FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » New members post here! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: New members post here!
DragonArin14
Member # 3116

- posted      Profile for DragonArin14           Edit/Delete Post 
What's that about?
Posts: 463 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mat
Member # 3417

- posted      Profile for Mat   Email Mat         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, its my second post!
I'm in Utah, and have been here for about 2 years. I sit infront of the computer most of the day, like the bum I am, programming (C, C++), doing computer graphics, and writing.
And because I have so much freetime I sit around and talk to others with way to much freetime.

[This message has been edited by Mat (edited May 02, 2002).]

Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my very first post.
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manz7
Member # 2877

- posted      Profile for manz7   Email manz7         Edit/Delete Post 
Mahon, I'm French and proud of it - but - I'm also a US Citizen first - born & bred. I find you to be very arrogant. You sound like a spoiled brat at a cushy job. I'm 53 and have been around enough to know better than to try to snub other people.

I live in Frenchville, Maine USA and wouldn't trade your Paris to this place. My relatives were from the Normandy area in France - sad to say it's too close to Paris.

Yes, we speak French - maybe not one of your 200 or so dialects - but - we can communicate very well - even with people from Quebec, PQ - Canada.

PS: You need a lesson in humility.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rruk
Member # 3288

- posted      Profile for Rruk           Edit/Delete Post 
Slash, would you like some cookies?
Posts: 83 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mahon
Member # 3424

- posted      Profile for Mahon   Email Mahon         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Manz7, thought that smileys were enough to draw the line to the big "I'm kidding" signpost.
And btw, don't be too proud to be French right now ! I'm not !
PS : what's a "cushy job" ? My English isn't too good.

Posts: 5 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryan
Member # 3412

- posted      Profile for bryan   Email bryan         Edit/Delete Post 
Mahon,

A "cushy job" is a job, employment, work, that is laid back, easygoing, low-stress, low-key, a "cakewalk," a walk in the park, where there is a lot of sitting on your bum, a lot of getting up to raid the vending machine, a lot of checking the score, a lot of surfing the internet (like now?), a lot of more or less surreptitious video-game playing while looking like you're working really intensely on that latest project, a lot of leaning back, a lot of putting your feet up, a lot of calling your roommate to see if they've got the cable turned on yet, a lot of breaks, a lot of stepping out, a lot of coasting, a lot of inventing new versions of office basketball with the guys down the hall,

but not a lot of actual work getting done.

Sort of like if you work for the government, from what I've seen in the US, Canada, and Belgium, and from what reponsible people report from just about every other country, except maybe Finland.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roxy
Member # 3416

- posted      Profile for roxy   Email roxy         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, everyone. I have been lurking here for several months now, and haven't posted much. I am a fourteen-year-old sophomore in highschool, and had I cooperated, I would be a fourteen-year-old junior. You can tell then why I like the Ender/Bean series. I also live in Utah, and am quite interested in writers from here. Maybe I will post a little more sometime . . .

[This message has been edited by roxy (edited November 21, 2002).]

Posts: 358 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DragonArin14
Member # 3116

Yes, do post more, roxy -- it sounds as if we might have some things in common
Posts: 463 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manz7
Member # 2877

- posted      Profile for manz7   Email manz7         Edit/Delete Post 
Mahon - Sorry about that, you hit a raw nerve. I don't usually respond to such remarks.

In the State of Maine - up until 1968, we were reprimanded if we used our French in school. So, we speak it fine but have a hard time writing it. If you want to type in French (without using a special keyboard or changing your settings) - just use the alternate keyboard that you already have. For example, you do not see the cents sign anywhere - right ¢ - except here. People are incredulous when I show them - it's right there. à å çêëèïîìÄÅÉæÆôöòû

Anyway, back to the new member info column that this posting is in:

I'm a 53 male living in Frenchville ME USA.
I've been on computers since 1992 and on the internet since 1997. I've been reading as many OSC books as I can find. And I've been having fun.........

