FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Reviewer comments unlikely to be used on book jackets (Page 3)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Reviewer comments unlikely to be used on book jackets
Lacerta
Member # 8007

- posted      Profile for Lacerta   Email Lacerta         Edit/Delete Post 
" I took it straight to the bathroom"
Posts: 29 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
"If you ever need to filibuster, this is the only book you'll ever need. Guarantied to break the will of your opponents. No bill will ever pass unless YOU want it to."
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
"This book gives you great literary undrstanding. In order to appreciate the good, you must read the bad."
Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

- posted      Profile for Dread Pendragon   Email Dread Pendragon         Edit/Delete Post 
"If you don't buy this book, the terrorists win."
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
"Mediocrity at its best."
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

- posted      Profile for Dread Pendragon   Email Dread Pendragon         Edit/Delete Post 
"the plot twists at the end, and you realize it wasn't actually a Norwegian cook book you've been reading."
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

"finally, a book that answers the question of where Waldo really is . . . and you won't believe where!"

"You wan't the truth about this book? You can't handle the truth!"

"My therapist says I should disclose how I felt about this book to others . . . but I don't think I'm ready yet."

"Part of me loved the book, the other part hated it. But enough about my multiple personalities."

Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
"Even though there are many characters and the plot is rather simplistic - this is the first Novella publication of the Phone Book!"
Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Von
Member # 1146

- posted      Profile for Von   Email Von         Edit/Delete Post 
Card's style of prose ascends to the apex of literature's greats, and is then mocked in comparison.

Few delights surpass that of a Card novel while you wait for your lump sum payment from your $12 million winning lottery number.

Here's to an old, fruitless mind writing about young, bright minds.

Perhaps the most controversal, sadistic, violent, disgusting, and utterly fun work of this generation.

[ May 19, 2005, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: Von ]

Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Von
Member # 1146

Card manages to show here that, in just a few years, his ability to craft a workable story will be in near sight to Lucas and Mamet.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Von
Member # 1146

Card's newest attempt quickly causes literary brain freeze. That is, gluttonous consumption will surely lead to pain.
Von
Member # 1146

A welcome accompanyment to your family reunion.

10 times better than death!

Uncle O goes for the big O and misses with this unsexy tail of crushed kittens.

Whenever I think of what I just read, it brings back memories.

Von
Member # 1146

Like a dream that you wake up from and get out of bed, get breakfast, and go to work.

Never read this!!

"Me Cardzan, you Jane!" Ho ho ho, Card does it again with his witty use of over-used things that have already been thought up. Three jeers for Card.

Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
nearly as exciting as watching your bananas turn brown
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Von
Member # 1146

It was this or "My Life" .. sorry, but I can't review this one.

And his autograph is spelled correctly too!

Too wordy!

Von
Member # 1146

Miss a few turns of the pages, and you get lost in a maze.

Every Card fan is reading it!

I'll have to remember to forget it.

Von
Member # 1146

Special package comes with trial size hernia medication.

A few pages in and any reader can see that Card knows the English language.

Von
Member # 1146

I really liked it somewhat.

If Tony the Tiger were here, he'd say, "Iiiiiiiiitttt's Grrrrrrreeaaaat!"

The best way I know to gear you up for a mamogram.

Cheezy as a pizza.

Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

"The covers of this book are too far apart."

"In order to read this, please have a 30-volume encyclopadia and a 20-volume dictionary beside you. Also, you might consider several other dictionaries of various languages, from French to Tibetan."

CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
"The bok was gud. I dru a horsy in it."

"This novel provides a stunning conclusion to reading the author's books. You'll never pick one up again."

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
The characters are as realistic as Donald Trump's hair.

If you read this and don't commit ritual suicide, you get a free frogurt!

Who would have thought that "Hooked On Phonics" would translate so cleanly into Vietnamese? This guy!

