FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » "I Pledge Allegiance..." (Page 2)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: "I Pledge Allegiance..."
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
No, the statement would be "We are yielding to a very small but loud minority who are misunderstanding the first amendment."
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
So, Jon, would you disagree that Eisenhower was violating the First Amendment by modifying the Pledge of Allegiance to encourage Christian belief -- by his own admission?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JuniperDreams
Member # 3471

- posted      Profile for JuniperDreams   Email JuniperDreams         Edit/Delete Post 
POP UP AD!!!!!

~*~*~*~

Join the civil war: thread! Fight for your freedom!
http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/forum/Forum1/HTML/001439.html

~*~*~*~

This post has been brought to you by... JuniperDreams... JuniperDreams, a small dose of craziness, everyday!

[This message has been edited by JuniperDreams (edited November 04, 2002).]

Posts: 1245 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

His intentions don't really matter. Here's the relevant part of the first amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

Eisenhower was not Congress. His intentions are not on trial. And even if the "under God" phrase was added with that intent, that doesn't necessarily translate into law. The Brady Bill was intended to keep guns out of the hands of criminals. Bouvier's 1856 Law Dictionary states: In dubio haec legis constructio quam verba ostendunt. [(When) in doubt, it is the construction of the law which the words make plain (that matters).]

[This message has been edited by Jon Boy (edited November 04, 2002).]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*rolls eyes* Given that Congress was in fact the organization that passed the law intended to promote Christianity, and did so to demonstrate their own god-fearing natures to the electorate, what possible motivations could you ascribe to them OTHER than "establishment?" (Besides pandering, obviously?)

The motives behind any bill are indeed relevant, although I agree that the letter of the law is significant in itself. In this case, I'd argue that the letter of the law, as well, constitutes an establishment of religion, insofar as "under God" is clearly a sentiment expressing subservience to a monotheistic deity.

I'm actually amazed that you don't agree, and fail to understand why. I can't help wondering if there's any text that COULD have been added to the Pledge that you would consider a violation of the First Amendment -- or, barring that, simply rude and offensive to non-believers. I used the example of "under Satan" earlier, which you never actually acknowledged; is that a valid distinction? Does the mention of a SPECIFIC God constitute establishment, or would you be okay with "under Satan" as long as the pledge itself was non-binding? And if a generic god is all it takes to make things okay, why don't you think that the Judeo-Christian adoption of the word "god" for THEIR god (particularly given the intent behind the authors of the bill) makes it obvious that the term is not, in this case, generic in any sense?

[This message has been edited by TomDavidson (edited November 04, 2002).]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

- posted      Profile for Wetchik   Email Wetchik         Edit/Delete Post 
The intent is not to shelter children from a mention of the word "god," but to prevent mentions of the word "god" in official federal documents, mottos, and other institutional settings.

Tom, you said this and it made me wonder how they fooled you. Generally I thought you were smart. I'm sorry but that statement is wrong. The intent IS to shelther children from a mention of the word "God". The fact they make the statement that they don't want it in the their official federal documents, mottos, and other institutional settings is the way they're disguising their real purpose for removing that particular phrase from the pledge. Technically, it is their right to do so because it does create a constitutional contradiction. But, I will not stop practicing my belief that our nation and all others are under God and I will still say under God whenever I recite the pledge. It is my right to do that, just as it is their right not to. I am against this because I am a believer in God, but if the court decides to remove that particular phrase, there is nothing the American people can do about it because the plaintiffs(the atheist MINORITY) finally have an applicable and valid disguise to get rid of the "under God" in out pledge which they have longed to do for years.

[This message has been edited by Wetchik (edited November 14, 2002).]

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

Eisenhower did contradict the first amendment of the constition when the added the "under God". I will not deny the undeniable. He did it to for political reasons.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
So what you're saying, Wetchik, is even though you concede that the presence of the phrase 'under God' is a "Constitutional contradiction," tough beans to "the atheist MINORITY" because you believe in God, and therefore the phrase should remain?

