FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » "I Pledge Allegiance..." (Page 7)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: "I Pledge Allegiance..."
Wetchik
Member # 3609

- posted      Profile for Wetchik   Email Wetchik         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, you took the words out of my mouth.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BootNinja
Member # 2296

- posted      Profile for BootNinja   Email BootNinja         Edit/Delete Post 
well, I meant something like shooting at paper targets, like you see in the cop movies, and like I did in boyscouts once. I don't see anything wrong with hunting, provided you eat what you kill, but if I were to own a gun, it would probably only be used at the shooting range against those paper targets.
Posts: 557 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed Richards
Member # 3514

- posted      Profile for Reed Richards   Email Reed Richards         Edit/Delete Post 
Be that as it may, you're missing the point. The second amendment is not to protect the people against environmentalists who want you to stop hunting. It's to protect you against the government.

Now, typically, the government protects you from itself. That's the way it should be, so that no one can take advantage of a naive public like the United States public.

But should a "flexible" view of important restricting documents like the Constitution be accepted, the government stops protecting the public and starts taking advantage of it, stealing from it, oppressing it, and the only way to get it to stop...

...is to possess arms with which to oppose it.

(By arms I mean firearms, not the limb that comes down from the shoulder. Not that those aren't important, rather that the Framers wouldn't really have expected the government to take them away.)

Posts: 135 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
And, of course, the idea that the armed American populace could possibly defend itself from the government without the defection of the military itself is one of those laughable fictions that you see in apocalypse novels.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steel
Member # 3342

- posted      Profile for Steel   Email Steel         Edit/Delete Post 
And why is it a laughable premise, Tom? Because the American military is imbued with god-like powers that make it unbeatable? Because military training makes a soldier invulnerable, or because military thinking can't be done by civilians?

The truth, Tom, is that the reason an "armed" populace couldn't stand up to the military is that the military has superior weaponry, superior war-waging technology.

Why does the military have this technological advantage? Because of people like you, Tom, who warn of the soul-stealing effects of modern firearms.

When the government cycles into oppressive mode, who do you think will be remembered as the revolutionary heroes who toppled the tyrants, us "up in arms" Steels' or you "guns steal my soul" TomDavidsons?

[This message has been edited by Steel (edited December 16, 2002).]

Posts: 497 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Why does the military have this technological advantage? Because of people like you, Tom, who warn of the soul-stealing effects of modern firearms."

Well, no.
If people like ME had any influence, we wouldn't have a military, either.

But it's because of people who think that it'd be a mistake to let common citizens own tanks and heat-seeking missiles -- i.e. the vast majority of people in this country -- that the American citizenry doesn't stand a reasonable chance of overthrowing the government without a military coup.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
The military has a technological advantage because they have been in competition with hostile nations for many years. The military needs an advantage if we're going to stop people who violently oppose us. The American people get the hand-me-down and watered-down stuff because we don't really need it. And even if there was another revolution and the people went up against the military, and even if we all had tank-busting rockets and assault rifles, we'd still lose. We don't have the training, coordination, bases of operations, or supplies to wage a war against our own military. We'll just have to hope it never comes to another revolution.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

"The truth, Tom, is that the reason an "armed" populace couldn't stand up to the military is that the military has superior weaponry, superior war-waging technology."

I beg to differ. A group of CIA agents can take out an entire platoon BECAUSE of their training. Weaponry isn't the only big advantage. The training is a huge advantage. You would have to be a fool or really belligerent to say that's false.

[This message has been edited by Wetchik (edited December 17, 2002).]

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

"If people like ME had any influence, we wouldn't have a military, either."

Why would you not want a military? How would you defend yourself against terrorism or flat-out invasion? The entire country could be put into slavery and nobody would be able to stop the ones who would do it.

Steel
Member # 3342

I wonder what would happen if citizenry had weapons and the government didn't?
Posts: 497 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

The citizens that opposed an agressive country's military would get blown to pieces due to lack of training.

[This message has been edited by Wetchik (edited December 18, 2002).]

Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Who here is against the military?
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"Against" in what sense?

Nick
Member # 4311

In entirety. Against all military actions.
Steel
Member # 3342

If anyone is against "all military actions", then they're stupid.

