FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Reviewer comments unlikely to be used on book jackets (Page 0)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Reviewer comments unlikely to be used on book jackets
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
This novel has made of me a true believer in slavery and fascism as positive forces. At least, I'm now convinced by the very fact that this book was published that the free market has failed us utterly and it's time to enforce some discipline on the whole enterprise.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I laughed til I stopped!

Like a frontal lobotomy with a dust jacket!

Even the cliff notes were too long!

A book which strongly deserves to be abridged!

Voted #1 read by the Sadomasochist Society of America!

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
toshiro
Member # 8894

- posted      Profile for toshiro   Email toshiro         Edit/Delete Post 
Nearly tastes like chicken.

Will make your brain fart.

The Dialog was written well, especially so for the mime character.

A standard for all text books.

Larry Moe and Curly's cautionary tale about the plight of an Ostrich Farmer about to lose his farm at the hands of an industry giant who uses 'small folk' to produce amusements for children. The Farmer faces threats of aerial bombardment by the dangerous yet cute flying antler circus. L M and C run around and desperately try to catch the dirty bombs in pails before the Ostriches are pelted and utterly demorilized.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peek
Member # 7688

- posted      Profile for Peek   Email Peek         Edit/Delete Post 
Peek Approved.
Posts: 112 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
"Gerp de Berp de schmerbity urp!"
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
You should let this book age like a fine wine. Or vinegar.

This is a book best reserved for special occassions, such as Armageddon or when you find out that your accountant has been embezzling. It'll make those problems seem trivial in comparison.

An extremely powerful book -- I'd estimate 3.7 therms upon complete combustion.

Some have judged this novel suitable only as fish wrap. I think it prudent to qualify this by stating that it depends entirely on which kind of fish.

It is the thought that there might've been books like this in the collection that gives some small measure of solace as I mourn the loss of the library at Alexandria.

Remember when I warned you after this author's first book? Well, see! I told you not to encourage him.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The prose equivalent of a two-hour drum solo.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Not since Dante's Inferno have so many readers come so close to experiencing hell.

If you can only read 10,000 books this week, you might consider this one for your list.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The one advantage I can imagine from having finished this book is that I no longer have trouble pronouncing words like Mrpxp!vnckjvr. In fact, all words sound like Mrpxp!vnckjvr to me now.
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
A coffee table book, suitable for use as a coaster.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
(Scopatz, "inferno" and "drum solo" blow me away! I'm desperate to write the books to deserve those encomiums!)
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Thanks!

As my mother would say "Stop that, you'll only encourage him."

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I took it out of the library. They thanked me and bricked off the shelf.
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I you're looking for a heavy blunt object perfect for beating someone unconscious, this book is perfect; otherwise... not so much.

If you only burn one book this year, make it this one.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The author was paid in copies. He refused them.
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
The author was paid with the corpses of those who read this book and promptly died.
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hyperfried
Member # 7892

- posted      Profile for Hyperfried           Edit/Delete Post 
"The New York Times best-selling book that only got there because of bribery."

"The new substitute to laxatives!"

"Best used as kindling, not reading material."

Posts: 53 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eva Scrye
Member # 8960

- posted      Profile for Eva Scrye   Email Eva Scrye         Edit/Delete Post 
"...not...that...bad..."

Here's an obscure one:
"Comes highly recommended by Jack Chick!"

"Just when you think it's getting good, you realize you were reading the author's bio on the back cover, but couldn't distinguish it from the rest of the book."

The Guardian
Eva Scrye

Posts: 70 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

This plot wouldn't thicken if you dumped a whole truckload of cornstarch in it.

Reads like the novelization of the back of that tag one finds in shirts.

Way beyond gripping and well into debilitating abdominal cramps.

Islamic leaders have issued a fatwah calling upon the faithful to raise their left eyebrows at this author. o_0

davjonz
Member # 8962

- posted      Profile for davjonz   Email davjonz         Edit/Delete Post 
Winner of the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest three years running!
Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penta
Member # 8950

- posted      Profile for Penta   Email Penta         Edit/Delete Post 
Winner of the Booker Award for Worst Sex in a novel!
Posts: 19 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The author's philosphy rings through like the cheap electronic door chimes at a Chinese take-out.
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
The letter Z occurs 4332 times.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

-- primarily because the author fell asleep and his nose hit the keyboard.
Eva Scrye
Member # 8960

- posted      Profile for Eva Scrye   Email Eva Scrye         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, nice one Bob.

"Might spontaneously combust in an act of literary suicide!"

Posts: 70 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

This is a book that takes careful aim, fires, and still manages to fatally stab itself. . .

Upon further consideration, I feel it is my duty to alert the reader that the above is NOT a metaphor.