Posts: 17 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valentine wiggin
Member # 3434

- posted      Profile for valentine wiggin           Edit/Delete Post 
greetings fellow card readers, i am a new member. i just found this site a few minutes ago, and i have decided to settle. i'm a female (duh) teenager, i think Orson Scott Card is the best storyteller in this galaxy, and my favorite color is purple. i guess i'll just reveal myself with my other posts so i won't bore you with a list... great site, great books, great author, great time. see u all around...

[vw]

Posts: 29 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pequeña
Member # 3441

- posted      Profile for pequeña           Edit/Delete Post 
hi just like all fo you, i'm a HUGE fan of OSC and i can't beleive it took me so long to log on here.
he's the reason why i suddenly forego all other literature and buy ONLY sci fi/fantasy books. abotu 3 years ago, a friend literally forced me to read ender's game, and after reluctantly picking it up (he bugged me about it for almost a month), i fell in love.
of all the authors in all the genres of books i've read (and i'm a BIG reader), i have literally never found a better writer. even when i encounter storylines and characters of his that i don't like, i realize i care enough to hate them which just reinforces the fact that he is such an amazing writer to envoke those feelings.
i will definitely be back. meanwhile, i'm gonna go read the first 3 chapters of shadow puppets (i'm so excited!) during my lunchbreak. hehe

ciao!

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roxy
Member # 3416

What exactly do we have in common, Dragon?
Posts: 358 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DragonArin14
Member # 3116

The fact that our schools both wanted to move us up and we wouldn't let them.
bryan
Member # 3412

- posted      Profile for bryan   Email bryan         Edit/Delete Post 
In that case you should both be grateful - my parents and my school decided moving me up was the best thing for me and didn't give me a choice. Not until after unleashing a 16-year-old as a college freshman did they decide they should have left me where I was.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polyhymnia
Member # 3465

- posted      Profile for Polyhymnia   Email Polyhymnia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. Well, it looks like I'm interrupting a discussion, so I'm terribly sorry if that's the case. I'm new here (obviously), but ever since I first read Ender's Game last year I've been a fan of OSC's. Not sure what else to say, except that I'm here, and thanks Mr. Card for writing such great books. Seems a pity that my school made Ender's Game our mandatory reading for the summer . . .

P.S. Polyhymnia is one of the muses . . . the muse of sacred music, I think . . . but you can just call me Nia for short

[This message has been edited by Polyhymnia (edited May 10, 2002).]

Posts: 10 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DragonArin14
Member # 3116

Hey, Nia. Um, it wasn't really a discussion...only three posts long, so you weren't interrupting much of anything

Welcome, muse of sacred music!

Polyhymnia
Member # 3465

- posted      Profile for Polyhymnia   Email Polyhymnia         Edit/Delete Post 
hehe *bows* thank you very much, and I'm not really a muse . . . I'm just an ignorant, blundering human being, who's tired, whose brain is currently fried from too much work . . . and . . . . needs . . . . sleep
Posts: 10 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DragonArin14
Member # 3116

Well, I'm sure we can find a way for you to be both a blundering human and a muse at the same time
Polyhymnia
Member # 3465

although of course I would rather be a muse all the time . . . oh well, one can't wish for everything, I suppose! *tries not to use another smiley face* oh well ,what the heck, I'll make it three posts in a row that have some sort of smiley face in it

Edit: Actually, it's six posts . . . I can't count!!

[This message has been edited by Polyhymnia (edited May 11, 2002).]

roxy
Member # 3416

hey, nia
welcome!!
now it's seven!

