Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » The Thrilla in Chessilla (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Thrilla in Chessilla
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
HelLO EVerY-BO-DY, and WELcome TO-the THRILla in CHESS-ILla, WHERE-the deFENDing CHAMPiON, ZE-RO, shall BATtle the CHALLenGER, PHIL-O-CINeMAS, for the CHAMPionSHIP BELT of-the HAT-RACK forUM. FEEL FREE to COMment ONE-and-ALL. YOUR CHEERS and JEERS are WELcome.

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited October 20, 2009).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
philocinemas:

1. e4

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah!

philo vs Zero

1. e4 e5

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited October 20, 2009).]

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

philo vs Zero

1. e4 e5
2. d4

philocinemas
Member # 8108

BTW, I might play this game a little unconventionally...
Zero
Member # 3619

philo vs Zero
1. e4 e5
2. d4 exd4

ps: unconventional is fine, lately I've been considering f5 as a response as in 1. e5 e5 2. Nf3 f5 ... it's dubious but interesting. Sometimes it's the crazy unconventional stuff that wins matches against seasoned but traditional opponents who have trouble thinking outside the lines they are most comfortable.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

philo vs Zero
1. e4 e5
2. d4 exd4
3. Qxd4

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
GO ZERO GO!!!

RFW2ND

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

haha thanks, wolf

philo vs Zero
1. e4 e5
2. d4 exd4
3. Qxd4 Nc6

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you feel the excitement?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

oh definitely
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
My money is Philo.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

philo vs Zero
1. e4 e5
2. d4 exd4
3. Qxd4 Nc6
4. Qe3

philocinemas
Member # 8108

What an exciting start, chess fans! Philo came out posturing himself with a two-fisted pawn stance. Zero responded by scoring the first jab and taking out one of Philo's pawns. Philo, with equal amounts of boldness and arrogance, took Zero's pawn and began swinging his queen around like a cat of nine tails. Zero countered with his dark knight and put Philo's queen in jeopardy. Danger was to Philo's front and left, so he dodged the queen behind his pawn. What will Zero do next? Will he charge in with his knight or will he do something completely unexpected?
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
OOh! Aah!
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, would that I could read this modern chess notation and understand what's going on...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

quote:
My money is Philo.

I did not know philo was a form of currency, jk

Ok so who's money's on me? I did win the last game, after all.

philo vs Zero
1. e4 e5
2. d4 exd4
3. Qxd4 Nc6
4. Qe3 Be7

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited October 23, 2009).]

Zero
Member # 3619

"What will Zero do next? Will he charge in with his knight or will he do something completely unexpected? "

he'll activte his unholy bishop, methinks

(nice commentary btw )

philocinemas
Member # 8108

philo vs Zero
1. e4 e5
2. d4 exd4
3. Qxd4 Nc6
4. Qe3 Be7
5. e5

philocinemas
Member # 8108

quote:
Ok so who's money's on me? I did win the last game, after all.

RFW2ND appears to be howling for you - not sure about the money though.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

I bet you didn't expect "e5".
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Now look at them play chess, that’s the way you do it
You play the board on hatrack TV.
That anit worken that’s they way you do it
Money for nothin and Chicks for free
Now that aint workin thats the way you do it
Lemme tell ya them guys aint dumb
Maybe get a blister on your little finger
Maybe get a blister on your thumb

We gotta install microwave ovens
Custom kitchen deliveries
We gotta move these refrigerators
We gotta move these colour tvs

Money for nothin and your chicks for free
Money for nothin and chicks for free

RFW2nd

[This message has been edited by Rommel Fenrir Wolf II (edited October 23, 2009).]

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

It was a good move.

philo vs Zero
1. e4 e5
2. d4 exd4
3. Qxd4 Nc6
4. Qe3 Be7
5. e5 f6

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited October 26, 2009).]

genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
The crowd murmurs excitedly.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

I haven't slept in over 24 hours, so I probably should wait until tomorrow to move (my chess piece that is).
philocinemas
Member # 8108

I have thought about it, and my path seems clear (the "obvious" meaning) - I just made a pun within a pun, oh what fun. I have "clearly" not had enough sleep!

philo vs Zero
1. e4 e5
2. d4 exd4
3. Qxd4 Nc6
4. Qe3 Be7
5. e5 f6
6. exf6

philocinemas
Member # 8108

I will resume my commentary tomorrow, after Zero's next move and about 9 hours of much needed sleep - Monday is always my due-day for paperwork, and unfortunately, I sometimes wait until the last minute to start it (my paperwork typically takes about 10 hours to complete). - But I really enjoyed watching that Yankees game.
Zero
Member # 3619

philo vs Zero
1. e4 e5
2. d4 exd4
3. Qxd4 Nc6
4. Qe3 Be7
5. e5 f6
6. exf6 Nxf6

Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, this is like the Matrix to me. All I see is blonde, brunette, redhead....
Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Dibs on the brunette
philocinemas
Member # 8108

philo vs Zero
1. e4 e5
2. d4 exd4
3. Qxd4 Nc6
4. Qe3 Be7
5. e5 f6
6. exf6 Nxf6
7. Bb5

