FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread (Page 4)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  63  64  65   
Author Topic: I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread
Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
Theca, I agree here too. I would feel very weirded out by being seperated from my baby for three hours after birth. I can see needing to send the baby to the nursery if I didn't have my husband or other support person around But I'd HATE it to just have the baby taken when I felt up to having them with me to bond, establish breastfeeding etc.
Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

Space Opera - you have my sympathies. I thought I was going into labour repeatedly with my third child. I felt very goofy considering it was a third child and I should have KNOWN what I was doing. She was almost two weeks overdue. [Mad]

I went in to the hospital at 28 weeks with my first one. I had a some spotting and had regular contractions. They hooked me up to one of those contraction monitors and I was going right off the chart every two minutes.... but NOTHING was happening. I heard a nurse ask the OB about this and he said "she just has an irritable uterus" I was certainly irritable about being there!
quote:
Moral of the story: if my contractions are regular, stay home. When they get irregular, it might be the real thing.
True for me too. My braxton hicks are almost always very regular (say every 2-3 minutes for a few hours) and then go away. This time around I'm already having episodes like that, at only 27 weeks. [Wall Bash] My real labour contractions never get that regular... but I think I'll recognize them this time. Fourth time is the charm! [Big Grin]
Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe because I didn't know any different, I had no problems with the staff taking the kids after birth. I had time to cuddle each of them after their initial apgars and measurements, and then I had a nice little nap before I had to deal with family or nurses or anyone else in my room. With my two, the hospital wasn't yet doing live-in arrangements, and the eldest spent a lot of time under bili lights anyway. The two that I carried pseudo-surrogate lived in with me after birth until it was time for me to go home. And to be honest, I can't say that I prefer one situation over the other, because I was in very different emotional and maturity states at the time, and each time it seemed *right* to me.

And in response to the question on the last page about missing being pregnant, I periodically found myself wondering why I wasn't feeling movement in the first couple days after delivery. Mostly when I first woke up in the mornings or after a nap. Or I'd wake up on my belly or side and wonder how I managed that one with a watermelon of a gut. But even though I had four very easy pregnancies, I never really found myself wishing that it wasn't over. Little things like being able to tie my own shoes or get up off the couch without laying down on my side and rolling off... those wonderful things we take for granted the rest of our lives. heehee

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, thinking about it, they broke up the tests at the hospital I was at anyway. They never kept her more than an hour at a time unless I asked them to.

I was too dazed to notice at the time, anyway.

I think for me what I missed, really, was being able to protect her completely-- to feed her, take care of her, and all I had to do was feed and take care of myself. It was hard for me to let her be her own person for the first few days.

Luckily, for the first few days (weeks) she was breastfeeding 30-40 minutes at a time every hour and a half or so anyway. Or not so luckily. [Wink]

As for contractions, I had hard, strong, regular contractions for two weeks before my OB took pity and induced me 2 days past my due date (which I kept saying wasn't right, and they confirmed that after she was born...)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I am back to my pre-pregnancy weight again. The first time I went back down was because of one day of the stomach flu. This time the culprit is diarrhea (I know, tmi). The diarrhea appears to have stopped, but I am still having cramps sometimes. If I still have cramps tomorrow I may call the doctor.

I am still waiting to feel the baby move. I am 17 1/2 weeks so it should be soon. I think it was around 18 to 19 weeks that I have felt them the other two pregnancies. I think feeling the baby move is my favorite part of being pregnant.

Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww, I like that, too.

I hope I'm able to get to a doctor soon. I'd like to know how far along I really am. The only way they're going to figure it out is with a sonogram. *sigh*

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miriya:
quote:
Moral of the story: if my contractions are regular, stay home. When they get irregular, it might be the real thing.
True for me too. My braxton hicks are almost always very regular (say every 2-3 minutes for a few hours) and then go away. This time around I'm already having episodes like that, at only 27 weeks. [Wall Bash] My real labour contractions never get that regular... but I think I'll recognize them this time. Fourth time is the charm! [Big Grin]
Cool! You're the first woman to whom I'm not related I know that has that. [Smile]

I'm not alone! [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I hope I'm able to get to a doctor soon. I'd like to know how far along I really am. The only way they're going to figure it out is with a sonogram. *sigh*

Not necessarily. Measurment of the fundus can be quite accurate, especially in the second trimester. Also, when the fetal heartbeat is first detected -- but too late for that, presumably. Probably too late for the fetal heart rate spike too.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! I can totally relate to the hard, regular, close contractions that nothing comes of. Hopefully I will be better prepared to deal with such "confusion" this time.

