FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » "I Pledge Allegiance..." (Page 5)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: "I Pledge Allegiance..."
Wetchik
Member # 3609

- posted      Profile for Wetchik   Email Wetchik         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I just get a little too involved sometimes. I really dislike the man who took this case to court! His name is Micheal Newdow and he lives a few miles from me in Elk Grove, CA. I want to move! jk. So forgive me if I got a little harsh. 5 pages! At this rate we will catch up with the peek a boo thread in another month!

[This message has been edited by Wetchik (edited November 20, 2002).]

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy,

Regarding the question of whether belief in God is equated with patriotism, refer back to my first post.

The President of the United States said that he "didn't think atheists could be considered citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."

All this flag waving and "God bless America" stuff isn't trivial. It's why "godless commies" were investigated by the "committee of unamerican activities" and, as Chris pointed out, it's why "under God" was added in the first place.

I have often wondered how frequently "hate crimes" are acted against atheists. I was beat up as a kid for my atheism. (but it didn't have anything to do with patriotism) As you pointed out, if you aren't on the recieving end, you might not notice it. But it's everywhere.

I am bewildered by the opinion that "Congress shall make no law RESPECTING the establishment of religion" is INTERPRETED to mean merely that congress shall not establish a state religion. First, Jon Boy argues against the SCOTUS interpreting the constitution, and then wetchik argues that all the 1st means is that congress shall not establish a state religion. If that's what they meant to say, then why didn't they just say it?

The word establishment means "the act of establishing or condition of being established" (American Heritage). The 1954 law established the words "under god" in the pledge. How on earth anybody can think that's in accordance with the constitution, is beyond me.

Congress made a law. That's not in question. And that law establishes the words "under god" in an officially sanctioned pledge. It doesn't matter whether the "pledge" is unconstitutional, the LAW is unconstitutional.

Wetchik, Micheal Newdow is a hero to most atheists. He didn't start this, congress did. In fact, Red Skelton's famous comment about "I hope they don't call the pledge a prayer, so they can't say it in school" only indicates that theists knew it was questionable language, back in the 1960's. For us, this thing has been festering for too long. In my opinion, Micheal Newdow did the right thing.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You are comparing something like this to black discrimination and womens suffrage?
Actually I specifically said I did not consider the Pledge to be anywhere near teir company, I was using them to illustrate my point on the majority determining was was "right."
quote:
You were right when you said it was wrong to put "under God" in 1954, but to take it out now would only mean one thing: Atheists and agnostics want to get "brainwashing" out of our schools.
Not to me. To me it would mean redressing a wrong. Or are you saying that once a wrong is institutionalized we should just let it stay?
For the record, I'm not worried about my kids being brainwashed, possibly because I think they're both smarter than that. Whatever religious choice they end up making will be on their own.

quote:
You're saying something is a right if you (or others) fight or die for it. So basically, if I attack someone with a gun and I kill him, then I had the right to do so because I was willing to fight for it. I think you're confusing the words "right" and "freedom."
Actually I don't believe in rights at all. I do believe in ideals. The end result is the same, and an outside observer wouldn't see anything different between your rights and my ideals. The difference, a subtle one, is that yours can never be taken away, they can only be hampered. You're starting from the ground state of a full complement of rights at birth. I tend to see humans as a mammal with a bigger brain, with no more "inherent" rights than any other creature other than what we decide, as thinking creatures, to claim for ourselves.

quote:
Anyway, we're drifting completely off the subject, so let's save that discussion for another day.
Agreed. It could (and has) very easily become a long thread of its own.

quote:
"Does the pledge violate the Constitution?
In my opinion, no."

Then what are you even arguing for? If you say it's constitutional but morally wrong, then you should be trying to convince me why your morals are right, from which it would follow that we need to further amend the Constitution.

Because one of the thrusts of this whole thread seemed to me to be "it's constitutional, so you should just accept it." I refuse to accept it as it still seems unethical and needlessly divisive to me, I simply don't think that fighting it the way the jerk in the lawsuit did because that way is even worse.
If I see something that seems to me to be an injustice, I feel obligated to point out why. The fact that I'm sure it will ever be redressed is besides the point.

quote:
"I must wonder how binding it was."

