FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » "I Pledge Allegiance..." (Page 6)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: "I Pledge Allegiance..."
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
If you think laws should be interpreted liberally because narrow definitions are somehow incorrect, then you're opening up a gigantic can of worms. Laws NEED to be interpreted strictly. What if the law simply stated, "Killing another human being is illegal and is deserving of the strictest punishment"? Any judge trying a case could define that however he wanted. Without strict definitions, you have no logical grounds for your argument. You have to rely on your own feelings and then try to come up with a logical argument to justify why you feel the way you do.

"I don't define the Constitution narrowly at all, which I believe is a good thing -- because it makes it possible for me to justify not wanting a national motto like 'America: For Christians Only.'"

That's possibly the most illogical thing you've said so far. You're ignoring the most fitting and logical definition of the wording of the law in order to support your FEELINGS.

[This message has been edited by Jon Boy (edited November 24, 2002).]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

- posted      Profile for Wetchik   Email Wetchik         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you hate this country or what?
EDIT: To Tom

[This message has been edited by Wetchik (edited November 24, 2002).]

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
JonBoy: "You're ignoring the most fitting and logical definition of the wording of the law in order to support your FEELINGS."

Actually, that's exactly what YOU'RE doing. In saying that "America: For Christians Only" is unconstitutional, but "under God" is NOT, you're basing that purely on a feeling that the former is somehow more oppressive than the latter, despite the fact that neither actually mandates worship.

The difference is that a loose interpretation of the Constitution makes it possible to say, quite easily, that the former phrase clearly violates the INTENT of the Founding Fathers, even if it falls within the limits set up by the Constitution, and it's possible that the second one does not.

--------

Wetchik: Of course not. Don't be silly.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Tom: Forget the hypothetical motto. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about your argument that the pledge is unconstitutional. You're ignoring the most logical meaning of the law in order to justify your feelings that the pledge is unconstitutional.

I'm also justifying my feelings, but I believe I am more justified because my argument is more logical, since it relies on a more literal interpretation of the law and not one that I've twisted to support myself. Your interpretation of the first amendment simply has no logical basis unless we assume it's a fact that religion and government should never touch.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
However, I AM talking about the hypothetical motto, not least because it points out the weaknesses inherent in your own argument (which is why, I suspect, you're dodging it).

Out of interest, where did I ever state my interpretation of the First Amendment? I don't recall ever interpreting it here for you, and you seem to be making an assumption -- that I don't believe religion has any role in government -- which is completely erroneous.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

Tom:
Do you believe the pledge now is constitutional? Why or why not? We are not arguing the morallity of the pledge so please leave all personal feelings out. That goes for everyone. Based on facts, not hypothetical situations, is the pledge unconstitutional?

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I believe that, yes, the pledge as currently written is unconstitutional, as it constitutes a blatant promotion of a specific religion that has been signed into law. Now, there really is a fuzzy line here, especially since the pledge is no longer mandatory -- but I think it's better to err on the side of caution and return to the non-"under God" pledge that existed prior to the 1950s.

Wetchik
Member # 3609

Tom
I agree it was wrong to add it in the first place because recitation was mandatory back then. But, if it was removed now, it would be an attack on Christianity because the only reason there is a problem in the first place is most atheists and some agnostics want religion completely removed from all types of mottos, laws, documents. The fact that it is [supposedly(edit)] unconstitutional is only a disguise of their true motive.

[This message has been edited by Wetchik (edited November 25, 2002).]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

"The fact that it is unconstitutional is only a disguise of their true motive."

So if murder were legal, and some people wanted murder made illegal because they knew some serial killers that they personally disliked and wanted to hurt, would that mean that we should keep murder legal just to prevent these peoples' "victory?"

If a law is flawed -- and was created for impure motives -- then it should be removed from the books, irrespective to which political group it hands an ephemeral "win."

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

"However, I AM talking about the hypothetical motto, not least because it points out the weaknesses inherent in your own argument (which is why, I suspect, you're dodging it)."

And how much have you dodged or simply ignored? My argument may not be perfect, but it's certainly got more of a basis than yours.

"Out of interest, where did I ever state my interpretation of the First Amendment? I don't recall ever interpreting it here for you, and you seem to be making an assumption -- that I don't believe religion has any role in government -- which is completely erroneous."

Your interpretation is implicit. I wasn't assuming that you believe that religion has no role in government. I was only saying that the only logical basis for your argument would be to assume as fact the necessity of a much stronger separation of church and state than that described in the Constitution.

"It constitutes a blatant promotion of a specific religion."

Remind me again: what specific religion does it promote? All of Judeo-Christianity? Even just Christianity by itself isn't specific.

"If a law is flawed -- and was created for impure motives -- then it should be removed from the books."