By the way, how do you know that this atheist minority is actually conspiring to keep children from hearing the word "God" by removing it from the pledge? Do you think that they're trying to create little atheists by doing so? Do you really think that having the phrase removed from the Pledge would accomplish this?

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

I believe they're trying to remove what they call "brainwashing" from our schools.
Wetchik
Member # 3609

Honestly, who would spend all this time just because of a few words. The reason is the atheists want it gone is they think it is "brainwasing". I'm not denying that they have the right to remove those words. What I'm arguing is the motive behind them.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

(This is directed at Tom, not Wetchik or MattB.) So you're honestly trying to tell me that the phrase "under God" in the pledge establishes Christianity as the official state religion?

You're still defining god as "monotheistic" or more specifically "Christian." Look up the word in a dictionary. I looked it up in Merriam-Webster, Dictionary.com, and the Oxford English Dictionary, and only the OED acknowledges any real connection of the word to Christianity, saying in the first definition that it has been "modified by the influence of the Christian use." The second definition explicitly defines the word as the Christian God. However, that's still not a clear-cut endorsement of the Christian God.

The fact that you are amazed that I don't agree with you only shows that you can only comprehend your own arguments. It implies that you have a limited worldview and can't understand things that fall outside it. I realize that that's a rather personal attack, but you don't seem averse to using them.

Since you want a response to your "under Satan" argument, here you go: Satan is the name of a specific being. "God" obviously has a much broader definition, as witnessed by any dictionary. Thus, using "under Satan" would show clear favoritism to a particular religion, while "under God," though "modified by the influence of the Christian use" can still be applied to any supreme being or supreme reality, regardless of the personal beliefs of the authors of the bill. And once again, the issue isn't about the phrase being rude or offensive. Nothing in the Bill of Rights says you have the right not to be offended.

I could also point out all of my arguments that you simply ignored, but I would prefer to end this, not drag it out.

[This message has been edited by Jon Boy (edited November 08, 2002).]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Jon, would you endorse changing the phrase "under God" to "under a higher power," to make clearer the generic nature of that hypothetical power?

Wetchik
Member # 3609

Jon, I'm not against you, but it has been proven that when they say under God, the pledge IS referring to the Christian God. I may not like it because of my Christian beliefs, but they can change these things legally without any hindrance. So, I have given up on this. If the minority can bitch to get their way and there is nothing we can do, then there is nothing we can do. There really isn't any reason to argue anymore.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Tom: I wouldn't necessarily endorse changing it to "under a higher power," but I think I would find it more acceptable than removing the phrase "under God" altogether. I think it'd still be more of a victory for people like you.

Wetchik: This is not a nation run by minorities. This is a representative democracy, meaning that it is a government of the people. That boils down to a government of the majority. Is it always fair? No. Is it better than the alternative? You betcha.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

People like me?
Out of interest, what kind of person am I?

Wetchik
Member # 3609

"Wetchik: This is not a nation run by minorities. This is a representative democracy, meaning that it is a government of the people. That boils down to a government of the majority. Is it always fair? No. Is it better than the alternative? You betcha."
You have it all wrong. The majority is the ones who WANT that phrase in the pledge. Only this time, they have no say. Sometimes, democracy doesn't decide things. Authority does. I'm not calling it right, just stating the truth. I'm saying that the majority(which is the people who want the phrase in the pledge) have no say in this whatsoever. This nation might be run by the political majority, but not in this particular case.

[This message has been edited by Wetchik (edited November 05, 2002).]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Tom: By "people like you," I only meant other people who want "under God" taken out. If you really want me to define what kind of person you are (which I wasn't trying to do), I'd say you're a rational humanist.

