FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » New members post here! (Page 20)

This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22   
Author Topic: New members post here!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Maria:
Hi! I'm Maria. I'm a mother of 3 teenagers.

I'm so sorry! [Wink]

Welcome to Hatrack. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sub-Odeon
Member # 9211

- posted      Profile for Sub-Odeon   Email Sub-Odeon         Edit/Delete Post 
Age 31, maried for 12 years to a wonderful wife, and have a wonderful 2 year old daughter. LDS, but have been inactive off and on throughout my life. Currently live in Tacoma, WA, and work for a big hospital in Seattle as a computer nerd. Am also an Army Reservist. An avid SF fan, like most people I started out as a Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica (old series) and Star Wars fan as a kid, then graduated to broader SF through novels. OSC's "Ender's Game" was one of the first non-media tie-in science fiction books I ever read, at age 15. When I was 19 I got a chance to write some SF when I worked with a local SF radio production in Salt Lake City. Spent a few years afterward trying my hand at short fiction, and wound up with a ton of rejection slips. Decided to get on with my life and spent the next few years working, schooling, and so forth. Recently my wife has been egging me on to get back to trying my writing. Have re-read my Ender books for both pleasure and to examine how Card put them together. Like the Shadow series that has come later, very illuminating. Fun to read, too, since I have real military experience. OSC gets it right on a lot of counts. Way to go, OSC. By the way, does OSC actually post here?
Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Maria! I'll be where you are sooner than I'd like to admit. (4 little ones)

And welcome Sub-Odeon!
quote:
does OSC actually post here?
Sometimes. Only on this side of the river. (Discussions about OSC)
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Sub-Odeon, Maria, lisha_rose, Rake, johnplaystuba, Creator Aleks. Nice to have you on the board. [Wave]

Have a doughnut.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maria
Member # 9209

- posted      Profile for Maria   Email Maria         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, this seems like a nice place.

Don't worry about the 3 teens. [Wink] The 17 & 18 year old are acting like adults now, and the 15 year old is getting there fast. The hard part is just about over. [Smile]

Posts: 18 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SiriusSky
Member # 9216

- posted      Profile for SiriusSky   Email SiriusSky         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'm Sirius, 19, from the States but currently going to school in England. I first started reading Ender's Game when I was 12, but I didn't start reading the rest of the series ( Shadow included) until I was 14. They're my favorite books ever (even more so than Harry Potter).

I've been a lurker around these forums for quite some time and even spent a little time in the Battle School. I'm so glad to see fans of all ages here.

Keep posting, and above all make the conversation interesting & lively!

Posts: 83 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leia Atreides
Member # 9227

- posted      Profile for Leia Atreides   Email Leia Atreides         Edit/Delete Post 
HI, I'm new to the forums and thought it polite to stop by and write something about me.
I'm from Czech republic, mid Europe, so if my English sounds totally not-English, my fault [Smile] I haven't been given bilingual education, that is.
I found OSC's work pretty recently, if I don't count SftD, which I read some two years and half ago on a trip with parents. (Memorable experience, I must admit. Both the book and the trip.) I remember I had sympathies for a Speaker, and had quite no idea why's that he's travelling so much, but it was something I thought I'd like to do :] Now, around in a November 05, I 'discovered' the Speaker book has its prequel, explaining the misery of the Speaker as a little guy.... and I was hooked, you know.

To date, I read lots, but still not enough. One thing I can't get here yet is Hart's Hope, even in English it's not available. So I hope one my US friend will lend a copy from the library near him and read to me while chatting on the Skype or something like that. [Smile]

Well, and this is about all I wanted to say as an intro. *waves hello* Glad to meet you all.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leia Atreides
Member # 9227

- posted      Profile for Leia Atreides   Email Leia Atreides         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evergreen:
Hi, I'm Evergreen. I'm 24 years old and I live in Canada. I've been an OSC fan since the first time I read Ender's Game when I was 10. EG was my Harry Potter =)

Well, I started with Harry Potter (before that, I read books by Karl May, that might be more known to German readers among here)- I think EG and other books from the series are WAY better than HP [Big Grin] And the action, particularly in Shadow books, is much more thought-out...