It's not binding at all. It's just a pledge.

That part was sarcasm, based on my belief that the collective mind of the US at that time was impaired.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

The pledge is not law. It was not a law that changed the pledge. A law exists to show what is right and wrong in the people's eyes. I don't think the pledge does that. I am appalled to see that you are calling the pledge law when it is patriotic statement. The context that "established" was stated in the first amendment is a noun, not an action. And, your definition of established is one of many. By the way, your definition does not match the context. Read my post again please.
Here is what it said:
If organization(noun) and institution(noun) are synonyms of establishment(noun), and the pledge is neither an organization nor an institution, then the pledge is not an establishment.
How did you get "congress shall not establish a state religion" as my interpretation? I never said that. Also, respect in that context means "in regards to." I can't believe this would turn into a basic grammar debate but if this is how I have to show you that you misunderstood me horribly, then so be it.

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Glenn: Yes, I'm aware that some people equate faith with patriotism. I believe that those people do not reflect the views of the majority.

"First, Jon Boy argues against the SCOTUS interpreting the constitution."

No, I argued against them changing its meaning through their interpretation. Maybe I wasn't entirely clear. If they can judge the constitutionality of laws, then they have to interpret what the Constitution says in order to decide if the law is in accordance.

"If that's what they meant to say, then why didn't they just say it?"

That IS what it says. Congress shall not make a law that deals with the establishment of religion. How is that unclear?

"That law establishes the words 'under god' in an officially sanctioned pledge."

You're misusing the word "establish." Remember that when used with religion, "establishment" means something more specific.

Chris:

"I tend to see humans as a mammal with a bigger brain, with no more 'inherent' rights than any other creature."

I really don't see how that goes together with your belief in ideals, but I really don't want to get into that.

And I'm really not trying to say, "It's constitutional, so you should just accept it." I'm saying that I sincerely don't believe it's wrong, and I believe the Constitution backs me up.

"That part was sarcasm, based on my belief that the collective mind of the US at that time was impaired."

I suspected it was sarcasm, but I treated it as a serious statement because I wasn't quite sure. I think the collective mind of the U.S. is impaired right now. I suppose history will prove which of us was right.

[This message has been edited by Jon Boy (edited November 20, 2002).]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Wetchik: I also think it's pretty sad that this is just degenerating into an argument about what words mean. It seems like most arguments boil down to that, though. It's like that question, "If a tree falls and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" People can go on for hours about that, but they're just talking in circles.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

Would you agree that "a religious establishment" and "an establishment of religion" are the same thing?

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Wetchik - Your argument seems to me to be an attempt to prove, through grammar, that the pledge is constitutional. I have already said, several times now, that I also believe it is. That does not change the fact that I feel it is wrong. Of course, changing it back would also be constitutional.

I don't believe I have insinuated at any point that the Pledge is law, and I'm a bit confused where that popped up.

My point was, and is, that for the first 50 years of its existence the Pledge could be said, with pride and without omitting any words, by any American. The last 50 years it could not. So far I've seen no reason why this should be considered right.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

I'm sorry, I was directing that toward everyone, not just you. Sorry man, honestly.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

No worries, multi-arguments get confusing when I can't tell whom you're typing to
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Wetchik,
No, an establishment of religion and a religious establishment are not the same. Even the arguments against separation of church and state regard the 1st as limiting the government's ability to "establish" a state religion. That's a verb, not a noun.

Regarding the tediousness of arguing over what words mean, that's precisely why the SCOTUS "interprets" the constitution. You and I look at the same words, and we see different meanings.

The justices are supposed to be well educated enough in legal history and the convention of legal language to be able to determine what the law means in the context in question. That's what interpreting means. The history of the 1st includes many references by the authors of the constitution that make this issue more clear than the circular arguments going on here. The 9th district ruling was not made for political expediency, that's for sure.