The fact that we're having this debate shows that the Constitution is obviously flawed and needs further amendment. If the pledge is so morally wrong (but very arguably constitutional), then the Constitution should be changed.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Jon, do you believe that, in any case where the Constitution is open to interpretation, an amendment should be proposed to more narrowly define the text in order to clarify that dispute?

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

No. But I think something as important as the first amendment shouldn't be left so open if it creates such controversy.
Wetchik
Member # 3609

What is with all the hypothetical situations? A argument entirely based on hypothetical questions makes a hypothetical, and illogical point.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Jesus liked parables.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Hypothetical situations and parables only work if both parties agree that the situations being compared are synonymous. I'm not convinced that your hypothetical motto is synonymous. I see the motto coming much closer to an outright establishment of religion (though the line is a little fuzzy, as you said). I also see the motto as possibly abridging the free exercise of religion, though that's also very iffy. I see neither of those violations in the pledge's inclusion of "under God."

I'd also like to hear your explanation of what the logical foundation of your argument is. Since you're stretching words beyond their logical meaning, any claim that the pledge establishes religion is invalid.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
So Wetchik's motivation for specious reasoning finally comes out.

"But, if it was removed now, it would be an attack on Christianity because the only reason there is a problem in the first place is most atheists and some agnostics want religion completely removed from all types of mottos, laws, documents. The fact that it is [supposedly(edit)] unconstitutional is only a disguise of their true motive."

Removing "under god" is not an attack on Christianity. It is a defense from Christianity. "Under god" was specifically put into the pledge for the purpose of:

* The inclusion of God in our pledge therefore would further acknowledge the dependence of our people and our Government upon the moral directions of the Creator. At the same time it would serve to deny the atheistic and materialistic concepts of communism with its attendant subservience of the individual. - H.R. 1693, 83rd Cong., 2nd Sess. (1954)*

This statement, as well as George Bush Sr.'s serves to prove that the reason "under God was placed into the pledge was to deny atheists our right as equal citizens of the U.S.

Jon Boy's arguments are equally specious. Sorry guys, you're wrong. And it's obvious why you're wrong. You simply want your version to be true.

But I'm smart enough to realize that closed minded people like you aren't willing to look at it from any but the narrowest and self serving viewpoint. Removing "under God" hurts no one.

I guess I'll go away again.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

"It is a defense from Christianity."

Is Christianity actually attacking you? With no evidence to support you, that's an incredibly weak and illogical argument.

"Jon Boy's arguments are equally specious."

Do I have any reason to believe that yours aren't specious?

"Sorry guys, you're wrong."

Well, I can't argue with logic like that.

"You simply want your version to be true."

And you don't simply want yours to be true?

"But I'm smart enough to realize that closed minded people like you aren't willing to look at it from any but the narrowest and self serving viewpoint."

Give yourself a pat on the back. You hit the nail right on the head. I'm just narrow-minded and self-serving. I'm not at all interested the integrity of the Constitution. You saw right through me. You're obviously right, because you instantly stigmatize anyone who disagrees with you.

"I guess I'll go away again."

Come back when you can contribute something other than slander and circular arguments.

[This message has been edited by Jon Boy (edited November 25, 2002).]

Wetchik
Member # 3609

"Removing 'under God' isn't an attack on Christianity, it is a defense of Christianity." How is "under God" attacking you?. It only does if you are required to say it. And, the fact that you said that my last post was my only true point is false. I'm trying to understand what your evershifting arguments are. That is a side-argument. Don't be foolish. My main argument is the pledge is constitutional and the SCOTUM has no grounds for removing it.

Wetchik
Member # 3609

"But I'm smart enough to realize that closed minded people like you aren't willing to look at it from any but the narrowest and self serving viewpoint. Removing "under God" hurts no one. "
Glenn:
Removing "under God" hurts no one. Leaving "under God" also hurts no one. Removing "under God" hurts the Constitution. Please do go away. Nobody likes your slander, and now, several people don't respect you and I plain out don't like you at all. Please leave until can conduct yourself respectively.

Wetchik
Member # 3609

Glenn:
I said adding it in the first place was a moral mistake. But removing it now would be a bigger mistake. What legal grounds do you have for your argument? If you have none, kindly leave us to reasonable debate instead of, "you're wrong because of what some old guy said 48 years ago that doesn't even apply now." The Cold War is over! Did you miss that? I have one question for you. Why do you particularly want that phrase removed? I mean that as a moral question, not a legal one. I think it is your turn to quit dodging.

Wetchik
Member # 3609

Jon:
I was wondering. Are you for or against the separation of church and state?