(especially when compared with latest HP books, Hogwarts kids there are about the same age as Battleschoolers in, if I remember correctly, at least Shadow of the Hegemon. I know I know, Battleschoolers had all the military experience and training and what not, but consider they're as elite as Hogwarters are... hmmmmmm, you already know who I think has better potential to do something intelligently.)

Usually, I don't flame like this, but this time I couldn't resist [Smile]

Posts: 32 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SiriusSky
Member # 9216

Yeah, I have to agree with you on that one about HP. But as far as painting such an imaginative environment, it does have its merit. But like Evergreen said: EG was my HP. And HP is my HP> go figure.

What books by karl May would you recommend? What are they about?

Posts: 83 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helion A. I.
Member # 9223

- posted      Profile for Helion A. I.   Email Helion A. I.         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone. [Wave]

I'm a 19 year old newbie from NM. I have always liked OSC books, but I finally got up the coarage to join your forum here. Is it true that OSC himself responds to some threads?

And why are there so few other Hatrackers from my state? (I'm not sure I could even get along with the one Hatracker I've noticed who does live in my state /Advent115/. He seems like a jerk) [Confused]

Posts: 18 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, he's made some mistakes, it seems, but there's no need to pile up on him in other threads. I'm sure you wouldn't want people to do that to you, if you were he. [Smile]

Welcome! [Wave]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son Of Kerensky
Member # 9233

- posted      Profile for Son Of Kerensky   Email Son Of Kerensky         Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings I am a former navy submariner [insert generic submarine joke here] who now works as an industrial tech in Asheville, NC. I am a dedicated reader of scifi and fantasy both OSC and others. I also am a sucker for games of strategy and have been playing them since I was seven. I am the son of a Marine and brother of two Soldiers and would still be in the service if not for an injury sustained during my short naval career. I value friends and family above all else in the world and appreciate honesty and integrity far more then flattery. Hopefully I am not being too long winded and I am happy to be part of this community.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave]

I love Asheville. [Smile] I used to work in Brevard, and my in-laws live in Hendersonville. I also used to live near Clemson, SC. Wonderful, wonderful part of the country.

<--- ever-so-slightly jealous

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leia Atreides
Member # 9227

quote:
Originally posted by SiriusSky:
Yeah, I have to agree with you on that one about HP. But as far as painting such an imaginative environment, it does have its merit. But like Evergreen said: EG was my HP. And HP is my HP> go figure.

What books by karl May would you recommend? What are they about?

Of course, I don't think either of them are *bad*, I just think EG is *better*, which is a difference.

Karl May's books are mostly about West in, say, 19th century (if I remember correctly). There are Native Americans and cowboys and that bunch. He's world famous for inventing books about the friendship of Vinnetou and Old Shatterhand, Apach Native Am and a white man, a railway geometer by profession. They together go through many adventures, fight "bad" white men whose only goal is to mine gold (and as usually, steal as much from Indian's hoards as possible) and such. It sound terrible just from a describtion, but believe me, they are worth reading, empathising a virtue of honor and kindness. I think you maybe might get a copy in your library, if I am not mistaken, it's simply named Vinnetou... but I will yet check this.

Leia Atreides
Member # 9227

quote:
Originally posted by Son Of Kerensky:
I value friends and family above all else in the world and appreciate honesty and integrity far more then flattery. Hopefully I am not being too long winded and I am happy to be part of this community.