Wetchik: No, I don't have it all wrong. I know that the majority wants the phrase left in. I am part of that majority. You say that democracy doesn't decide things, authority does. Well, we elected the people in authority (except for the justices, who were appointed by someone we elected). That means we have a say. Elected officials who do things that the electorate doesn't like tend not to be reelected. Of course, this is in the hands of the courts, so it's not directly in the hands of the people. So should we just sit back and let it happen without telling the courts how we feel?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Jon, the question becomes: is the majority always RIGHT? I would argue that the whole reason we have mechanisms to protect the minority and its opinions in this country is that, occasionally, the majority can be wrong.

Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Reading this thread reminds me of why I have never once said the pledge of allegiance.

We have the right not to say it, although conservative elements of the government have, in the past, tried to take that right away too.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

Read my post right please. I said SOMETIMES democracy doesn't decide things. Learn to read things more thoroughly. If I didn't have so much respect of OSC and his site, I would really give you a piece of my mind.

Wetchik
Member # 3609

Tom, to answer your question on whether the majority is right, I will answer it with another question: Has the "Under God" phrase in the pledge ever offended anyone? If they're going to change the pledge fine. I just think that the atheists were using this "constituional contradiction" argument as a cover for what they really want. They really want any mention of religion out of our schools. Their motivation has very little to do with the esablishment clause in the first amendment.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Wetchik: Was your second-to-the-last post directed towards me? I know you said that sometimes the people don't decide things. I was just emphasizing that even though this decision is out of our hands, that doesn't mean we have no voice. Sorry if it seemed like I was misunderstanding you, but it seems you might have misunderstood me too. I really agree with your last post, though. I don't think there's any real consititutional grounds for removing "under God."

Tom: Everybody knows the majority isn't always right. Everybody knows that's why we have checks and balances and elected officials instead of a direct democracy. However, I haven't seen any evidence that shows that the majority is wrong in this instance.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

"I will answer it with another question: Has the 'Under God' phrase in the pledge ever offended anyone?"

Well, just speaking personally, I know it offends ME.

Wetchik
Member # 3609

So Tom, we have to change our country to fit your needs? The government does not revolve around you just because of a small offense to people who do not believe. Where does it say, you must believe in God to be a citizen.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

*laugh* The point is not that we should change "government" to fit my personal needs, but rather that the phrase "under God" is an offensive one that acts as clear proselytization and is intended to be a form of "establishment."

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Funny. I could say that removing "under God" offends me, promotes atheism, and intends to establish a national policy of atheism. I don't see what makes your argument any better than mine.
Wetchik
Member # 3609

Proselytization: Can you please not use this word or tell me what it means?
Atheism is a belief, but not a religious one that that is against the establishment clause. I'm just happy that I was right about your motive. Your motive was not to fix the pledge because of a constitional contradiction, but to remove all religion from schools. You yourself admitted it Tom.

Wetchik
Member # 3609

Tom, one more thing: If you look at how the phrase "under God" was added to the pledge, you will find that Congress had no say in it. It was Eisenhower that made that change independently. So actually, Congress had no say and made no change. Which, by the way, follows the establishment clause in the first amendment. The reason I didn't mention it before was I didn't realize that it was Eisenhower that changed the pledge, not congress.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

*blink* Where did I say I wanted to remove all religion from schools? That said, I'd LOVE to remove all religion from public schools, since I don't think public schools can do a fair job of representing ALL religions without favoring the majority ones; in cases where it's been tried, school boards have decided to remove copies of the Ten Commandments (for example) rather than permit other religions to post similar tenets of their own alongside them.

Frankly, while I have no problem with schools teaching ethics, philosophy, or theology in general, I draw the line at the general advocacy of given religions -- something that I believe the pledge constitutes.

(By the way, Wetchik, Congress DID approve the current text of the Pledge and the addition of "under God" in 1954, although Eisenhower made quite a flowery speech when he signed it into law. The Pledge of Allegiance (and other "official" national mottos and effects) is a legislative thing.)

-----

"I don't see what makes your argument any better than mine."

