FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It doesn't do anything. That's the beauty of it. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: It doesn't do anything. That's the beauty of it.
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice CB.

quote:
I KNOW that I've read somewhere in Tolkien that Smeagol and Deagol were cousins (though not necessarily first cousins), and several other people also remember having read that.
I don't think there is specific text in the trilogy identifying them as cousins. There might be something in the Lost Tales, but I have to check.

Smeagol lived with an extended family. So maybe Deagol lived with the same family and therefore is likely to be a cousin of some sort.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Could it be in a book rather than a movie?

Mark Twain?

AJ

[ March 06, 2004, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delicate flower
Member # 6260

- posted      Profile for delicate flower   Email delicate flower         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of you are convinced this is from "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." But, I don't think so. I'm a little ashamed to admitt this, but I've never read AHGttG, and that quote is still very familar. (I'm not going to be kicked out of Hatrack for my lack, am I? It's one of those books I'm always meaning to read, but never seem to get to.)

[ March 06, 2004, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: delicate flower ]

Posts: 48 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
It's only familiar to you because people talk about it/quote it so much.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
PSI T: that doesn't apply to me. My first reading of it was accompanied with a sense of "deja vu" and even an auditory memory when this first came up.

All of which confirms my suspicion this is a result of someone messing with the timestream! [Grumble]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... And I was thinking that if it was associated with William Shatner, it had to have then come from Airplane II: The Sequel. But I highly doubt it.
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason I'm also reminded of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the movie).

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got the e-book versions of all the Hitchhikers Guide books, so I did a search. The phrase "the beauty of it" doesn't appear even once.

I can't vouch for the radio script versions, or the televised one, but I can't think of where it would have come up, either.

Don't have an easy way to search "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," but the transcript of the movie is available online and the phrase doesn't appear there, either.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
The sentence makes me think about the Monty Pythons. Did someone though of it ?
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I'm not toally insane, then. Thanks Chris.

I'm now no closer to figuring it out, but at least I know my Shatner wasn't toally off.

[Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alath
Member # 6150

- posted      Profile for alath   Email alath         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking about this last night and I too thought of Monty Python. Maybe in one of the episodes, does anyone have them?
Posts: 145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

I have a different question. Where did this question originate?

When you do a brief search on google, you will see a lot of forums discussing this very question. Can anyone find out who was the first person to infected the web with this question? [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the reason it seems familiar to everybody is that it's very easy to imagine just about anyone saying it.

Seriously, listen to it in your head as the following people; it works for all of them.

Moe the Bartender
Tony Soprano
Michael Caine
John Cleese
James Earl Jones
Patcick Stewart
Robert De Niro
Christopher Walkin (actually, this one is my favorite)
Gene Hackman
George Carlin
Ellen Degeneriss
Geena Davis
The guy that played Brody in Mall Rats
Anyone from Buffy or Angel [Smile]
Yoda

It's just a very versatile set of sentences.

Dagonee
P.S., you need to capitalize both letters in the first "do."

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Beren, I think the internet questions originated from here. Intially, there was nothing googlable -- and then Hatrackers started to spread the evil meme by peppering other forums with the question.

Dag: yep. [Smile]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Could it have been us that started it? Because I know when the first question was raised here, I did an online search and it didn't come up at all. I know we sent seekers into imdb to ask, and immediately got threads spanning pages.

So...is Hatrack to blame for the internet phenomenon?

[And CT chimes in a moment before I did [Cool] ]

[ March 06, 2004, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

We shot a meme into the air, where it fell we do not care. [Smile]

Thanks CT! That is so awesome, in a way. Thalia, you created the perfect storm. [Cool]

*Still waiting patiently for Ebert to answer his email*

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
could we ask snopes?
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Maybe we can get Lucas to digitally insert the line into American Graffiti and claim it was always there...
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Or get OSC to put it Ender's Game... [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

But that wouldn't be retroactive, so it can't be the answer to the question now.

Lucas has the right combination of power over time and space and lack of artistic integrity to pull this off.

Dagonee

knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
What's really awesome is that this quote has come to me outside of Hatrack. One of my sister's teachers was cruising forums and got caught up in this very discussion, and then told his class about it. Then my sister told me about it.

I wonder if we could play a six degrees of hatrack game.

Actually, what's really sad is that i posted this almost exact post whenever the origional thread a year ago.

Ni!

