FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It doesn't do anything. That's the beauty of it. (Page 4)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: It doesn't do anything. That's the beauty of it.
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
I found this....

quote:
Harold Harold is in the room tinkering with a complex Rube Goldberg machine. Bongs and various other noises emit from it. Harold Harold ("my mother had no imagination - that's a family joke") says his mother's name was Myrtle Myrtle and that may be why he stuttered. He dons an even thicker pair of glasses than the ones he had been wearing, and tells them that doesn't s-s-stutter any m-m-more. Burke asks him to turn the machine off and Harold says he takes it with him wherever he travels. He has an even larger one at home; it's his therapy and he's still perfecting it. It doesn't do anything, that's the beauty of it, it's his rebellion against efficiency.
At this website.
Clicky Clicky.

My husband said he believed Rube Goldberg said it, so I did a search and this popped up.

It appears to be an episode summary of a TV show called Burke's Law, titled "Who Killed 711". If someone could find the actual transcript of that episode we could know once and for all who said it.

[ September 20, 2004, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: Misha McBride ]

Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
OK, someone needs to find a tape and post the scene on the web. They'll be an Internet legend forever!

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If someone could find the actual transcript of that episode we could know once and for all who said it.

We know who said it--the guy who wrote the synopsis of the episode. [Razz] It doesn't sound like the quote is actually in the episode. In fact, I'll bet money that it isn't.

[ September 21, 2004, 05:07 AM: Message edited by: Frisco ]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
well seeing as I need the answer I will be evil.....does anyone know the answer to this question yet......thanks to ElJay now it is driving me nuts [Mad] [Frown] [Big Grin] oh yeah did I mention I'm evil? [Evil Laugh] [Evil]

[ February 07, 2005, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Kiddo, you don't need the answer, you need the significance of the phrase to Hatrack. And I'd say you've found it.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

oh well.....i suppose that makes sense....thanks.....but i still want to know the answer because this is driving me absolutely insane [Mad]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
there is no spoon...........
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*feels absolutely no guilt*

[Evil Laugh]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
*grin* That unsettling insanity, especially among this group where everyone is faintly OCD, is EXACTLY its signifigance to Hatrack. *pats quote fondly*
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
This Simpsons had something close, but it doesn't appear to be the source
quote:
[Looking at a giant stone head Mr. Burns has had delivered to the Simpson house]
Homer: What does it do?
Marge: It doesn't do anything.
Homer: No really, come on.
Marge: If it does anything, it's doing it right now.

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

arrgggghhhh [Mad] !!!!!!!!!!! rivka and ElJay why did you have to introduce me to this insanity causing question......of course I was insane, borderline OCD, and ADD before I got here anyway but that doesn't have anything to do with it... [Big Grin]
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I've mentioned this to friends before. They also swear they have heard it, but either can't think of where, or name a book/movie/show we've already ruled out.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Well geeze, Dana, you handed him that one on a silver platter. [Razz]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Oh, and:

quote:
rivka and ElJay why did you have to introduce me to this insanity causing question......
Because you want to be a jatraquero, of course. It goes with the territory.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HippyGirl
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for HippyGirl   Email HippyGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
probably a hippy somewhere muttered it and brought it to the world [Big Grin]
Posts: 13 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
This is quite possibly the most evil question ever. I woke up in the middle of the night to read (ok skim) the entire hitchhikers series.
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
It. Does. Not. Exist.

Just Accept It!

[Monkeys] [Wall Bash]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I'm with Teshi on this.

And I have rarely been quite this proud of doing anything this cruel. [Evil]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
[Evil] [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Why? Why? Why did you have to expose me to this poisonous quote? [Cry] [Cry] [Cry] [Cry] [Cry] [Cry] [Cry] [Cry]
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
You asked for it, man! [Evil] [Taunt]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I didn't ask for anything... [Cry] [Grumble] [Frown] [Evil Laugh] [Wall Bash]
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Hrm. I should go into the movie-making business and make a movie (movie-making, make a movie! What a novel concept!) with that quote it in. I'll be famous forever! [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I've been thinking about this. Cause, what if we finally do discover it in a movie, and the movie turns out younger than the original debate? Can we trace back the origins of the question? Just so we know if the movie is based on our meme or vice versa?

[ February 08, 2005, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Steve, Steve, Steve . . . you did ask for it. You said you'd walk through lava!

