FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It doesn't do anything. That's the beauty of it. (Page 5)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: It doesn't do anything. That's the beauty of it.
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
I've done an extensive web search and I've concluded that the above quote did indeed start here. Here's the link http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=014464#000009

Notice the date. April 3rd. 7 days before ssywak posted it on IMDb...and look ssywak actually posted on our boards first!!! Philotic web didn't pick on it til July. Here's the link. http://www.philoticweb.net/openbb/read.php?TID=2743

Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lefty the One-armed Man
Member # 6161

- posted      Profile for Lefty the One-armed Man           Edit/Delete Post 
This one's from the blog. It's unsubstantiated, though.

Sherlock Holmes And The Computer AUG 05 03
by Thomas H. Hunter, http://www.icubed.com/~thunter/stories/computer.htm
"But what does it do, Holmes?" "Anything, Watson! That's the beauty of it--a machine that is not restricted to a single task, but can do anything you ask of it." "But what is it doing now?" "Er, nothing really." muttered Holmes as he tried to block my view of the clattering typewriter. (Pretty good, but needs date)

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think Thalia started it.

I was the first carrier, though, to actually go and expose people outside of our tight-knit little community.

Unless, of course, Thalia will admit to picking up the idea from my IMDB post...

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

I think it's interesting how one little post can spread around the internet. It's like a virus and
ssywak is our Typoid Mary.

Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
So Thalia was Patient Zero?
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think so. Didn't she say that she and some friends had been trying to figure it out but couldn't?

The moral of the story: all your friends should be Hatrackers.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the quote is from a commercial which is why we can't find it.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
I can really hear Shake from Aqua Teen saying this, but I can't find a quote anywhere. I think that this is just one of those common things that you hear in real life in some form or other that for some reason we can't seem to find as a pop culture reference. It seems like this is something that's been with me for awhile, like since grade school (10-12 years ago (so maybe not that long by some standards)).

Eh, whatever.

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

That is true Rivka. However Thalia's post is the first case of the quote online. Thus it went from a local virus to a global epidemic.
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
While I can imagine Shake saying that as well, the discussion is definitely older than ATHF.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Charlie and The chocolate Factory? Willy Wonka would have said it, I'm not positive, and plan to rent the movie today, but it seems incredibly possible (and a few of my friends agreed). Sorry to bring this thing up again, and especcially if this one has already been mentioned.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
It's certainly plausible, breyerchic.

So, lem... what happened to the movie you were so sure of? Didja go home and watch it?

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Breyerchic asked me and i told her.... It is from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.... I guess i should stop ignoring hatrack for long periods of time... i was unable to participate in 90% of the conversations at Breyerchic's house last night...
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
JT, it isn't.

For the 12,000 time, it really isn't WWatCF.

Feel free to PROVE me wrong, if you can. The operative word being PROVE.

As in PROOF.... [Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Just checked out "Flight of the Navigator."

Nope.

Fun movie, though. Silly. Quite silly. You could tell that it desperately wanted to be an IMAX film, though!

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

BTW, the rule is this:

You have to have read the book, or the comic, or seen the movie, or the TV show, or the commercial RECENTLY. Almost (but not quite) solely for the purpose of responding to this search.

Saying, "I seem to recall this line from 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' when I saw it three months ago" DOES NOT COUNT.

Saying, "A friend of mine says she saw it on the Simpsons episode last week," similarly DOES NOT COUNT.

You need direct, recent experience.

You also have to be able to quote chapter and verse, or scene, or whatever. Links, if possible, are required.

Otherwise, you're just a poser. A wannabee. A charlatan. A faker. A fakir. A snausage.

Please continue.

lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's certainly plausible, breyerchic.

So, lem... what happened to the movie you were so sure of? Didja go home and watch it?

Nope, I am in middle of moving, and it was one of the first things my wife packed. We packed days early, unlike me, she is good at preperation.

Tuesday we move into our new house. I will celebrate by watching the where I think it is from. However, after reading this entire post and some posts on other boards, I am loosing a lot of confidence. But I will check back with you all after I see it.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I planned on renting the movie today to check it, I just wanted to post it before it was out of my mind. But I won't be suprised if that isn't it.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
See I am evil..........now you are all losing your minds.........next your brains will ooze out of your ears..........so far everything is going according to plan
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

It is definitely NOT Charlie.