I have my 20-week ultrasound tomorrow! I'm psyched! And I *might* get one o' them new-fangled 4D machines! (If I'm lucky)

quote:
Measurment of the fundus can be quite accurate, especially in the second trimester.
Hmmm... troubling since I am measuring rather big on the fundus as well as the early ultrasound.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

What does your doctor say about that, beverly? I assume twins have been ruled out. [Wink]

Keep in mind that the uterine muscles do tend not to snap back all the way after a few pregnancies. This birth will make you a grand multipara, neh?

beverly
Member # 6246

Well, if I am having twins, one of them must be a ninja. Didn't show up on the first ultrasound. [Wink]

I won't be a grand mulitpara *yet*. This is number 4, though it is prengancy number 5. I suppose loose muscles might explain it. Or maybe it's fast-growing demon-spawn a la Buffyverse.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Oops. Why did I think you had four kids already? [Dont Know]

This is the sort of question that your doctor, I'm sure, would be happy to answer and set your mind at ease about . . . although most are not experts on fast-growing-demon-spawn.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[quote] Measurment of the fundus can be quite accurate, especially in the second trimester.[/qoute]

Well, I sure hope I get in to the doctor before the second trimester.
It may not be too late for the spike, although it may be.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Well, I sure hope I get in to the doctor before the second trimester.
Oh, I certainly hope so! I was merely saying that an ultrasound (which can be fairly expensive, even with insurance) might not be necessary to make the determination.

Besides, even if they do an ultrasound, the most common time to do one is between the 20 and 24 weeks, IIRC.

beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
This is the sort of question that your doctor, I'm sure, would be happy to answer and set your mind at ease about . . .
Well, the ultrasound tomorrow may shed some light on the issue. My CNM seemed a little surprised at my uterus size, but she said it wasn't uncommon.
rivka
Member # 4859

*nod* And the ultrasound should detect demon-spawn, if present. Unless they are ninja demon-spawn, of course.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[ROFL]

You say that so seriously. I love you. [Kiss]

As for the sonogram, I ended up having 5 my last pregnancy-- 2 of them in an attempt to get an accurate due date. Because my periods are so irregular, they wanted that extra assurance. (And apparently, they still got it wrong by about a week and a half-- luckily for me, they induced me just three days after my presumed due date. Otherwise Emma might have had problems.)

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
You say that so seriously. I love you. [Kiss]

Well, yes . . . should I not?

( [Wink] And you know I can manage the dead-pan delivery in person too. [Big Grin] )

Yeah, given your history, a quick ultrasound with the smaller machines most OB-gyns keep on hand is probably indicated.

*thought* I'm very bad with geography. Santa Monica is not at all convenient to you, neh? Like, it's even in the completely wrong direction? Because the ob-gyn who delivered all three of mine (well, she didn't get there fast enough to deliver #3, but her name is on the birth certificate anyway) is in Santa Monica. And last I checked, she was on a bunch of insurance lists, including Blue Cross.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Santa Monica is about an hour from us. And I don't like female doctors. (Not on a personal level, I just don't like to go to them. I love the ones we have here, and I don't doubt their competence or anything-- I just have issues from my childhood with female doctors.)
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, nevermind then. [Smile]
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I *might* get one o' them new-fangled 4D machines!
WOW!!!! [Eek!]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, my sister-in-law had one of those when she was pregnant with my neice. It was pretty freakin' cool. [Big Grin] (She paid extra for it, though.)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Alright, the strange cravings have started. Today I want pineapple ham pizza, which only happens when I'm pregnant.

Last time, I had an aversion to Ranch dressing, which I had always enjoyed before and after. This time, Ranch is fine, but I can't stand the thought of meatballs. [Dont Know]

Actually, the aversion to meatballs started about three weeks ago. Thinking back, that may have been my very first symptom. Weird.

School4ever
Member # 5575

- posted      Profile for School4ever   Email School4ever         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so I am not pregnant, but my husband and I did adopt a baby boy on September 7th.
Posts: 188 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

Congratulations School4ever. That's exciting!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Congrats!
Miriya
Member # 7822

I keep scrolling back wondering when everone is due so to save the effort I made a list. Please correct me if I'm off or I missed anyone.

Hatrack Mom.....Due Date.....Arrived! [Big Grin]

divaesfani......Aug. 5.......Aug. 10
seespot.........Sept. 3......Aug. 30
School4ever.....--------.....Sept. 7
Mrs. M..........Dec. 17......Sept. 12
Space Opera.....Oct. 16
Miriya..........Dec. 25
beverly.........Feb. 14
mama squirrel...Mar. 2
Brinestone......April 5
ketchup queen...TBA

There's definitely something in the water. They weren't sure I COULD get pregnant again... then I registered here and *BING*

[ September 27, 2005, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: Miriya ]

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Maybe I should start avoiding Hatrack.

