not make it into this quarters contest. Please inform me if you would like (title of my story) entered into the third quarters contest...
Admittedly, I did submit it close to the deadline (as in minutes if not seconds) but I did manage to get it off before the bell sounded.

I am requesting the contest for a clarification. Please, if anyone else received something similiar, let me know.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

Snapper, I sent mine in a full two hours before the bell and got a "You made it in" e-mail this morning.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Could be your clock is set a few minutes different than theirs.

But I just got another confirmation and invite in one. "Congrats on Making the Deadline, Now here is an invite if you live near Los Angeles"

Sent to the writing E-mail address.

[ April 01, 2012, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Or it could be that this is Snapper and it's April Fool's Day.
snapper
Member # 7299

Just got a response from the contest.

quote:
...the amount of entries we received exceeded our predetermined limit. The number of entries have grown considerably each quarter. A decision to set a finite number we would allow was made earlier in this quarter...

...This quarter was our highest one yet. We didn't anticipate that we would exceed our limit but the rush of last minute entries put a handful over the top. Only a very few were turned away. I am sorry that yours was one of those few...

Has anyone heard of a "finite amount" imposed for entries? I looked up their rules and haven't found a thing in them. I am querying them again in hopes of getting a satisfying answer.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

Snapper, sounds like the set a limit, but really didn't tell anyone what it was or that they had set one. Seems a little odd to me. I wonder if they need to get someone else other than KDW to help her go through the slush pile.

What's really interesting is my went in at about 8:30 Mountain time, so yours can't have been that far behind.

[ April 01, 2012, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: Utahute72 ]

Owasm
Member # 8501

I heard somewhere that they just decided to chuck all the entries and restructure the contest for the third quarter. Well the rumor seems to be correct and it appears that we're all out of luck. From the WotF website:

quote:
Due to the excessively abusive complaints of writers to whom we returned entries, we have decided to reject all Q2 entries. If we can't satisfy all writers, we will equally mistreat every entrant.

We will only accept 4,000 entries on a first come, first served basis for Q3. All stories will be based on the following trigger: webbed footprints

-Joni Labaqui, Contest Director

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

After a little back and forth, i have my answers. Some of which may interest you. First the upcoming changes in the contest.

quote:
The number of entries into our contest have doubled since we went to an electronic submission option. Although not having to handle all those envelopes (storing, sending, pulling top page...) has made life easier to some here, (She Who Must Be Impressed) is now reading the equivilant of four War and Peace novels a week. The strain is getting too much on her. Upcoming quarters will have limits that are 80% of the amount of entries we receive now, with future limits gradually going down to 60 to 70% of the current total. That will bring the amount of entries in line with what we had when we were a postal submission only venue...
Then this on KDW's opinion of the writer's...

quote:
...cutting out the last to submit was an easy one for us. Fairness of 'first in line' is obvious but our first round judge has noted the earlier entries are far better than the ones sent in close to the deadline. The last minute entries often read too much like they were submitted at the last minute. Many of those received in the final week that were HM's would have likely been finalist if the author took the time they needed to write it...
...of their time table...

quote:
...many of these decisions will be addressed when all the judges arrive for the ceremony. Other things under consideration.

Word count - 17000 is too much in the opinion of many of the judges, and anything under 3000 words is just a waste of time to others.

Tuxedos - a couple of judges are getting tired of looking like penguins. They are after a more casual appearance and would like the winning writers to reflect the casualness of the ceremony. Smoking jackets and denim skirts may be in our future.

Guest Writer - Expect a big name judge to contribute to the anthology. WotF believes just one of the major authors will increase sales 40%

Writer workshops - these will likely be open to the general public to join the winners. They will limit the class size, however, to no more than 50 writers.

...and this last side note from Joni...

quote:
...I have no idea who Jennifer Hicks is so I don't believe I can agree that she is a busy-body. But she must be a bright girl to be able to see through your obvious farcical before you had a chance to get it off the ground.
And one last item, don't ever use my name again for one of your April Fool jokes. I don't like it. Just for that, Don't ever expect to get an invitation to one of our ceremonies again!

I think that last one was way out of line.
Utahute72
Member # 9057

Drat, forgot to turn the page on my electronic calendar.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I am deeply offended by Joni's final comment. I am the official rose petal thrower for "Next Big Thing" Nick Tchan and expect to be treated with the respect due to one in such a venerable position. I prefer Ms. Busy-Body, She Who Cannot Be Fooled or, if you like, Official Hatrack Party Pooper.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Now it's obvious but that first one was so subtle, so doable, that I didn't think of what today was this morning.

And no mention about how wonderful and/or how bad the writing was in the story.

And man snapper you spend so much time "quoting" everyone at WotF that I wonder when you write.

But than again you are writing.

Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...cutting out the last to submit was an easy one for us. Fairness of 'first in line' is obvious but our first round judge has noted the earlier entries are far better than the ones sent in close to the deadline. The last minute entries often read too much like they were submitted at the last minute. Many of those received in the final week that were HM's would have likely been finalist if the author took the time they needed to write it...

Which means, when they cut it back to 50% there will be an equal amount of technical rejections as submissions. Carrying these into the next quarter is impossible, as the entire quarter would be filled up prior to it starting. Therefore the fairest way is for each person to register their story for the quarter, and still have a "First in line" strategy. For a small fee, you could have it lodged automatically for you on 1 second after midnight on the 1st of the new quarter, by entering it ahead of time to http://www.donotsubmithere.com.ic. For a larger fee, you can get your story bumped up the order within the lodging script.
Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

Pokes his nose out of the hole...... looks around for snapper

"Is it safe to come out yet?"