For one thing, removing something that was added erroneously in the first place should be easier to justify than adding or removing something that has ALWAYS existed. For another, I rush to ask what purpose "under God" serves for you in the pledge, and what harm was done to the beliefs of Christians in this country during the many, many decades in which it was NOT in the pledge.

Here's a useful editorial: http://slate.msn.com/?id=2067499

[This message has been edited by TomDavidson (edited November 05, 2002).]

Wetchik
Member # 3609

Show me proof that congress approved it that part of the pledge. I don't believe you.

I still don't know what proselytization means .

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Tom, you still have no logical grounds for saying that it was erroneous to add it in the first place. You can call it an establishment of religion if you will, but that doesn't make it true. For me, saying "under God" reminds me that we are inherently imperfect and must rely on a higher good. If we don't believe that there is ultimate good and truth, then anyone's opinion becomes just as relevant as anyone else's. When that happens, who's to say what's just and unjust?

Nobody ever said harm was done to Christians before the phrase was added. However, removing the phrase would be a victory for the atheist minority. It would be contrary to the principles of democracy.

Wetchik: "Proselytization" simply means to try to convert others to a belief or doctrine.

[This message has been edited by Jon Boy (edited November 06, 2002).]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Wetchik, ALL national mottos, phrases, and the like are approved by law -- by Congress. Seriously. Check it out.

-------

Jon Boy, that's where you've reached your impasse. You don't grant that the addition of the phrase was a mistake in the first place, and so therefore can't understand why removing it constitutes a fix of that mistake and not some brand-new activism.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

No, I CAN understand why you think it was a mistake, but your reasoning is based on a very specific and limiting definition of "god" which ignores the primary definitions listed in dictionaries and which you use to falsely draw a conclusion of an established religion.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

The REASON I'm going with the definition I am is that it's clearly the definition intended by the framers of the initial law, as evidenced by their own correspondence. Their definition of "god" was CLEARLY not a generic, non-sentient higher power, and I suspect they would have used a similar phrase if that had been their intention.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No, I CAN understand why you think it was a mistake, but your reasoning is based on a very specific and limiting definition of "god" which ignores the primary definitions listed in dictionaries and which you use to falsely draw a conclusion of an established religion.

It really does depend on which dictionaries you reference. Many other online dictionaries draw a specifically monotheistic distinction between the capitalized and non-capitalized forms:e.g., the Cambridge and American Heritage series. It's worth noting that many of the online versions are abbreviated in form, such as the "Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 10th Edition," which you probably accessed at www.m-w.com. If you look at more comprehensive editions in the Webster series, the distinction is more clearly drawn.

(You might enjoy OneLook, an online metatool that references most online dictionaries. However, remember that these are still often limited in application.)

quote:
Funny. I could say that removing "under God" offends me, promotes atheism, and intends to establish a national policy of atheism. I don't see what makes your argument any better than mine.

Hmmm. If I were to want to establish atheism as a national policy, I'd change the pledge to "one nation, under no god." Leaving it open, rather than specifying whether we are or are not united under belief or disbelief, seems to be a non-committal position.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

You've repeatedly contradicted yourself, Tom. First, you asserted that "under God" established Christianity as a de facto national church, which would exclude other monotheists like Jews and Muslims, polytheists, atheists, and others. Now you're saying that it establishes monotheism as a state religion, which would include Christians, Jews, Muslims, Zoroastrians, and probably several other religions I'm not aware of. You can't use opposing arguments to support the same idea.

Plus, you still haven't proven that the pledge establishes any state religion. Here's an example: In addition to a national pledge, we have various other national symbols and whatnot, like a national bird. Does this mean Congress is violating my free speech by telling me that I must favor the eagle over all other birds? No. It's simply Congress's opinion, just like the pledge. It has no legal force to establish a system of beliefs.

Claudia: The disparity among dictionaries only shows that we cannot limit the definition to a Christian God, despite the intentions of the creators of the phrase. If lexicographers can't agree how to define a word, how can we?

