FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  63  64  65   
Author Topic: I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently I have a UTI. Another doctor from my doctor's office called to say someone had put my urinalysis report in front of her. She doesn't have my file so she doesn't know my blood test results. But she said I have a UTI and she is calling in a prescription for me. Go figure. I had no clue. What are the normal symptoms for a UTI, does anyone know?
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
An almost constant urge to urinate, pain/burning during urination, and sometimes cloudy or bloody urine. They suck, but clear up easily with antibiotics.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that pregnancy can "mask" the symptoms of a UTI, but I'm not sure what that means. I was diagnosed with a UTI towards the end of my last pregnancy, and I didn't have much in the way of symptoms. Maybe a little discomfort in the bladder area, but who can notice a tiny thing like that amongst all the other things pregnancy does to one's body? :smirk:
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
A typical UTI involves symptoms like burning with urination, increased frequency, bloody urine or bad smelling urine.

But we don't normally test asymptomatic people. Sometimes people can have some bacteria or white cells in urine that clears up and so no testing and no treatment get initiated.

When pregnant, though, they want to treat even asymptomatic women. So if they find it (white cells or bacteria), they always treat it.

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to say I love readin about you wonderful pregnant ladies. [Smile] There's part of me that misses those days.

I do have one thing to remind you of, though - it's almost August and the hottest part of the summer. Make sure you are getting plenty of water for you and the little one. Spending the night in the hospital because you're dehydrated and the doctor wants you on IV fluids is no fun. I've done it.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Mama, I've had 2 UTIs so far. With the first, i had such constant pain in my groin that I couldn't sleep at night. The second, I had no symptoms, they just tested me routinely b/c I'd had one before. I just got tested for another today. Apparently, UTIs are extremely common for pregnant women. Both times I was treated with (baby-safe) antibiotics and it cleared right up.

On another note, we're surprising friends this weekend with my pregnancy. We haven't told them and we're seeing them for the first time in a year.

Gotta run - Shabbos.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
I drink a LOT of water while at work (about 4 32oz. glasses a day), but I have a hard time remembering to drink water at home in the evenings and especially on the weekends.

I definitely have the asymptomatic UTI. I had no clue. I wonder if I am more prone to them this time because of the tilted uterus.

Oh well. Only 3 days and approximately 8 hours until Pop comes home! Yay!!!

Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I told Mr. Opera today that I must be allergic to the baby. [Wink] Seriously, my allergies have been 20 times worse since I got pregnant. Today was hell, beginning with waking at 6 in the morning unable to breathe and continuing with sneezing fits and swollen, red eyes all day. Anyone else having problems?

We're going next month to have a maternity portrait taken. Normally I wouldn't have even thought of it, but we got a coupon thingy in the mail for a free session and 8 x 10. I'm thinking of just having a close-up of my belly done with all of our hands on it (mine, Mr. Opera's, Boy Opera's, and Operaetta's).

It amazes me how much my children already love this baby. A part of me wonders if they're so overly-protective of him already because of our miscarriage (I hate that word - it makes it sound like you dropped the baby or something). Operaetta asked just the other day if this baby would be okay. We've decided to plant a cherry tree in the yard in memory of the baby that we lost, and that seems right to all of us.

Wow, can you tell the hormones have kicked back in? I'm either trying not to scream at people or trying to hold back tears because I feel like such a lucky woman.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, tilted uteruses are so common. I don't think they change the frequency of UTIs.

Here's what a medical program called UpToDate says about pregnancy UTIs:

Epidemiology — Bacteriuria occurs in 2 to 7 percent of pregnancies, particularly in multiparous women, a similar prevalence as in nonpregnant women. The organisms are also similar in species and virulence factors in pregnant and nonpregnant women. Thus the basic mechanism of entry of bacteria into the urinary tract is likely to be the same for both groups.

Bacteriuria often develops in the first month of pregnancy and is frequently associated with a reduction in concentrating ability, suggesting involvement of the kidney. The smooth muscle relaxation and subsequent ureteral dilatation that accompany pregnancy are thought to facilitate the ascent of bacteria from the bladder to the kidney. As a result, bacteriuria during pregnancy has a greater propensity to progress to pyelonephritis (up to 40 percent) than in nonpregnant women.

Bacteriuria is also associated with an increased risk of preterm birth, low birth weight, and perinatal mortality [4-8]. As an example, a review of over 50,000 pregnancies between 1959 and 1966 showed that women with bacteriuria and/or pyuria (no comment on the presence or absence of symptoms) in the last two weeks of pregnancy had a higher rate of perinatal mortality from a variety of causes than did noninfected women. Treatment of bacteriuria during pregnancy reduces the incidence of these complications and lowers the long-term risk of sequelae following asymptomatic bacteriuria.