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

You better see your shadow--- it's going to be at least six more weeks of snapper.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Getting back to the quarter

Who made it?

As you know already I did.
LDWriter2

Utahute72
Member # 9057

Yea, me too.

LDWriter2
Utahute72

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

And me, but barely.

LDWriter2
Utahute72
Jennifer

axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
I messed up my submission slightly, but the words are all there...

LDWriter2
Utahute72
Jennifer
Axeminister

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

LDWriter2
Utahute72
Jennifer
Axeminister
Owasm

I made it weeks ago, for a change.

mbwood
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for mbwood   Email mbwood         Edit/Delete Post 
LDWriter2
Utahute72
Jennifer
Axeminister
Owasm
mbwood

Since my submission was a shorty, I got it in on March 8. Now I'm busy with e-publishing my mainstream novels. I may not have an entry for Q3.

[ April 03, 2012, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: mbwood ]

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't part of this group this time, but I put one in at the last minute (probably falling foul of snapper's critique of last minute entries). So, in waiting

LDWriter2
Utahute72
Jennifer
Axeminister
Owasm
mbwood
Brendan

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

In the press of fighting other battles I almost--make that did-- forget about this quarter. Joni sent me a note asking for my address for the HM certificate and as she always does she hoped I was doing the next story I said yes, but afterwards realized Q2 was the next story.

Normally speaking shouldn't the judging be starting soon if not already, but with KDW's too early death things aren't normal so unless Joni, or someone else, has stated otherwise I would assume the judging will take longer than usual.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Sorry to hear that LD. I hope your battles have all ended with you victorious.

Those of us who submitted by paper for Q1 haven't received our results yet. And after the new judge reads those, he/she still has to sort the semis and finalists. So I'm guessing that it'll be awhile before anyone starts on Q2.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I could be wrong but from reading the blog over the years it seemed that the judging of the next quarter started just before they announced the HMs of the last quarter.

Of course as I said it will most probably be different at the moment. But someone could still be starting to read one set while finishing up on the last.

In either case--agreeing and disagreeing with you Jennifer [Smile] it will probably be longer. But it seems like they should say something if it does take significantly longer than usual.

[ April 30, 2012, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Surprised no one else has mentioned this. Unless of course my E-mail got lost in E-space and just got to me. Time stamp says it arrived after eleven last night.

But I just received a note I assume from Joni saying. My story is in Q2 and I can expect results ??? She, or whoever, left out part of a sentence. And winners will be announced in June.

No signature

When that happens along with the missing sentence I wonder if it was from WotF. Joni is busy and has made typos before but this looks cut and pasted. Of course maybe an assistant-if she has one- did it.

Utahute72
Member # 9057

I got the same message LD, almost seemed like they were resetting the second quarter. I wonder if they are moving things around with the loss of KDW and maybe there is someone else handling things instead of Joni. Strange.
snapper
Member # 7299

I got that email as well as a similiar email notifying me that I am entered in the Q3 contest (thought the deadline was the end of May so panicicked and send one in before Memorial weekend).

I'm betting Joni was clearing her to do list. KDW's passing and the ceremony celebrating Nick T Chan's brilliance (they just invite those other people so not to embarrass him) must have left her way behind.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I wonder how they expect to finish Q1 and Q2 by the end of June, as Joni's message this morning implied. It would get them back on a more regular schedule but also would involve mountains of work for both Joni and new judge DW.

P.S. If I enter my Q3 story in the next week or so, I could end up with three stories out to WotF at the same time.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
(thought the deadline was the end of May so panicicked and send one in before Memorial weekend).
Dan set May 31 as the goal to send in the story but he always seems to be a month early.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Jennifer, they seem to be trying to run things as, or acting like it's, normal.

Obviously half of Q1 isn't but who knows with some extra hard work Q2 might be. Or close to it anyway. Or they might ignore anything that isn't normal. (Shoulder shrug)

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

But that reminds me, need to do one last version of my Q3 story.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmm, had the thought today that the E-mail was just a notice to say we haven't been forgotten even if things are messed up at the moment.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

All this waiting for results must be getting to me, it's time for strange dreams. So there's no misunderstanding I know how the contest works but as I said this was a strange dream.

The night I received my HM certificate--I say that because it might have inspired the dream--I dreamt I received another brown envelope, this one probably smaller than a paperback book. Inside a note about my Q2 story. I forget the exact words but the first sentence said something along the lines of "your ending has been used too many times." Second sentence was long and said along the lines of "this will be the last time I include your story in the anthology before I get to the end." Another line followed but I can't recall any of it. It was signed with one name, a first name. A girl's name, Kathy maybe. The letters were very close to each other and I wasn't sure.

My first thought was that they meant none of my future stories would get in but then I read how it was stated and realized what was being said.

I said to myself. "Hey, that's not the name of the new guy, is this a prank?" People online though evidently didn't have any problems with the name. After I showed it to people online I looked it over again and thought "Hey, does the phrasing mean my story was going to get to be in the anthology until they got to the end?"

End of dream.

Didn't think of it during the dream but does any of the final judges have the first name of Kathy or something very close to that? [Smile]

MJNL
Member # 9686

- posted      Profile for MJNL           Edit/Delete Post 
Guess I should add myself to the list of those who entered Q2--Hopefully we see results start to pop up soon.

LDWriter2
Utahute72
Jennifer
Axeminister
Owasm
mbwood
Brendan
MJNL

Posts: 66 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

- posted      Profile for rabirch   Email rabirch         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, there's one of these in this quarter, too?

Yep, add me in as well.

LDWriter2
Utahute72
Jennifer
Axeminister
Owasm
mbwood
Brendan
MJNL
rabirch

Posts: 248 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.