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Wetchik: I guess it depends on how far they're separated. I disagree with the current notion of the separation of church and state, which claims that things like the pledge, the oath of office, and prayers in the Senate are unconstitutional. The only way we could expect that kind of separation is if all politicians were atheist or somehow capable of leaving their beliefs at the door. I think the first amendment has some loopholes that need to be closed, though.

Does that make sense? Let me summarize.

Separation of church and state = Bad.
"Under God" in Pledge of allegiance = Constitutional.
First amendment = Mostly good, but could use some further amending to clarify. Until then, it's best to stick to the law rather than twist it so that it means what we want it to mean.

[This message has been edited by Jon Boy (edited November 25, 2002).]

Wetchik
Member # 3609

Whoa! Jon, I thought we would never disagree. Prayer in oaths of office and such are not unconstitutional, but you think separation of church and state is bad? It's a good thing in my eyes. Separation of Church and state means the official church of a nation has no political power. Nonseparation of church and state would lead to things like legal punishments for sins. Excommunitcation from the church would be excommunication from the country too. Apply this to the US and tell me that is not a bad thing.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I think I must not have been very clear. I guess it depends on what "separation of church and state" means. I think things like an official church, legal punishments for sins, and excommunication being synonymous with expatriation to be bad.

I just don't believe that religion and politics CAN be or SHOULD be fully separated, unless you expect politicians to remove religious beliefs from themselves when making political decisions. That's just not possible, and it would persecute those who didn't forsake their beliefs. I think we need a certain degree of separation between church and state, but not to the extent of declaring the pledge, oaths of office, and prayers in school to be illegal.

Don't worry. It seems like we still agree.

[This message has been edited by Jon Boy (edited November 26, 2002).]

JuniperDreams
Member # 3471

- posted      Profile for JuniperDreams   Email JuniperDreams         Edit/Delete Post 
i think your seriousness has gone far enough. you need an insane dose of sometihng... like me!
Posts: 1245 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

Ok Jon. I also think it's impossible for people to leave their beliefs at the door. But if the US was to have an official chuch that had politcal power, that would be wrong. The authors of the constitution were trying to avoid things like salem witch trials. They also didn't want the pope to have politcal power. That's what I agree with.

[This message has been edited by Wetchik (edited November 26, 2002).]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

It sounds like we're still on the same page then.
BootNinja
Member # 2296

- posted      Profile for BootNinja   Email BootNinja         Edit/Delete Post 
I must say that for awhile at least, this thread entertained me. I found myself drifting from one side to the other as the wind blows. But now, instead of anything new, everyone is repeating the same thing ad nauseum.

Jonboy, the founding fathers made the constitution intentionally vague, and they also intentionally made the amendment process pretty difficult. The two go hand in hand. This is why the document has lasted for 200+ years. Other countries have had to throw out their constitutions and start from scratch.

Take the Texas State constitution. It's been amended hundreds of times. every other election it seems that there is a new amendment on the ballot.

The flexibility of the constitution is an asset.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

BootNinja:
The flexiblity of the constitution(which I think it's not flexible or vague at all) is an asset.

Don't state your OPINIONS as if they're facts please.

[This message has been edited by Wetchik (edited November 26, 2002).]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

In fairness, Wetchik, all any of us have been doing on this thread is posting our opinions as if they were facts -- and providing arguments buttressing those opinions. That's exactly what BootNinja did in his post.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

BootNinja: I know the Constitution is flexible. I know that's what's kept it alive so long. However, there's a great difference between something being flexible and being moldable. I think that some people are trying to fit the Constitution to their desires, rather than staying within logical interpretations.
BootNinja
Member # 2296

Wetchik, Just what do you think the purpose of this forum is except to state an opinion? And Like Tom said, as often as you yourself have used the words "I believe," you don't have any right telling me not to voice my opinions. I never said anything to make anyone believe that this statement was anything more than an opinion. I assumed that everyone on in this discussion, being a native english speaker was familiar enough with the language to distinguish an opinion from a fact. I mean, come on, they teach that kind of thing in the third grade.

But I am sorry. Next time I'll be sure to add a disclaimer saying "This is Mack's opinions."

Posts: 557 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abyss
Member # 3086

- posted      Profile for Abyss   Email Abyss         Edit/Delete Post 
"...The flexibility of the constitution is an asset..."

And sometimes, it is an enemy. Take the second amendment, for example. A peoples' "right" to bear arms is being called into question by a surprising percentage of Americans.

I blame poor education.

I stand in favour of a peoples' right to bear arms, because I know my history.

[More to come.]

Posts: 280 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

*laugh* This from the same guy who thinks "under God" should stay in the pledge?

BootNinja
Member # 2296

Look out Wetchik, I'm about to voice another opinion.

I think that people should have the right to bear a firearm, and I also think that the concealed carry license is a good thing.