Also, I realize that my argument that removing "under God" would establish atheism is rather weak. However, it would acknowledge that the atheist minority has the power to tell the government what to do in some situations. As Orson Scott Card might say (and I'm not saying he agrees with me on the pledge thing, because I don't know), it would bypass Congress and give the courts the power to "amend" the Constitution. Read his latest article "The Rule of Law" on www.ornery.org. (Once again, I'm not trying to drag OSC into this, I'm simply saying that it was a good essay and I think it supports this particular argument of mine.)

[This message has been edited by Jon Boy (edited November 07, 2002).]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

"However, it would acknowledge that the atheist minority has the power to tell the government what to do in some situations."

I suspect, Jon, that this is the major sticking point for you.

Out of interest, why are you opposed to granting atheists and other minorities their constitutional rights? Which right of yours is threatened by this?

---------

As for using "contradictory" examples to support my argument, I was merely making you a small concession by agreeing that "under God" could, most generously, refer only to a generic monotheistic god. However, I think it's clear from the underlying text that this is not the case, and it's intended to specifically refer to the Judeo-Christian God. Even were it broadly interpreted to mean ANY sentient monotheistic god, however, that still eliminates a good portion of the world's religions.

[This message has been edited by TomDavidson (edited November 07, 2002).]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Of course it's a major sticking point. Let's turn the tables. Suppose that a Christian minority was forcing an atheist majority to change something and that you could not see any justification for changing it. How would you feel?

Praytell, what rights are you talking about? The right to not be offended? That's certainly not a right. Your right to practice religion or the lack thereof as you see fit? You've still got that one. And it's not any particular right of mine that's threatened; it's the entire democracy.

What does sentience have to do with the definition of God? I don't recall seeing that in any dictionary. Are you just trying to further restrict the definition?

I'd like to see you respond to the rest of my last post rather than just see you pick at the same things as usual while ignoring the rest.

[This message has been edited by Jon Boy (edited November 07, 2002).]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

"Suppose that a Christian minority was forcing an atheist majority to change something and that you could not see any justification for changing it. How would you feel?"

It depends, I believe, on the situation. Can you give me an equivalent hypothetical? It's actually hard for me to imagine one, as atheism is inherently less of a monolithic force.

For example: not hanging a picture of Jesus in a public school is not an establishment of atheism. On the other hand, hanging a picture of Jesus IS an establishment of Christianity. It's hard for me, as a consequence, to flip the situation around in the same way that it's hard to prove a negative; merely the ABSENCE of something doesn't constitute an endorsement of the negative.

"Praytell, what rights are you talking about?"

Specifically, the right not to have a government seek to establish religion. Expecting patriots to pledge allegiance to a monotheistic god certainly constitutes establishment, IMO.

"What does sentience have to do with the definition of God? I don't recall seeing that in any dictionary."

I'd argue that the concept of god implied by this definition is one that includes the assumption of sentience, and it's one of the reasons that the term "god" is itself questionable. It's the reason the phrase "higher power" or "ultimate force of nature" might be more acceptable to more religions, as it leaves out the connotation of sentient will involved. (Of course, you can argue that both those phrases are clumsy AND ridiculous compromises, and I'll agree; that's one of the reasons no form of the phrase should be in there in the first place.)

------

I was under the impression, by the way, that I HAVE addressed all your pertinent points. Which ones do you feel I've missed?

------

Out of interest, is the REAL issue just that some Christians are unwilling to concede the rightness of this position for fear of creating the impression among some people that atheists have scored some rhetorical "point" by officially reminding the country that we are NOT legally a Christian nation?

[This message has been edited by TomDavidson (edited November 08, 2002).]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Well, what's something that you would feel to be non-atheist-endorsing, but that I would feel to be an endorsement of atheism?

I realize that the mere absence is not endorsement. However, it's the atheist statement made by removal that creates an endorsement.

