FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It doesn't do anything. That's the beauty of it. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: It doesn't do anything. That's the beauty of it.
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
*claps and jumps up and down*

Yay! That's where I found it too! But has it been confirmed by anyone here? Elsewhere someone says it isn't there. Doesn't mention if they meant the book, tv version, or radio show though.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched all of HHGTTG, and couldn't find the quote anywhere.

Sorry, but it's me: the film started to bore me, and I may have actually fallen asleep during the quote. I hope I don't have to watch it again.

Can anyone say, "philosopher's stone"?

--Steve

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm... you mean it can only be found by someone who is not looking for it? *checks his HP books*. [Razz]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
That's where I thought it was from - HHGttG - though I didn't come out and say so - so you'll probably think I'm just jumping on the bandwagon.

But all along I've been able to hear (in my head of course) Zaphod Beeblebrox saying it to Arthur Dent. Now I've only seen the TV series based on the radio play - was this the same as the film but just shown in instalments.

[ March 09, 2004, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: cochick ]

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Grumble]

The problem with that is that all of my roommates and I have heard that quote somewhere before, and we have not seen Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

[Grumble]

*grumbles about not being satisfied with that answer*

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Still think it's a combination of familiar-sounding lines, a combination that was never actually said.

I've pointed out where the "That's the beauty of it" line could have come from, and the cadence and absurdity of the statements "feels" like Hitchhikers Guide.

That's my prediction, and I'm sticking with it.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, it's not from Hitchiker's Guide. I never read it, and I know the context of the quote. I'm absolutely sure aspectre had the context of dicussing an invention. In fact, if memory serves, it was a very notably useless-looking invention. However, since I can't picture the actor saying it (not trying), I can't recall where I saw it. I doubt it was Sienfeld, but it could have been. If I get some extra time, I'll see what I can do (my memory is good, but sometimes requires work to extract details).
Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
An invention...

It wasn't the 10th anniversary edition of Far Side, where Gary Larson discusses "Mr. Thingy," was it?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Are we sure it's NOT "The Hudsucker Proxy?"
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Not in the script for it, anyway. I've got it on tape but it's been a while...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Could be Larson...

I'll get my sister to check my book for me. I'm sure she'll be as relieved as I am if that's it - I infected her last weekend. [Big Grin]

If it is, I'll get her to scan the page and I'll post it somewhere.

But at this point, I can't really hope... [Angst]

[ March 10, 2004, 02:10 AM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not The Hudsucker Proxy.

It's NOT HHGttG--radio, miniseries, or book.

I've got all three on my computer right now, have listened to them (and ctrl-f'd the ebook) many times, including once in the last day, and it's not there.

If it exists, it surely wouldn't be too much work to capture the audio and/or video, no? Because that's the only way I'll believe it.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not Hitchhiker's Guide, unless Chris is right and the quote was lifted from it and alternate versions were repeated by other sources. I've never read the book, and I've seen the quote somewhere.

Truth be told, it stinks of Heller. Something along the lines of Catch 22, though I'm fairly sure it's nowhere to be found in that specific book.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I don't think the quote was lifted and changed, I think it's just the same style/attitude/cadence so that it sounds like it ought to be from HGTTG.

And yup, at this point we'd need either a sound clip or complete and precise reference to where it was written.

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ruled out Star Trek: TNG? I can see this being some sort of Geordie/Data exchange.

(oh, and I've got someone looking up the Larson idea for me.)

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. I'll post it on a Star Trek Forum.

If it's in there, they'll know.

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fairly certain it's NOT a ST:TNG quote.

But feel free to infect another board with this meme. [Evil]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Similar quotes that could contribute to the familiarity of this one:

Moe: What's yer watch say?
Curly: It don't say nuthin', you gotta look at it.
any number of Three Stooges movies

Charlie: What's it do?
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, said in several different ways, but never with an answer resembling our puzzle

Colin Pillock: So, which of them is it, Mr. Perrin? A social venture for the benefit of mankind? Purely a commercial venture? Or a con trick?
Reginald Perrin: Yes. It's all three of them. That's the beauty of it.
The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin

Mrs. Peacock: What does your husband do?
Mrs. White: Nothing.
Mrs. Peacock: Nothing?
Mrs. White: Well, he just lies around on his back all day.
Miss Scarlet: Sounds like hard work to me.
Clue

Homer: What does it do?
Marge: It doesn't do anything.
Homer: No really, come on.
Marge: If it does anything, it's doing it right now.
The Simpsons

Janet: What have you done to Brad!
Frank: Nothing. Why, do you think I should?
Rocky Horror Picture Show

Spock: Weren't those a gift from Dr. McCoy?
Kirk: And they will be again. That's the beauty of it.
Star Trek IV, The Voyage Home

It invokes the kind of internally-consistent, bizarre-from-the-outside logic we're familair with these sources and from Hitchhiker's Guide, The Animaniacs, Cheers, Monty Python, and a zillion other places. But I don't think that quote, as it's listed, has been said.

[ March 11, 2004, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking maybe this will come up in the movie Troy:

Trojan guard looking dubiously at giant wooden horse left behind by the Greeks: "But what does it do?"

Greek spy left behind to con the Trojans: "Do? It doesn't do anything. That's the beauty of it."

[Big Grin]

[ May 10, 2004, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
I may have to hit sndrake.

Does anyone here know who is writing the screenplay for the new HHGTTG? I will seek them out, and demand with all my skill and aptitude that they include it in the new film!