JuniperDreams
Member # 3471

- posted      Profile for JuniperDreams   Email JuniperDreams         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I've recently been introduced to Orson Scott Card's sotries and I am absolutely crazy over them... and I don't mean just the Ender series like other people. How does he get his ideas? He's fascinating! Brillianbt! I live in New York and I'm a little young so I don't understand all of the hidden messages but I know enough to say with pride that I am a true OSC fan!!!
Posts: 1245 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DragonArin14
Member # 3116

Well, a warm welcome to you, Juniper
roxy
Member # 3416

Welcome to hatrack!!
Kate Emily
Member # 3409

- posted      Profile for Kate Emily   Email Kate Emily         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I'm an OSC fan from Poland. It's a great place -- here and the other side. And so addictive. I found Hatrack only about 3 weeks ago and you wouldn't believe how many hours I spent lurking! Happily I've lost count -- otherwise I might get really scared myself!
Posts: 174 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roxy
Member # 3416

Welcome to Hatrack
DragonArin14
Member # 3116

roxy, you seem to have taken over my job as the unofficial welcomer. quite rude.

So yes, welcome!!!

Gsee
Member # 3479

- posted      Profile for Gsee           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all....I'm one of those long time lurkers first time posters. My story is much like everyone elses. I first read Enders Game when I was in junior high, I was always a loner with a few close friends, people always told me I was smarter than everyone else (though I never beleaved them). So to make A long story short Enders Game has been my favorite book for years i'm currently 26, married and I work in customer service for a major .com company. I look forward to finnaly getting to respond to some of the threads that pop up here.

George

Posts: 29 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DragonArin14
Member # 3116

Welcome to Hatrack, George! Er, um...welcome to membership anyway.
roxy
Member # 3416

I'm so sorry, Dragon! I didn't mean to offend you, and I couldn't think of anything else to say!
DragonArin14
Member # 3116

LOL. You didn't offend me roxy; just kiddin' ya.
Jenn
Member # 3491

- posted      Profile for Jenn   Email Jenn         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here I am. I'm Jenn, and I'm a part-time secretary at a state college and a part-time student in a pharmacy technician program. I tried the college thing twice, but it never really stuck. My worst college experience (other than chemistry) was a creative writing teacher who apparently believed your writing had to be incomprehensible to be intelligent. I agree with a former post here--if I ever write a horror story, the first to die will be named Julie.

I started reading Scott's books because my parents had them laying about the house, and as a precocious pre-teen, I had to read everything within my reach.

It's lovely to meet all of you.

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kosmik
Member # 3538

- posted      Profile for kosmik   Email kosmik         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone, I'm new (as of yesterday).

I'm 24, grew up in hawaii, went to high school in norway, ran off to france at 19, and have had ENOUGH of this country, so I am moving back to hawaii for x-mas - dragging my french hubby with me.

I am a true book-bulimic. It started when I was 3 1/2 years old, and hasn't stopped yet, I'm afraid. I've gotten alot more picky about what I read...

I'm good at a couple things;
1) learning languages, and
2) holding big fat books in one hand while balancing a bowl or plate between my chest and my knees and eating (usually with chopsticks) with the other hand. The only reason my mom put up with this when I was a kid, was that if she hadn't, I would have missed too many meals.

Great meeting you all

I will be sticking my nose in many, many threads around here. Can't help it. I always seem to have an opinion

[This message has been edited by kosmik (edited May 28, 2002).]

Posts: 12 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DragonArin14
Member # 3116

Well, I look forward to seeing both your nose and your opinions in many threads to come!

[This message has been edited by DragonArin14 (edited May 30, 2002).]

blattos
Member # 3589

- posted      Profile for blattos           Edit/Delete Post 
hello everybody. I'm a french fan of OSC. I'm afraid that my english is not very good... so I'm 30 i live in the south of france.
oula it s very hard to speak english for me!
see you soon

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BootNinja
Member # 2296

- posted      Profile for BootNinja   Email BootNinja         Edit/Delete Post 
well, if you want to be terribly lazy, go to altavista, and let the babel fish translate for you.
Posts: 557 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
archetypist
Member # 3591

- posted      Profile for archetypist   Email archetypist         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all. First time posting here. I'm a 40yo computer game designer and long-time OSC reader, living in Austin Texas. Also a dad, former scoutmaster, sailor, etc.