Chris,

I think the thread is muddled enough, that our wires are getting crossed. I am arguing that the 1954 law that established the words "under God" as part of the pledge is unconstitutional. If you're getting accused of arguing that the pledge is unconstitutional, it's probably because someone is not addressing their responses to me.

Jon Boy:

"That IS what it says. Congress shall not make a law that deals with the establishment of religion. How is that unclear?"

It's not. Go back and look at my original post, where I said that the arguments for overturning the 9th district ruling were based on the idea that "under god" is not religious lauguage. If God isn't a religious concept, then adding "under God" isn't a violation, if it is, then Congress made a law that deals with the establishment of religion. Therefore, it's unconstitutional.

'That law establishes the words 'under god' in an officially sanctioned pledge.'

You're misusing the word 'establish.' Remember that when used with religion, 'establishment' means something more specific."

I'm using the dictionary definition, My dictionary doesn't mention religion at all.

Establishment: 1. the act of establishing or condition of being established 2. A business or firm including it's members, staff and possessions. 3 an exclusive or powerful group in control of society or a field of activity.

Establish: 1. To make firm or secure 2 To settle securely in a position. 3. To cause to be recognized or accepted. 4. To found or create.

It seems you are trying to use definition 2 above and calling religion a business. I couldn't agree more on that topic, but regarding the constitution, it's clear that the word establishment is a verb, not a noun. Otherwise they would have said: "Congress shall make no law respecting religious establishments." or "Congress shall not establish a state religion."

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

Read my previous post again please Glenn. The constitution does not say esablish(verb), it says establishment(noun). How could you say the word establishment is not a noun? Establishment being a verb is grammatically impossible and therefore, so is your argument. Could you say, "I'm going to esablishment you!"? Find a context where establishment is a verb. My dictionary even says "noun" right next to the word establishment. If you think establishment is verb, you need to take some english classes.
Wetchik
Member # 3609

Defintion of establish(verb)

To set up; found. See Synonyms at found1.
To bring about; generate: establish goodwill in the neighborhood.

To place or settle in a secure position or condition; install: They established me in my own business.
To make firm or secure.
To cause to be recognized and accepted: a discovery that established his reputation.
To introduce and put (a law, for example) into force.
To prove the validity or truth of: The defense attorneys established the innocence of the accused.
To make a state institution of (a church).

Establishment(noun)[only a noun, can't be a verb]
es·tab·lish·ment ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-stblsh-mnt)
n.

The condition or fact of being established.
Something established, as:
An arranged order or system, especially a legal code.
A permanent civil, political, or military organization.
An established church.
A place of residence or business with its possessions and staff.
A public or private institution, such as a hospital or school.
often Establishment An established social order, as:
A group of people holding most of the power and influence in a government or society. Often used with the.
A controlling group in a given field of activity. Often used with the.

[This message has been edited by Wetchik (edited November 21, 2002).]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Chris you spoke of mathematical logic earlier, well here is some of mine:
1. If, organization and institution are synonyms of establishment, and the pledge is neither an organization nor an institution, then the pledge is not an establishment."

I'm not at all sure that this is true, Wetchik. Your logic would mean that the national motto could be "America: Land for Christians Only" and it wouldn't be unconstitutional.

Furthermore, I thought I'd pointed out earlier in this thread -- and you had already accepted -- that the pledge IS law. The Pledge of Allegiance HAS been signed into law. Really. Legislative branch and everything. Presidential signature. It's a law.

[This message has been edited by TomDavidson (edited November 21, 2002).]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

But that's not what we're arguing Tom. We are arguing whether or not the pledge is a religious establishment. I belive it isn't, so therefore, even if it is a law, it is not a law "in respect to an establishment of religion."(first amendment)

[This message has been edited by Wetchik (edited November 21, 2002).]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Glenn: There are several definitions of the word "establishment." Wetchik listed a bunch of definitions of "establish," one of which is "to make a state institution (of a church)." The pledge does not make a state institution of a church. Sorry if your dictionary lacks that particular definition, but it's logical to use the meaning that fits best.