Ho Son Of Kerensky!
Sorry to hear about your injury. and of course you're not too "long winged" (after all, being long winged has its pros- imagine the flight!) for this community, welcome here!

camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
welcome! [Wave]

[ March 07, 2006, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: camus ]

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kin
Member # 9246

- posted      Profile for Kin   Email Kin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
get to know each other
Must we? .. Okay.

quote:
unknown people to become known
Must we? ...

quote:
how many, who they are, what are their interests, where they live...
I like mandarins.

quote:
Come in and say hi!
hi.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elrohir
Member # 9247

- posted      Profile for Elrohir   Email Elrohir         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys. I'm David, 16 years old, I live in Hawaii, and I'm a big fan of Orson Scott Card's writing, especially the Ender and Bean series'. So - hey.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SiriusSky
Member # 9216

Hey, Elrohir! Welcome to the Hatrack!
scoooot
Member # 9249

- posted      Profile for scoooot           Edit/Delete Post 
So here's my story:
I read EG & Speaker probably fifteen years ago. Then I read Pastwatch. Then I finished high school, went to college, wandered the country, & got married.
A year ago, I re-read EG & Speaker, then read Xenocide & CotM. Then yesterday at Barnes & Noble I discovered that there's this whole "Shadow" Ender series too. A little internet research landed me here and I am now officially logged in as an OSC fanboy. I have to read the Shadow books before I spend too much time here, so as not to have them "spoiled" for me, but it's nice to finally join what is obviously a large and enthusiastic following.

Scott
Wilmington, NC

Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scoooot
Member # 9249

By the way, what does the term "hatrack" come from or refer to?

I have a friend who, after saying something clever, points to his head and says, "Not just a hat-rack, my friend... not just a hat-rack."

So I couldn't help thinking of that when I found this site. [Smile]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, scoooot!

On this site, "Hatrack" refers to the name of a town (and a river) in the Alvin Maker series by OSC. Great series, I've always enjoyed it. Although the series is more fantasy or alternative history than sci-fi; but if you liked Pastwatch, you might like this too.

Actually, now that I think about it, the only thing they have in common is history. Alvin Maker is full of magic, and sort of supernatural abilities; Pastwatch is more technology. But they're both OSC, so they're both good. [Smile]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scoooot
Member # 9249

Thanks Jenna. That explains why I didn't get it. I may get to Alvin eventually, but my first priority is catching up on all the Shadow books that I didn't know existed. I remember liking Bean a lot and I was always curious to know more about how Peter basically took over earth. Can't wait! Off to the library I go.
Jimbo the Clown
Member # 9251

- posted      Profile for Jimbo the Clown   Email Jimbo the Clown         Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy! I'm Jim. Jimbotheclown. I'm posting from my school library everyday, where I work for extra credits. I like long walks on the beach, watching the sunset, lasagna, you know, all the usual. Adieu!
Posts: 135 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheli
Member # 9256

- posted      Profile for Cheli   Email Cheli         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone, I'm Anna. My close friends call me Cheli, and that has become my "internet alias" over the years. I'm 15 and have lived in Toronto, Ontario, Canada my entire life.

I first read Ender's Game over a year ago, after insistance from two of my good online friends.

This part requires a bit of side-tracking, so please bear with me, or skip over it if you like - it's not that important overall. These two friends and I play an online game where each individual is placed in charge of a "kingdom." These kingdoms are given names chosen by the player. My two friends (who are brothers) regularly played under the kingdom names "Locke" and "Demosthenese" (for some reason he chose to add an "e" at the end). When I inquired as to the origins of these names, I was immediately pointed towards Ender's Game. After a month or two, my impatience and curiosity won over my laziness, and I was fortunate enough to find a worn-out copy in the school library.

I finished the book in less than a day, and loved it. At that point, my connection to the book was with Ender and Ender alone. He seemed so easy to connect to - he was not a "perfect character" as you might find in a teenager's story; Ender was intelligent and understanding, but he made his mistakes and had his shortcomings as well. The political (Locke, Demosthenes, Warsaw Pact, IF League, etc.) and military themes did not really interest me. At that point in time, I had no knowledge of the people and things they referenced. It was not till some time later - through an inclusion of John Locke on a timeline assignment for Civics ("The History of Democracy") - that I realized these had been real people. There was such thing as the Warsaw Pact. OSC did not simply create these things from thin air. Either way, as time went on, I connected to the book in different ways, and learned to appreciate the multiple themes that were cleverly interlaced within it.

