FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Reviewer comments unlikely to be used on book jackets (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Reviewer comments unlikely to be used on book jackets
tmservo
Member # 8552

- posted      Profile for tmservo   Email tmservo         Edit/Delete Post 
"All of the pages were in order."

"The binding used non-animal product binding glue. A definite plus!"

"The Author has a great, almost caligraphic signature in his opening note."

"Uses the word 'Maelstrom' so often you'd think it was Coca-Cola"

"A wondrously cheap per dose epicac"

"Three hours of your life you'll never have back!"

"Much cheaper then any book on my recommended list."

"Very safe to hide money or other items in from prying eyes."

"Just putting it on your desk makes you seem more intellectual; but reading it tends to make you less so."

"Unbelievably accurate kerning throughout."

"Works great as a doorstop."

"If dropped, deadly against 9/10 insects tested upon."

Posts: 202 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmservo
Member # 8552

- posted      Profile for tmservo   Email tmservo         Edit/Delete Post 
From a real book:

"Sickening. Demented. By the time you get to the dog-raping scene, you know this is something different. A Must read for the cyberpunk generation!"

Posts: 202 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
"You remember that study that said something like half of America hadn't read anything longer than a TV Guide synopsis in a year? Books like this are why."
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
A book no one else would dare publish, and even we weren't too sure!

At last, a detective novel everyone can solve!

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Surgeon General's Warning: this book may cause serious brain damage.

At last, a book EVERYONE can agree should be banned!

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

Best seller. Nothing can get through this book. Army is using it as bullet proof vests. President is having his nuclear bomb shelter lined with copies. Now selling in bulk.

(I'm stealing this next quote from Mr. Card)

"I'd rather watch the names erode off tombstones" than read this book.

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

Although intended as contemporary fiction, this book is now popular amongst the assisted suicide community as reading it causes instant death. Needless to say, I didn't read it.

Perfect gift for the ex-spouse.

Jebu
Member # 8718

- posted      Profile for Jebu   Email Jebu         Edit/Delete Post 
"Everything you wanted to know about the author's beliefs, expressed through monotonous dialogue between two-dimensional characters."

"I'm the author's friend, and I'm doing him a favor by praising this book. It's good. If you don't believe me, go buy the book and see for yourself!"

Posts: 8 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
If you love the Harry Potter series, you'll probably hate this book!
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

Just read this book. What's the worst that can happen?
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

Incredibly written! I was completely shocked when the main character dies at the end!
Avery Good Schreibner
Member # 8772

- posted      Profile for Avery Good Schreibner           Edit/Delete Post 
Incredible! Hot as a hemorrhoid in summer.

Action packed, rivals a snail crawling across a hot sidewalk.

Absorbing. Sponge Bob ain't got nothing on this one.

Modern classic tale inspired by monkeys at typewriters.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
The author weilds a pen with scalpel-like precision. It's not his fault that the patient died.

Could've been written by Shakespeare. In fact, pages 45-73 were.

Changed my life. Changed my name and address too. They still found me and made me review this tripe.

Every time someone buys this book, an angel gets its wings...
...ripped off at the shoulder blades.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Assassin Link
Member # 8817

- posted      Profile for Assassin Link   Email Assassin Link         Edit/Delete Post 
This book will make you try to fly
This book will make you shoot yourself

Posts: 5 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Assassin Link
Member # 8817

- posted      Profile for Assassin Link   Email Assassin Link         Edit/Delete Post 
This book causes sleep disorters

I was shocked when it turned out that ender killed the buggers and thought it was a game! Thumbs up

here is my number

Posts: 5 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a real one from the autobiography of Nevil Shute, "The most exciting book about an engineer you'll ever read!"
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Fully Compostable!

A wonderful gift for destructive toddlers.

Trying to house train your puppy? This book will help...your carpets.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avery Good Schreibner
Member # 8772

- posted      Profile for Avery Good Schreibner           Edit/Delete Post 
Plot based on old stories as told by tea leaves.

Hi. My name is Lenny. I like this book. It makes me sit taller.

A real page turner. She loves me, she loves me not; she loves me, she loves me not; she loves me....

Handy for hunters and hikers. More compact than a roll of toilet paper.

This book has really leveled things out in my life. It fits perfectly under my desk leg where the foot fell off.

This book is the ultimate macho man detector - if he can rip it in half with his bare hands, you've got a real macho man. (Wimps can bench press it.)

Posts: 32 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
"Great for headhunters!"

"Think your 8 year old son has bad grammar? Read This!"

"It's so bad, you'll get cancer!"

"Once you read this, cheese will exlode from your nostrils!"

"What really happens when people fall asleep on their computer and hit the keyboard."

"The greatest work of Scientific Mediocrety of the last 8 minutes.!

"Want to die? Read this!"

"It's so good, it'll cure lymphoma!"

"Warning: May cause the supreme dislike of OSC and anything with those initials. (Including the Obtuse Scar Club)"

"!"

"Once you read this book, you'll be cured of Hippopotomenstrosesquippeddaliophobia!!! Oh wait, AHHHHH!!!!!!!"

"Goes great with fries and a coke."

"Now with less Jargon, Surprise, and calories!"

"Now with more fibery goodness."

"20% more vomiting!"

"Warning: May suddenly have cravings for fried rodents, plastic, light sockets and playdoh!"

"You've never read a book about a kid named ENDER before!'

"Buy now and save $50!"

"I'm out of jokes!"

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Or...

"Orson Scott Card definitly doesn't not somewhat hate this book!"