Tom: Wetchik's logic still doesn't allow a motto like "America: Land for Christians Only" because that motto would violate the first amendment in a different way. It would abridge the free exercise of religion by non-Christians.

Wetchik
Member # 3609

Good point.
Wetchik
Member # 3609

Tom, are you trying to say that since the pledge is a supposed law in respect to the established religion of christianity, then it is a constitutional contradiction? If you are, then I might as well give up because we could argue whether the pledge is law or not all day long.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

The issue isn't even whether it's a law or not; the issue is whether (assuming it is a law) it respects the establishment of religion. Since the resolution that added "under God" did not respect the establishment of religion (meaning the most logical definition: the creation of a state church), but only respected the alteration of the pledge, it didn't violate the Constitution.

[This message has been edited by Jon Boy (edited November 21, 2002).]

Wetchik
Member # 3609

The Constitution doesn't say congress shall not make laws in respect to THE establishment of religion. It says congress shall not make laws in respect to AN establishment(meaning existing establishment) of religion. 2 different meanings.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Wetchik's logic still doesn't allow a motto like 'America: Land for Christians Only' because that motto would violate the first amendment in a different way. It would abridge the free exercise of religion by non-Christians."

I'm surprised you would argue this, Jon. If the national motto were "American: Land for Christians Only," but no other laws were passed to prevent non-Christians from worshipping their pagan deities, how would that abridge the free exercise of religion for non-Christians?

Surely that's not establishment or abridgement, right? Surely it's just a statement by the majority that they believe this is a Christian country, and that non-Christians don't matter -- but since no actual laws are passed ENFORCING this, surely that's not a problem?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Tom: Have you now resorted to attacking side issues only? You haven't had any meaningful arguments in a while. I'll answer your questions when they're relevant.

Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon, you are totally wrong.

What Tom mentions there is *exactly* the issue. A national motto that says, "America, for christians only" but has no laws that prohibit non christians from living here is a very good analogy for a pledge that says "one nation under god" but doesn't require that the sayers of the pledge actually worship a god.

I fear that YOU are the one who hasn't had anything new to add for a while.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Jon,
Ok, I looked in some other dictionaries, and found references to establishing religions.

Wetchik,
Your dictionary says "can't be a noun"? baloney.
I gave you my reference, American Heritage.
Here's another:
Websters unabridged. Establishment 1. The ACT of establishing etc.
Yes. Websters talks about establishing state religions under "establishmentarianism" as well as some references in establishment, but they are examples of the meaning. The example: "the establishment of a state church" could just as easily have been "the establishment of a state postal service"

In either case, it's a verb, as described by Webster's first definition, "The ACT of establishing"

Verb: any of class of words functioning to express existence, action, or occurrence. (American Heritage)

I guess you would say "run" is not a verb, because you can say "I had a good run today" And no, I couldn't say "I'm going to RUN you" either. Does that mean run isn't a verb?

The constitution isn't talking about religion that has been established, it is talking about whether congress can establish religion. The 1st prohibits congress from acting to establish religion.

Answer me this question: Can you honestly say that the 1954 law inserting "under God" into the Pledge did not "establish" "under God" as part of the Pledge?

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Slash: No, what Tom mentioned isn't the issue. The issue is the constitutionality of "under God" in the pledge, not the constitutionality of hypothetical situations like that. It's too much of a stretch to say that a motto like "America, for Christians only" is analogous to a pledge with "under God." I haven't added anything new for a while because no one has brought up any new, relevant arguments in a while.

Glenn: I think Wetchik is saying that "establish" isn't a noun, and he's right. Some verbs like "run" are also nouns. "Run" is an intransitive verb, so that's why you can't say "I'm going to run you."

"Can you honestly say that the 1954 law inserting 'under God' into the Pledge did not 'establish' 'under God' as part of the Pledge?"