You have no right not to have government seek to establish religion. The Constitution only says that Congress can't make a law that establishes religion. It says nothing about "seeking" to establish religion, and you still haven't shown that the pledge is a law that establishes religion. No one is expected to say the pledge (at least, not by the government--having someone else expect you to say it doesn't matter in the slightest). Being expected to say the pledge would violate the freedom of speech. Furthermore, you're not pledging allegiance to God. If I remember correctly, the pledge goes "I pledge allegiance to the FLAG . . . and to the REPUBLIC for which it stands." Saying that the republic is under God is not swearing allegiance to God.

And once again, with your definition, you're making all sorts of assumptions. You're loading the word "god" full of meaning and then using that meaning to say that the phrase is illegal. Your definition is completely subjective and is not conveyed by the word itself unless one chooses to see that definition.

As to my previous arguments, how about the second paragraph of the post I mentioned? And how about the third paragraph in my post from November 4, 6:50 PM, and my post from November 3, 9:13 PM?

As I've said before, I'd really rather just end this. It's going absolutely nowhere, but whenever I say something like "Let's just keep our own beliefs and go on with our lives," you just keep the argument going.

[This message has been edited by Jon Boy (edited November 08, 2002).]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

I'm confused. I looked at the paragraphs you referenced, and didn't see any specific points there, especially not ones that demanded rebuttal or response. Could you restate them, if you felt they were relevant?

----

I'd argue that swearing allegiance to a republic UNDER god implies that the republic is, in fact, subservient to god, and that one's allegiance is owed to god by way of the republic "beneath" it.

-----

As for my definition of "god" being subjective: as I've pointed out, I'm using not only one of the dictionary definitions BUT the dictionary definition clearly intended by the framers of the original bill. You continue to argue that intent is irrelevant; I'd say that in this case -- establishing a working definition -- intent is VERY relevant, as the best way to figure out the intended meaning of a multifaceted word is to look at the intentions of the people who used it.

-----

I'd say you've already come up with something that I don't consider an endorsement of atheism, but which you do: the removal of an endorsement of Christianity. I've already given several reasons why this does NOT constitute an endorsement of atheism, but I'll try to present the concept one more time.

Let's assume, just for a moment, that Christians did in fact get a law passed that was grossly unfair -- even by your standards -- to the other religions of this country. Atheists successful lobby the courts to have this law struck down. Is this an endorsement of atheism?

------

Finally, I think you're drawing an artificial line between "establishment" and "seeking establishment." As you've pointed out, the government could actually do a LOT of things that wouldn't technically "establish" a state religion but would nevertheless make life very uncomfortable for minority religions -- like, say, requiring Christian theology classes in public high schools. From a strict interpretation, these theology classes wouldn't actually PREVENT people from worshipping another God, and thus might not be considered "establishment" -- but the courts have clearly indicated that they're close enough to establishment in intent that they're not permitted. I'd argue that the phrase "under God" is in much the same vein, and that the theoretically optional nature of the pledge (which has itself been established only by court order, mind you) is little defense.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I probably shouldn’t post here, I’ll probably just muck things up, but, I’m a Christian, and I’m embarrassed.
A. “One nation, under God” does refer to the Christian God, you know this, it’s the reason you’re fighting to keep it in. While there are many other monotheistic religions, non of them refers to their god as God. Only Christians have the capital G out front. Also, I hope, if you are Christian and truly believe that it refers to any god, that you are not saying the pledge with under God in it, because that is tantamount to worshipping idols.
B. “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.” Regardless of whether or not “under God” refers to the Christian God, or any monotheistic god, it is still a breach of the Constitution. And should be taken out if only for that reason.

[Edit: because I was stupid]

[This message has been edited by blacwolve (edited November 09, 2002).]

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"The fact that the lawsuit ever got to court is demonstrative of how far our nation has strayed form God, we are no longer a nation under God..."