[ March 07, 2004, 01:17 AM: Message edited by: knightswhosayni! ]

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Beren One Hand saith:

quote:
Thalia, you created the perfect storm.
Perhaps this was just an evil social experiment and Thalia is actually one of the Secret Cabal of Psych researchers lurking on Hatrack. Using this forum to see how effectively it can be used to infect the rest of the internet. [Wink]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack changes the world one paradoxical riddle at a time!

Mwuahahahahahaha! Ack, Cack, ugh.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

What scares me is that Thalia claimed her friends have been thinking about this for years.

It may already be too late to save this timeline. [Angst]

cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at least it got us off the gay marriage debates for a while.

EDIT: aargh spellign mistakes - someone keeps rearragning ths keyboadr

[ March 07, 2004, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: cochick ]

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I could see this line having been in Galaxy Quest, but I haven't seen the movie often enough to have it memorized.

I've been feeling vexed about the whole "Smeagol & Deagol being cousins" thing too. I've always been under that impression, and I really haven't read much Tolkein beyond The Hobbit, LOTR, and the Silmarillion. Am I right in thinking that there is a matriarch that is referred to as being their grandmother? If so, maybe we just read that and assumed they were cousins for some reason?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
The line isn't in My Big Fat Greek Wedding or Spy Kids 3D.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Was Real Genius ruled out? Maybe I should watch it tonight
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Yeah - it was ruled out. I watched the whole movie months ago, looking specifically for the quote. (not a big deal - I like the movie)
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not in "Wayne's World", "X-men", or the Springy time episodes of Roly Poly Olie, either.

Maybe that shares a bit too much about my viewing habits.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaz_King
Member # 3184

- posted      Profile for Chaz_King   Email Chaz_King         Edit/Delete Post 
It actually reminds me a lot of The Hudsucker Proxy....
Posts: 232 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaz_King
Member # 3184

- posted      Profile for Chaz_King   Email Chaz_King         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, everyone else seems to think it is from Formula 51 when Samuel L Jackson is explaining that his super drug actually uses a combonation of chemicals so while it tests as a massively potent drug, they all cancel each other out, and it doesn't do anything at all...
Posts: 232 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't feel bad PSI, Rolie Polie Olie is one of the better children's shows. I love James Joyce and am actually looking for my own personal copy of Dinosaur Bob and the Family Lazardo.

At least you weren't referencing a Wiggles episode...

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a conspiracy cooked up by Netflix and Blockbuster videos to encourage dvd rentals. [Smile]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
...maybe mankind has a subliminal collective memory.
Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
HRE: You know there have been theories that that is how all humans are able to learn language and grammar. Some kind of joint "memory" written into our genes of a proto-language. Some even attempted to uncover this "original mother tongue" by raising infants and never using language around them. Of course, such a monstrous experiement would not be lawful today.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Snow Crash flash back.

[Smile]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I liked Snowcrash but haven't read any of his other stuff. Is it as good?

(This is the second reference I've seen to Snowcrash today, after not having seen or heard about it for years.)

Dagonee

vwiggin
Member # 926

Snow Crash is my first book (still reading it). If anyone has opinions on his other books, please share. [Smile]
Taalcon
Member # 839

I placed this quote into the hands of my Advanced Scriptwriting class today.

Now they all hate me [Wink]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Am I right in thinking that there is a matriarch that is referred to as being their grandmother?
IIRC, when Gandalf is explaining Smeagol to Frodo, he mentions a matriarch.

quote:
If anyone has opinions on his other books, please share.
My opinion of Neal Stephenson, based on Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon is that he needs to learn how to write denouement. He is a pretty good writer, has a great ironic comic sense, and has neat ideas, but both of those books ended too soon after the climactic moment. Actually, I think Cryptonomicon ended right at the climax.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

wtg Taalcon! Spread our suffering. [Razz]

Thanks for the review Saxon. I'm getting close to the climax, so I hope your warning will help me deal with the inevitable let down. [Wink]

alath
Member # 6150

- posted      Profile for alath   Email alath         Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked and it's not in Galaxy Quest or the first and third season of the Simpsons.

I don't know if anyone said this but maybe Back to the Future. [Dont Know]

Posts: 145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend assures me it's a Woody Allen quote...

[Dont Know]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
from rivka in chat:
halfway down
the dvd:
from amazon

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, I was told it ain't there. [Dont Know]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

[Wall Bash]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's amazing seeing how the many discussions on this topic all trace back to Hatrack -- and all only a step or two away. [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats what I was thinking about to begin with...but i had to find a copy to confirm it.
Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

[Thomas]I won't believe it until I hear a sound clip, and/or see a video clip...[/Thomas]

[ March 09, 2004, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.