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
If the author had written another book I would read it. As it is, I am reading someone elses instead.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
"Read the book that brought back the practice of Seppuku to Japan."
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
With the coinage of "li-fi", Monsieur de la Canard, the one juvenile Scott, wrapt but not rapacious, belittled as he doth disencumber and grunt, hath marked his voyage into the nether-regions of pomo public voice, un-explored by prior workers in the sub-field denoted by the "honorific" of Sci-Fi, as his own. Let him pizzle where he sees want, and resist the wanton neglect of the weeds he oversees.
Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
"This book is almost as concise as the wheel of time series."
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dab
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for dab   Email dab         Edit/Delete Post 
"If you liked Harry Potter, put this book down and go re-read that series"

"gives a whole new appreciation for Ebay"

"many great artist are not fully understood until they are dead... i don't think this is why I am wishing to soon see this author in his grave"

Posts: 104 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Von
Member # 1146

There's only one Card, and it isn't an ace!

Ardcay's ookbay ulesray!

If I only had 6 months left to live, I wouldn't read Card's new book. (I never start something I don't have time to finish).

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Builds on the intellectual dynasty of 'Everyone Poops.'

An existentialist melo-drama which, by mid-book, will start you wondering if perhaps life really isn't worth living.

Contains more gratutious violence than a Texas trailer park.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

"This book as a whole is better than the sum of its chapters individually."

"Price means quality, right? This book is very expensive to maintain: Per chapter, one must drink several bottles of pure alcohol and inject much LSD into system; all in order to retain conventional form."

Lacerta
Member # 8007

" I could hear my money going down the drain as I read this book"
" One of the sexiest books around, and it was like a textbook"

Posts: 29 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
"An arsonists dream"
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lacerta
Member # 8007

" Shatteres my dreams in more than one way... Gave me great ideas to kill my mother...I killed my mother"
Lacerta
Member # 8007

" I burned the book to keep from going insane..."
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I was inspired to write my own book after reading. Certainly if this person could get published than so can I ... or my pet monkey.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

"My pet dog really enjoyed tearing into the narrative."
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
"Great dialog and a compelling love story." --George Lucas
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
If I can expand this from "reviewer comments" to "anything on the cover that would drive you away" ...

In huge letters: ORSON SCOTT CARD
Small letters: is going to be really pissed when he finds out I put his name on my book
(ripped off from Team America)
--
This was a book so beyond the bounds of the ordinary that no one else would publish it! And even we weren't too sure.
--
WILLIAM SHATNER

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
"A plot not unlike Moby Dick. You will search for one till it kills you."

"I've been waiting for this book!" -- Samuel Beckett

"I loaned it to all my friends!" -- Jean Paul Sartre

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
"Not so much an essay on man as it is an analogy to Ramen noodles".

(I'm really hungry right now so sorry for all the food-related comments).

"Disturbing in a way not unlike how a McDonald's shake refuses to melt".

"Good in a way reminiscent of 3-day old pizza that HAS to be good because it is still in the original box"

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

"I am sure to loan this to my friends. They will know what to do with it."
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
"I gave the book to a friend immediately after reading it--he barked at me and proceeded to tear into it voraciously."

"I loved this book...what's that, Bill? Oh, we're talking about the Card book? Oops, sorry..."

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
"Busta Rhymes gives it two turn-tables out of five!"

"Worst...story...ever."

"Fantastic! His writing is on par with Lucas! A true master!"

"Now that you've seen the movie, read the book so you can HATE the movie!"

Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
The plot smells like damp cardboard in a recycling bin.
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

"Remember, this book is printed on recyclable paper"
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly as many periods as there are sentences!

Special no-comma edition!

The only novel ever written entirely in conditional tense.

Booker Prize Winner!

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Author not responisble for zombification. Read at your own risk.

Si hablas espanol, opprime el numero dos.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Reads like a time-share brochure!

If a picture is worth a thousand words, this book is easily worth one driver's license picture.

Every sentence ends in a preposition!

If you call it fiction, you can't be sued for libel.

The binding smells like vanilla!

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't care how it ended!

What is this book about?

For those who love the study of European Slug mating habits and reading in latin then we have the book for you!

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
"A must read for all you Donna Minkowitz fans out there!"
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

"Look, your wife isn't going to get off your back until you read this. Stop postponing the inevitable."
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.