So you believe that we were only a nation under God from 1954 to 2001?

blacwolve
Member # 2972

Sorry, I knew I would say something wrong. I doubt we were ever under God, especially not in the fifties when this was put in. I'm just sort of angry that this ever became an issue, that they put it in, and that now we have to take it out. And that everyone's making such a big deal about it. That's what I was trying to say, but that's not the way it turned out. Sorry.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Actually, I'M sorry. I didn't mean to sound so hostile -- or so sarcastic. You're entitled to your opinion, and you were nothing but polite in voicing it, and I was harsher than you deserved.

It's just that, to my mind, America's actually a REMARKABLY moral and moralistic country, and I have little patience for the claim that we're somehow sliding into Hell. America goes through phases of devout fundamentalism and relative agnosticism, and I think we're actually heading into a fundamentalist period at the moment; as a result, it's hard for me to sympathize with anyone who thinks we're backsliding.

[This message has been edited by TomDavidson (edited November 09, 2002).]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Tom: Here are the arguments that you obviously see no relevancy in.
1. How does the pledge establish a state religion? How does it have any legal force to establish a national system of beliefs, especially when no one is forced to say it?

2. Your system of logic is based on a different fundamental truth than mine is. I can understand the rationale for your arguments, but you don't seem to understand mine. No matter what argument I use, you immediately perceive it as illogical and inconsequential. Thus, as long as we have opposing worldviews, this argument will go in circles as we debate the meanings of words, something that can never be defined to satisfaction. We could cut through all the layers and try to prove or disprove that God exists, but then we'd really be at an impasse because logic doesn't really apply at that point.

3. You are misinterpreting the first amendment. You say that intent is more important than definition when it comes to the pledge, but then you base your definition of "establishment" and court interpretations, not on the intent behind the law.

"I'd argue that swearing allegiance to a republic UNDER god implies that the republic is, in fact, subservient to god, and that one's allegiance is owed to god by way of the republic 'beneath' it."
Now you're basing an argument on a subjective interpretation of "under." This argument has no logical foundation.

"intent is VERY relevant"
Interesting that you say that. As you probably know, between the beginning of the Reformation and the founding of America, England underwent a series of civil wars as different religions sought to gain control of the government. This led to many people leaving England and settling in America. When the Bill of Rights was written, it was decided that messes of that sort should be avoided. Thus, they included a law preventing Congress from establishing religion or preventing its free exercise. Since the pledge has no legal force to establish religion, it cannot violate the first amendment. The pledge is simply Congress's opinion, just like any other national emblem. It reflects the beliefs of the majority, who believe that this is a nation under God.

"Atheists successful lobby the courts to have this law struck down. Is this an endorsement of atheism?"
No. If the law is unfair, then it should be struck down. However, you cannot prove to me that the pledge in its current state is unfair, because your entire argument is based on definitions of words. Also, I see no one suffering or losing rights because of the pledge. Being offended and feeling like the government is telling you what to believe (based on the way you interpret some words) are not the loss of rights.

Now it's my turn to ask you: What exactly are my standards, in your opinion? Judging by many of the things you've said, you seem to hold them in disdain. I'd like to know what you actually think my standards are.

blacwolve: Are you accusing me of idol worship?

[This message has been edited by Jon Boy (edited November 09, 2002).]

blacwolve
Member # 2972

I sounded just like the arrogant Christians I was trying not to be. I totally understand your response, I reread it and winced, I probably would have responded the same way, I disagreed with half of it, myself. I'm still not quite sure how I ended up writing it.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

If you truly believe that God refers to the god of any religion, then, yes I am.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Interesting question. Do I believe that the word "God" in the pledge refers to all gods of all religions? No. *I* believe it refers to the god of my specific religion. I perceive God a certain way. People of different religions or philosophies perceive God a different way, so they see it as the god of a their own religion. That doesn't mean that I agree with those perceptions of God. I assure you that I'm not an idol worshipper.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Hmmm... I guess I'm more stringent than most people. I understand what you're saying, I just don't see it in the same way. An interesting idea.
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.