That's why OBs check so often and are so careful to do follow up testing.

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
SO, a significant percentage of women find their allergies are much worse when pregnant. I am in that group. [Razz]

So much so that my doctor had me try a number of class C drugs (only in my third trimester) to see if anything would help. (There really aren't any class B allergy meds.)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

I have UTI number 3. It's the same strain as the first one I had. I'm actually pretty pleased, because this one was pretty painful. At one point last week, I was having trouble walking and I was afraid my pelvis had separated. I'm getting antibiotics.

I'm also going to be given antibiotics as soon as I go into labor, to eliminate the chance of me passing the bacteria to the baby. I'm a little freaked out about that, since I'm slightly antibiotic phobic.

My cervix is high and closed, which is good, and Andrew got to meet my Richmond doctor.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
Allergies: Pregnancy does funky things to one's immune system. I don't go outside and that seems to help with allergy related problems.

UTIs: Hope all the moms-to-be dealing with this get better soon! I had one in my second pregnancy in my third trimester. We kept thinking I was going into labour and then realized the UTI was causing the cramps. Cleared up with antibiotics.

All is well here. Still struggling with nausea and still up only 3 pounds. I had my second (and last, I hope) ultrasound yesterday. The baby, which our kids call "Peep", is fine and growing well. Our due date (Christmas Day) is still bang on.

Sadly this baby is appearantly a prude and refused to "display" strategic parts of his body during the ultrasound. I guess we'll find out if this is a boy or girl the old fashioned way. My hunch: I think it's a boy.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

I'm a bit freaked out - I started leaking colostrum. It's just a tiny bit, but I didn't expect it until much later.

Other than that, everything is fine. Ladybug's wardrobe has already exceeded her father's.

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
That started at about four months for me. Freaked me out a bit too, but the doctor said it was fine.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Miriya, I gained barely any weight up until now (I'm almost 30 weeks) - about 10 pounds. Over the last 6 weeks I've gained 10 more...yikes! Obviously I've decided to put the bulk of my weight on during the last trimester. With my daughter it was the exact opposite. Isn't that strange how things are so different each time?

My hands have started swelling recently - oh, joy. I took my wedding rings off for the remainder of the pregnancy last week. Allergies are still pretty icky, but it's good to know that hopefully the severity is simply pregnancy-related.

Dr. appointment tommorow - down to every 2 weeks now!

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seespot
Member # 7388

- posted      Profile for seespot   Email seespot         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this thread. I'll be 36 weeks tomorrow. We have an interesting adventure in fron of us, as we have to be out of our apartment 3 weeks from yesterday. We were going to be closing on a house in less than 2 weeks, but that fell through. So. . . don't know where we are going to live. Fun and Exciting! But we are so excited for our baby to join us on this great adventure. . .
Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

quote:
We have an interesting adventure in fron of us, as we have to be out of our apartment 3 weeks from yesterday. We were going to be closing on a house in less than 2 weeks, but that fell through. So. . . don't know where we are going to live. Fun and Exciting!
Well... that brings back memories. When we were expecting our second child, we still lived in an apartment in University residence. This worked well seeing as we were both working at the U. With a second child on the way, I started looking for a nicer condo apartment (read: with in suite laundry [Smile] ) We found one near my mom that was just perfect. Our lease had to begin Aug. 1. Baby was due July 28. I had planned a home birth. [Wall Bash]

Things actually went remarkably well. I arranged to use the guest room in my brother's home for my birth. (we're close) I was in very early labour when we did the move with the big truck.Then I went over to my brother's had my baby (a week late). Next day I put him in a sling and finished moving. Everyone thought we were insane but the memories are fun and the pictures are priceless. [Big Grin]

Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Wow, and I was complaining about having to move at 3.5 months. Good luck, seespot.

I think I'm feeling some kicking, but I'm not sure. It's like little thumps in the bottom left of my abdomen and they're not regular at all. What do y'all think?

I'd like to see a due date thread or we could all list our due dates here. I have a vague idea when everyone is due, but I'd like to know exactly.

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, me too Mrs. M. Everyone, list your due date!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Either Valentine's Day or Earlier In February. I don't really know. [Smile]

Mrs.M, I keep thinking I've felt a wiggle in my womb, and I'm just barely second trimester, or not quite, depending on which due date I go with. [Big Grin]

I guess there's no way to really *know*.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

beverly, I read that you feel the baby earlier with each subsequent pregnancy, so who knows?