philocinemas
Member # 8108

What a swaggering display of strength and strategy we have here, chess fans! As philo retreated with his queen, the champion, Zero, stepped forward with his unholy bishop, preparing to attack. Out of nowhere, philo threw a right jab with his pawn. Zero blocked with his own pawn. Philo jabbed again, taking the pawn and leaving a gaping wound on Zero’s king’s side row! Zero took out philo’s pawn with his knight and positioned himself in an offensive stance. Wait, philo is swinging wide with his bishop at Zero’s queen’s side knight…
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

quote Seriously, this is like the Matrix to me. All I see is blonde, brunette, redhead.... end quote

well pull up Chess Titans from games and play human on human and move the peaces the way zero and philocinemas are then save it so every time one of them makes a move you can track it on you computer. its what i am doing.

zero i will buy you a 3 drinks of you faverit alcoholic beverage if you win.

RFW2nd

Zero
Member # 3619

philo vs Zero
1. e4 e5
2. d4 exd4
3. Qxd4 Nc6
4. Qe3 Be7
5. e5 f6
6. exf6 Nxf6
7. Bb5 O-O

philocinemas
Member # 8108

Good move!

philo vs Zero
1. e4 e5
2. d4 exd4
3. Qxd4 Nc6
4. Qe3 Be7
5. e5 f6
6. exf6 Nxf6
7. Bb5 O-O
8. h3

philocinemas
Member # 8108

Any chance I can take back that last move?
Zero
Member # 3619

Sure.
Zero
Member # 3619

haha I agree that it was a good move (mine) but I've never actually heard castling referred to as "good move" before.
philocinemas
Member # 8108

It was a good move all the same - totally messed up my offense.

Thanks for the take-back. My last two days have been spent trying to keep one of my clients from going homeless (long story for which I really can't give details). I'm also trying to watch the World Series. I think I'll wait until tomorrow before moving.

MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
[insert clever comment here] -- its been a long two weeks
Nevertheless, all is fundamentally well.

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

philo vs Zero
1. e4 e5
2. d4 exd4
3. Qxd4 Nc6
4. Qe3 Be7
5. e5 f6
6. exf6 Nxf6
7. Bb5 O-O
8. Qb3+

(Edited to add check)

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited October 31, 2009).]

philocinemas
Member # 8108

Sorry to put you in check right after taking a move back, but it's the only way I see of getting my queen out of jeopardy and preventing a checkmate to my king.
Zero
Member # 3619

philo vs Zero
1. e4 e5
2. d4 exd4
3. Qxd4 Nc6
4. Qe3 Be7
5. e5 f6
6. exf6 Nxf6
7. Bb5 O-O
8. Qb3+ d5

Don't apologize. I like aggressive play.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

This has been a rough two weeks - I had a client almost get his bank account sucked dry by a predatory lender (and stopped it just in time), the client's doctor thought he had a heart attack on Friday based on an EKG (so I spent the day with the client in the cardiology center of an emergency room and took him home on Saturday), and today one of my other clients ended up in jail and another had a friend die.

I'll move my next piece tomorrow - tonight I'm going to relax and watch the World Series.

Zero
Member # 3619

And what a good game it was. I don't like either team. But I especially relish Yankee losses.
Zero
Member # 3619

Hopefully tonight will be the same.
philocinemas
Member # 8108

I'll move sometime tonight, I'm cooking dinner and watching my son right now...and my wife just walked in the door.

Real quick - regarding the Yankees: I'm more of a player fan than a team fan. Right now it's the Yankees, especially Jeter. Ironically, years ago I was a Phillies fan - Pete Rose. The whole thing with Pete, even though I believe he was back with Cincinatti at the time, knocked me out of the park for several years. I'm divided about the whole Rose thing. What he did was wrong, but how he's been ostracised by Cooperstown has been equally wrong - he deserves his day (there's been others that have done a lot worse in my mind). Anyway, I digress, I'm rooting for the Yankees, and I don't really care if Steinbrenner spends his unlimited cash to buy the best - they're still a great team.

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited November 04, 2009).]

philocinemas
Member # 8108

philo vs Zero
1. e4 e5
2. d4 exd4
3. Qxd4 Nc6
4. Qe3 Be7
5. e5 f6
6. exf6 Nxf6
7. Bb5 O-O
8. Qb3+ d5
9. Ne2

Zero
Member # 3619

You're right about that. They are a good team. And it looks like they're going to be champions.

philo vs Zero
1. e4 e5
2. d4 exd4
3. Qxd4 Nc6
4. Qe3 Be7
5. e5 f6
6. exf6 Nxf6
7. Bb5 O-O
8. Qb3+ d5
9. Ne2 a6

philocinemas
Member # 8108

You must be a Red Sox fan.

philo vs Zero
1. e4 e5
2. d4 exd4
3. Qxd4 Nc6
4. Qe3 Be7
5. e5 f6
6. exf6 Nxf6
7. Bb5 O-O
8. Qb3+ d5
9. Ne2 a6
10. Bd3

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.