You're confusing the issue here. You're saying that establishing ("putting into law") "under God" in the pledge is the same as establishing ("making a state institution of") a church. (I got those from http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=establish, definitions 4 and 6.) You're trying to apply transitive logic, but it doesn't work here.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

"It's too much of a stretch to say that..."

Why?

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
It may be minor hyperbole to believe something like Tom proposed would exist, Jon Boy, but it's still a farely consistent analogy.

A motto is a brief statement made to express a principle, goal or ideal. A pledge is guarantee of allegiance by a solemn binding promise. In my mind it would actually be WORSE to recite the pledge of allegiance, which is like a verbal contract with the government, stating that it was under a deity I did not believe existed or had any affiliation with the government than it would be to simply live in a country that had a maxim attached to it giving the rest of the world the impression that I'm something I know that I'm not.

One is simply influencing the opinions of those who hear it whereas the other is a heartfelt expression of how YOU feel.

Tom's example is actually the lesser of two evils, and in my mind makes the point perfectly.

[This message has been edited by Ralphie (edited November 22, 2002).]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
No more dodging, Jon.
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

"Tom's example is actually the lesser of two evils, and in my mind makes the point perfectly."

We're not talking about evils here. We're talking about whether the pledge is legal in its current state.

"No more dodging, Jon."

You guys are the ones trying to circumvent the real issue with hypothetical situations, distorted definitions, and faulty logic. You're trying to lead me off the subject, pin me down, make me say something that you think supports you, and then claim you've won. It ain't gonna happen.

Wetchik
Member # 3609

WRONG! This is to everyone who thinks the that the word "establishment" in the first amendment is a verb. Find an example of a verb that follows the words "an" or "a". The word that follows an is always, ALWAYS a noun. Ask any english proffesor(not a HS teacher because they are not that smart....besides mine! ) Congress shall not make a law respecting "AN" establishment of religion. Anybody who says establishment in that context is a verb is fool. Also, using run as an example for a counterargument to mine doesn't work because run is irregular. Establishment is not. After all, can you say, "I'm going to act an establishment?"
"No more dodging Jon."
I believe it is you that is dodging Jon and I by arguing things I have already proven wrong. If you want to say you won and all that, fine. You win. But you are not correct on this particular issue.

[This message has been edited by Wetchik (edited November 22, 2002).]

Wetchik
Member # 3609

In no way is establishment a verb in the first amendment. Sorry Jon, I know this even contradicts your argument too but that is my position.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Wetchik: Do YOU believe that the phrase "America: For Christians Only" would be a constitutionally-acceptable motto for this country? If not, why not?

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Wetchik: What in the heck are you saying? I'm not arguing with you. I KNOW "establishment" is a noun. I AGREED with you when you said "establish" is a verb. I'm an EDITOR, for crying out loud. Don't even try to argue about language with me. Go back and reread what I said. I really don't know where you got the idea that I'm arguing with you.

Tom: What's this now? Jon Boy won't play your games, so you're trying to pin down someone else?

Wetchik
Member # 3609

Tom:

Since the first amendment states that congress cannot make a law that benefits an etablishment of religion, and your theoretical motto would benefit Christianity, then I would say no. I see your point. Your theoretical motto, if it was required to recite it like the pledge is now, would be a violation. The fact that there are recitation requirements on the pledge now is a violation. But the actual words of the pledge are not. I fail to see how the phrase "under God" benefits Christianity over other religions in this country. I hope this answers your question. Do you want to know why I even have this position? It's because of the reason why this is even a legal issue. It is an attack on Christianity. If it is removed, that is what everyone will think. Give me a reason you want it removed besides calling "under God" brainwashing or an all out attack on all forms of religion in our country. You want to hear an interesting fact? Guess where all of our country's morals came from? When the Constitution was being written, Continental Congress was using the Bible as a cross-reference. So, if you do remove "In God We Trust" off of our money and remove the phrase in the pledge, it will have done little to remove all influences of religion in out country. I think that is your motive for doing this. Ok, I'll stop, I got way off into a tangent sorry.

