FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It doesn't do anything. That's the beauty of it. (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: It doesn't do anything. That's the beauty of it.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if the line was ever actually spoken in the show, but in Hiatus, if you look carefully at the external shots of the Venture, you'll see the "that's the beauty of it" quote painted just below Arcus' porthole.

[ September 21, 2006, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Now that's just mean. [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, that quote WAS in the pilot that the network decided not to air. The graphic artists put that on the ship for future episodes as a sort of silent protest.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
This doesn't seem to have the quote, but it may be the srouce of the concept.

http://www.pixelscapes.com/spatulacity/button.htm

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
<Bumps thread.>

<Hijinks ensue.>

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*hides from rivka*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Jinks! [Wave]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
dont forget sue...
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
*steals thread to use in current cross stitch project*
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
That's going to be the name of a sitcom one of these days, mark my words:

Hijinks and Sue. Starring Robin Williams as Hijinks, and Pam Dawber as Sue.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
And one of their tag lines will be, "It doesn't do anything! That's the beauty of it!"
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh... my... God...

I somehow missed ever seeing or reading this post for the last two years (unless I was somehow forced to forget about it) and started reading it this evening. Yes. I read all six pages.

No, I didn't skip to the end. Who does that?! It'd be like reading the last page of a book to find out if the main character dies or not!

I get to the last page hoping that SOMEONE, ANYONE found the answer, but NO!

Now, I too will be tormented by wondering where in tarnation this thing came from!

Papa, there is a special place reserved for you in the afterlife.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that the place where people who talk in the cinema go? [Wink]
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Pops, you're just evil. Everyone else was content to allow this thread to rest in peace (for the time) but you, of all people, bump it. Why? Why?

[Razz]

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*laughs slightly hysterically and pours a glass of wine*

After the last few weeks of work-from-hell, and THIS re-surfaces.

For shame, Papa!

*tk tsk*

*grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
It definately is a "Idda, tt boi" kinda day, isn't it?

Hehe.. Idda tt boi. Say that 3 times fast.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I think our brains are programmed to "remember" that phrase even if you've never heard it before. It's a conspiracy.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like something Cyrano Jones said in the episode of Star Trek where he was selling the tribbles on space station K9. Uhura asks what does the tribbles do and he says they don't do anything, that's the beauty of it.

Or for some reason Wizard of Oz keeps popping up in my head.

Either that or I'm just making it up.

Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happysmiley
Member # 9703

- posted      Profile for happysmiley           Edit/Delete Post 
Those of you that are complaining about this thread getting bumped should realize that each whiny post you make is also, yes, bumping this thread. Which is kind of funny and ironic. [Laugh]
Posts: 48 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Those of you commenting on the absurdly obvious need a bump on the top o' yur noggin.

*wicked grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:
I think our brains are programmed to "remember" that phrase even if you've never heard it before. It's a conspiracy.

that's the beauty of it
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Is the original thread still around? *hopeful

I think sndrake did solve this on the first page of this thread, though. However, he claims to have written it originally in another thread, which doesn't exist. *ahem* Anymore.

Right.

*fisheye

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

I do recall there being another thread, something along the lines of "ARRG! Does anyone know where this is from?" Don't completely remember, though. I think it was back in July 2003 sometime.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, good god....
Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

CT! That's unbelievably mean and cruel!

*laughs*

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boothby171:
Oh, good god....

Who says he's good? Maybe he's neutral now. You know, like he decided not to do anything anymore. And that's the beauty of it.

:sniff: I missed this thread.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is really a substitute for "Atheism vs. Belief" debates

There are people who say "I experienced The Phrase/God. I can't explain how it happened, but it changed my life and set me on an eternal quest to find the proof. I know that one day I will again find The Phrase/God."

There are People who say "The Phrase/God does not exist. So far, no proof has been found, and a reliance on faith alone makes things more complicated than necessary. I have accepted the fact that The Phrase/God does not exist. I have found meaning in life in other ways."

Just thought I would bring this in to perspective.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

I recognize that the phrase may exist, but in a form different than what others say it exists as, and have my own special relationship with said phrase. Should proof be brought to my attention that the phrase exists as what others say it does, I shall accept that as the true phrase.
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this phrase is imprinted on our collective memory because it is the last thing we heard before The Extrauniversal Overseers reset time.

Overseer Leader: Please, everyone focus your attention this device.
Us: What are we supposed to do?
OL: All you need to do is look. It is that simple.
Us: What does it do?
OL: It doesn't do anything. That's the beauty of it!

There was an enourmous flash, and Creation was reset to the Big Bang.

We are getting closer to The End Event because we are reliving our collective memory. This time, we cannot allow the Overseers to win. We have the right to exist!

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
*giggles*
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

quidscribis, do you want to join the revolt, or not? If not, then you will be missing out on the free girl scout cookies and t-shirts that say "It doesn't do anything. That's the beauty of it."
Al
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for Al           Edit/Delete Post 
Are there really t-shirts?
Posts: 237 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

There might be, if someone can get them made by CafePress.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I really get free girl scout cookies? Yay! I'm so in!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
I know that Hatrack was probably the source because I did a google search for the term back when the question was first posted. I don't think I came up with anything.

Also, someday I'm going to figure out a way to get a screenwriter or author to slip it into a book or movie. Then when one of you sees it, you'll get excited that you finally figured it out before realizing that the book or movie came after the Hatrack thread. [Evil Laugh]

Well, we aren't the only people who like this crazy quote.......

Steven Brust just included it in his new Vlad Taltos book.

[Big Grin]

He starts each chapter with fake quotes from an imaginary play that is being performed in his character's world, and they said this. I did a HUGE double take, and then began laughing in the middle of the bookstore.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swampfrog
Member # 11690

- posted      Profile for swampfrog           Edit/Delete Post 
http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/hosmackah/beauty/
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure it was decided that the quote was insufficiently close, and that the source was too obscure to account for the feeling of familiarity associated with it.

Good try though. Welcome to Hatrack. [Smile]

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, is that Frog the Q who is posting. Are you in India?
if so you caught me [Wave]

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swampfrog
Member # 11690

quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
I'm pretty sure it was decided that the quote was insufficiently close, and that the source was too obscure to account for the feeling of familiarity associated with it.

I was thinking that clip may have been excerpted into something more familiar, like The Wonder Years. I've never seen the series, but that clip seemed familiar...
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swampfrog
Member # 11690

quote:
Originally posted by T:man:
Welcome, is that Frog the Q who is posting. Are you in India?
if so you caught me [Wave]

Nope, long time lurker...
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:

Both....although I am pretty sure that is where I remember it from, although I can't be sure.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember. Have we considered Abott and Costello, and/or The Three Stooges as possible originators?
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yes.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd definitely never seen that before until it was linked on Hatrack. My "memory" of the quote - in terms of enunciation and stress - is also very precise .
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Why in the world won't this quote die!?!?

[Wall Bash]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
quote:

Both....although I am pretty sure that is where I remember it from, although I can't be sure.
I think it's sufficiently close to account for people with a true memory who might have seen it despite its obscurity - I mean, it's pretty darn close.

And the explanation that this quote just sounds a lot like other quotes, and thereby evokes a certain amount of memory feeling, makes up for the obscurity.

In other words, I think it wins. Not that my opinion matters. I haven't even read the thread other than half of the first page and half of the last page. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
Why in the world won't this quote die!?!?

[Wall Bash]

Because that's the beauty of it?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.