Bottom line. Stupid, or naive.

Now, being against WAR, that's a different story. i think everybod is against war. But no military action? That's just bottom-end stupidity right there.

Steel
Member # 3342

Let me back this up: I mean defense. I mean protecting the People.

"If people like ME had any influence, we wouldn't have a military, either."

That's what I'm talking about, right there. Normally, I'd call that stupid, moronic. But, since tom seems like a clever guy, I'll chaulk it up to naive optimism.

Naive optimism can be dangerous, Tom. That's where communism starts.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

I think it's a mistake to confuse a willingness to die with naivete.

Steel
Member # 3342

Willingness to die, Tom? You say you would rather die than have a military?

Let's say the choice was yours to make, and you choose to disband the military and be killed in the ensuing invasions.

Also think of the rest of us, who didn't choose that, who don't beleive that, and have to die right alongside you.

Foolish naivete, Tom. That's all it is. You need the army as much as I do, but you're refusing to admit it.

Stupid or naive.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Having to abide by the preferences of the majority is, indeed, one of the downsides of democracy.

Abyss
Member # 3086

- posted      Profile for Abyss   Email Abyss         Edit/Delete Post 
Or rather, the definition thereof.

If you were king, Tom, would you run things differently? No guns, no soldiers?
No military power, no police men? No nuclear weapons?
It's a wonderful dream, TomDavidson. But how long would you stay king?

-Abyss

[This message has been edited by Abyss (edited January 13, 2003).]

Posts: 280 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

It depends. Why do you think someone would want to attack me and my people?

suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
Greed, of course.
Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

What would it gain them? My country would be rich not as a consequence of its accumulated assets, but from the labor and ingenuity of its people.

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
*steps into thread*

They could get a whole lot of really hard workers.

*steps out*

[This message has been edited by James Tiberius Kirk (edited January 13, 2003).]

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

JTK's right--they could come and steal your factories, enslave your people, and profit from free labor and technology. If all else fails, they could simply kill all your people.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Why would they bother killing all my people? My people would hardly work for a bunch of tyrants -- but dead, they're of no use to the occupiers.

The trick is in being willing to die, which is the hard part.

Nick
Member # 4311

"The trick is in being willing to die, which is the hard part."

Tom, you forgot to add unrealistic. Most people wouldn't die for their country.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

What WOULD people die for?

altaris
Member # 4310

- posted      Profile for altaris   Email altaris         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to write this ; but actually, most peoples wouldn't be willing to die for anything on earth (save, perhaps, for their wife/husband and children... and even for this, not all of them would be willing)
There are indeed some brave enough to face death for ther ideals ; but there are FEW of them. Too few, I must say.
But you can't expect everyone to be like this - human nature makes almos all of us want to "survive at all cost" (otherwise we wouldn't be here today, trusting good ol' Darwin )

Posts: 117 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

This is, indeed, the problem: people are more willing to kill than to die. Bugged Jesus, too.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I'm going to assume that TomLand is some sort of utopia, filled with utopian people. Is that about right, Tom?

[This message has been edited by Jon Boy (edited January 14, 2003).]

Nick
Member # 4311

"What WOULD people die for?"

The very precious few would die for something. Most value their life more than anything else. It's in our sinful human nature. To bring Christ into it, he teaches up to not be afraid to die if the cause is right.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

JonBoy: Sure. Why bring realism into a discussion of ethics?

Nick
Member # 4311

Ethics are a reality.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Realism in a discussion on ethics? You must surely be mad!
Nick
Member # 4311

Me mad? No..... muhahahaha
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Actually, I was saying that to Tom, but you can be mad too if you like.
Steel
Member # 3342

Well, ethics applied in an 'Ivory tower' scenario don't work.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
The following is copied from an unnamed author on another internet forum. I wish I could say I did the research and constructed the following history, but I can't. Suffice it to say that the source material can be verified in the Government website: the Annals of Congress, as given by the author of this history of the development of the 1st amendment.

You can verify it yourself. I did.