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javelin
Member # 8643

- posted      Profile for Javelin   Email Javelin         Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm sure SOMEONE liked this one... maybe it'll be you!"
Posts: 21 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alchemist449
Member # 8808

- posted      Profile for Alchemist449   Email Alchemist449         Edit/Delete Post 
"Big enough to kill bugs! A great secondary use to those of us who don't want to hire an exterminator!"
Posts: 31 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I look forward to the author's meteoric rise. In fact, I'll contribute heavily to any program that involves launching him into space. Preferably sans spaceship.

This book made me ponder the details of library science. Specifically, I'm hoping there are ways to encourage paper to rot prematurely.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
A book so bad that even vanity publishers wouldn't accept it. It really had to be self-published.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The excellent use of the word "widdershins" has me all higgledy-piggledy.
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
"What we've all been waiting for! Literary evidence that great books do not need end punctuation!"

" A real guilty pleasure. Reading this book drove me mad, and I had to kill somebody to scrub the words from my mind."

"Reading this book backwards is an incantation to the Devil. And it really works!"

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Wrestles with all the big issues of our day, and loses.
frogcat
Member # 8862

- posted      Profile for frogcat           Edit/Delete Post 
"For someone who's been teaching creative writing to teenagers for years, this book made me realize that my students weren't so bad after all."

... hmmm... what about reviewers who are bad writers? they'd never make it to a book jacket either...

"The purpose of this review is to review this book. This book is entitled Magic Street. "

"I liked this book because it was good"

"I didn't like this book just because."

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
"I prefer books shaped like animals."

"Reading between the lines, you'll notice that this book was written on recycled paper."

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

I loved this book! Well, it was pretty good. OK, I guess. It could've been better to say the least. It was average...OK it was horrible.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Notice:
If your purchased this book without a cover,
you missed the best part.

(of course, if they didn't have the cover, they couldn't be reading that comment. It's sort of a paradox, if you think about it.)

LadyDove
Member # 3000

Do it yourself literature. We supply the cover, you supply the rest.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Great Bathroom reading, with soft pages

I couldn't put this book down, fast enough

The book perfectly captured the confusion and angst of my teenage years

I laughed, I cried, I fired my agent

This book is easily recyclable, makes a great gift to blind friends, and the pages are numbered correctly

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I am a firm believer in the rule that every book deserves to be read at least twice. Once by the author and once by a skllled editor (usually a long-suffering relative of the author). I also firmly believe that there are appropriate exceptions to every rule. This is one.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Who would have thought that the alphabet could be used in such an excruciating manner?

The author uses words as if he knew a lot of them!

The tension builds right to the very last page, at which point the drill bit bites through the back cover and you have a nice, neat hole!

The feel-good novel of the year! I feel so good knowing I didn't write that load of crap!

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D. James Larkin
Member # 8865

- posted      Profile for D. James Larkin   Email D. James Larkin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
Gave me hives!

As fast-paced as diarrhea!

Just the right number of verbs!

The best writing ever produced by a grammar-checker!

That poor student... just put all 4 on it. Better to be honest with them now than have them try again.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Cures all phobias! nothing you have seen before can compare!

Excellent for persuading children to learn another language!

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

This novel has made of me a true believer in slavery and fascism as positive forces. At least, I'm now convinced by the very fact that this book was published that the free market has failed us utterly and it's time to enforce some discipline on the whole enterprise.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I laughed til I stopped!

Like a frontal lobotomy with a dust jacket!

Even the cliff notes were too long!

A book which strongly deserves to be abridged!

Voted #1 read by the Sadomasochist Society of America!

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
toshiro
Member # 8894

- posted      Profile for toshiro   Email toshiro         Edit/Delete Post 
Nearly tastes like chicken.

Will make your brain fart.

The Dialog was written well, especially so for the mime character.

A standard for all text books.

Larry Moe and Curly's cautionary tale about the plight of an Ostrich Farmer about to lose his farm at the hands of an industry giant who uses 'small folk' to produce amusements for children. The Farmer faces threats of aerial bombardment by the dangerous yet cute flying antler circus. L M and C run around and desperately try to catch the dirty bombs in pails before the Ostriches are pelted and utterly demorilized.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peek
Member # 7688

- posted      Profile for Peek   Email Peek         Edit/Delete Post 
Peek Approved.
Posts: 112 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

"Gerp de Berp de schmerbity urp!"
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

You should let this book age like a fine wine. Or vinegar.

This is a book best reserved for special occassions, such as Armageddon or when you find out that your accountant has been embezzling. It'll make those problems seem trivial in comparison.

An extremely powerful book -- I'd estimate 3.7 therms upon complete combustion.

Some have judged this novel suitable only as fish wrap. I think it prudent to qualify this by stating that it depends entirely on which kind of fish.

It is the thought that there might've been books like this in the collection that gives some small measure of solace as I mourn the loss of the library at Alexandria.

Remember when I warned you after this author's first book? Well, see! I told you not to encourage him.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The prose equivalent of a two-hour drum solo.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Not since Dante's Inferno have so many readers come so close to experiencing hell.

If you can only read 10,000 books this week, you might consider this one for your list.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The one advantage I can imagine from having finished this book is that I no longer have trouble pronouncing words like Mrpxp!vnckjvr. In fact, all words sound like Mrpxp!vnckjvr to me now.
LadyDove
Member # 3000

A coffee table book, suitable for use as a coaster.
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
(Scopatz, "inferno" and "drum solo" blow me away! I'm desperate to write the books to deserve those encomiums!)
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Thanks!

As my mother would say "Stop that, you'll only encourage him."

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I took it out of the library. They thanked me and bricked off the shelf.
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.