[Angst]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*giggles*

Megan, if you have one and don't want it, I know some Hatrackers who would take it off your hands. You could consider yourself a surrogate for them. [Razz]

Diosmel Duda
Member # 2180

- posted      Profile for Diosmel Duda   Email Diosmel Duda         Edit/Delete Post 
My adjusted due date is April 5, by the way.

My food aversions are getting a bit out of hand. I'm starting to be able to handle sugar, but now fat is making me sick. Protein, fruits, and veggies are always good. I feel the best when I eat lots of meat and vegetables for dinner.

I've noticed that Cheerios and peanut butter toast is my best breakfast, feeling-good-wise. Probably because it's low sugar and highish protein.

Posts: 537 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

Hmmmm Diosmel... you're Brinestone right? If so which name to people actually know you by. [Dont Know] I get thrown by all the aliases.
Diosmel Duda
Member # 2180

- posted      Profile for Diosmel Duda   Email Diosmel Duda         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Brinestone, yes. This was my first name, but I switched to Brinestone two years ago. Currently Brinestone is at 999 posts and I'm trying to decide about a landmark. In the meantime, I switched to my old nick. Hope it's not too confusing.

If it's easier, you can just call me Ruth. That's what most people who know me do anyway.

Posts: 537 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

I'm sure I'll catch on when I've been around long enough. [Wink] If you plan to landmark as Brinestone I'll leave your due date listed as Brinestone too and I'll update it.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

SOOOO nauseated right now. [Frown]
beverly
Member # 6246

Congrats, Amy! I didn't know! [Big Grin]

Well, I did get to have a bit of the 4D imaging, but it was only a brief few frames that "moved" (very jerkily) and then it was freeze-framed on a very nice shot of our baby's face! So cool to have a portrait of our unborn child! We should be posting pics soon.

Oh, and it's a boy. [Big Grin]

Edit: Take it easy, KQ, and keep those crackers close at hand. [Frown]

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
We don't have Jenny G's date on there, where does she fit in?
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diosmel Duda
Member # 2180

Am I weird if I never had any desire to eat crackers when I felt nauseated?
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
No. With my first pregnancy just the thought of them made me nauseous.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

One of the only things that helps me.

And we're out. [Frown]

rivka
Member # 4859

Does ginger in another form help at all? I used to nibble on candied ginger to reduce my nausea.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Candied ginger does help, but ginger beer is milder and more pleasant-- less likely to trigger my heartburn. Plus the light carbonation also settles my tummy some.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I keep throwing up my prenatal vitamins.

Does anyone have anything that helps with that? [Frown]

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a time of day that you are least nauseous?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
kq, have you tried Preggie Drops? The one pregnancy symptom I didn't have much of was morning sickness, but these helped me a lot.

http://www.motherhood.com/Product.asp?Product_Id=94311012&category_Name=Morning+Sickness&Category_Id=1012&MasterCategory_Id=25

I think I still have some left and I'd be happy to send them to you - just email me your address if you'd like.

On another note, why hasn't my hair started falling out? It's just gotten thicker and thicker since I had Aerin.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Take the PNV with food? Split it up and take it partly with lunch, partly with dinner?

How do you do with phenergan for nausea? I know you don't have a doctor yet but your dad could order some or you could substitute benadryl for it. I also just put someone on reglan last month because phenergan wasn't helping and she thinks reglan works great.

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a dream last night that I was pregnant...could even feel the baby kick. It was so weird that this morning I felt my stomach just in case. Didn't feel nothing.

But still, it makes me nervous to have this hatrack epidemic going on of Pregnant ladies. Don't get me wrong, I am just aching to have a baby--but we just can't afford it right now. (I'd have to work, and I want to be able to stay home. So now's not the time.)

But if being a member of hatrack makes it inevitable....

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

kq, have you tried the vanilla-coated vitamins? I can't remember which brand(s) it is (there's at least one brand name and a generic), but they were an absolute lifesaver when I was pregnant.

They smell/taste like vanilla, instead of that nasty smell most multivitamins have.

whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried anice? The smell of it helped settle my stomach when I was pregnant.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

According to my midwives, prenatal vitamins aren't essential for women who eat a healthy diet, especially during the first trimester. Folic acid IS essential but can be taken by itself which is both cheaper and easier to swallow.

Thats what I did for my first trimester while my HG problems were at their worst.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to take my prenatal vitamins right before I went to bed. I fall asleep quickly, and apparently the nausea is not enough to wake me up, or else doesn't happen when I'm sleeping. That was the only way I could do it.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  63  64  65   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.