Those who think it is, go ahead! Tell us who is speaking and what they are describing.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that Hatrack was probably the source because I did a google search for the term back when the question was first posted. I don't think I came up with anything.

Also, someday I'm going to figure out a way to get a screenwriter or author to slip it into a book or movie. Then when one of you sees it, you'll get excited that you finally figured it out before realizing that the book or movie came after the Hatrack thread. [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Tuesday, lem? Why don't you just tell us where you think it is... someone will have a copy and be able to check. [Smile] You'll still get credit.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I wouldn't be suprised if it shows up in the NEW Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, though..

Imagine Johnny Depp saying it... [Big Grin]

[ February 15, 2005, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Except they're trying to stay very very true to the book, and it is NOT in there . . . I think.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wouldn;t be suprised if ti shows up in the NEW Charlie adn teh Chocolate Factory, though..
Rough night last night, huh Kwea.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I repeated the line at a family gathering recently and my bros (none of which are hatrackers) all swear they've heard it before too. Of course no one could pinpoint where...... It must be something we come to earth programmed with. [Big Grin] [Razz]
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Ralphie, I was intoxicated with your presence, as usual. [Evil]

As far as the new CatCF, not all the dialog can come from the book, you know.

[ February 15, 2005, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
I just skimmed this thread, and one thing struck me. Every time someone is almost sure they are about to have proof, the tape or book or DVD just happens to be lost in the mail, or borrowed by a friend, or on reserve at the library, or misplaced in a moving box......

It is a sentient meme, whose sole purpose is to stay hidden. (What does it do? Nothing! Not even appear to view!)

My other theory is that it's from a children's classic. That would explain its universality, and the fact that people can hear it in voices from Kramer to Bart to Kirk -- it came from a print source.

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Let it die, people. Just let it die.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

I found it!

I FOUND IT!

It's

The Federal Government
Member # 6807

- posted      Profile for The Federal Government           Edit/Delete Post 
We are sorry to inform you that the information you seek is protected under a "Need to Know" order, and is considered classified.

Please, return to your miserable lives.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

[ROFL]
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
You know... maybe it is on an old cartoon, and we watched it many, many times in our childhood. That is why we remember it so well, and why we can't definitavely find the source.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
You know -- I think it is the Oversoul. Everytime we think we have the answer - every time we are close to having the answer -- the Oversoul makes our mind lose focus and we forget.....

[Big Grin]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it is the one universal truth at the center of it all.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Confused]

FG, did you say something? [Dont Know]

DeadWolfBones
Member # 7426

- posted      Profile for DeadWolfBones   Email DeadWolfBones         Edit/Delete Post 
Another false lead, but I think this might have been what someone was talking about a few pages back (re: a particularly useless-looking invention). From Space Ghost Coast to Coast, episode "Flipmode":

quote:
Space Ghost: I know! My God, how many times do I have to tell you that? Hey, wood! (beat) We should build something.

(Black screen with caption: "SEVEN HOURS LATER". Cut to set. Two boards are nailed together in an upside-down v shape. An extension cord is taped to one board.)

Moltar: Wow. What's it do?

Space Ghost: It's symbolic, Moltar. Things don't always have to do things. Now, help me plug it into the wall.

<Edit: Fixed UBB code -- PJ>

[ May 05, 2005, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Papa Janitor ]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, much too recent. But a great show nonetheless.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
The source.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's good to finally have an answer to that.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
Finally. [Smile]
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
...speechless...
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

I wonder if I could photoshop some of the other possibilities into the background. It would make for an awfully fantastic drawing if someone could draw well enough to do it that way.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Click click click on the link, click on the link, click on the link!
Teshi
Member # 5024

*sigh*

Very good.

*pat pat*

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

[Razz]
Teshi
Member # 5024

[Wink]
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
NO!!! You've brought it into my head again. Stop cursing me! *bursts into tears* NOOOO! [Cry]

Edit: This is really going to bug me, AGAIN!

[ May 05, 2005, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
NOOOOOOO!

*kicks Nathan for bumping the thread*

[Mad]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! Why? It was buried forever. Curse you...
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.