I also read Speaker for the Dead a while later. I found it interesting in that, although the end of EG strongly suggested a continuation, the book stood quite well by itself.

It was shortly after reading Speaker that I purchased Ender's Game on a school field trip (we stopped at a shopping mall with a bookstore for lunch), making it the first book I had ever bought with my own money. I still have it, although it is fairly worn out now from all my re-readings and look-ups (when I recall a scene or quote but don't have the exact words memorized).

For several reasons, I did not read Xenocide and Children of the Mind till some time later. I admired how OSC made the books readable; even though I didn't understand the science behind string theory and the philotes, I was able to grasp the basic concept.

I did not begin reading the Shadow books till recently, and have read all except for Shadow of the Giant, which I am currently searching for. I felt the Shadow books provided further insight into Ender's mind and life through Bean, and answered some drifting questions one might have after reading EG.

I think I've already ranted long enough, so I'll try to finish this off quickly. I found these forums through Wikipedia's record of the "Hierachy of Alienness", which I have had bookmarked for some time for reference when my mind slips regarding the differences between the terms. I was curious to know where Wikipedia got their pronounciation of "varelse."

Through reading that thread (What's your favourite OSC philosophical insight?), I recognize that there are many learned and intelligent people on these forums; I admit that knowledgable people frighten me, and I may lay low and keep posting to a minimum until I've grown acquaintanced to the atmosphere here.

Hope that wasn't too much of a bore.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ckat
Member # 9257

- posted      Profile for ckat   Email ckat         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is Chris Vanderessen.
I am 32 I live in newburgh ny. I write electronic music.
my friend gave me Ender's game for my birthday a few
years back and I have been hooked on Card's work ever since.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lisha_rose
Member # 9166

- posted      Profile for lisha_rose   Email lisha_rose         Edit/Delete Post 
Cheli if you would like to email me your address i could probably get myself to walk across the street after work and pick you up a copy:
Da_only_feamle_punk@hotmail.com

p.s. yes i know female is mispelled it is soposed to be that way;)

Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I Am The War Chief
Member # 9266

- posted      Profile for I Am The War Chief   Email I Am The War Chief         Edit/Delete Post 
My names Dan Koza from Barrie Ontario Canada
i may be new to this site but will never accept the title of newbie from anyone while talking aabout Ender or Bean - I am currently in Laurentian University majoring in Eng Lit geuss what my last paper is going to be on wink wink

Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheli
Member # 9256

- posted      Profile for Cheli   Email Cheli         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lisha_rose:
Cheli if you would like to email me your address i could probably get myself to walk across the street after work and pick you up a copy:
Da_only_feamle_punk@hotmail.com

p.s. yes i know female is mispelled it is soposed to be that way;)

Thanks for the offer, but I was able to borrow a copy just the other day. I actually finished reading the book a few hours ago.

I also hope you take no offense when I mention that I have to think of how my parents would react to me handing out my address to complete strangers on the internet.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vazor
Member # 9267

- posted      Profile for Vazor   Email Vazor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, my name is Mike, from Long Island, New York. I first read Ender's Game when I was about twelve, which really got me into science fiction (although, I've been lax in my reading lately). In retrospect, OSC's novels are the reason I psychoanalyze everything I see, and in that way, and have probably had more effect on me then I give them credit for. I'm now 16, and after re-reading Ender's Game (again...I think I've read Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow more than any other books in my life), I've gotten very into the novels again, which is how I wound up here. About myself, I'm very into classic rock, theater, writing, and, obviously, science fiction.
Momma Snider
Member # 9264

- posted      Profile for Momma Snider   Email Momma Snider         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Momma Snider, from Lake Elsinore, California. I just finished The Crystal City, which is the first one I've read in the Alvin Maker series. Now I have to get the ones that came before. I like to see the end from the beginning, so reading the last one first won't spoil anything for me; it will make me feel more secure when scary stuff happens. I've always loved the concept of the alternate history, or parallel universe, and I love American history, so this is great.