Dasa
Member # 8968

- posted      Profile for Dasa   Email Dasa         Edit/Delete Post 
Uplifting...like hot air.
Posts: 107 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
"Just when I thought I was out. It pulled me back in"

"you'll be talking smack about this book for weeks"

"100 weeks and still not on the Ny times best seller list"

"Not as bad as Orson Scott Card"
-(the logic of this one is unclear even to me, thus unlikely?)

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

This book belongs in a time capsule so that people in the future can open it up and wonder what the heck we were thinking.

Sweetly nostalgic in a cyclamate kind of way.

HectorVictor
Member # 9003

- posted      Profile for HectorVictor   Email HectorVictor         Edit/Delete Post 
"A great substitute for sleeping pills!"

"This...book...was...bad[great]!"

"A great White Elephant gift!"

"Considering suicide? Not the book for you!"

The classic: "The best part was the end!"

"I was suprised to find that, by the time I finished it, I had knawed off my right arm!"

"What book is this again? (oh, woops, forgot the !) !"

Posts: 48 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
"My eyes have fallen out of my head, please help me!"

"Better then the scrip of Oliver Stone's 'Alexander'!"

"Surgeon Generals's Warning: Do not read this book if you are pregnant, breast feeding or ovulating."

"This book contains letters which form words and is therefore officially considered literature."

"The Library of Congress has awarded this book the prestigious award of 'ISBN: 9-076-67588-4'!"

"This book is considered cruel and unusual punishment by the Geneva Convention!"

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

- posted      Profile for Descolada Survivor   Email Descolada Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] -slams head on keyboard- thats so awsome!!!!!
Posts: 110 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

- posted      Profile for Descolada Survivor   Email Descolada Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
"well thats 2 weeks of my life im never getting back"

"looking for a intense read? read something else"

"side effects: explosive diarrhea, anorexia, severe narcolepsy, and heart attack or stroke, if you experiance more than two of these symtoms at once discontinue use of this book"

"waiting for a bus is more exiting"

"i think it was a good book but i was only awake for the first 5 pages"

"pure crap"

"why he wrote a second or third book utterly escapes me"

"if you read this book all the way through you deserve a purple heart"

"Orsons Non-Exploding Books, Warning: book my spontaniously combust"

"the only thing this book is good for is beating yourself to death after wasting half your life reading it"

"makes a great paperweight"

"you'd find more context trying to read a brick"
(i should be doing my work right now [ROFL] )

[ January 11, 2006, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: Descolada Survivor ]

Posts: 110 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

"this book was comprised of many........words"
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

"you better buy more copies winters gonna be cold this year"
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The novel that killed off the Oprah Book Club

"Based on a shorter book that was better written."

Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
"Place book in microwave for 99 minutes and 99 seconds on high, and walk away."
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
"Now featuring several words!"
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oolung
Member # 8995

- posted      Profile for oolung   Email oolung         Edit/Delete Post 
this thriller was so scary I had to push it out of my memory!

extraordinary! Such a simple plot expressed in such complicated words!

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
"A highly unusual sequence of words!"
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
"Makes a great Dirty Santa gift!"
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Topher
Member # 9028

- posted      Profile for Topher   Email Topher         Edit/Delete Post 
The cast of Laguna Beach gave it 5 stars! (perhaps too close to the mark *scarred*)

Brings the art of crayon drawings masterfuly to life.

The jacket illustrations really are amazing.

If you need a break from good literature, this is your book.

The type is big and easy to read.

It's what kept Charles Manson going.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

It is the "spork" of literature.
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

"an extremely imaginitive boo- wait we're talking about (insert book here)?"
HectorVictor
Member # 9003

- posted      Profile for HectorVictor   Email HectorVictor         Edit/Delete Post 
"It says, 'UGGGGGGHHHHHGHGHHHHH', but why would the book reviewer write UUGGHHHH?"

Gimme a smilie if you get the allusion.

Posts: 48 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

" slightly more intense then watching paint dry"

"if you had a choice of either reading this book or watching grass grow, choose the grass"

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Readers Digest 'condensed' this book to the essential bits...it appeared in November's issue as one of those footnote jokes they use as filler.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
" Just the Solution you've been looking for, for a little extra fiber in your diet!"

"A Lifetime Original in the making"

"Paris Hilton gives it two thumbs way up."

"Bulletproof!"

" Given a 'Rave Review!' by www.we-give-you-a-rave-review-free.com/seriously"

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IB_wench
Member # 9081

- posted      Profile for IB_wench           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] very nice. the members of Monty Python would be proud!
Posts: 32 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaysedai6
Member # 8856

- posted      Profile for jaysedai6   Email jaysedai6         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the book and now non of my other personalites will talk to me
Posts: 28 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.