Now you know the true secret of being a jatraquero. That quote, and the frustration it brings with it. [Evil]

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I expect Joss Whedon to insert this quote into Serenity. In Chinese.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
it wasn't in The Princess Bride, I know I remember someone saying it was, but nope not there, watched it this weekend.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I know I know I know!!!!!

I just watched the movie last week. I know what movie. I know what year it came out! I know what part!

It is SOOOOOOO obvious!!! Do I get a prize if I email someone the answer?\

EDIT:

Or is it a movie? [Evil Laugh] [Evil Laugh] [Evil Laugh] [Evil Laugh] [Evil Laugh] [Evil Laugh] [Evil Laugh] [Evil Laugh]

[ February 08, 2005, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: lem ]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I saw a movie last week that had a similiar line (similiar enough to make me think of this thread) but it wasn't exactly this quote.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

lem: There is no prize, but unless you post the movie (TV show, book, whatever) and scene, nobody's going to believe you, either. Way too many people have been way too sure they knew where it was for anyone to be believed without independant verification.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
The prize is not being bludgeoned to death because of withholding the information.

Edit to clarify

[ February 08, 2005, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: Carrie ]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still here, guys; and I'm still looking.

So far, no luck.

Has anyone revisited "Flight of the Navigator" recently? I'm going to try that this week-end.

What about the comic strip "BC" or "Wizard of Id"? Something at the back of my head...

BTW, I have a cat named LAVA. Does it count if I walk over her?

--Steve

[ February 08, 2005, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: ssywak ]

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

I thought there was unspoken rule to not post the answer. Will I be breaking an unspoken rule by spoiling the tension? Or should I just email it to HRE so s/he can verify I am right?
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

There is no unspoken rule. The answer is not posted because no one knows what it is. Everything that's been suggested so far has been proven incorrect.
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Oh no, post the answer. Then we'll tear it apart, and if you're right, we'll cover you with glory.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

quote:
Way too many people have been way too sure they knew where it was
*gets a sickening sensation in my stomach*

I am going home tonight to re-verify it for myself. If I am indeed wrong, I will have been pulled into this poisoness muck of trivia.

Oh please God, don't make me wrong and have to obsess about this quote. I just know I am right...I think.

Arrgggh...must get home to check! 4 more hours....

lem
Member # 6914

quote:
The answer is not posted because no one knows what it is.
Does HRE know it?
ElJay
Member # 6358

Muh-ha-ha-hahahahaha!

But if you're right, it'll be really neat.

ElJay
Member # 6358

I don't think so... I think he admitted defeat somewhere in the second page. He certainly never posted any proof.
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
No one knows.

Not here,

Not on IMDB:
http://us.imdb.com/board/bd0000001/thread/1180562

Not on the blog-site that someone put together:
http://kcor1953beauty.tripod.com/blog/

No one.

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Someone started a blog site for a meme we started? That's wonderful!
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, I'm not positive that ours came first....

EDIT: (although ssywak, here, posted it on IDMB, it appears, which began the question there)

FG

[ February 08, 2005, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

It was pretty close - it started on PWeb, I think.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

But that blog page is really hard to read -- at least in my browser window...
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone read Sherlock Holmes recently? It suddenly struck me that "my dear Waston" would go quite well on the end of that quote.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I've just gone through a Homes reading spree, and though I can't say that I read every single story, I read most and it wasn't there. [Dont Know]

AJ, I have a question for you! *goes off to e-mail*

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I've just gone through a Homes reading spree, and though I can't say that I read every single story, I read most and it wasn't there.
I just had a horrible vision of Watson saying, "Yo, Homes, who did it?"
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I choose not to spell correctly for the amusment of those around me.

Yah, let's go with that.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I only point these out when they're funny. Not picking on you, Hobbes. [Smile]

[ February 08, 2005, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

lem
Member # 6914

Now I feel really sick.

As I was sitting here knowing for sure where the quote came from and being anxious to get home to verify it, I started to hear Lister say it from Red Dwarf.

Grrr...now I have the one movie to verify and the first 4 seasons of Red Dwarf.

THANKS FOR NOTHING HRE!!!! [Wall Bash]

*but I still think my first reaction is correct--Must get home!!*

On a side note, my wife turned on the TV last night and it sparked a spectacular spark and knocked her down. She is all right, albeit a little shook up, but the TV did not make it. This thread reminded me that I need to pick up a TV on my way home from work.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.