I'm the mother of six kids who are now 31, 30, 28, 27, 25, and 23, so life was pretty crazy 20 years ago or so, but I loved when they were teenagers and I love having adult kids around all the time. I recognize a few names here from my son's message board, ericdsnider.com. And Papa Moose has been to my house!

I met Orson Scott Card at a theater workshop at BYU in 1970. He was on the staff, but was only a year or two older than I was. So when I saw some of his first books on a trip to BYU years later, I was excited, but I haven't ever thought I liked science fiction, so I didn't buy any at the time. I finally read Ender's Game a few years ago, and loved it -- and disliked it, too. The dislike was because of the story itself. It was too real, and I didn't like to think of a little boy being taken away from his home, even to save the universe.

I'm amazed at the totally different types of stories that OSC has written. I saw on one of the old threads where someone a few years ago complained that everything he writes is the same, or some such idiotic statement. Sure, there is a style of writing, because otherwise how would anyone ever have a favorite author? But the stories are so different, and the personalities are so distinct, it's almost like he has several different brains all working together.

[ March 20, 2006, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Momma Snider ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Momma Snider:
And Papa Moose has been to my house!

Hey, me too! [Big Grin]

Welcome to Hatrack. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lisha_rose
Member # 9166

- posted      Profile for lisha_rose   Email lisha_rose         Edit/Delete Post 
lol its ok i was just offerin seeing as how i know other people on here have done it for others. yeah i understand tha parent thing to. but even if i wanted to come steal you away i couldnt i hold down two jobs and my lousy car barely makes it to work lol sorry just had ta do that.
Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I just joined yesterday, though I've been visiting the site for years. I think I have read everything Mr. Card has written except for his short stories. I am very into rereading because I feel that I learn different things every time from the same stories. I also love reading new things, and am open to recommendations.
I live in Chicago and am happy that spring is here and things are slowly getting green again. [Smile]

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by I Am The War Chief:
My names Dan Koza from Barrie Ontario Canada
i may be new to this site but will never accept the title of newbie from anyone while talking aabout Ender or Bean - I am currently in Laurentian University majoring in Eng Lit geuss what my last paper is going to be on wink wink

Do they use punctuation in this English Lit program of yours? [Razz] [Wink]

Welcome to the board everyone. [Wave]

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Momma Snider, fancy meeting you here! Welcome!

Welcome, everyone!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Momma Snider
Member # 9264

- posted      Profile for Momma Snider   Email Momma Snider         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, quidscribis! Nice to see you.
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm alex. I live in Canada. I signed up today.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opiejudy
Member # 9301

- posted      Profile for opiejudy   Email opiejudy         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is Wendy, I joined yesterday, I decided to google OSC for the heck of it and ended up here. I have been married for 10 years and have a 8 year old daughter (who I cannot interest in reading at all) and and 11 month old daughter who cant get enough cat in the hat. I read about 5 books a week. All different genres. Anything I can get my hands on I will read. I do not particularly enjoy romances, and I dont really buy them, but if they are given to me and I cannot get ahold of anything else I will read them. I own a mobile notary and medical billing business and am a stay at home mom, for the most part as my business is in my home. Well nice meeting you all.
Posts: 63 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatrkr81
Member # 9317