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I still vote for M.A.S.H. - episode 206, "Depressing News" - where Hawkeye builds a tower of tongue depressors and I think he says it to the guy who interviews him about it ...

I don't watch Simpsons, and I'm pretty sure I've heard this, so I'm pretty sure it's not Simpsons.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I won't believe anyone until I hear the clip, or at least get a precise to the minute indicator of where it is in the movie so I can make a clip.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
does this need a bump yet?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*stabstabstab*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Let's ask the newbie. [Smile]

[ September 20, 2004, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
No stabbing Kama!!! [Mad]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Mike gets very upset when people muck around with his computer.
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
*chuckles*

edit- at the fact that it was bumped again, not really the ensuing conversation.

[ September 20, 2004, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Happy Camper ]

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You know as well as I do that I only stab with protection.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miles_per_hour
Member # 6451

- posted      Profile for miles_per_hour   Email miles_per_hour         Edit/Delete Post 
This needs a bump as much as the gay-marriage thread needs one.

In other words, not at all.

Posts: 143 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRR
Member # 6601

- posted      Profile for RRR   Email RRR         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You know as well as I do that I only stab with protection.
Sword condoms?
Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Name......: (Anonymous)
Question..:
"What does it do?"
"It doesn't DO anything. That's the beauty of it!"
It's from The Simpsons in the episode where Homer's half brother (I think, maybe step brother) Herb Powell is explaining his invention. He is talking about the 'drinking' bird and Homer asks, "What does it do?"

Thank you for answering that question for our readers. Judith Egerton

Answer above by the voice of Danny Devito.

Can anyone verify this? And if anyone's already proved or disproved it, I'm sorry, but I don't want to go through 3 pages of thread to find out. So tough.

[ September 20, 2004, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: Happy Camper ]

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
I still think it's from 'Big'.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*head explodes again*

I currently hear Val Kilmer's voice saying it in my brain. But that doesn't mean he actually said it. Maybe it's just because he plays a heck of a good nerd cause he really is one.

AJ

(and re-reading the thread, I'm guessing Gary Larson is a pretty darn good bet.)

AJ

[ September 20, 2004, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
(shamelessly dragging out old material)

I'm still banking on this theory:

quote:
Well, there's at least one other possibility. Others might be afraid to mention this as a possibility, but I have a high embarrassment threshold, a healthy degree of paranoia, and a good imagination.

We could be the victims of careless meddlers in the timestream.

I reckon something like the following could have happened.

In our original timestream, there was a very popular movie that most of us watched. The most memorable line of the movie was the one we've all been trying to track down. Maybe it won an Oscar (probably just for soundtrack, costume, or special effects, though.).

That was the original timestream. Here's where it gets dicey. I figure some irresponsible traveller from our future (maybe even our present - I don't read too many technical journals) made trip into our collective pasts and did something - something that - either by accident or design, resulted in this movie never being shown or maybe even made.

So this movie that made an impression on so many of us no longer exists. But the memory of our favorite line, like a ghost track on a poorly rerecorded casette tape, still rings in our memory.

Looks like the future is much the same as the present - there's never a Time Cop around when you need one.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, this could be the basis for the next Hatrack gathering. We can get together with a bunch of the 'contenders' and have screenings to see if we can find once and for all where this quotation comes from.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Oh, that's a great idea!
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can anyone verify this? And if anyone's already proved or disproved it, I'm sorry, but I don't want to go through 3 pages of thread to find out. So tough.

I hadn't heard that theory before, but I just watched the episode, and it's not in there.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Adressing the problem of Deagol and Smeagol. In the Complete Guide to Middle Earth, It clearly states that they were cousins. Under Deagol, it states:

Stoor of the Gladden Feilds. While fishing with his cousin Smeagol, he found the One Ring and was murdered by smeagol, who coveted it.

[ September 20, 2004, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Little_Doctor ]

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Who wrote the complete guide?
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Foster. But, I beleive he had permission from Tolkein's family to write it. All of his information is taken from Tolkeins books and works either way.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

If this quote existed, I believe it would have been found by now and a .wav excerpt posted. There are enough obsessive people on the Internet to pretty much guarantee this. [Big Grin]

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

If Tolkien didn't write it, it isn't canon. Is there some place where Tolkein said?
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Dagonee, they don't have .wav files of The Far Side.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

Dag:

I didn't get the quote online, it's from a book.

Kat:

Tolkein didn't write Encyclopedis of Arda either, but I've seen it quoted tons of times. not that I don't agree that it would have ben better if he had written it.

[ September 20, 2004, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Little_Doctor ]

katharina
Member # 827

Disclosure: I've never made it all the way through The Two Towers, and didn't even start Return of the King. I am geeky about many things, but not about this.

Having said that, my opinion: If Tolkein didn't write it, it's not canon. [Smile]

Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
I kinda like this "near" quote:

quote:
"Hey, .. Can I ask you a question?"
"Shoot."
"What the hell are these things for?"
"What do you mean?"
"I mean, what do they do?"
"What do you mean what do they do? You run 'em along the floor, like this."
"Ok. So what does it do? It's not any cleaner."
"Don't know. Maybe it looks for cracks on the floor or it does something to the metal .. makes it stronger. I don't know."
"So you don't know either?"
"No."
"Well .. I guess it's time for lunch."
"Yep."

It's from Babylon 5, season 5, episode titled "A View from the Gallery"
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

OK, .wav file, scanned image, some definitive proof. And I was speaking of the main topic of the thread, not any of the offshoots.

Dagonee

Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

Ah, sorry.
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.