[This message has been edited by Wetchik (edited November 23, 2002).]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Sorry. I shouldn't have been that harsh. I overrreacted. I was just a little bewildered to see you telling me that I was wrong even though I was agreeing with you. No hard feelings?
Wetchik
Member # 3609

None at all .
Wetchik
Member # 3609

By the way Tom, "under God" is a lot less graphic and specific than "America: For Christians Only." I know it was theoretical, but still, that is a little much comparing a small phrase to that.
Wetchik
Member # 3609

How does the "under God" phrase effect you Tom? Is it really that offensive to you? I think you just wanted the "under God" removed and you finally found a valid and applicable disguise for your true motive. I don't think you care if it is a violation of the 1st, I think you just want to use that just to get the "under God" out of the pledge. If you really get into it, then we should talk about what they teach about the evolution THEORY(not proven by any means) in school involuntarily.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Jon, I'm ignoring you because you not only don't make any original points, but because you don't recognize the validity of the one I've just made. Rather than insist that you absolutely MUST agree -- a madman's game, I'm sure you'll admit -- I'm interested in seeing whether Wetchik feels the same way.

Wetchik's support of the Pledge seems much more fragile than yours, and based largely on -- of all things -- dictionary definitions. Obviously, that kind of Constitutional interpretation is so narrow as to be useless, and I believe a demonstration of its uselessness is in order.

By arguing that a national motto cannot, BY DEFINITION, violate the Bill of Rights (due to its lack of general enforcement and "establishment"), Wetchik implies that the content of the motto is absolutely irrelevant to its constitutionality. Therefore, a phrase which would be blatantly unconstitutional in another legislative act -- like "America: For Christians Only" -- would be acceptable as a motto, since a motto cannot constitute establishment or infringement.

Even the phrase "America: Only Rich White Landowners Can Vote" would be constitutional, because -- while untrue and in opposition to the spirit of the Constitution itself -- it would not be legally binding and thus neither an establishment nor an infringement.

Your reaction to this argument is apparently to dismiss it altogether as a "side issue" irrelevant to the discussion. From what I understand of your posts, your position seems to be that "America: For Christians Only" is BLATANTLY offensive, and thus infringement -- but "under God" is NOT, for some reason, and is thus constitutional. I find this a little incoherent, to be honest, as infringement has nothing to do with blatant offense. If "under God" is constitutional only -- as you and Wetchik have argued -- because the Pledge does not count as "establishment," surely "America: For Christians Only" passes the exact same standard, as it ALSO -- by Wetchik's own dictionary definitions -- is not "establishment."

---------

Okay, I wrote all that while Wetchik was posting a flurry of new information. Here's my reply:

Your response -- that a motto counts as "establishment" if it's designed to promote a specific religion -- is PRECISELY the logic used by the Federal Circuit Court when it ruled to remove the phrase "under God" from the Pledge. Ample documentation was provided, as I've said before on this thread, that the motivation behind the inclusion of this phrase was the SPECIFIC promotion of Christianity. Moreover, the defense of the phrase even today often takes the form of Christian support; you'll notice that members of non-Judeo-Christian religions are suspiciously rare in the pro-pledge camp. The Circuit Court found that, given one of the specific meanings of a capitalized "God" in our society and the specific intent of the framers, the phrase "under God" WAS clearly intended to promote Christianity. By your own admission, and by the same logic used by the court, this constituted "establishment."

"Guess where all of our country's morals came from? When the Constitution was being written, Continental Congress was using the Bible as a cross-reference."

They actually used SEVERAL texts as cross-references, but I'll certainly concede that the Founding Fathers were familiar with the Bible and generally accepting of its codes of behavior. Given that the vast majority of the moral codes provided in the Bible predate the Bible by literally thousands of years, however, I think this kind of logic is more than a little dodgy. Moreover, this argument specifically consists of the "America was founded as a Christian nation, no matter what the Constitution says, so you're attacking the foundation of the country if you want to change that" claim which is, at its heart, not only flawed but also potentially harmful.