- posted      Profile for hatrkr81   Email hatrkr81         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys. I must say i've been coming on this site for a couple of years now and just discovered these forums! and they rock! My name is Chris, just joined today. I'm 24, live in New Orleans, got damage from Katrina, but things are getting back together. I took a sci-fi class in college and we read Ender's Game. I became OBSESSED with OSC after that and have been through the whole ender series (shadow series, speaker series, and first meetings), the whole alvin maker series, various short stories, magic street, enchantment, homebody, stone tables, rachel and leah, and about to start the homecoming series. My favorites are speaker for the dead, xenocide, and children of the mind...just something about those books that put me at awe. i can see this site becoming an addiction. glad to meet everybody!
Posts: 124 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gsim
Member # 9316

- posted      Profile for gsim   Email gsim         Edit/Delete Post 
hi everyone, im pretty smart, and im from USA. I just read the whole ender+bean series and pastwach redemption in the past few months. OSC is my new favorite author (sorry J.K. Rowling). Ender so beats Harry!

[ April 07, 2006, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: gsim ]

Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
falora
Member # 8527

- posted      Profile for falora   Email falora         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! I'm 18. My name is Flora and I live in France, so sorry for the mistakes you'll find in my sentences! I came on this forum because I found no french forum on OSC.
So I read Alvin Maker and I'm fond of it! I hope the last book of Alvin chronicles will be published soon. I love all books and stories about fantasy. I have time to spend on the forum because this time ther are some troubles in my high School because of the new law, I don't know if people heard about that in your countries.

Eventually, I'd like to learn to know the members and I hope you'll advise me aboutother OSC's good books. Thank you!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheezecake214
Member # 9329

- posted      Profile for Cheezecake214   Email Cheezecake214         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey. Im from the U.S. and ive read all the ender/bean stuff, the alvin maker books, and the homecoming seiries.

the Ender books are my favorite. im kinda obsessed.

I can only post sometimes, but i hope to post pretty often!

Posts: 10 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Schwartz
Member # 9339

- posted      Profile for Schwartz           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like I just missed being reply #1000. #1001 is still quite memorable, however.

Anyways, I became a Card fan, like so many, through Ender's Game and the rest of the series. More recently I have read Magic Street, Treason, and Maps in a Mirror (probably the most enjoyable one... I love short stories). Card is my favorite author, and I hope to read more!

Posts: 11 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dab
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for dab   Email dab         Edit/Delete Post 
falora, what is the new law that you are talking about? I'm always curious about foreign issues.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sage Zander
Member # 9344

- posted      Profile for Sage Zander   Email Sage Zander         Edit/Delete Post 
Live in Upstate New York. Reader, writer, protagonist, that person who shows up out of no where and makes a splash.

I've read all of Ender and on Shadow of the Hegemon for Bean, coming close to finishing it.

Hello.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
falora
Member # 8527

- posted      Profile for falora   Email falora         Edit/Delete Post 
Well dab, this is a new law DE Villepin tried to etablish but there were 3 million people in french streets for a strike so he decided not to enforce it. The law was called CPE (Contract First Employing), and consisted in hiring only young people for an inderminated lenght, what means that they can be dismissed any time. Demonstrating against that must amaze you (and apparently it amazes all the world!). But there are many stakes (sorry if it's not the appropriate word), that medias "forget" to talk about. However, Isn't there a policy topic? I've the impression I'm not introducing myself any more!
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peek
Member # 7688

- posted      Profile for Peek   Email Peek         Edit/Delete Post 
new members...check out the my awesome dude [Cool] peekaboo thread on the osc side. it will suck you in.

Dude [Cool] peekaboo

Yeah.

Posts: 112 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GodSpoken
Member # 9358

- posted      Profile for GodSpoken           Edit/Delete Post 
Addicted and amazed! Ender's series: Xenocide/CotM
I can only say yes, yes, yes. I believe my sanity is
saved. My children and most of their friends are now reading and infecting their circles. OSC is a very dangerous man [Smile]

Posts: 49 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello.

I just ate BBQ, and I am very stuffed.

I've already posted here for a bit, so this is late, and for that I'm not sorry [Wink]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.