I did a quick search on google, and came up with the following link:

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/guns.htm

quote:

According to the 1997 Survey of State Prison Inmates, among those possessing a gun, the source of the gun was from -

* a flea market or gun show for fewer than 2%
* a retail store or pawnshop for about 12%
* family, friends, a street buy, or an illegal source for 80%

If most criminals aren't buying their guns from reputable law abiding dealers, then outlawing guns will do next to nothing to curb firearm related crimes. Thus, it is reasonable for the average citizen to be able to purchase a firearm for protection.

Now this opinion probably isn't terribly surprising coming from a texan(me), but it's the way I feel about it. Personally, I will probably never own a gun. I don't think I could ever bring myself to shoot another human being, but if I were to buy a gun, I would make damn sure I knew how to use it and that I achieved fair proficiency using it to minimize the capacity for an accident.

I don't think getting rid of guns is the way to go. Instead, let's educate the consumers, and work on getting rid of those illegal dealers.

[edited to correct grammar and capitalization]

[This message has been edited by BootNinja (edited December 02, 2002).]

Wetchik
Member # 3609

BootNinja:
"Don't state your OPINIONS as if they're facts please."

Did that offend you so much that you have to be sarcastic toward me every post now?

BootNinja
Member # 2296

nope, just the last two. But yes, that statement did indeed bother me muchly.
Wetchik
Member # 3609

Sorry man, I didn't mean that in a mean way.
And, I never said opinions were not allowed. That would be a horrible hypocracy.

[This message has been edited by Wetchik (edited December 04, 2002).]

Abyss
Member # 3086

- posted      Profile for Abyss   Email Abyss         Edit/Delete Post 
"...The flexibility of the constitution is an asset..."

[Cont. previous post]

If the people who stand for gun-control laws also stand in favour of a "flexible" interpretation of the Constitution, we have a problem here.

A "flexible" view of the Constitution, without actual amending done, defeats the entire point of the Constitution itself. The Constitution's role is to RESTRICT government, to keep it in it's rightful and important position: to protect the people from each other. A strict interpretation of the Constitution by the government fulfills the government's highest priority: to protect the people from itself.

If a strict interpretation is favoured, weapons should never be needed in civilian hands.

However! If the Constitution is not adhered to, to the letter, the government now no longer protects The People from itself, and they (we) are left defenseless against the most powerful and successful government since Rome.

It is important to see weapons, not as a defense against fellow man (though such is often their use) , but as a failsafe against corruption and a defense against a lawless government.

-Abyss

[This message has been edited by Abyss (edited December 05, 2002).]

Posts: 280 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"It is important to see weapons, not as a defense against fellow man (though such is often their use) , but as a failsafe against corruption and a defense against a lawless government."

Sadly, I don't see weapons that way.

Wetchik
Member # 3609

Tom:
Out of curiosity, what is your viewpoint on weapons?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

They're one of the fastest ways to destroy our own souls.

Violence is one of the most easily justifiable sins; killing in self-defense, after all, is hardly a sin at all, right -- and it's so easy to consider something self-defense.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I think it's the attitude about weapons and violence that can destroy your soul. I read somewhere (and I really wish I could remember where) that Canada has 7 million guns in 10 million households (I'm not even sure I've got the numbers exactly right). However, their homicide rate is ridiculously lower than ours. There's something seriously wrong with America.
Wetchik
Member # 3609

Yep, in one year, over 12,000 homicides are blamed on guns in the United States.
Guess what country is trailing? It's Germany. They only have 255 homicides a year.

[This message has been edited by Wetchik (edited December 09, 2002).]

Wetchik
Member # 3609

Sometimes when I see gang-wars, I think the second amendment should be changed. It should be that you have the right to bear arms, excluding guns. Key word=sometimes. Please keep the personal attacks to a minimum.
Steel
Member # 3342

- posted      Profile for Steel   Email Steel         Edit/Delete Post 
Right to bear arms, but not guns?

...you know arms MEANS guns, right?...

It's not the right to wear sleeveless shirts.

Posts: 497 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

Arms does not necessarily mean guns. And I don't always think they should change it, but only when I see that right abused. I think they should get more people to crack down on illegal gun sales. I really am against guns.

[This message has been edited by Wetchik (edited December 10, 2002).]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

I'm not against guns any more than I'm against OTHER weapons -- and neither, mind you, do I oppose weapons sales to the public -- but I think the mere act of bearing a weapon stains your soul every minute you carry it.

BootNinja
Member # 2296

Tom, what're your thoughts on those who own weapons for recreational uses? I.E. target shooting at a shooting range as a means of strees relief.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I'm torn, here, because I don't see anything wrong in enjoying the SPORT -- but I do see things inherently wrong in killing, so I'm not sure how to permit one without enabling the other.

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.