I can't help but note that both you and Jon Boy oppose the removal of "under God" because you worry that it would constitute a "victory" for atheists seeking to expunge God from government altogether; give 'em an inch on a reasonable argument, the logic seems to be, and who knows how far those atheists will go?

This is a perfect example of a slippery slope fallacy -- and, moreover, a very simplistic and somewhat vilified portrayal of non-Christians in this country.

[This message has been edited by TomDavidson (edited November 23, 2002).]

Wetchik
Member # 3609

OK OK OK. Fine, I'll rephrase, I BELIEVE it to be immoral and blatantly offensive as well. I still say "under God is not. I'm not basing my argument on dictionary definitions. I was arguing that specific point at that specific time. That is not my main argument.
Wetchik
Member # 3609

The difference Tom, is that the american people(represented by congress) voted for the pledge to be changed. You yourself have agreed that the plede is constitional. And the people agreed. Nobody would vote for "America: Land for Christians Only." It's called democracy. It seems you believe that the constitution is the country's authoritive inanimate dictator.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

"Nobody would vote for 'America: Land for Christians Only.'"

Here, again, you're wrong. At the moment, I live in downstate Illinois -- and I specifically picked that phrase because, in an argument I recently had with a very Baptist shopkeeper, she suggested that we change our national motto to PRECISELY that phrase.

Why? Because America was founded on Christian principles, because America will remain strong only as long as its people are strong in Christ, and because it hurts the souls of the good Christians in this country to have to associate with people who are hurling themselves head-first into Hell. We should kick out all the non-Christians, or at least make sure they can't vote; phrases like "under God" and "In God We Trust" keep people reminded of how important God is, she argued, and keep all the hell-bound in their place.

She pointed out that most of the country feels the way she does; after all, everyone she voted for on the local ticket won, as did her state and congressional reps (but not governor) -- and, after all, the country's got a born-again President (the son of another good Christian) who knows and loves God. And we'll be a great country as long as he still does.

In fact, she pointed out, the best thing the country could do is put Christ in charge; after all, with all the non-Christians gone, how could anything bad happen to God's own country?

Lest you think I'm exaggerating, I want to reiterate that these were her EXACT opinions. And they're not rare down here, either. It's not some weird, wacko minority. A LOT of people throughout the Midwest feel this way, and a lot of politicians feel compelled to pander to them -- even if they don't feel so devout themselves. (Consider the ridiculously unanimous vote to condemn the Circuit Court's decision on the Pledge, which is completely unprecedented in history; Congress never saw fit to unanimously condemn ANY judicial decision in HISTORY, even the obviously bad ones like the Dred Scott case -- but they DID condemn this one, because to not appear to be a Christian zealot in this country is the kiss of death, politically.)

-------

BTW, I don't agree that the Pledge is constitutional; I just agree that by only the dictionary definitions you've provided, the Pledge would seem to be constitutional -- regardless of its content. Luckily, I'm not quite so narrow in my interpretation of the Constitution.

[This message has been edited by TomDavidson (edited November 23, 2002).]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

"Jon, I'm ignoring you because you not only don't make any original points, but because you don't recognize the validity of the one I've just made."

I never claimed they were original. I only claimed they were logical. And as for the validity of your point, we could make up hypothetical situations that could be used to logically argue that just about everything is illegal.

"From what I understand of your posts, your position seems to be that 'America: For Christians Only' is BLATANTLY offensive, and thus infringement -- but 'under God' is NOT, for some reason, and is thus constitutional.

I never said that constitutionality was based on offensiveness, and I never said that "under God" offends no one. I've repeatedly stated that being offended is completely irrelevant. I do believe that "under God" does not constitute the establishment of religion. I believe that a motto like "For Christians Only" would prohibit the free exercise of religion.

"I can't help but note that both you and Jon Boy oppose the removal of 'under God' because you worry that it would constitute a 'victory' for atheists seeking to expunge God from government altogether."

I also oppose it because I believe the Supreme Court has assumed far more power than they ever should have had, and I believe it is leading to abuse.