Quoted material begins:

However, here, as best I can reconstruct it, is an account of the
Amendment's history. See http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/amlaw/lwac.html

Amendments Offered in Congress by James Madison June 8, 1789

"The civil rights of none shall be abridged on account of religious
belief or worship, nor shall any national religion be established, nor
shall the full and equal rights of conscience be in any manner, or on
any pretext, infringed."

Amendments Reported by the Select Committee July 28, 1789

"No religion shall be established by law, nor shall the equal rights of
conscience be infringed."

This Select committee wording was then considered by the House in
August 15, 1789

"Between paragraphs two and three insert `no religion shall be
established by law, nor shall the equal rights of conscience be infringed'"

There was then a proposal to add "national" before "religion".

We're then told:

"Mr. Livermore was not satisfied with that amendment
[the proposal to add "national" before "religion"].
He thought it would be better if it were was altered, and
made to read in this manner, that Congress shall make no laws
touching religion, or infringing the rights of conscience."

The proposal to add "national" was withdrawn. Then

".... the question was taken on Mr. Livermore's motion, and
passed in the affirmative, thirty-one for, and twenty against."

Then, in the House on August 21

"On motion of Mr Ames, the fourth amendment was altered so as
to read "Congress shall make no law establishing religion, or to
prevent the free exercise thereof, or to infringe on rights of
conscience." This being adopted, the proposition was agreed to."

The above is all the record says, no account of the debate or
reasoning is given.

The above was passed to the Senate, which considered it on
Sept 9, 1789. The Senate record says:

"Proceeded in the consideration of the resolve of the House of
Representatives of the 24th of August, ...

"On motion to amend article the third, to read as follows: "Congress
shall make no law establishing articles of faith or a mode of worship,
or prohibiting the free exercise of religion, ..."

Again, no debate or reasoning is recorded.

Mon Sept 21 Senate and House agree to send delegations to meet
to resolve the differences on several amendments. They come up
with the final wording as follows, which both Senate and House agree
to and pass to the States. Again, neither the Annals nor Journals
give any account of why the various changes were made.

"Art. III. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of
religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, or abridging the
freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people
peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of
grievances."

[Note, it is article 3 because 2 and 1 didn't pass the States, so
article 3 become the 1st article in the BoR.]

No doubt we can all read into the above what we see fit given
our biases :-)

With my own biases I'll say the following. First, most of these
wordings are far broader than simply preventing Congress instituting
an established Church. Note the repeated phrase "nor to infringe
on the rights of conscience".

Second, it seems the word "establish" was used in a fairly
general sense, not just refering to an Established church, since
they talked about establishing "articles of faith" or "a mode of
worship" also. One could argue that a Bill requiring teachers
to lead students in saying "I pledge allegiance to ... one nation
under God" is establishing a mode of worship.

Third, note that the very broad phrasing "no laws touching
religion ..." passed the House by a clear majority. Thus,
there was a lot of support for very broad interpretations.

Given all of the above, it seems to me that, unless they all changed
their minds at the last minute, which seems unlikely, they did intend
a broadly interpreted 1st Amendment that told Congress to steer
clear of passing any law on the subject of religion.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steel
Member # 3342

Okay... I hate to say this, but... so what? Your "history", however accurate, has little to do with the matter at hand, and your reasoning is riddled with holes.

You pull out the phrase "nor to infringe
on the rights of conscience." If the government could not infringe on the "conscience" of any religios group, my brother could go out on a boat, rape and pillage the country side, and the government couldn't put him to trial as long as he claimed Odinism. To outlaw rape and pillage, why, to an Odinist that's denying them an Afterlife! That would be like outlawing chasity and virtue to a Christian!

However, we also know that rape and pillage are wrong. People who do such things must be punished. Therefore, this phrase does not appear in the first amendment, and is also not particularly useful in this little debate.

You say: "One could argue that a Bill requiring teachers
to lead students in saying ' pledge allegiance to ... one nation
under God'is establishing a mode of worship."

Well, yes, teachers forcing students to say that WOULD be forcing religion upon the kiddies. But the Pledge I know doesn't read anything like that.

"I pledge Allegiance, to the flag, of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation, under God; indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all."