I'm December 18th. It's pretty accurate, as I was on fertility treatments and inseminated. [Smile]

Miriya
Member # 7822

I'm due [Laugh] December 25.

Mrs. M & Beverly: I started feeling early indistinct movements a few weeks ago. (this isn't my first pregnancy). The movement is daily and frequent now (20 weeks) although it is still too light for others to feel the movements.

beverly
Member # 6246

Well, both of you are far enough along that you are probably feeling actual fetal movement. At barely 13 wks, I'm probably imagining things. [Smile]

The neat thing is when you get your 20 wk ultrasound, and you can tell that it is the baby's movement that you are feeling. The baby kicks on the screen, and you feel it! [Big Grin]

seespot
Member # 7388

My due date is september 3. My husband would love it if she were born on Aug 15. It's possible, but I tell him to dream on. . . .
Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm due today.
Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seespot
Member # 7388

How exciting!!! It won't be long now. But from what I hear, it can also seem like forever. . . Good luck!!
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! I'm going crazy!! I just want to hold him!
Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by beverly:
Well, both of you are far enough along that you are probably feeling actual fetal movement. At barely 13 wks, I'm probably imagining things. [Smile]

Not necessarily. Multiparas are often able to detect fetal movement as early as 12 weeks. (I was, but only with kid #3.)

Mrs.M, sounds like it's quite likely baby movement. [Smile] (Not necessarily "kicking" -- head butts and tushy shoves are the easiest to detect. [Wink] )

Good luck, seespot! Any way to extend your lease, at least a month or two?

divaesefani, good luck! [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
Not necessarily. Multiparas are often able to detect fetal movement as early as 12 weeks. (I was, but only with kid #3.)
Ooo, really? I had not heard anything like that. Maybe it isn't just in my head!
rivka
Member # 4859

So said my OB. They'll be very slight that early, and I only felt them when I was lying down and relaxing (reading, mostly).

Certainly the fetus moves independently earlier than that (starting about 8 weeks, I think).

By the time you're at 12 weeks the kid is a whole 2 inches long! Plenty big enough to make (barely) detectable movements. [Big Grin]

Space Opera
Member # 6504

My due date is October 16th or so.

[Cry] I need to whine for a moment. Ok, I mean, whine more than I've done on previous occasions. I'm having soooo much trouble sleeping. I've had troubles the entire pregnancy falling asleep, but now that I'm bigger it's really bad. Last night I was up till about 4:00am.

And that's not the worst part! I woke up about 4:30am coughing, ran to the bathroom, and promptly vomited a ton. I have no idea why I got sick; that's the first time I've actually thrown up in several years. It's bad enough to wake up to pee, but I really feel that waking up to puke is just asking too much of me right now.

divaesefani, happy due date!

space opera

beverly
Member # 6246

I've been noticing, especially in the last week or so, that my sight is alarmingly blurry when I am wearing my glasses. [Frown]

Should I see my optomologist? Or should I chalk this development up to pregnancy symptoms that will continue to erratically change and then clear up afterward? There would be no point getting new glasses for that.

beverly
Member # 6246

SO, I'm sorry. I am so lost without good sleep. About the sudden nausea, I find when I am pregnant and laying down, I often have to suddenly sit up and burp or I *will* be ill. Stuff coming up my throat. Just one of those things. Maybe if the feeling crept up on me, I would have an episode like that.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by beverly:
I've been noticing, especially in the last week or so, that my sight is alarmingly blurry when I am wearing my glasses. [Frown]

Should I see my optomologist? Or should I chalk this development up to pregnancy symptoms that will continue to erratically change and then clear up afterward? There would be no point getting new glasses for that.

Be sure to mention it to your doctor. While blurry vision is often just a symptom of your fluctuating fluid levels, it can be a serious symptom as well. Especially if accompanied by other symptoms such as swelling of hands or face, severe headache, or vomiting.

It's probably just an annoyance, but it's a good idea to let your doctor know. [Smile]

beverly
Member # 6246

Will do. [Smile]
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember right it can be a symptom of high blood pressure, so you really need to let your doctor know.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seespot
Member # 7388

Well, things have changed with the move--thank goodness! We have decided to stay in Miami for the time being instead of moving to Tampa. We got a larger apartment in the same apartment complex, so we are going from 1 bedroom to 3 bedrooms. Yipee! The move will happen august 22, which is hopefully before the baby--I'll be 38 weeks.

As disappointed as we are not to be leaving Miami(we really are ready to move back to the USA), we are feeling better about life financially. I'm happy not to be living in a hotel either before or after the baby is born. It also allows me to grow my business more in Miami.

beverly
Member # 6246

Ooo, I am embarrassed to post this, but last night I discovered the source of my poor eyesight. It wasn't my pregnancy or any other health issue.