I look forward to talking with you all here.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, archetypist, how long have you been designing?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
archetypist
Member # 3591

- posted      Profile for archetypist   Email archetypist         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been doing game design professionally since about 1994. Before that I was a user interface designer and software engineer.

The most well-known game I've done was called "Meridian 59." It was the first 3D massively multiplayer game (like Ultima Online, Everquest, etc.). Since then I've done a couple of startups (doing another now!), and I worked on The Sims Online, The Sims2, and a few other games.

One of the reasons I signed up here is because I'm extremely interested in applying strong fiction to online games. This is much more difficult than it looks, and no one's really done it yet. I'm hoping to find places to discuss this sort of thing here.

[This message has been edited by archetypist (edited June 01, 2002).]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diana
Member # 3537

- posted      Profile for Diana           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't done anything as big as Typist but I'm proud of what i've done anyway. I was born in the Philippines and came to the US when I was three so I can understand Tagalog but sadly I can't speak it. I have two happily married parents (mother-nurse, father-computer engineer) and one older half sibling of 23years. Along with my older half sibling I have two younger sisters (ages 8 and 2) and I reside in Pennsylvania as a student still living with her parents.

Besides considering myself to be a good student I enjoy many sports especially track, basketball, and tennis and a variety of hobbies that I can't even count.

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blattos
Member # 3589

- posted      Profile for blattos           Edit/Delete Post 
thank you bootninja for your advice but i am on this forum (also) to exercise my english (american if you prefere)

So I've discorvered OSC with "treasure box", it's not he's best novel as i see later at the reading of "Columbus's redemption" (is it this title in american?) which is my favourite , and Ender's game.

Well , I'm a 30 yo "girl", I'm working in a fund of retirement, it's not really interesting but I've plenty of time for my hobbies.

I hope that everybody can understand what I'm trying to say with my poor english

au revoir

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enderocks!
Member # 3083

- posted      Profile for enderocks!           Edit/Delete Post 
hey, im kinda new,i dont post often, i "lurk" a lot. im 16, and a HUGE osc fan, nice meeting you all!
Posts: 25 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
archetypist
Member # 3591

Hey Diana - where are you from in the Philippines? I went to high school there and met my wife there (she's from Indiana - our families were there at the same time). And I have a son there now serving a mission (yep, I'm LDS too -- not sure how many people here are?).
Kate Emily
Member # 3409

- posted      Profile for Kate Emily   Email Kate Emily         Edit/Delete Post 
Salut, blattos! Good decision about the babel fish -- it translates in a way that only other fish can understand.

Posts: 174 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Amen to that. Babelfish can do some truly horrible things to sentences.

Blattos, you might be pleased to know that there are a number of other Frenchmen -- and women -- on this site. Most of them post on the other forum, though, about Books and American Culture (which, while I'm at it, is MUCH more active than this one).

Welcome, all of you.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BootNinja
Member # 2296

well i never said it was a good idea or that it would work flawlessly.

you aren't doing too bad blattos. much better than if I tried to speak spanish(the only foreign language I have any experience with). the title is Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus. so close enough. gee, maybe I'll go find a spanish speaking forum to bone up so to speak on my spanish.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BootNinja
Member # 2296

also, not trying to be snobbish or anything, I thought I would help you out. the masculine possessive pronoun is his, not he's. he's is generally read as a contraction for he is, a completely different meaning. I see where you got that from, and figured out what you were trying to say, and I would like to point out that I am not being snobbish and pointing out mistakes just for the sake of pointing out mistakes. I thought I'd be helpful and point it out so you can get better. if you don't want me to, I won't do it in the future.
Kate Emily
Member # 3409

Bootninja -- can't speak for blattos, of course, but anyway, feel free to point out my mistakes. I may joke about babel fish but am aware that my own English may sound queer from time to time...
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
no, it doesn't
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kate Emily
Member # 3409

Thanx, Kama.
Encouraging, if not true...

This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.