Nowhere in this carefully worded Pledge is one forced to worship a God. Oh, He's mentioned, but as an abstract quality of our good Nation.

No one is forced to 'pledge allegiance to one nation under God', but everyone should pledge allegiance to Our Good Republic.

Enders Star
Member # 4570

- posted      Profile for Enders Star   Email Enders Star         Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't care if God is in the pledge of alliegance. For one fact I DO NOT want a pastor running the government or do i want a poiltician running my church. I'm not a hyprocrit I just have my reasons.
Posts: 33 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

So you argue, Steel, that God is an ABSTRACT quality, and "one nation, under God" is a metaphor?

Would you support changing the wording of the Pledge, then, to read "one nation, under the laws of nature?"

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Didn't we already have this discussion? I was pretty sure it ended months ago.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy:

Yes, we had this argument, and I left it, because you were not willing to accept that the the wording meant anything other than that the government can't make any laws regarding religious establishments.

As I said before, your argument has no merit.

The history of the amendment clearly shows that the framers meant that:

"No religion shall be established by law"

"congress shall make no laws touching religion"

"congress shall make no law establishing articles of faith or a mode of worship"

And finally codifies these in the final form:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"

Where "respecting" means "having anything to do with" and "an establishment of religion" means no "religion, articles of faith or mode of worship shall be established"

The wording is intentionally broad, and the 1954 law placing "under God" in the pledge is unconstitutional.

Do you want to go back to discussing "de minimus" or do you want to argue that God isn't a religious concept?

Steel: The pledge requires that the speaker pledge allegiance to a republic which is: "one nation under god." That is an article of faith.

To require that an atheist acknowledge the existence of God is to force him to say "My belief system is wrong". Would you like to be forced to say "I'm wrong" every morning?

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I didn't accept your definition for good reason, Glenn. Here's what "establishment" means in the context of the first amendment:

quote:
2. esp. The ‘establishing’ by law (a church, religion, form of worship). (See ESTABLISH v. 7.) a. In early use, the settling or ordering in a particular manner, the regulating and upholding of the constitution and ordinances of the church recognized by the state. b. In 17th-18th c. occasionally the granting of legal status to (other religious bodies than that connected with the state). c. Now usually, the conferring on a particular religious body the position of a state church.

Clearly, the pledge of allegiance doesn't do any of these things. Any other definition of "establishment" is illogical.

And once again, I find it funny that everyone has a problem with "under God," but no one has a problem with requiring children to swear loyalty to the government, which is obviously a violation of free speech.

Nick
Member # 4311

"Would you like to be forced to say "I'm wrong" every morning?"

No I wouldn't like to be forced. Schools can't force you anymore. They might pretend to be able to, but they can't.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Actually, I believe that some states have laws requiring students to recite it. I find that far more worrisome than the wording of the pledge itself.

[This message has been edited by Jon Boy (edited January 31, 2003).]

suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed this discussion as soon as it popped up, I read it a little, but I have been refraining from commenting for a long time, Because I think the whole point of the thing is moot. We of hatrack, who consider our selves enightened, shouldn't really have to stoop so low as to play tug of war over this issue like the rest of the stupid country. That being said, I'll attempt to cut the rope in two.
The constitution is a living document, that means it changes with time. The basic ideals are still right, but it must be translated and added to. Morality and ethics, not law, determine what is right. Furthermore, what's right is all we should be paying attention to. So it's foolish to argue over what was meant by the letter of the law when it was written. Let's instead argue over what the law Should mean.
Here's what I think it should mean:
First, I should be able to say the pledge of alliegance if I want to, and so should anybody else.
Second, Whether it does or does not contain the word "God" is irrelevant; No one should ever be able to force me or my children to say the pledge of alliegance. For nationalism is, in and of itself, a sort of religion.
Third, My tax money should sure as hell not be going to pay the whole school staff to interupt their classes (which are very very important to the education of my children) for 2X(maybe 500 people)= 1000 minutes every single school day so that every child in the school can learn that patriotism is just a normal, everyday thing, not particularly more important than the rest of the day, not an act of voluntary sacrifice, just another thing the teachers force them to do.

Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steel
Member # 3342

Bravo!
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.