It was my glasses.

You see, I have a pretty strong astigmatism, so even the slightest change in angle can totally disrupt my eyesight.

Apparently the nose-piece on my glasses had been tweaked just enough that one of the lenses was tilted oh-so-slightly, totally blurring up my vision in that eye.

A little bending, and viola! I can see as well as ever! [Smile] [Blushing]

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

beverly, I'm glad the probem wasn't pregnancy-related and that it's fixed.

SO, I sympathize! I've been having stomach issues the past couple of days and it's not fun. Having your sleep disrupted is no picnic, either. I was telling someone that I was having trouble sleeping and they laughingly said that it would be practice for when the baby gets here. I somehow refrained from kicking them in the shins.

seespot, I'm glad you've got a place. I'm not a huge fan of Miami, either, but you won't be there forever.

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Also, where is my beautiful pregnancy experience? Seriously. My left boob is leaking like crazy - just the left one, which is freaking me out. My stomach is upset from the third round of antibiotics for UTI #3. My back hurts and I can't sleep. Not to mention the ligament pain. I try not to complain (offline), but it's starting to tick me off. Why can't I be one of those women who sails through her pregnancy and misses it after the baby's born?

Although, Ladybug loves Bach and I think that's pretty cool. She moves around like crazy whenever I play any and she doesn't do that for any other composer (we listen to all the majors - Beethoven, Mozart, Handel, Chopin, Vivaldi, Debussy, Tchaikovsky, etc.)

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe she's just writhing in agony. [Wink]

And from what I've heard, pregnancy isn't something most women sail through. [Smile]

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Nah. Just the lucky ones. And we hates them. We hates them, my precious!
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, where is my beautiful pregnancy experience? Seriously. My left boob is leaking like crazy - just the left one, which is freaking me out. My stomach is upset from the third round of antibiotics for UTI #3. My back hurts and I can't sleep. Not to mention the ligament pain. I try not to complain (offline), but it's starting to tick me off.
I also don't know where you got the idea that everyone else doesn't also go through all these same griefs. That's pretty much just how it is with pregnancy.

Now...after-the-fact.... we seem to develop "selective" memories, and only remember the good parts..

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Farmgirl, everyone - from my mother to my mother-in-law to my cousins to the women on the stupid pregnancy forums - raves about how wonderful it was/is to be pregnant. Yesterday my mother-in-law told me that most people love being pregnant because the hormones make them feel so good. Since I know she means well (and, frankly, I don't want to pay for the baby's college), I didn't say anything.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who can't wait to not be pregnant anymore.

beverly
Member # 6246

Pregnancy is fraught with discomforts. So many things you have to deal with. I've occasionally heard women say that pregnancy hormones give them a "high". Well, isn't that spaecshial for them? [Wink]

The good thing about pregnancy is feeling close to your baby and the anticipation of his/her arrival. That is pretty amazing.

rivka
Member # 4859

I had relatively easy pregnancies -- in that, unlike a couple of my friends, I wasn't hospitalized at any point before L&D. But my allergies flared up, I had sciatica (which got REALLY bad with #3), and I was exhausted.

The best part of each pregnancy was when it was OVER. I know there are women who love being pregnant, but I swear. They're aliens. [Razz]

Space Opera
Member # 6504

Hormones make you feel good?! Anyone who says that is insane.

My hormones make me feel so good that after waking up to my husband's alarm this morning (he'd pushed snooze several times) after getting approximately 4 1/2 hours of sleep I spent the next 45 minutes in the bathroom sobbing. I'm tired of feeling completely out of control and not myself.

I like the big belly, I like feeling the kicks, I like the anticipation, but I'm not enjoying the rest of the process.

space opera

seespot
Member # 7388

I have had a really good pregnancy, so I really can't complain. However, I wouldn't say I love being pregnant. I miss running, laying on my stomach, seeing my toes, normal sized feet and ankles, tying my shoes easily, wearing cute shoes and normal clothes, not crying at every stupid little thing, and who knows what else. However, when Abby finally decides to make her appearance, I'm sure my memory will become very selective!
divaesefani
Member # 3763

Well, 5 days after my due date, and I've currently been having contractions for 8 hours. I'm meeting my midwife in about a half an hour to "make a plan." She wouldn't just let me go get checked 2 hours ago at the hospital. Grrrrr! I've been in labor since midnight! (I'm mostly just mad because of the 3 midwives, the one on call today is the one I don't like much.)

Anyways, next time I drop by, I'll have a cute baby boy!

rivka
Member # 4859

Good luck!
  This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  63  64  65   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.