Wetchik said: "It seems you believe that the constitution is the country's authoritive inanimate dictator."

Actually, I would say (somewhat jokingly, of course) that you believe that the Supreme Court is the country's authoritive dictator. Obviously, the court's opinion of the Constitution is authoritative. Also, court rulings can only be overturned by further court rulings, so this power is unchecked. The court can change the original meaning of the Constitution however they like and use that to strike down or allow things that wouldn't have been struck down or allowed in the past. If the first amendment is really that vague or inapplicable in modern times, then we need further amendment.

[This message has been edited by Jon Boy (edited November 23, 2002).]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

"I do believe that 'under God' does not constitute the establishment of religion. I believe that a motto like 'For Christians Only' would prohibit the free exercise of religion."

Why? How does "For Christians Only" substantially prevent non-Christians from practicing their religion?

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Jon Boy,

Court rulings can be overturned by amending the constitution. Don't forget that.

I know I'm going to get an argument from Jon Boy here, but the fact is that the SCOTUS has found that teacher led prayer in public schools violates the 1st, because it coerces students to pray. I know of three such cases, and only one was brought by an atheist. The other two (bringing a clergyman in to speak at a graduation and providing a microphone for students to say a prayer before a football game) were brought by religious minorities in their given communities.

The SCOTUS' argument is that the school is government agency, and that leading a prayer establishes a religious environment that the students are forced to participate in.

Now, my particular feeling on these rulings is that they are questionable, for a couple of reasons: One, school isn't congress. That's basic wording. two, it violates the teacher's freedom to practice his/her religion, especially when, as in christianity, prostyletizing is considered a requirement.

But the pledge is much more clear cut. You refuse to answer whether the law established "under god" as part of the pledge, because you want your meaning of establishment to be the only meaning possible. Not only is this not the case, but it's not the primary meaning listed in my two dictionaries, and it's not the meaning used by the SCOTUS. Likewise, there is no religious requirement to say the Pledge of Allegiance.

History is against you. Unfortunately, politics is with you. Now which argument do you think they'll use, de minimus, or ceremonial deism?

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Tom: It would seem that you're still trying to lead me off on some "analogy" in an effort to get me to contradict myself.

Glenn: I realize that a new amendment would negate previous court rulings. However, don't you think it would be more logical to remove ambiguity from the Constitution and THEN let the court make its rulings?

I did answer whether the law "established" "under God" as part of the pledge. Look at the last paragraph of my post at 4:19 PM on November 22. You're trying to use the word "establish" to mean two different things: putting something into law and making a state institution of a church. Whether it's the primary definition doesn't matter--it's whether it's the most FITTING definition.

[This message has been edited by Jon Boy (edited November 23, 2002).]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

"It would seem that you're still trying to lead me off on some 'analogy' in an effort to get me to contradict myself."

You're correct. That's entirely what I'm trying to do.

Now, would you please explain the actual difference between "America: For Christians Only" and "under God?" How is one "oppressive," and the other not?

Wetchik
Member # 3609

There is no such thing is a good christian. Just because a nation is "under God", that doesn't mean that that non-Christians can't live there.

The original pledge is defintitely constitutional. I still would say that "America: Land for Christians only" violates the first amendment because it would make non-Christians feel coerced to be Christians. If you read my previous post, then you would know that I believe it is oppressive and immoral(even though it might be constitutional.)

Wetchik
Member # 3609

"Luckily, I'm not quite so narrow in my interpretation of the Constitution."

Tom, please keep the implied insults to yourself please.

I interpret the words of the constitution narrowly because have a very narrow and specific meaning. Kind of like the words IN THE FIRST AMENDMENT!

TomDavidson
Member # 124

It's not an insult, actually. I don't define the Constitution narrowly at all, which I believe is a good thing -- because it makes it possible for me to justify not wanting a national motto like "America: For Christians Only," while those who DO rely on narrow dictionary definitions find themselves forced to define a motto as coercion in one case and NOT coercion in another.

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.